Author Topic: Tranfering SPG TO CO  (Read 2229 times)

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Tranfering SPG TO CO
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:56:20 PM »
normally the transfer option between SPG and CO is horrible 2:1
but if you transfer to Amtrak at a rate of 1:1 https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/starpoints/transfer/partners/detail.html?IndustryType=TRANSPORTATION&PartnerCode=AMTRAK

and then from Amtrak to CO also 1:1 http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/onepass/transfer/rail.aspx
it would seem to be a decent transfer (it seems u would still miss out on the 5000 point bonus)
has anyone ever tried this and how easy/long was the transfer?

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Tranfering SPG TO CO
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »
normally the transfer option between SPG and CO is horrible 2:1
but if you transfer to Amtrak at a rate of 1:1 https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/starpoints/transfer/partners/detail.html?IndustryType=TRANSPORTATION&PartnerCode=AMTRAK

and then from Amtrak to CO also 1:1 http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/onepass/transfer/rail.aspx
it would seem to be a decent transfer (it seems u would still miss out on the 5000 point bonus)
has anyone ever tried this and how easy/long was the transfer?
i believe there is also a max of how much amtrak u can transfer to co

Offline john

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United 1K
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:03:51 PM »
why to lose out on 5K additional points. transfer in any other *A partner with 1:1. I txf it to my US Airways. still can book same tickets that Continental can book.

Offline Gabbai

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »
You can only transfer from Amtrak to CO if you have Amtrak Select or Select Plus status. The Amtrak web site says:

For our top-earning members, we have created Select and Select Plus to recognize and thank you for your loyalty. Select level begins at 5,000 earned rail points (per calendar year); 10,000 rail points in a calendar year will get you into our top level, Select Plus.

The option to redeem Amtrak Guest Rewards points for airline miles, hotel points, Audience Rewards and experiential rewards is only available to the following members with the associated annual point transfer caps:

Members with current Amtrak Guest Rewards Select or Select Plus™ status, with an annual point transfer limit of 50,000
Cardholders of the Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard® issued by Chase Bank with an Amtrak travel spend on the card of over $200 per calendar year, with an annual point transfer limit of 25,000 per year

I assume that earned rail points means just that, points earned from rail travel not by a transfer from elsewhere. Has anyone done this as I need 15000 CO miles and I have no place to get them from except SPG. Also how long do the two transfers take?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:20:20 PM by Gabbai »

Offline Gabbai

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 07:19:16 PM »
why to lose out on 5K additional points. transfer in any other *A partner with 1:1. I txf it to my US Airways. still can book same tickets that Continental can book.

Because if you transfer 20000 SPG miles directly you will get 12500 CO miles. If you transfer 15000 SPG miles via Amtrak you will get 15000 CO miles. I need 55000 CO miles for a Business Class Israel-Europe award, and have just over 40000. If I transfer 15000 SPG miles via Amtrak I have all I need. To get the same award on USAir will cost me 60000 miles for which I would need to transfer 50000 SPG miles. I would still then be left with 40000 CO miles that are pretty useless on their own.

Offline SPOOGER

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:29:58 AM »
If u setup direct deposit to co ull get 1:1 ratio not sure if it applies to miles earned on credit card or just from stays

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »
Because if you transfer 20000 SPG miles directly you will get 12500 CO miles. If you transfer 15000 SPG miles via Amtrak you will get 15000 CO miles. I need 55000 CO miles for a Business Class Israel-Europe award, and have just over 40000. If I transfer 15000 SPG miles via Amtrak I have all I need. To get the same award on USAir will cost me 60000 miles for which I would need to transfer 50000 SPG miles. I would still then be left with 40000 CO miles that are pretty useless on their own.
that was a very profound explanation i hope our friend john understood