Author Topic: Your First Cellphone - All The Juicy Details  (Read 14705 times)

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
Re: Your First Cellphone - All The Juicy Details
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 10:33:43 PM »
my first phone was the "locked SMS and all apps besides calling" Motorola Razar  - for yeshiva kosher purposes.

then after a month or so i got fed up with the kosher business and needed the texting so i got a Go phone

then i found this deal on Dansdeals so i got a nokia 2330. finally my friend had an extra smartphone so he gave me his nokia e71x. then i went to israel so i lost my spot in the family plan and came back to a prepaid plan - page plus palm pixi +. after that month im now on a diff prepaid. and trying out the Motorola Triumph.
liking it so far but dont plan on keeping past this month.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »
i dont remember which model it was but it was the first nokia that had snake 2. it was so durable and had good reception and i was the only one in my class with snake 2
think it was on verizon
i got in 12th grade
ahh memories
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:29:44 AM by mercaz1 »

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 11:21:49 AM »

Nokia 3100

Excellent phone !

Came obviously without plan, imported from Switzerland, and used on cellcom.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 11:42:41 AM »
\Nokia 3100

Excellent phone !

Came obviously without plan, imported from Switzerland, and used on cellcom.

i used to hate that type of phone that had one button for talk and end. and the "c" button on the right  - cuz then ur always deleting things by accident!

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 11:46:01 AM »
Didnt have this prob, I
i used to hate that type of phone that had one button for talk and end. and the "c" button on the right  - cuz then ur always deleting things by accident!

found worse the "double menud"  nokia.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 11:55:01 AM »
like which phone in particular, i dont understand what double menu is

Offline Spiffster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 02:13:37 AM »
wow, what a bunch of n00bs...  :-*

My first phone was a Motorola. http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Motorola-Cellular-Bag-Phone-America-Series-822-/360369596525 except in black.  This was 91-92-ish. I think it was AT&T and I had it in service for 2-3 years.  I just threw it out a year or two ago.  The battery still would charge up and the unit powered up but, of course, no analog service nowadays.

After that I had one of the big chunky handhelds - like in the Psych commercials.  Fit in the briefcase and work paid for it so I didn't mind it that much but I eventually got my own because it was so cumbersome.  Kind of hazy until '98 but they were pocket-sized.

In '98 I got a nextel for the walkie-talkie and loved it.  In early 1999, I got a new job and the company gave me a Nokia 6160 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_6110 on the AT&T unlimited plan.  They gave me a pager, a palm III and a cellphone.  I invented the Treo that day...  :-)

In early 2001, I upgraded to the 8260 http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Nokia-8260_id31 and had it until 2003/2004 when I went back to Nextel.  I think I averaged 3000-4000 minutes per month during this period.

In 2003, Delta had an offer for 25K bonus miles per Nextel phone, max of 5. So, Nextel here I (and my wife and in laws and...) come.  :-)  Phone was a i730 http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/motorola-i730-nextel/4505-6454_7-30586622.html and had that until I got my Treo 650.

After having a Palm since 97 when the Pilot came out, then a III (that I still have and it still works), I got the Treo 650 as soon as it came out.  Finally, I only needed to carry one device!  I upgraded to the 755p when it came out and it's what I still carry today.  I'm on my 5th or 6th one (swapped it last week and got scammed with the $10 smartphone charge) and it will {sniff} be my last. 

Seriously overdue for a new phone but I just couldn't make the jump into a new phone that would a> not convert all my existing data and b> lose functionality.  I think I might have it all sussed out as much as i can for iOS so I should have a 4S by the end of the year.

In there, there were some other phones as well: Nokia 51xx for Europe, a satellite phone when I was in Alaska for a long-term gig and there was something else that popped into my head typing this up but I forget it now.  I need to go take my Geritol and go to bed....    ;D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 02:40:37 AM »
Wow, never thought anyone was more addicted to Palm OS than me!

But I'm going Android from here, no way I'd settle for that POS they put together called the iPhone 4S.  At least wait to see Jobs last personal pet project in next year's iPhone 5.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Spiffster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 04:34:28 AM »
i've been torn between ios and android - evaluating for the past year or so.  but i won an ipad this spring and don't feel like duping everything on the mobile platforms.  my wife stole the ipad from me and won't give it back so the die is cast...

its going to be tough giving up handyshopper.  i know people who carry around a palm os device just for that app.

have you tried http://www.companionlink.com.  Closest I've found to duping treo's PIM-ability to the ios/android.  And, absolutely essential to me, they sync to the desktop app.  I'd switch to a new desktop app/apps but i need the ability to use either the pc or the phone and have the data sync both ways. 

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »
2003-  Samsung i330 Great phone. while all of my friends were getting Tungsten E's I already had one of the 1st palm phones. It was very convenient because I told all of my rabbeim it was just a palm pilot, little did they know it made phone calls and had internet :)
2005- Sanyo SCP6000 When I went to an out of town yeshiva that was stricter about phones I had to downgrade to a regular phone. it had great reception though. It actually saved my life in Joshua tree national park when everyone else I was with had no cell service.
2008- nokia-2600/kosher phone In 2008 the kosher phone became mandatory in my yeshiva and unfortunately I signed a 1 year contract, which I terminated after they tried charging me some $20,000 for calling 900 numbers. Apparently someone cloned my phone number, but with this argument my father told the rosh yeshiva "my son will never use a kosher phone again." B"H to this day I have not :). In general They had bad rates I think I was paying $45 a month for 450 minutes free nights at 8 with obviously no txt/internet. I don't know if kosher phone paid yeshivas a commission on passing the only kosher phone rule but B"H those days are over. The phone was ok didn't really do anything besides make calls.
2008- Motorola Razar By far the worst phone I have ever had! terrible battery life, bad reception, and all around just a poorly designed phone, I am not sure why they were so popular.
2009- Palm Centro I finally got back to a smart phone. Palm Centro is a great phone. My favorite part of the phone is its txting format. I lost this phone when sprint wanted to charge $10 a month to use it...
2011- Palm Pixi I can't really give a fair evaluation of the pixi because I am using a broken one that tends to restart 5 times a day. This is what a friend gave to me when I switched to verizon now I am just waiting for the galaxy nexus to be released...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 10:57:42 AM »
Gosh, I think my first phone was the Motorola Talkabout which I got in 2001 after finishing high school in PIT and before going away to zal in LA.  I think the plan was 350 anytime and 2,150 N&W for $39.99  Got Sprint to give me free data and used to use the text only browser to read 2 lines at a time...

I used to spend hours on hold with Sprint.  Eventually I figured out how to keep upgrading my phone for free and switched to the Samsung a400 and then the Samsung a500.  I think I also had a Sanyo SCP6000 for a week or so. The a500 was the first pcs vision phone (1xrtt) and one of the first color phones.  Also got a VGA camera that plugged into it, but MMS was a bear in those pre-SMS days.

In early 2003 I joined the very small crowd of smartphone users and got the Samsung i330. Great smartphone.  FSOD (flashing screen of death) was its main downfall.  I became the Palm OS mod on pdaphone.com, which was the main online forum for Samsung Palm phones.

Then came out the great Samsung i500, a wonder of a smartphone in a compact flip-phone.  It was awesome.

Samsung was about to release the i550, also a flip Palm phone with an OLED screen way ahead of its time, but Sprint killed it as they wanted to focus on the Treo line.  As the Samsung mod, an insider sent me a few i550s to test out that I still have, amazing phones, way ahead of their time.
After Sprint killed it the insider told me that Samsung disbanded their Palm division.

From there I took a brief detour to a non-smartphone (Samsung a900) it was off to Treo land (700p, 755p, Black gen 1 Centro, Green gen 2 Centro) where I've been stuck in neutral ever since 2007 when Sprint decided that my plan wasn't good enough for their cool phones.  Then my plan wasn't good enough for them at all so it was off to VZW.  Didn't want to pay for a data plan yet so I got a Centro with them as well, but when they announced the end of data I added the unlimited data and hope to get the Galaxy Nexus within the next couple of weeks!

Gosh, I think my first phone was the Motorola Talkabout which I got in 2001 after finishing high school in PIT and before going away to zal in LA.  I think the plan was 350 anytime and 2,150 N&W for $39.99  Got Sprint to give me free data and used to use the text only browser to read 2 lines at a time...

I used to spend hours on hold with Sprint.  Eventually I figured out how to keep upgrading my phone for free and switched to the Samsung a400 and then the Samsung a500.  I think I also had a Sanyo SCP6000 for a week or so. The a500 was the first pcs vision phone (1xrtt) and one of the first color phones.  Also got a VGA camera that plugged into it, but MMS was a bear in those pre-SMS days.

In early 2003 I joined the very small crowd of smartphone users and got the Samsung i330. Great smartphone.  FSOD (flashing screen of death) was its main downfall.  I became the Palm OS mod on pdaphone.com, which was the main online forum for Samsung Palm phones.

Then came out the great Samsung i500, a wonder of a smartphone in a compact flip-phone.  It was awesome.

Samsung was about to release the i550, also a flip Palm phone with an OLED screen way ahead of its time, but Sprint killed it as they wanted to focus on the Treo line.  As the Samsung mod, an insider sent me a few i550s to test out that I still have, amazing phones, way ahead of their time.
After Sprint killed it the insider told me that Samsung disbanded their Palm division.

From there I took a brief detour to a non-smartphone (Samsung a900) it was off to Treo land (700p, 755p, Black gen 1 Centro, Green gen 2 Centro) where I've been stuck in neutral ever since 2007 when Sprint decided that my plan wasn't good enough for their cool phones.  Then my plan wasn't good enough for them at all so it was off to VZW.  Didn't want to pay for a data plan yet so I got a Centro with them as well, but when they announced the end of data I added the unlimited data and hope to get the Galaxy Nexus within the next couple of weeks!

2001: Motorola Talkabout
2002: Samsung a400
2002: Samsung a500
2003: Samsung i330
2004: Samsung i500
2005: Samsung i550
2005: Samsung A900
2006: Treo 700p
2006: Treo 755p
2007: Centro Gen 1
2008: Centro Gen 2
2011: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
2013: Samsung Galaxy S4
2014: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Edge
2017: Samsung Galaxy Note8
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »
Just came across this thread as @aygart revived it with his recent post.

I was a huge PalmOS (way before is was called that - back to the Pilot III days (and possibly before).

Can't remember what my first cell-phone was. I think it was either an Ericson (before the Sony days) or a Nokia 3100 of some flavor. IINM my first flip phone was/is the LG VN220 which has quite a few drawbacks, but the main advantage is a flip-phone with physical keys that works on LTE and can provide mobile hotspot when needed.

Now this is a design I wish they would bring to the iPhone or Android space:
Running Palm OS?
The Kyocera 6035?

Better yet if there could be some kind of a design that lets one pick between a physical qwrty (loved the Treo 700/755 keyboard, better than BB IMHO) for text, and a physical numeric dialpad.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »
Just came across this thread as @aygart revived it with his recent post.
@Dan revived it in the post above mine.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 11:54:45 AM »
@Dan revived it in the post above mine.
I stand corrected. But he needs to edit that post and add in his Nextel.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan