Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3209517 times)

Offline Forbes

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #6600 on: July 23, 2014, 01:09:10 PM »
Thanks for answering me,
The lenova you linked is of the G series. From the wiki it seems it is the lower end lenova laptop.
The truth is I would prefer a slower i5 in a stronger build laptop to a faster processor in a flimsy build.

How does the Lenova G series rank in this regard?
Thanks!

The Lenovo is a good build, even the g series, the only issues are the less-than-perfect touchpad, and overall non-slick feel (a big deal often overlooked)
Best is to go to ebay, and filter the specs and price you’re looking for.  I think all the new unopened laptops are already 4th gen, and price you’re looking for makes it easier to search for, since they all come with 2 cores and 3mb cache.
I think the most common i5’s now are 4200m and 4200u. You should also beware when looking at clock speed, a lot of sellers don’t put the correct speed, and instead list the higher single core speed (max turbo boost). Also, for your budget I don't think it's getting anything less than 6 or even 8 GB RAM. As far as brands best to worst, the ratings are all over the place, and it really depends on the laptop model rather than brand. You can also compare speeds at cpuboss.com – it’s a great site. You’ll see some i5 are overall better than some i7 (i5 4200M vs.  i7 4500U)
It's not about the money. It's about sending a message. - the Joker

Offline DH Data Recovery

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: July 23, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »
The Lenovo is a good build, even the g series, the only issues are the less-than-perfect touchpad, and overall non-slick feel (a big deal often overlooked)
Best is to go to ebay, and filter the specs and price you’re looking for.  I think all the new unopened laptops are already 4th gen, and price you’re looking for makes it easier to search for, since they all come with 2 cores and 3mb cache.
I think the most common i5’s now are 4200m and 4200u. You should also beware when looking at clock speed, a lot of sellers don’t put the correct speed, and instead list the higher single core speed (max turbo boost). Also, for your budget I don't think it's getting anything less than 6 or even 8 GB RAM. As far as brands best to worst, the ratings are all over the place, and it really depends on the laptop model rather than brand. You can also compare speeds at cpuboss.com – it’s a great site. You’ll see some i5 are overall better than some i7 (i5 4200M vs.  i7 4500U)
Some of the G Series is very bulky and Plastic build. Touchpad is an issue now with many manufacturers as well. The new Dell Inspiron 15 - 3000 series is awful, so are some of the HP ENVY Series and many others
Processors are pretty much split into 2 categories right now. The low power U series and the other models (M or HQ or Q) The U series have a much slower clock speed but use less power and are used in about 75% of laptops right now, you need to look very hard to find anything with a full quad core processor.

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: July 23, 2014, 08:47:19 PM »
according to reviews on amazon and elsewhere this particular model feels both heavy and flimsy, not a good combo...

Can someone provide any other ideas on specific models?
TIA!

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: July 23, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »
I'm looking for a 14 or 15.6 inch laptop with an i5 or higher.
 I need an optical drive.
My main priority after these specs, is a strong build.

my budget is 600 max including tax.

Any ideas?
Thanks!!
If you're in Brooklyn, I just got in a shipment of Lenovo ThinkPad L540 that should fit these specs perfectly.

Here is the model and details.

http://www.amazon.com/Thinkpad-L540-20AV0027US-Laptop-Intel/dp/B00LTJP9VG

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: July 24, 2014, 08:57:11 PM »
I need a cheap laptop for a friend. Is this good?
http://m.staples.com/touch/product.html?catname=Laptops&catid=CL167289#1064935

I know it's a slow processor but unless there is something for under 325 which is better he won't go for it.

http://www.staples.com/ASUS-X551MAV-RCLN06-156-Laptop-4GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-Intel-Celeron/product_1064935

Offline KenZein

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: July 24, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »
I need a cheap laptop for a friend. Is this good?
http://m.staples.com/touch/product.html?catname=Laptops&catid=CL167289#1064935

I know it's a slow processor but unless there is something for under 325 which is better he won't go for it.

http://www.staples.com/ASUS-X551MAV-RCLN06-156-Laptop-4GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-Intel-Celeron/product_1064935

Best Buy has it for 229.99. After tax, if it comes out to above 250, you can use the 25 off 250 from AMEX.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: July 25, 2014, 06:37:02 AM »
What do you guys think about the refurb Chromebook on Woot today?

Looking for something for my wife who uses the internet for regular sites and some video streaming, but otherwise just needs access to Word/Powerpoint. At the same time, I'm really only looking into it bc her current Toshiba only works when plugged in. I imagine she just needs a new battery, but we tried a cheap one for $15 and it didn't work. Once I'm shelling out $100 for an official battery, I was thinking of just getting her a new laptop.

The 200MB/mo of 4G for life is kinda cool too.

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: July 25, 2014, 09:14:04 AM »
Best Buy has it for 229.99. After tax, if it comes out to above 250, you can use the 25 off 250 from AMEX.
Thanks. How about this quad core AMD for $300? http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=6516006&pid=1219219383024

Offline KenZein

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile

Offline kangarruu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: July 25, 2014, 01:06:28 PM »
What do you guys think about the refurb Chromebook on Woot today?

Looking for something for my wife who uses the internet for regular sites and some video streaming, but otherwise just needs access to Word/Powerpoint. At the same time, I'm really only looking into it bc her current Toshiba only works when plugged in. I imagine she just needs a new battery, but we tried a cheap one for $15 and it didn't work. Once I'm shelling out $100 for an official battery, I was thinking of just getting her a new laptop.

The 200MB/mo of 4G for life is kinda cool too.

I've been waiting for exactly this. Note that you'll need to use Google Docs, not Word and PowerPoint.

Any idea if any stores price-match Woot?

Offline d234

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: July 27, 2014, 07:10:24 AM »
hi.  Can anyone help with 1.  is Costco the best place to buy if i want 2nd yr hassle free coverage?
2.I'm looking to purchase a laptop that boots up quickly, handles multiple word documents open at the same time and some standard internet browsing? up to $600.
is this a good deal
  - Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook | Intel Core i5 Processor & Memory: from costco for 649$  (http://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-14-Ultrabook-%7c-Intel-Core-i5-%7c-Backlit-Keyboard-%7c-Machined-aluminum.product.100101193.html)  or
 -Toshiba Satellite S55-B5280, 15.6" Laptop, 12GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, Intel Core i7, Windows 8.1  (http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-Satellite-S55-B5280-156-Laptop-12GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-Intel/product_1064938) for 649 (i have a 75 dollar couponany insight would be greatly appreciated!!! (am i payiong to much..can i really use a simpler model etc.?)

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: July 27, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »
2nd link doesn't work but if these are the choices I would say the first is nicer and the latter is faster.

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: July 27, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »
hi.  Can anyone help with 1.  is Costco the best place to buy if i want 2nd yr hassle free coverage?
2.I'm looking to purchase a laptop that boots up quickly, handles multiple word documents open at the same time and some standard internet browsing? up to $600.
is this a good deal
  - Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook | Intel Core i5 Processor & Memory: from costco for 649$  (http://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-14-Ultrabook-%7c-Intel-Core-i5-%7c-Backlit-Keyboard-%7c-Machined-aluminum.product.100101193.html)  or
 -Toshiba Satellite S55-B5280, 15.6" Laptop, 12GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, Intel Core i7, Windows 8.1  (http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-Satellite-S55-B5280-156-Laptop-12GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-Intel/product_1064938) for 649 (i have a 75 dollar couponany insight would be greatly appreciated!!! (am i payiong to much..can i really use a simpler model etc.?)
I just bought the 2nd it's very good but take note it doesn't have an optical drive

Offline ice man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: July 27, 2014, 12:34:16 PM »
Why don't these computers come with cd drives?

Offline yoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: July 27, 2014, 12:36:46 PM »
Why don't these computers come with cd drives?
What's a CD?

Offline ice man

• View Profile
« Reply #6615 on: July 27, 2014, 12:44:49 PM »
Optical drives

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: July 27, 2014, 01:07:43 PM »
I guess todays days there is no real need for it.

Offline beej

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold
« Reply #6617 on: July 27, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »
I guess todays days there is no real need for it.
I still feel a bit limited without it. Not sure why. Just good to have.
I got the hp i7 with optical (main site Deal) and returned it. It was slow and the keyboard was not responsive.
Now I'm back in the market.

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: July 27, 2014, 01:56:51 PM »
I still feel a bit limited without it. Not sure why. Just good to have.
I got the hp i7 with optical (main site Deal) and returned it. It was slow and the keyboard was not responsive.
Now I'm back in the market.
+1 I would also love one, but I guess u get what u pay.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: July 27, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »
Most Laptops don't come with optical drives anymore because it's unnecessary unless you don't have internet access and it give the manufacturer the ability to make the laptop much lighter and thinner. If you really need one you can buy an external one for about $20 or so.