Author Topic: What cell phone are you currently using? And what are you upgrading to next?  (Read 122909 times)

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/63152

Started using this right before Pesach. Sold my broken HTC 1 M7 for $200.
can I ask where I've been trying to sell my working m8 for a while now
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Ebay.

Offline menachem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I have a verizon lg and desperately need a new phone. don't want to stay with verizon but move to pageplus. Any ideas of a new phone i can get for pageplus that doesn't cost a fortune? My current one is about 4 years old...

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
I have a verizon lg and desperately need a new phone. don't want to stay with verizon but move to pageplus. Any ideas of a new phone i can get for pageplus that doesn't cost a fortune? My current one is about 4 years old...
any verizon postpaid phone. 2 year old models should be cheap and still very good

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent

If it is in good condition, try swappa.com

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Ebay.
+1 I sell all old technology on eBay or save it if I have a trip to Israel in the works and sell it there.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline FlyFirst

• View Profile
iPhone 4 goes on PagePlus, you can find new and refurbished for decent prices

Offline menachem

• View Profile
iPhone 4 goes on PagePlus, you can find new and refurbished for decent prices

Thanks. I'm looking to buy an android. Any ideas?

Offline menachem

• View Profile
any verizon postpaid phone. 2 year old models should be cheap and still very good
Postpaid - In other words, I can't buy a new phone? only a used one?

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
just got my oneplus one, absolutely love it so far

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
Postpaid - In other words, I can't buy a new phone? only a used one?
It means it can't be a vzw Prepaid phone. It can be new.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I'm going to share my rather unpopular philosophy regarding the phone market.

...I don't care what's new anymore. These phones all more-or-less do the same thing these days.

Some of you who remember me from the early days of this forum know that I used to be a bonified phone nut (even before the forum - Dan, remember our talks regarding WinMo vs Palm? LOL). I was a regular contributor to XDA-Developers, wrote guides and FAQs and Tutorials, Custom Roms, heck I even turned it into a business at some point, desigining custom mobile solutions for fleet businesses. Co-founded Techcitement.com, offered a position blogging for BGR... you get the picture. Nothing came out in the cellular world that I wasn't aware of.

I'm not sure if I just got older or shifted hobbies, but one day I just sort of stopped caring what came out. I think it was while writing reviews for Techcitement, and I realized that the "low end" Android handsets were able to compete with the performance of the flagship ones. I started wondering why I was so obscessed with $500+ handsets (like the HTC EVO, flagship at the time), when the $99 no-contract Optimus S actually outperformed it in battery life, openGL frames per second, and just fit nicer in the hand and pocket. I mean, the phone cost less than an insruance deductible on my flagship, so it was somewhat disposable, yet a force to be reckoned with.

Fast-forward a few years to the modern phone era. I find expensive big phones a waste. I need two hands to use it, they don't fit nicely in a small pocket, and are very expensive to replace (and I got kids, so its not a matter of if but when something needs to be replaced). Now that I'm on a plan that doesn't offer subsidies (Sprint Framily), I buy all my phones on ebay. The unpopular year-old handsets are often less than $50 in perfect condition. My current handset is an LG F3, which I really love. Yes, the camera is just meh and it only has 4GB of memory, but rooting it lets me swap internal for external storage, and now I have 16gb internal. But more importantly, the thing is TINY, completely hidden in a shirt pocket yet still big enought to use comfortably, and CHEAP. I bought this one for less than $50 with the plastic still on it! It replaced my previous phone, the Galaxy Victory, which was the Sprint version of a Galaxy S3 mini. I loved that phone too, but it got run over by a car. :)
Want to know how much I paid for the Victory? A whopping $40. And it was practically brand new, looks like someone took it out the box and then sold it.

I'm not telling you this to brag. I know some people are really into the latest-and-greatest, and can't understand the appeal of a cheap phone that is more or less disposable. But if you don't, I want you to know that you aren't alone. You're not crazy for finding it silly, there are others like us out there!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:36:48 PM by Mordy »
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
Some extremely valid points!

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
Thanks Cozmo!

I'm actually feeling more strongly about this now that I'm also seeing newer flagship phones going unibody... non-removeable batteries and lack of a storage card slot are prime reasons I never cared for Apple. I had an HTC One X for about a month before I decided I hated it. The ergonomics didn't fit nicely in my hand, I couldn't reach the back button easily (without 2 hands, that is), and since it was used, the internal battery didn't last as long as it once did. I started looking into how to dismantle the phone and replace it, and then realized I don't even care enough to bother! The cheaps ones ALWAYS have removeable storage and batteries. And I buy a couple of cheap batteries for $10 to swap if I'm ever too lazy to plug it in at night. :)

Offline menachem

• View Profile
It means it can't be a vzw Prepaid phone. It can be new.
Any ideas of a cheap smartphone?

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
S4 mini?

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
I'm going to share my rather unpopular philosophy regarding the phone market.

...I don't care what's new anymore. These phones all more-or-less do the same thing these days.

Some of you who remember me from the early days of this forum know that I used to be a bonified phone nut (even before the forum - Dan, remember our talks regarding WinMo vs Palm? LOL). I was a regular contributor to XDA-Developers, wrote guides and FAQs and Tutorials, Custom Roms, heck I even turned it into a business at some point, desigining custom mobile solutions for fleet businesses. Co-founded Techcitement.com, offered a position blogging for BGR... you get the picture. Nothing came out in the cellular world that I wasn't aware of.

I'm not sure if I just got older or shifted hobbies, but one day I just sort of stopped caring what came out. I think it was while writing reviews for Techcitement, and I realized that the "low end" Android handsets were able to compete with the performance of the flagship ones. I started wondering why I was so obscessed with $500+ handsets (like the HTC EVO, flagship at the time), when the $99 no-contract Optimus S actually outperformed it in battery life, openGL frames per second, and just fit nicer in the hand and pocket. I mean, the phone cost less than an insruance deductible on my flagship, so it was somewhat disposable, yet a force to be reckoned with.

Fast-forward a few years to the modern phone era. I find expensive big phones a waste. I need two hands to use it, they don't fit nicely in a small pocket, and are very expensive to replace (and I got kids, so its not a matter of if but when something needs to be replaced). Now that I'm on a plan that doesn't offer subsidies (Sprint Framily), I buy all my phones on ebay. The unpopular year-old handsets are often less than $50 in perfect condition. My current handset is an LG F3, which I really love. Yes, the camera is just meh and it only has 4GB of memory, but rooting it lets me swap internal for external storage, and now I have 16gb internal. But more importantly, the thing is TINY, completely hidden in a shirt pocket yet still big enought to use comfortably, and CHEAP. I bought this one for less than $50 with the plastic still on it! It replaced my previous phone, the Galaxy Victory, which was the Sprint version of a Galaxy S3 mini. I loved that phone too, but it got run over by a car. :)
Want to know how much I paid for the Victory? A whopping $40. And it was practically brand new, looks like someone took it out the box and then sold it.

I'm not telling you this to brag. I know some people are really into the latest-and-greatest, and can't understand the appeal of a cheap phone that is more or less disposable. But if you don't, I want you to know that you aren't alone. You're not crazy for finding it silly, there are others like us out there!
I got a Victory for free.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
I'm in the process of switching from an S3 to the G3. The difference in speed is really noticeable. And this is with both running CM. My only issue is the size. With the S3, I was barely able to use it with one hand. With the G3, it's not really comfortable.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
Plenty!
For what carrier?
On Sprint I'm currently a fan of the LG F3 (LS720). Don't judge by the pictures online, it looks horribly boring until you actually hold one in your hand and realize how nice it looks. Only problem is the lack of internal storage space (4GB), which Android 4+ uses to store app data (no option to move to storage cards like earlier Android OSes). But if you root it, there's a simple app you can install that will swap the internal storage and SD card storage, so my device is running like a camp with 11GB free currently. ;)

I'm in the process of switching from an S3 to the G3. The difference in speed is really noticeable. And this is with both running CM. My only issue is the size. With the S3, I was barely able to use it with one hand. With the G3, it's not really comfortable.

Exactly how I feel. The S3 is about the largest phone I'd ever consider for that reason. The HTC One X (EVo LTE) is the same size screen, actually, and even that felt rediculous to me. So I "downgraded" to a 4" display and am SO MUCH HAPPIER.

I got a Victory for free.

You, sir, are probably on a contract plan that offers subsidized handsets. I do not have a contract and pay $25 a month for my line of service. Sprint isn't so nice to me when it comes to handing out phones. :)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
You, sir, are probably on a contract plan that offers subsidized handsets. I do not have a contract and pay $25 a month for my line of service. Sprint isn't so nice to me when it comes to handing out phones. :)
Im on victory paying for just talk and text 11.22 on chit chat mobile with my free victory
I'm not who you think I am.