Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3211559 times)

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #8180 on: June 09, 2015, 05:01:54 PM »
Since most tech guys watch this thread and I could not find a Scanner thread

I need a office Scanner that has auto feeder that can hold 50 pages and comes with a program that allows you to scan one side at a time all the odd pages -- then can do all the even pages and print so that page 1 is on front page 2 on back of pg 1 of paper--- so that you can print
a 100 page document ( front n back) from the 50 pg feeder -

have used Paper Port  11 and worked very well - bought a Samsung multi printer/scanner  -- and found out paper port does not support Samsung machines and  Samsung scanner can not scan so that i can print multi page  2sided documents  - have no idea of cost of machine  would like to spend under 300 --- do not need printer /fax etc just a scanner with auto feed
Epson ds-510
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: June 10, 2015, 01:39:00 AM »
Epson ds-510

Thanks , looks like what I was looking for , my only problem is that I can not find it in Greece , if you know of some others  , please let me know - no problem if you list a few models n brands as not everything is available in Greece -thanks

Offline Krow81

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: June 10, 2015, 09:43:36 AM »
Thanks in advance to Avromie & everyone else who's answered my laptop questions lately. Trying to find a laptop (ultrabook - medium size 13-15 inches) that will fly. I've bought a few XPS 15 9530's for her but had to send them all back even with 16gb ram and 512ssd. I found this on HP and wondering if it may have the speed i need. $1,027+tax free ship
HP Spectre x360 -13t Touch Laptop
K1M35AV_1

Hide customized details
Windows 8.1 64
HP Laptop
McAfee LiveSafe 12 months
512GB Flash Solid State Drive
5th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U Processor + Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (For 8GB memory)
HP Spectre x360 - 13t Touch Laptop
HP TrueVision Full HD WVA Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone
Backlit Keyboard
Onboard 8GB Memory
13.3-inch diagonal QHD WLED-backlit IPS Display (2560x1440) Touchscreen
No DVD or CD Drive
No Additional Office Software
3-cell 56WHr Lithium-ion Battery
Intel 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth(R) [2x2]

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: June 10, 2015, 10:05:54 AM »

Thanks in advance to Avromie & everyone else who's answered my laptop questions lately. Trying to find a laptop (ultrabook - medium size 13-15 inches) that will fly. I've bought a few XPS 15 9530's for her but had to send them all back even with 16gb ram and 512ssd. I found this on HP and wondering if it may have the speed i need. $1,027+tax free ship
HP Spectre x360 -13t Touch Laptop
K1M35AV_1

Hide customized details
Windows 8.1 64
HP Laptop
McAfee LiveSafe 12 months
512GB Flash Solid State Drive
5th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U Processor + Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (For 8GB memory)
HP Spectre x360 - 13t Touch Laptop
HP TrueVision Full HD WVA Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone
Backlit Keyboard
Onboard 8GB Memory
13.3-inch diagonal QHD WLED-backlit IPS Display (2560x1440) Touchscreen
No DVD or CD Drive
No Additional Office Software
3-cell 56WHr Lithium-ion Battery
Intel 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth(R) [2x2]

I will assume you got the highest end xps 15 which sells for $2550 on dell in which case I don't know of a more powerful laptop so its probably being used for the wrong things which are making it slow, this one that you posted is about 1/3 the processor power compared to the xps

Offline Krow81

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: June 10, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »

I will assume you got the highest end xps 15 which sells for $2550 on dell in which case I don't know of a more powerful laptop so its probably being used for the wrong things which are making it slow, this one that you posted is about 1/3 the processor power compared to the xps

Yes, correct assumption, it was a refurb 2014 model from Dell but same 4th gen i7 processor they are still selling Her chief complaint on the SSD machine we had was that word was not responsive, lagging when she scrolled up and down either with touchpad or with an external mouse. Any thoughts?

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: June 10, 2015, 12:24:50 PM »
Yes, correct assumption, it was a refurb 2014 model from Dell but same 4th gen i7 processor they are still selling Her chief complaint on the SSD machine we had was that word was not responsive, lagging when she scrolled up and down either with touchpad or with an external mouse. Any thoughts?
what version of office are you running?

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: June 10, 2015, 01:45:09 PM »
Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5-5200u - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive
Expandable to 8GB RAM

$350

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/3510963.p?id=1219583808956

Offline Krow81

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: June 10, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »
what version of office are you running?

Was running office 2013 on the machine.

Offline Red

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: June 10, 2015, 02:55:33 PM »
Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5-5200u - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive
Expandable to 8GB RAM

$350

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/3510963.p?id=1219583808956
Thanks! Been looking for something like this the past couple of days.

Offline turbjuo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
dell certified refurbished
« Reply #8189 on: June 11, 2015, 01:04:10 AM »
wanted to know whats your take regarding dell certified refurbished?
i know what it means officialy thru the dell outlet website but was looking for some experienced buyers info.
im looking to buy a latitude model on amazon probably and its listed as a certified refurbished.
thanks fellas.

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8190 on: June 11, 2015, 01:34:02 AM »
i know what it means officialy thru the dell outlet website but was looking for some experienced buyers info.
im looking to buy a latitude model on amazon probably and its listed as a certified refurbished.
thanks fellas.
I had a bad experience. I bought something in the "scratch and dent" category, but it was clearly used. Never worked right.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: June 11, 2015, 03:36:06 AM »
Thanks , looks like what I was looking for , my only problem is that I can not find it in Greece , if you know of some others  , please let me know - no problem if you list a few models n brands as not everything is available in Greece -thanks
Fujitsu scansnap s1500 (model # from memory) is the best scanner for the money.  We scan thousands of pages a month with it with no hitch at all.
I also have a xerox scanner which I like a lot and is very customizable,  so might work better for you.  It was considerably more expensive.  If you remind me in about 8 hours I'd be glad to give you the specs on both. 

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: June 11, 2015, 06:04:42 AM »
thanks fellas.
For personal use i would get refurbished if there is significant saving

Offline bb1836

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 154
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: June 11, 2015, 11:00:36 AM »
what is recommended for a laptop used basically for streaming, light word-processing, social media stuff, all that jazz? looking for $250-400 range. TIA
As @davidmal says: "Likes" feed the family

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: June 11, 2015, 11:53:36 AM »
Fujitsu scansnap s1500 (model # from memory) is the best scanner for the money.  We scan thousands of pages a month with it with no hitch at all.
I also have a xerox scanner which I like a lot and is very customizable,  so might work better for you.  It was considerably more expensive.  If you remind me in about 8 hours I'd be glad to give you the specs on both.

THANKS--I had used the xerox  multi machine with scanner for the past 8 years and it worked great now it is on it's last leg , wanted to replace with another Xerox just   felt the same model is now  cheaply made so I bought a inexpensive $300 Samsung to have just in case Xerox dies ---- I thought the Samsung could do multi pages front n back scan  and thought would work with Paper port -- i was wrong!--will look at Fujitsu--THANKS AGAIN

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: June 11, 2015, 12:35:46 PM »
I got 5% off a $1250 order it was delayed about a month.
Got it too!!!
Thanks

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: June 11, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »
THANKS--I had used the xerox  multi machine with scanner for the past 8 years and it worked great now it is on it's last leg , wanted to replace with another Xerox just   felt the same model is now  cheaply made so I bought a inexpensive $300 Samsung to have just in case Xerox dies ---- I thought the Samsung could do multi pages front n back scan  and thought would work with Paper port -- i was wrong!--will look at Fujitsu--THANKS AGAIN
check out the xerox documate 4440. It's great, but not good with checks and small papers. for that the fujitsu is better.

Offline MidasLefko

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: June 11, 2015, 02:53:59 PM »
My company offered to buy a laptop for me. I can spend up to $700 including tax and shipping. Does anybody know any good deals in that range. Ideally I'm looking for an i7 but not the "U" series with a large screen and a graphics card. Please email me if you know of anything. Thanks.

Yitz at grocerkey.com

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: June 11, 2015, 03:12:22 PM »
My company offered to buy a laptop for me. I can spend up to $700 including tax and shipping. Does anybody know any good deals in that range. Ideally I'm looking for an i7 but not the "U" series with a large screen and a graphics card. Please email me if you know of anything. Thanks.

Yitz at grocerkey.com
processor speed and ram are more important than i*

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #8199 on: June 11, 2015, 03:15:30 PM »
Which windows laptop is most similar to a macbook in sleekness, power and style?

Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ