Author Topic: Master Thread: Education - College, Yeshiva, Seminary. Post Here.  (Read 76883 times)

Offline berele

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Master Thread: Education - College, Yeshiva, Seminary. Post Here.
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2014, 05:18:03 PM »
So Im thinking of going with fdu, but ive got a couple of questions. #1  For the 18 credits that can be clepped, whats the most efficient courses to do ( e.g. how do I get away with a science without doing biology, which ones can be fulfilled with dantes, etc.) #2 I was told that some of the 30 credits that must be done in fdu cannot be done online. For those classes during bein hazmanim, are they mixed or only men? #3 Can the whole Bais program get you a masters in accounting at the end mostly online? All help is greatly appreciated.

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2014, 05:34:01 PM »
So Im thinking of going with fdu, but ive got a couple of questions. #1  For the 18 credits that can be clepped, whats the most efficient courses to do ( e.g. how do I get away with a science without doing biology, which ones can be fulfilled with dantes, etc.) #2 I was told that some of the 30 credits that must be done in fdu cannot be done online. For those classes during bein hazmanim, are they mixed or only men? #3 Can the whole Bais program get you a masters in accounting at the end mostly online? All help is greatly appreciated.
I didn't take the Bais program but I can give some of these a shot.
2) I believe it's all men. (Disclaimer - when you get a job one day there may be a woman in the same office as you)
3) The Bais program gets you a bachelors. The Masters is a completely separate program that is not online at all. It's in either Montvale NJ or Lakewood.

Offline ddforumem

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »

I am going to be doing the FDU BAIS program starting in January. I chose to do the 18 credits in a local community college. It was cheaper because financial aid paid for the whole thing. I also found it hard to memorize an entire biology book for CLEP. Most of the 30 credits can be done online. Go to their website and you will see that a lot of the courses are offered online. It is men only. I am trying to arrange with them to allow me to take some courses near Lakewood as there is a yeshiva somewhere right outside Lakewood which does have courses that they give credit for. We will see if that happens.

Offline berele

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2014, 11:26:54 AM »

I am going to be doing the FDU BAIS program starting in January. I chose to do the 18 credits in a local community college. It was cheaper because financial aid paid for the whole thing. I also found it hard to memorize an entire biology book for CLEP. Most of the 30 credits can be done online. Go to their website and you will see that a lot of the courses are offered online. It is men only. I am trying to arrange with them to allow me to take some courses near Lakewood as there is a yeshiva somewhere right outside Lakewood which does have courses that they give credit for. We will see if that happens.
Thanks so much. Tell me, do you know what the easiest science to take is if I dont want to do biology either ( thats accepted by fdu)? Also are their courses available every Bain hazmanim ( succos, pesach, etc.) Thanks

Offline avrumy22

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2014, 02:45:52 PM »
Does anyone know anything about any of the following three degrees?

Master of Science in Legal Studies
Master of Science in Compliance Law
Master of Science in Taxation

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
Does anyone know anything about any of the following three degrees?

Master of Science in Legal Studies
Master of Science in Compliance Law
Master of Science in Taxation

Nope. I can't imagine any of them leading to employment, but I could be way off.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2014, 03:29:32 PM »
Nope. I can't imagine any of them leading to employment, but I could be way off.
-1. MS in Taxation is sought after and fwiu tax accountants with an MS in Accounting working in the same role as an entry level tax colleague can make 10K because of the degree.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »
-1. MS in Taxation is sought after and fwiu tax accountants with an MS in Accounting working in the same role as an entry level tax colleague can make 10K because of the degree.

Interesting. To clarify, are you talking about a CPA who also has a MS in accounting? Is that the same as this MS in "taxation"?

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2014, 06:03:50 PM »
Interesting. To clarify, are you talking about a CPA who also has a MS in accounting? Is that the same as this MS in "taxation"?
CPA with a MS in tax has a slight advantage in tax departments over the CPA with an MS in accounting.
OTOH An MS in accounting is more flexible...

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »
Entry level accounting jobs don't require you to already be a CPA. It's expected that you will become a CPA over the first few years as an associate.
MS in Taxation is considered a specialty. A normal path for that would be a BA in Accounting and then MS in Taxation. If someone had a BTL from BMG and MS in Taxation it may look weird since they never learned basic accounting. They may not even be able to get into an MS in Taxation without a certain amount of accounting classes.

A possible path that a BTL from BMG could take to get an MS in Taxation would be to get an MS in accounting and then get an MS in Taxation on top of that. 

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 22, 2014, 07:06:34 PM »
Entry level accounting jobs don't require you to already be a CPA. It's expected that you will become a CPA over the first few years as an associate.
MS in Taxation is considered a specialty. A normal path for that would be a BA in Accounting and then MS in Taxation. If someone had a BTL from BMG and MS in Taxation it may look weird since they never learned basic accounting. They may not even be able to get into an MS in Taxation without a certain amount of accounting classes.

A possible path that a BTL from BMG could take to get an MS in Taxation would be to get an MS in accounting and then get an MS in Taxation on top of that.

I guess thats the premise of my question. Will these degrees alone get me anywhere? I have a Bachelors in Science with a business major.

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2014, 02:21:45 PM »
Kk brought up before but not really answered...
Looking into computer science I have a couple q's
1- Would it be possible to get into Masters program with FDU Bais degree plus necessary prerequisites/gre? From most universities websites it seems as long as you have all requirements.
2-Anyone here know anything about cs50 or another good intro course?

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2014, 03:36:08 PM »
Kk brought up before but not really answered...
Looking into computer science I have a couple q's
1- Would it be possible to get into Masters program with FDU Bais degree plus necessary prerequisites/gre? From most universities websites it seems as long as you have all requirements.
2-Anyone here know anything about cs50 or another good intro course?
Bump

Offline DealRaider

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2014, 04:44:41 PM »
Anyone have experience with the FAFSA. Im in the middle of filling it out and its asking me about Selective Service. Am I supposed to register for that? Is there a reason not too?

Its the government draft list apparently and if Murrica ever needs me theyll randomly select people from the registered list. You have until 25 to register or else youll never be eligible for financial aide or a government position. As far as FAFSA goes it looks like I would have to fill it out Im really just wondering if I should be calling up and trying to get an exemption from signing up.

Any help appreciated.

Offline PTU

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 02, 2014, 04:48:05 PM »
Anyone have experience with the FAFSA. Im in the middle of filling it out and its asking me about Selective Service. Am I supposed to register for that? Is there a reason not too?

Its the government draft list apparently and if Murrica ever needs me theyll randomly select people from the registered list. You have until 25 to register or else youll never be eligible for financial aide or a government position. As far as FAFSA goes it looks like I would have to fill it out Im really just wondering if I should be calling up and trying to get an exemption from signing up.

Any help appreciated.
Worry about it if you ever get called up.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 02, 2014, 04:58:09 PM »

Any help appreciated.

You should probably be more scared of this:

https://www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htm
Registration is the law. A man who fails to register may, if prosecuted and convicted, face a fine of up to $250,000 and/or a prison term of up to five years.

Offline DealRaider

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 02, 2014, 04:59:26 PM »
You should probably be more scared of this:

https://www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htm

Ya lol I saw that, Im not talking about not signing up Im talking about calling and asking for an exemption

And thanks for actually researching that I appreciate it

Offline DealRaider

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 02, 2014, 05:09:19 PM »
Ok so it looks like Im gonna sign up, just curious if anyone else has??

Sorry just a bit hesitant to add my name to this list.

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2014, 05:22:40 PM »
Ok so it looks like Im gonna sign up, just curious if anyone else has??

Sorry just a bit hesitant to add my name to this list.
As Henche said, it's the law! I signed up the day I turned 18

Offline bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2014, 05:30:05 PM »
IIRC if you get a drivers licence in NY you automatically sign up.

You can PM me with any FAFSA q's.