Author Topic: Your First Cellphone - All The Juicy Details  (Read 6337 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15685
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
Re: Your First Cellphone - All The Juicy Details
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 10:57:42 AM »
Gosh, I think my first phone was the Motorola Talkabout which I got in 2001 after finishing high school in PIT and before going away to zal in LA.  I think the plan was 350 anytime and 2,150 N&W for $39.99  Got Sprint to give me free data and used to use the text only browser to read 2 lines at a time...

I used to spend hours on hold with Sprint.  Eventually I figured out how to keep upgrading my phone for free and switched to the Samsung a400 and then the Samsung a500.  I think I also had a Sanyo SCP6000 for a week or so. The a500 was the first pcs vision phone (1xrtt) and one of the first color phones.  Also got a VGA camera that plugged into it, but MMS was a bear in those pre-SMS days.

In early 2003 I joined the very small crowd of smartphone users and got the Samsung i330. Great smartphone.  FSOD (flashing screen of death) was its main downfall.  I became the Palm OS mod on pdaphone.com, which was the main online forum for Samsung Palm phones.

Then came out the great Samsung i500, a wonder of a smartphone in a compact flip-phone.  It was awesome.

Samsung was about to release the i550, also a flip Palm phone with an OLED screen way ahead of its time, but Sprint killed it as they wanted to focus on the Treo line.  As the Samsung mod, an insider sent me a few i550s to test out that I still have, amazing phones, way ahead of their time.
After Sprint killed it the insider told me that Samsung disbanded their Palm division.

From there I took a brief detour to a non-smartphone (Samsung a900) it was off to Treo land (700p, 755p, Black gen 1 Centro, Green gen 2 Centro) where I've been stuck in neutral ever since 2007 when Sprint decided that my plan wasn't good enough for their cool phones.  Then my plan wasn't good enough for them at all so it was off to VZW.  Didn't want to pay for a data plan yet so I got a Centro with them as well, but when they announced the end of data I added the unlimited data and hope to get the Galaxy Nexus within the next couple of weeks!

Gosh, I think my first phone was the Motorola Talkabout which I got in 2001 after finishing high school in PIT and before going away to zal in LA.  I think the plan was 350 anytime and 2,150 N&W for $39.99  Got Sprint to give me free data and used to use the text only browser to read 2 lines at a time...

I used to spend hours on hold with Sprint.  Eventually I figured out how to keep upgrading my phone for free and switched to the Samsung a400 and then the Samsung a500.  I think I also had a Sanyo SCP6000 for a week or so. The a500 was the first pcs vision phone (1xrtt) and one of the first color phones.  Also got a VGA camera that plugged into it, but MMS was a bear in those pre-SMS days.

In early 2003 I joined the very small crowd of smartphone users and got the Samsung i330. Great smartphone.  FSOD (flashing screen of death) was its main downfall.  I became the Palm OS mod on pdaphone.com, which was the main online forum for Samsung Palm phones.

Then came out the great Samsung i500, a wonder of a smartphone in a compact flip-phone.  It was awesome.

Samsung was about to release the i550, also a flip Palm phone with an OLED screen way ahead of its time, but Sprint killed it as they wanted to focus on the Treo line.  As the Samsung mod, an insider sent me a few i550s to test out that I still have, amazing phones, way ahead of their time.
After Sprint killed it the insider told me that Samsung disbanded their Palm division.

From there I took a brief detour to a non-smartphone (Samsung a900) it was off to Treo land (700p, 755p, Black gen 1 Centro, Green gen 2 Centro) where I've been stuck in neutral ever since 2007 when Sprint decided that my plan wasn't good enough for their cool phones.  Then my plan wasn't good enough for them at all so it was off to VZW.  Didn't want to pay for a data plan yet so I got a Centro with them as well, but when they announced the end of data I added the unlimited data and hope to get the Galaxy Nexus within the next couple of weeks!

2001: Motorola Talkabout
2002: Samsung a400
2002: Samsung a500
2003: Samsung i330
2004: Samsung i500
2005: Samsung i550
2005: Samsung A900
2006: Treo 700p
2006: Treo 755p
2007: Centro Gen 1
2008: Centro Gen 2
2011: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
2013: Samsung Galaxy S4
2014: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Edge
2017: Samsung Galaxy Note8
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »
Just came across this thread as @aygart revived it with his recent post.

I was a huge PalmOS (way before is was called that - back to the Pilot III days (and possibly before).

Can't remember what my first cell-phone was. I think it was either an Ericson (before the Sony days) or a Nokia 3100 of some flavor. IINM my first flip phone was/is the LG VN220 which has quite a few drawbacks, but the main advantage is a flip-phone with physical keys that works on LTE and can provide mobile hotspot when needed.

Now this is a design I wish they would bring to the iPhone or Android space:
Running Palm OS?
The Kyocera 6035?

Better yet if there could be some kind of a design that lets one pick between a physical qwrty (loved the Treo 700/755 keyboard, better than BB IMHO) for text, and a physical numeric dialpad.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »
Just came across this thread as @aygart revived it with his recent post.
@Dan revived it in the post above mine.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 11:54:45 AM »
@Dan revived it in the post above mine.
I stand corrected. But he needs to edit that post and add in his Nextel.