Topic Wiki

Lots of stringencies, but you can keep one day shabbos in hawaii without guilt.

SFs pros and cons list: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=10713.msg68565#msg68565
« Last edited by Dan on October 20, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »

Author Topic: Chabad Minhagim: Pros & Cons  (Read 319172 times)

Offline SamKey

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
Re: Re: The funny/strange/interesting pictures thread
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »
pretty sure u meant to say that just bec. u have diff. minhagim ur still frum - what u did say sounds like minhagim have nothing to do with being frum and i'm pretty sure we have minhagim albeit diff. ones  bec. we're frum
I meant it does not make you more frum
(side note: chochmas shlomo seems to learn that the tur held of gebrokts in regards to matza meal/kneidlach, also see beis yosef on that tur and be'er heitiv -can't give exact source now bec. i'm not home)
I'm not saying gebrokst didn't start from a halachik source just that nowadays it doesn't have any basis and the mishna berura says in hilchos minhag hamakom that any minhag that has no basis you are not bound to

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »
I meant it does not make you more frum I'm not saying gebrokst didn't start from a halachik source just that nowadays it doesn't have any basis and the mishna berura says in hilchos minhag hamakom that any minhag that has no basis you are not bound to
+1 on both an old heated machlokes
the Gr"a seems to have held that it's a minhag shtus while R' Moshe held u need hataras nedarim as long as u were noheig the minhag as a gadol even if it was just bec. of ur father

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2013, 04:47:41 PM »
pretty sure u meant to say that just bec. u have diff. minhagim ur still frum - what u did say sounds like minhagim have nothing to do with being frum and i'm pretty sure we have minhagim albeit diff. ones  bec. we're frum (side note: chochmas shlomo seems to learn that the tur held of gebrokts in regards to matza meal/kneidlach, also see beis yosef on that tur and be'er heitiv -can't give exact source now bec. i'm not home)
(Your writing style is very frum :P)
All samkey was saying is having different minhagim doesn't mean more frum. It was in reply to one specific comment.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2013, 04:51:08 PM »
and its pretty cool that we are having this discussion in this thread ;)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2013, 05:00:22 PM »
and its pretty cool that we are having this discussion in this thread ;)
got to love JS and frum people lol.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2013, 05:06:26 PM »
i'm liking it much better than the anti-not-so-anti-kollel-chip-on-your-shoulder-add- what-ever-else -you-want-lakewood master thread  :D

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »
i'm liking it much better than the anti-not-so-anti-kollel-chip-on-your-shoulder-add- what-ever-else -you-want-lakewood master thread  :D
+1

Offline judahk88

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2013, 07:02:04 PM »
Oh and P.S. if you eat gebrokst you're not "Less frum" You are a goy!  :o :o
You like arguing don't u? Also I hope u r joking about eating gebrokst?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Lakewood NJ Master Thread
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »
The rest like to Daven at 10  :-\
Getting OT here but the point of 10am shacharis (having said sh'ma already during brochos/korbonos upon waking) on shabbos is to get up early and learn chassidus or say the entire tehilim before davening so that you are in the proper frame of mind to daven in an inspired fashion.
Chabad yeshivos start the day with 90 minutes of chassidus before davening every day and 2 hours on shabbos.

Same goes for why Chabad allows (encourages?) mezonos before davening, so that davening isn't something to be rushed through to get to food but that food is something we eat so that we can better daven b'kavanah...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Lakewood NJ Master Thread
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »
Getting OT here but the point of 10am shacharis (having said sh'ma already during brochos/korbonos upon waking) on shabbos is to get up early and learn chassidus or say the entire tehilim before davening so that you are in the proper frame of mind to daven in an inspired fashion.
Chabad yeshivos start the day with 90 minutes of chassidus before davening every day and 2 hours on shabbos.

Same goes for why Chabad allows (encourages?) mezonos before davening, so that davening isn't something to be rushed through to get to food but that food is something we eat so that we can better daven b'kavanah...
My understanding is that the heter to eat before davening may only apply if its absolutely essential to improving your davening, (even then, only chabad go with this) I would imagine its not encouraged...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2013, 09:08:41 PM »
My understanding is that the heter to eat before davening may only apply if its absolutely essential to improving your davening, (even then, only chabad go with this) I would imagine its not encouraged...
Chabad yeshivos all serve (and encourage) mezonos before davening. I'll leave it up to Chabad poskim to explain their position.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2013, 09:09:15 PM »
Chabad yeshivos all encourage and serve mezonos before davening. I'll leave it up to Chabad poskim to explain their position.
interesting

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2013, 09:13:46 PM »
Chabad yeshivos all serve (and encourage) mezonos before davening. I'll leave it up to Chabad poskim to explain their position.
I personally would daven better if I would eat before Shacharis. More than once I went through the sugya and basically came out that if that's the case (you'll daven better) you're allowed to, I just could never muster up the guts to eat b4 davening.  :)

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »
I personally would daven better if I would eat before Shacharis. More than once I went through the sugya and basically came out that if that's the case (you'll daven better) you're allowed to, I just could never muster up the guts to eat b4 davening.  :)
Really ::)? Do yourself a favor speak to a orthodox rabbi that you respect, if you dont have one then just follow the mishna berurah.
On the other hand you must have seen the relevant gemoros because you do appreciate how chomur it is...

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
Re: Lakewood NJ Master Thread
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2013, 10:15:17 PM »
Really ::)? Do yourself a favor speak to a orthodox rabbi that you respect, if you dont have one then just follow the mishna berurah.
On the other hand you must have seen the relevant gemoros because you do appreciate how chomur it is...

Shulchan Aruch O"C, 89 - 4. הצמא והרעב הרי הם בכלל החולים, אם יש בו יכולת לכוין דעתו, יתפלל, ואם לאו אם רצה אל יתפלל עד שיאכל  וישתה.
 I feel that I fall into this category. As I said I can't muster up the guts - because I am not certain that I fit into it, and the M"B says it's not a chiyuv to eat, ayin sham.

I feel that your response to my comment was malei gaavah.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
Re: Chabad Minhagim: Pros & Cons
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »
I did misspeak - it can't just be you'll daven better. It has to be that the fact that you're hungry makes you not be mechaven.

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
I did misspeak - it can't just be you'll daven better. It has to be that the fact that you're hungry makes you not be mechaven.
Better to eat for the sake of davening rather than ...

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2013, 10:38:14 PM »
Better to eat for the sake of davening rather than ...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2013, 10:56:57 PM »

Isn't that a Chassidish minhag?
"Not all who wander are lost"