Author Topic: How often do you have fraudulent activity on your CC?  (Read 51349 times)

Offline Yossi.

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you have fraudulent activity on your CC?
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
Just got a call today from Citi Fraud Prevention Department exactly 3 weeks after getting a call from Chase Fraud Prevention... Apparently the first time chase told me that my sapphire was being used in long island at dunkin donut stores to purchase gift cards (in ~$50 increments) and they flagged it and blocked the card straight away. The card was in my wallet and has always been... today's call with Citi was for activities at staples in queens (also for gift cards) but two charges of ~$400 went through... of course in both cases i will be reimbursed and card reissued... it never happened to me and I am very cautious to who and where i give my card... The weirdest thing is that I have not used my citi for 5 months and that it is at home... my question is:
- I had a couple of nannies over the past few months at home and I suspect one of them to have taken the CC numbers and created (or asked a friend to create) a fake card with that number... (apparently the bank said the transactions were physical swipes)... is there anything i could do about that?
- It seems obvious but just making sure, the new cards being issued will not create any pulls right?
- If someone has my social can he get access to my currently created CCs somehow?

Anything I could do to prevent for the future, I had other cards in my wallet and bedrooms and I am worried that she is just keeping copies for the future  >:(
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:01:48 PM by Yossi. »

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2012, 09:06:51 PM »
Just got a call today from Citi Fraud Prevention Department exactly 3 weeks after getting a call from Chase Fraud Prevention... Apparently the first time chase told me that my sapphire was being used in long island at dunkin donut stores to purchase gift cards (in ~$50 increments) and they flagged it and blocked the card straight away. The card was in my wallet and has always been... today's call with Citi was for activities at staples in queens (also for gift cards) but two charges of ~$400 went through... of course in both cases i will be reimbursed and card reissued... it never happened to me and I am very cautious to who and where i give my card... The weirdest thing is that I have not used my citi for 5 months and that it is at home... my question is:
- I had a couple of nannies over the past few months at home and I suspect one of them to have taken the CC numbers and created (or asked a friend to create) a fake card with that number... (apparently the bank said the transactions were physical swipes)... is there anything i could do about that?
- It seems obvious but just making sure, the new cards being issued will not create any pulls right?
- If someone has my social can he get access to my currently created CCs somehow?

Anything I could do to prevent for the future, I had other cards in my wallet and bedrooms and I am worried that she is just keeping copies for the future  >:(
Don't leave anything valuable or sensitive around nannies?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Yossi.

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »
Don't leave anything valuable or sensitive around nannies?
Well it s a live-in. Pretty hard to hide anything from them except if u buy a safe... (which i just did lol)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2012, 09:15:19 PM »
Well it s a live-in. Pretty hard to hide anything from them except if u buy a safe... (which i just did lol)
That was my next suggestion :) You have a live-in in Brooklyn? hmmm don't know too many of those, interesting.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2013, 08:47:43 AM »
I recommend using Billguard to help flag and detect fraud.
Visibly Jewish

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »
Twice in the last month someone got two of my chase cards. first time they had the real numbers and made charges. second time they had the numbers but wrong expiry etc so it was denied.

Can you help me sleuth this? Have not lost cards and only thing different recently is that I added my chase info to award wallet to track UR points. Is that the obvious culprit?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2013, 10:28:26 AM »
More likely that you were skimmed.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2013, 10:40:42 AM »
More likely that you were skimmed.

ok, i guess that makes sense since they took the two cards i currently use. is there any way to guard against that? a quick look online shows that you shouldnt let an employee walk off with your card to charge but i dont do that.

Offline dvol

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »
Had someone place an order on my walmart.com account ordering:

Ol' Roy Kibbles Chunks & Chews 40lb    (to my actual physical address that was on my account)
(Email Delivery) T-Mobile Monthly4G $50 Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, and Unlimited Web access (first 100 MB at up to 4G speeds)    2    Via email, recipient should receive card within hours of ordering.    $49.54
(Email Delivery) NET10 $50 Prepaid Card, 30-day monthly plan unlimited, talk, text, web/email, 411    2    Via email, recipient should receive card within hours of ordering.    $49.54
(Email Delivery) Straight Talk Unlimited Text, Talk and Web Access 30-Day Service Car                                 Via email, recipient should receive card within hours of ordering.

I had stored my credit card in my walmart account and there was no other fraudulent activity on my card. They also changed the email address on my account right away to their own so I couldn't log in and so that they would receive the email with the cell phone plans. Walmart was familiar with the scam and said these people seem to find it amusing to have pet food delivered to the person they scammed too

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2013, 11:47:59 AM »
Everything makes sense besides for the changing the email in your account. Every site I know only lets you change an email address for an account after sending an email to the original account and clicking on the link to verify that its you. 
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »
ok, i guess that makes sense since they took the two cards i currently use. is there any way to guard against that? a quick look online shows that you shouldnt let an employee walk off with your card to charge but i dont do that.
Card skimmers seem to be quite common in NYC.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2013, 12:29:24 PM »
Chase called my FIL right before the second days, "We just wanted to confirm you made this $10,000 charge" :o

Offline judahk88

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2013, 12:30:23 PM »
Card skimmers seem to be quite common in NYC.
Never heard that term. What is a skimmer?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »
Never heard that term. What is a skimmer?

A tiny thingy that attaches to a legit terminal/card-reader and skims/reads your card info so the thieves can retrieve it.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline judahk88

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2013, 01:48:37 PM »
A tiny thingy that attaches to a legit terminal/card-reader and skims/reads your card info so the thieves can retrieve it.
Interesting never heard of that before. Thanks. Im assuming there is no way to detect this?

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »
Every time this gets bumped I have the same reaction, but then I figure I must have already posted it. And I did http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=10994.msg135816#msg135816

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
Long time ago I was in the gift store/snack shop in Ocean point hotel in deal. The cashier swiped my card and then took out a pen, in front of me, and wrote down the card number! I was like WTH? she said she has to, thats what her boss said. I called the CC told them to look out etc... no fraud happened in the end but I wonder, is there any legit reason why she would need to write down the CC number?

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
Long time ago I was in the gift store/snack shop in Ocean point hotel in deal. The cashier swiped my card and then took out a pen, in front of me, and wrote down the card number! I was like WTH? she said she has to, thats what her boss said. I called the CC told them to look out etc... no fraud happened in the end but I wonder, is there any legit reason why she would need to write down the CC number?

A real thief wouldn't do it front of your face.
Visibly Jewish

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »
Its soo ballsy that most people wouldn't question it for that exact reason
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2013, 03:43:25 PM »
She did it in a very "matter of fact way", she even told me that its for legit purposes, Im still wondering what could possibly be legit about it-she had me half convinced though...