Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3207840 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #11040 on: July 16, 2017, 04:39:07 PM »
Lenovo Laptop IdeaPad 510s 80TK002GUS

$549.99 after $350 instant savings.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331541&cm_re=80TK002GUS-_-34-331-541-_-Product

Intel Core i7 6th Gen 6500U (2.50 GHz)
8 GB Memory 256 GB SSD
AMD Radeon R7 M460
1920 x 1080
Windows 10 Home
I'm really upset at myself for only seeing this now, I should really check this thread more often.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11041 on: July 16, 2017, 05:18:00 PM »
Looking for a recommendation for a SSD? How does the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) $163 on Amazon compare with the SanDisk Ultra II 500GB SATA III SSD - 2.5-Inch 7mm Height Solid State Drive - SDSSDHII-500G-G25 $155 on Amazon? Amazon shows the Samsung to be from December 2014. Is there a newer model?

Is there a difference between Samsung Evo MZ-75E500B/AM and MZ-750500BW?
The Samsung is the more popular one (also an Amazon Best Seller) and they were always the leader in good consumer SSDs.

There is no newer model in the Evo (more affordable) line from Samsung (except some m.2 drives, which are more expansive.)

The MZ-750500BW is the 750 EVO, which is even older and has some lower specs (I can write you the specs but I hardly believe you'll be able to really tell from these this is a better buy...for instance the 850 Evo has 2 Million Hours Reliability (MTBF) vs the 750 with only 1.5 Million, and the 850 uses the newer 3D V-NAND Flash Memory.)

Both the 750 and the SanDisk come with a 3-year warranty, and the 850 Evo comes with a 5 year one.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11042 on: July 16, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »
It still won't change position of the microphone

The fan issue I care about speakers/microphone I care less

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11043 on: July 16, 2017, 05:55:10 PM »
The Samsung is the more popular one (also an Amazon Best Seller) and they were always the leader in good consumer SSDs.

There is no newer model in the Evo (more affordable) line from Samsung (except some m.2 drives, which are more expansive.)

The MZ-750500BW is the 750 EVO, which is even older and has some lower specs (I can write you the specs but I hardly believe you'll be able to really tell from these this is a better buy...for instance the 850 Evo has 2 Million Hours Reliability (MTBF) vs the 750 with only 1.5 Million, and the 850 uses the newer 3D V-NAND Flash Memory.)

Both the 750 and the SanDisk come with a 3-year warranty, and the 850 Evo comes with a 5 year one.
Thanks. In this price range would you recommend the Samsung Evo? I would have assumed that in the 2.5 years since it came out there would have been quite a nit of advancement in the SSD market. Would it be better to get a  newer model from Sandisk or some other manufacturer? I see that Wirecutter has the Samsung Evo as their top recommendation in a post from just a few days ago...?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #11044 on: July 16, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
Thanks. In this price range would you recommend the Samsung Evo? I would have assumed that in the 2.5 years since it came out there would have been quite a nit of advancement in the SSD market. Would it be better to get a  newer model from Sandisk or some other manufacturer? I see that Wirecutter has the Samsung Evo as their top recommendation in a post from just a few days ago...?
There are obviously advances, and they are more expensive...besides the point that the real focus is on m.2 and NVMe drives which are much much faster.

But in this -so to say- affordable price range the Samsung 850 Evo is king. (BTW, the SanDisk is also from 2014.)

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #11045 on: July 16, 2017, 06:15:57 PM »
There are obviously advances, and they are more expensive...besides the point that the real focus is on m.2 and NVMe drives which are much much faster.

But in this -so to say- affordable price range the Samsung 850 Evo is king. (BTW, the SanDisk is also from 2014.)
Thanks. Interestingly Amazon shows date 1st available as March 8, 2017...
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11046 on: July 17, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »
Looking for a recommendation for a SSD? How does the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) $163 on Amazon compare with the SanDisk Ultra II 500GB SATA III SSD - 2.5-Inch 7mm Height Solid State Drive - SDSSDHII-500G-G25 $155 on Amazon? Amazon shows the Samsung to be from December 2014. Is there a newer model?

Is there a difference between Samsung Evo MZ-75E500B/AM and MZ-750500BW?
Samsung is in a different league than any other SSD manufacturer, they are the only ones who make their own NAND AND controller. It's not for no reason that they can charge a premium over all other SSDs and still be the top selling brand.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #11047 on: July 17, 2017, 09:59:47 PM »
Out of curiosity does m.2 and NVMe refer to the actual SSD or the way it connects to the whole system?

Samsung is in a different league than any other SSD manufacturer, they are the only ones who make their own NAND AND controller. It's not for no reason that they can charge a premium over all other SSDs and still be the top selling brand.
So you highly recommend Samsung...? Interesting that being made by the same manufacturer is such an advantage...(Not 2nd guessing, just interesting...).

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #11048 on: July 17, 2017, 10:21:27 PM »
Out of curiosity does m.2 and NVMe refer to the actual SSD or the way it connects to the whole system?
NVMe is the standard on how to use the bus lanes on the motherboard. The connector types for NVMe can be PCIe, m.2, u.2 and more.

m.2 is the connector type which drives come like a long wafer. Like this:

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11049 on: July 17, 2017, 10:24:13 PM »

So you highly recommend Samsung...?

They are by far the best, although you would need to make the decision whether or not it's worth the extra cost to you. (I've used Kingston, WD, crucial, and SanDisk too although I felt the SanDisk were built very cheaply.) Crucial is probably second best.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #11050 on: July 18, 2017, 10:27:30 PM »
Any thoughts on the ASUS Q325UA (bestbuy)? Looks to be similar (or same) as the Zenbook flip s and is probably made specifically for BB.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #11051 on: July 20, 2017, 11:29:28 AM »

I ended up buying the Model: MZ-75E500B/AM. Just to make sure; are there different models for a Laptop or Desktop? I saw on someone post that this model is for Desktop...?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #11052 on: July 20, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »
I ended up buying the Model: MZ-75E500B/AM. Just to make sure; are there different models for a Laptop or Desktop? I saw on someone post that this model is for Desktop...?
No difference.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11053 on: July 21, 2017, 10:32:32 AM »
Anyone have advice for a laptop in the $300-$500 range that can be used mostly for web/email, as well as connecting to a company's Citrix (PC a must)? 8+GB of RAM a must. Since it's mostly for web work, probably not as concerned with HD storage or SSD. Open to a refurb, as long as it comes with a warranty of 1 yr parts/labor.

Thanks!

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #11054 on: July 23, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »
Thoughts on this--overkill? over priced?

will use mostly for Word with 10-15 documents open at any one time -backlit keyboard  is important -- weight 4.2 is not a problem

also basic  google searching--e/m and video watching

$599.00

Pavilion laptop
Item: 2721080
Model: 1KU36UA#ABA

Create and share everything you love on the all-new backlit keyboard . A modern design loaded with powerful features brings sophisticated style to serious performance.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home
    Processor: 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor
    Display: 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD IPS BrightView WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
    Memory: 12 GB DDR4 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Hard drive: 1TB 5400RPM Serial ATA hard drive
    Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 620
    External notebook ports: 1 USB Type-C™ 3.1 Gen 1 (Data up to 5Gb/s), 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data Transfer Only), 1 HDMI, 1 RJ-45, 1 Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack
    Audio: B&O PLAY with dual speakers
    Battery life: Up to 9 hours (mixed usage), Up to 7 hours and 15 minutes (video playback)
    Wireless: 2x2 802.11ac WLAN(19a) and Bluetooth®
    Webcam: Front-facing HP Wide Vision HD Webcam with integrated dual array digital microphones
    Product weight: 4.21 lb
    Keyboard: Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad
    Windows 10 Home: Do great things confidently with the familiar feel of Windows - only better.
    7th generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor: Powerful performance easily keeps up with all your multitasking demands and enables new ways to interact with your PC.
    HP Fast Charge: Go from 0 to 90% charge in approximately 90 minutes.
    Liberating battery life: Take on the day without worrying about recharging.
    Hard drive storage: Grow your digital collections and still have room left over.
    Intel® HD Graphics: Renders all the visuals on screen with smooth, vivid quality.
    A truly powerful audio experience: HP Dual Speakers, HP Audio Boost, and tuning by B&O PLAY deliver a rich, authentic audio experience.
    HP Wide Vision HD Camera: 88-degree, wide-angle field of view for video chats with the whole family.
    Full HD IPS display: Enjoy vibrant, crystal-clear images with 178° wide-viewing angles.
    Brilliant BrightView panel: Get the ideal indoor visual experience with a bright, clear picture.
    DDR4 RAM: With its higher bandwidth, everything from multi-tasking to playing games gets a performance boost.
    Sleek design: Easily take this thin and light PC from room to room or on the road.
    Rock-solid connections: With the latest 802.11 a/c (2x2) WLAN adapter and Bluetooth® 4.2, all your connections are rock solid and up to 6 times faster than 802.11n 1x1.
    Dropbox cloud storage: If you don't have it today, sign up to get 25 GB of Dropbox space free for 12 months with your HP device
    McAfee LiveSafe™: Protect your operating system with a free 30-day McAfee LiveSafe™ trial.

http://weeklyad.staples.com/StaplesSD/WeeklyAd?storeid=2278331#!/store/2278331/promotion

OR THIS AT $489

I do prefer HP over Dell  based on my past experience -but not married to HP
Item: 2655276
Model: I5567-5274GRY-P

15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) Truelife LED-Backlit Display
    7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)
    8GB, 2400MHz, DDR4
    Intel® HD graphics 620 with shared graphics memory
    256GB Solid State Drive
    SD Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC)
    Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
    802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1
    Stereo speakers professionally tuned with MaxxAudioR Pro
    Backlit Keyboard, English
    42WHr, 3-Cell Battery (Integrated)
    45 Watt AC Adaptor
    Power Cord, US/CAN/MX
    1 x HDMI, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0
    1 x combo headphone / microphone Jack
    10/100 Ethernet LAN
    Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial
    McAfee LiveSafe 30 Day Trial
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:40:46 AM by SPLP »

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #11055 on: July 23, 2017, 10:49:43 AM »
Thoughts on this--overkill? over priced?

will use mostly for Word with 10-15 documents open at any one time -backlit keyboard  is important -- weight 4.2 is not a problem

also basic  google searching--e/m and video watching

$599.00

Pavilion laptop
Item: 2721080
Model: 1KU36UA#ABA

Create and share everything you love on the all-new backlit keyboard . A modern design loaded with powerful features brings sophisticated style to serious performance.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home
    Processor: 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor
    Display: 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD IPS BrightView WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
    Memory: 12 GB DDR4 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Hard drive: 1TB 5400RPM Serial ATA hard drive
    Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 620
    External notebook ports: 1 USB Type-C™ 3.1 Gen 1 (Data up to 5Gb/s), 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data Transfer Only), 1 HDMI, 1 RJ-45, 1 Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack
    Audio: B&O PLAY with dual speakers
    Battery life: Up to 9 hours (mixed usage), Up to 7 hours and 15 minutes (video playback)
    Wireless: 2x2 802.11ac WLAN(19a) and Bluetooth®
    Webcam: Front-facing HP Wide Vision HD Webcam with integrated dual array digital microphones
    Product weight: 4.21 lb
    Keyboard: Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad
    Windows 10 Home: Do great things confidently with the familiar feel of Windows - only better.
    7th generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor: Powerful performance easily keeps up with all your multitasking demands and enables new ways to interact with your PC.
    HP Fast Charge: Go from 0 to 90% charge in approximately 90 minutes.
    Liberating battery life: Take on the day without worrying about recharging.
    Hard drive storage: Grow your digital collections and still have room left over.
    Intel® HD Graphics: Renders all the visuals on screen with smooth, vivid quality.
    A truly powerful audio experience: HP Dual Speakers, HP Audio Boost, and tuning by B&O PLAY deliver a rich, authentic audio experience.
    HP Wide Vision HD Camera: 88-degree, wide-angle field of view for video chats with the whole family.
    Full HD IPS display: Enjoy vibrant, crystal-clear images with 178° wide-viewing angles.
    Brilliant BrightView panel: Get the ideal indoor visual experience with a bright, clear picture.
    DDR4 RAM: With its higher bandwidth, everything from multi-tasking to playing games gets a performance boost.
    Sleek design: Easily take this thin and light PC from room to room or on the road.
    Rock-solid connections: With the latest 802.11 a/c (2x2) WLAN adapter and Bluetooth® 4.2, all your connections are rock solid and up to 6 times faster than 802.11n 1x1.
    Dropbox cloud storage: If you don't have it today, sign up to get 25 GB of Dropbox space free for 12 months with your HP device
    McAfee LiveSafe™: Protect your operating system with a free 30-day McAfee LiveSafe™ trial.

http://weeklyad.staples.com/StaplesSD/WeeklyAd?storeid=2278331#!/store/2278331/promotion

OR THIS AT $489

I do prefer HP over Dell  based on my past experience -but not married to HP
Item: 2655276
Model: I5567-5274GRY-P

15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) Truelife LED-Backlit Display
    7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)
    8GB, 2400MHz, DDR4
    Intel® HD graphics 620 with shared graphics memory
    256GB Solid State Drive
    SD Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC)
    Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
    802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1
    Stereo speakers professionally tuned with MaxxAudioR Pro
    Backlit Keyboard, English
    42WHr, 3-Cell Battery (Integrated)
    45 Watt AC Adaptor
    Power Cord, US/CAN/MX
    1 x HDMI, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0
    1 x combo headphone / microphone Jack
    10/100 Ethernet LAN
    Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial
    McAfee LiveSafe 30 Day Trial
I7 for word is an overkill
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #11056 on: July 23, 2017, 10:51:32 AM »
Not in love w the 720p display

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #11057 on: July 23, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
What is data only transfer - can not be used for mouse/keyboard etc??

Online gozalim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11058 on: July 23, 2017, 12:33:19 PM »
What is data only transfer - can not be used for mouse/keyboard etc??

more likely can't be used for power?

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #11059 on: July 23, 2017, 01:34:28 PM »
more likely can't be used for power?

Hard to believe can not use for power - if so- can not have mouse and key board if use external monitor