Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3151882 times)

Offline ShmuelY

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum

Offline ShmuelY

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #2002 on: December 04, 2012, 12:24:45 PM »
No, at that price you want to look for at least an i3
I3=inspiration 3?
Either way, thank. I'll wait for the next super deal...

Offline DH Data Recovery

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: December 04, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »
i3 is the processor - not the model

Offline tech613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
HOT!! buy any hp laptop or desktop and get a FREE NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH
« Reply #2004 on: December 04, 2012, 01:21:14 PM »
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/static/page-freenook

How to redeem

Customizable PCs

Select the Customize and Buy button on any laptop or desktop product page.
As you customize your product, there will be an eReader option for you to select.
Check the box to add the NOOK Simple Touch to your order. Please note that if you do not select this option, you will not receive a NOOK.
Click View Summary to checkout.
In the cart, you will see your configured PC with a $99 instant rebate listed for the NOOK offer in addition to any other applicable Instant Rebates and a separate line item for the physical NOOK product, netting to $0 cost to you for the NOOK. The deduction will be automatically done in the cart. No other steps are necessary.

Ready-to-ship PCs

Select the Add to Cart button on any ready-to-ship laptop or desktop product page.
Come back to this landing page and select the "Get your free NOOK Simple Touch - add to cart now" link of the NOOK Simple Touch product or click here.
Select the Add to Cart button on the NOOK Simple Touch product page
View your cart.
In the cart, you will see your PC with a $99 instant rebate listed for the NOOK offer in addition to any other applicable Instant Rebates and a separate line item for the physical NOOK product, netting to $0 cost to you for the NOOK. The deduction will be automatically done in the cart. No other steps are necessary.
Offer Details

Offer valid on all HP laptops and desktops sold at hpdirect.com.
Offer valid 11/25/2012 to 12/8/2012 or while supplies last.
Offer valid only for the NOOK Simple Touch.
Offer valid on 1 qualifying PC only and limited to 1 per customer.
Your PC, NOOK, and any other items in your order may or may not be shipped together in the same package. Please check your email for shipping notification(s) and tracking number(s) for your order.
The NOOK Simple Touch is not returnable with this promotion. If a return for refund of qualifying PC becomes necessary, the NOOK is not returnable and is no longer eligible for the discount you received with the promotion. Any PC return will be refunded for the value you paid for it (less the $99 cost for the Nook and any applicable tax and shipping) and you will be able to keep the NOOK for personal use. For more information on initiating a Return or Exchange for the qualifying PC, please reference our Returns page.
Free NOOK Simple Touch offer may not be combinable with other promotions, if explicitly excluded. Please read the terms of all promotions prior to completing your order.
Support and Warranty of the NOOK Simple Touch will be handled by the manufacturer, Barnes & Noble. For any support questions, including Dead on Arrival products, please please contact us at 1 (800) THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) or support@book.com.
NOOK® and NOOK SimpleTouch™ are trademarks of barnesandnoble.com llc or its affiliates.
Not all features are available in all editions of Windows 8. Systems may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware, drivers and/or software to take full advantage of Windows 8 functionality. See http://www.microsoft.com.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: December 04, 2012, 11:24:45 PM »
we already posted a few deals that come with the free nook. You need a good deal with it - otherwise you pay extra just for the nook.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: December 04, 2012, 11:26:02 PM »
on a side note - although it says limit 1 per customer I already got 5 nooks. Maybe they didn't notice but I guess YMMV

Offline tech613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: December 04, 2012, 11:33:27 PM »
on a side note - although it says limit 1 per customer I already got 5 nooks. Maybe they didn't notice but I guess YMMV
;)

we already posted a few deals that come with the free nook. You need a good deal with it - otherwise you pay extra just for the nook.

what do u mean by " extra "

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: December 04, 2012, 11:53:07 PM »
I mean that if you don't get a good deal - you're paying a higher price just for the nook

Offline tech613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: December 05, 2012, 12:17:30 AM »
I mean that if you don't get a good deal - you're paying a higher price just for the nook
got it thanks

Offline ag

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: December 05, 2012, 12:20:50 AM »
ALL THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS PLEASE ON THIS LAPTOP!!! I have a few weeks stull to return if I change my mind...
http://microcenter.com/product/393168/IdeaPad_U410_14_Ultra_Laptop_Computer_-_Graphite_Grey

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: December 05, 2012, 12:24:30 AM »
ALL THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS PLEASE ON THIS LAPTOP!!! I have a few weeks stull to return if I change my mind...
http://microcenter.com/product/393168/IdeaPad_U410_14_Ultra_Laptop_Computer_-_Graphite_Grey

It's a better price than elsewhere for those specs, though if you were willing to go with another brand you might do better elsewhere. Looks like a solid piece.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline ag

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: December 05, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »
It's a better price than elsewhere for those specs, though if you were willing to go with another brand you might do better elsewhere. Looks like a solid piece.

Thank you for taking the time to reply! any specific laptop in mind that cld be better elsewhere? I like how this laptop is an ultrabook and is very solid like you said, when comparing it next to dell, dell seems like its made of plastic! which, if you look at the 14z ultrabook from dell its reviews on cnet point out how its not the sturdiest... thanks again for checking it out!

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #2013 on: December 05, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »
Dell 17R $599 (5720)

i5-3210M
6GB Ram
1TB Hards Drive

Coupon - V2R0J251MJVNFG

Cashstar.com is selling a $500 GC, get a $90 free

Offline ag

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: December 05, 2012, 04:10:04 PM »
Dell 17R $599 (5720)

i5-3210M
6GB Ram
1TB Hards Drive

Coupon - V2R0J251MJVNFG

Is this in response to my post? I am looking for a small portable laptop (student so lots of schlepping! and takes up my entire desk if too big!)

Offline mmermss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: December 05, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
Is this in response to my post? I am looking for a small portable laptop (student so lots of schlepping! and takes up my entire desk if too big!)
I dont think so...that has a 17.3" display...quite big for what your'e looking for
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: December 05, 2012, 04:40:25 PM »
Toshiba Satellite U845W-S410 PSU5RU-00Q003 Ultrabook

This is a interesting size Laptop 14.4" (I think made for 21:9 aspect ratio for Movies) - Weighs about 4lbs - $599

3rd generation Intel Core i5-3317U 1.7GHz

6GB DDR3

500GB HDD + 32GB SSD

14.4" Display

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4817548&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=isIkAyUyNbM-hQ7cykQcoQB9NPtTVmQYMQ

This is an extra wide screen - but comes with cool feature split screen option to utilize the extra width.

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: December 05, 2012, 05:19:33 PM »
Toshiba Satellite U845W-S410 PSU5RU-00Q003 Ultrabook

This is a interesting size Laptop 14.4" (I think made for 21:9 aspect ratio for Movies) - Weighs about 4lbs - $599

3rd generation Intel Core i5-3317U 1.7GHz

6GB DDR3

500GB HDD + 32GB SSD

14.4" Display

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4817548&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=isIkAyUyNbM-hQ7cykQcoQB9NPtTVmQYMQ

This is an extra wide screen - but comes with cool feature split screen option to utilize the extra width.
built with a "screen made for movies" and yet no dvd player  ???

(btw it's also available through amazon through tiger direct.  not sure if that helps with returns/issues)

Offline ag

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: December 05, 2012, 05:33:47 PM »
not to be too picky, but i have a problem with toshiba...bad experience:( could have just been a lemon but it has ruined my image of toshiba!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: December 05, 2012, 05:45:15 PM »
Dell 17R $599 (5720)

i5-3210M
6GB Ram
1TB Hards Drive

Coupon - V2R0J251MJVNFG

Good or great deal (after Cashstar)? Cashstar + Cashstar Bonus are instant, right?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael