Author Topic: Scooters (Tus-tus) in Israel  (Read 11956 times)

Offline doublejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Scooters (Tus-tus) in Israel
« on: September 18, 2011, 09:05:46 AM »
I am planning a trip to Israel for entire Yomin Noraim. Going by myself (visiting friends/family). Thinking about renting or buying-then-selling a scooter.

Would love to hear from anyone who has done so in the past...

Working on figuring out:
  • If there is a way to get insured
  • How difficult it is to get the hang of
  • Best places to rent/buy(used)
  • Am I nuts?...

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
Re: Scooters (Tus-tus) in Israel
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »
I am planning a trip to Israel for entire Yomin Noraim. Going by myself (visiting friends/family). Thinking about renting or buying-then-selling a scooter.

Would love to hear from anyone who has done so in the past...

Working on figuring out:
  • If there is a way to get insured
  • How difficult it is to get the hang of
  • Best places to rent/buy(used)
  • Am I nuts?...

You deff arent nut!!
I live in Lakewood and drive one...

If you wanna buy and resell a site you could use is yad2.co.il
Its an israeli online site - there deff will be plenty on it, and you could resell it on that site

It isnt too difficult to drive (actually pretty easy- just gotta get the hang) the smaller ones - lower cc engine size will deff be easier.
If you want one just for local a 49cc will work, and those pretty easy to ride... the bigger the more you gotta get used to

There is a way to get insurance, but most of my friends that had when I was in Israel werent insured ...

Offline doublejay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 09:43:27 AM »
It isnt too difficult to drive (actually pretty easy- just gotta get the hang) the smaller ones - lower cc engine size will deff be easier.
If you want one just for local a 49cc will work, and those pretty easy to ride... the bigger the more you gotta get used to

There is a way to get insurance, but most of my friends that had when I was in Israel werent insured ...

Is it true that up to 50cc is legal with regular US drivers license?

How do I look into insurance?

Offline MnM1130

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »
u r nutz... if u really want info u can speak with my brother... insurance takes a long time to get- and its a fortune... he knows much more about it (he graduated to a motorcycle..) but buying in israel is not a joke as well- ull end up with a broken lied about piece of garbage and u wont be able to sell it for anything that you paid.... honestly.. rather just rent a car.

Offline doublejay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »
honestly.. rather just rent a car.

For a month!? I imagine that will cost a fortune!

I could buy a brand new scooter for $2,500 and sell it for $2,000 and do a lot better I imagine.

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 11:05:56 AM »
For a month!? I imagine that will cost a fortune!

I could buy a brand new scooter for $2,500 and sell it for $2,000 and do a lot better I imagine.
and where do u think u will buy a brand new scooter for $2500?? dream on man!!! this is ISRAEL!! and renting a car will be much chpr than that...

Offline doublejay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 11:15:15 AM »
and where do u think u will buy a brand new scooter for $2500?? dream on man!!! this is ISRAEL!! and renting a car will be much chpr than that...

How much is a car rental for a month?

Also, I don't think it will help me much b/c I need it primarily for short trips around Yerushalayim. Where would I park?

I plan on bouncing around a lot and would love to save time. If a scooter doesn't work out I may just bring a bicycle...but that isn't fun  :P

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 11:17:13 AM »
How much is a car rental for a month?

Also, I don't think it will help me much b/c I need it primarily for short trips around Yerushalayim. Where would I park?

I plan on bouncing around a lot and would love to save time. If a scooter doesn't work out I may just bring a bicycle...but that isn't fun  :P
i would imagine about 800$ a month or less (i did a quick glance on budget.co.il) but if you post in the car rental israel section pple are very helpful... i think u shud get the whole scooter idea outta ur head... (unless u can rent one like a car.. although have never seen that) and theres plenty of places to park in jlm... i say bring a bike- and take taxis around if need b...

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »
Is it true that up to 50cc is legal with regular US drivers license?

How do I look into insurance?

I'm in NJ so the law prob is a little different. I have a 49cc moped, and reg drivers license is good enough.
I registered it at the DMV, and insurance for the year costed me $90

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »
i would imagine about 800$ a month or less (i did a quick glance on budget.co.il) but if you post in the car rental israel section pple are very helpful... i think u shud get the whole scooter idea outta ur head... (unless u can rent one like a car.. although have never seen that) and theres plenty of places to park in jlm... i say bring a bike- and take taxis around if need b...

check budget.com not the .co.il the pricing may be cheaper.... also compare the price to the ariport pricing, it could be much cheaper in the airport. Last year I paid $427 for 3 weeks

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 02:00:41 PM »
When i was learning in israel, we once went to tel aviv and rented them for 24 hours. Was alot of fun. In tlv there are plenty of places that rent them. I am sure you can make a deal for a month. I dont remember how much we paid for a day and if we were insured. But a regular driving license did the job and we only had to give a cc as security, like a car rental

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 06:20:23 PM »

I'm looking into buying a tus-tus,
The guy that's selling it hasn't had it registered and inspected since Feb 2016.
Anyone know how much it would cost to bring it up to par? Including changing over names? How much of it can be done online if any?
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.