Topic Wiki

ExGingi: Good morning Dan, how's you day going?

Dan: It's going well, thanks for asking.

ExGingi: Wrong. Bh you woke up, thanks to Hashem as explained in modeh ani and even more in depth in inyanei shel toras hachasidus. If you would understand that sicha properly you would know that one doesn't simply wake up, it's not us who wake up, but rather thanks to the brachas of the rebbe and Hashem's help we wake up.
« Last edited by jj1000 on April 20, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

Author Topic: Shlichus Addiction?  (Read 89924 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Shlichus Addiction?
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:46:49 PM »
http://www.crownheights.info/index.php?itemid=39112

Personally I agree with the Op-Ed.  Chabad yeshivas glorify something that is simply not attainable anymore unless you marry a head shliach's daughter, are gezhe/ultra-wealthy/very well connected, or are willing to go on shlichus to a 2-bit college campus or Antarctica.

And I agree with the author's assertion that b/c of the shlichus or bust indoctrination over 8 years in the chabad system that the vast majority who don't go on shlichus put too much focus on the gashmius because they'll never be looked up to in ruchnius as they're not shluchim. 
Or else they focus on how many ways to live off the government while waiting for years in crown heights dreaming that the perfect shlichus spot will magically appear.

As the author says, why didn't we ever hear a businessperson farbreng or even just talk to us for a few minutes while in yeshiva?

Disagree?  Let's hear it!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yaakov s

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Shlichus Addiction?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
While not commenting on the entire article but...

Addiction ? Rabbi Dr Twerski  ::) come on

Unless of course the only thing to do while you wait around is drink a few L'chaims and then some  ;)

You already ranted about it in 2 places I found one http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=5737.msg75002#msg75002 where is the other?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:13:11 PM by yaakov s »

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
One of the best descriptions of "the shlichus system" that I have heard is explaining it as a ponzi scheme. The basic idea being that along time ago there were plenty of not frum people to mekarev and plenty of money so everyone was happy and shluchim were able to hire other shluchim, but now that there are not as many willing "mikuravim" to chabad and for sure not as many places with out shluchim, the scheme is coming to an abrupt end and can not grow anymore or it will collapse. This is how a non-lubavitcher explained it to me roughly.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:41:09 PM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:14:08 PM »
One of the best descriptions of shlichus that I have heard is explaining it as a ponzi scheme. The basic idea being that along time ago there were plenty of not frum people to mekarev and plenty of money so everyone was happy and shluchim were able to hire other shluchim, but now that there are not as many willing "mikuravim" to chabad and for sure not as many places with out shluchim, the scheme is coming to an abrupt end and can not grow anymore or it will collapse. This is how a non-lubavitcher explained it to me roughly.
Wow 2 of Dans pet peeves mixed in one Shlichus and Ponzi/MLM

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
Wow 2 of Dans pet peeves mixed in one Shlichus and Ponzi/MLM

G-d forbid that shlichus is a pet peeve of mine.  Most do incredible work and deserve all the respect in the world.

It's the system that makes 2 classes of chabad chassidim that I have a pet peeve with.

While not commenting on the entire article but...

Addiction ? Rabbi Dr Twerski  ::) come on

Unless of course the only thing to do while you wait around is drink a few L'chaims and then some  ;)

You already ranted about it in 2 places I found one http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=5737.msg75002#msg75002 where is the other?
The author clarified in comment 16 what he meant by addiction.

If you disagree please present logical arguments as to why you disagree without the need for hyperbole.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:01:26 PM »
G-d forbid that shlichus is a pet peeve of mine.  Most do incredible work and deserve all the respect in the world.

It's the system that makes 2 classes of chabad chassidim that I have a pet peeve with.
And I thought it was quite clear what I was referring to , not the act of kiruv but what you refer to as the system.
The author clarified in comment 16 what he meant by addiction.

If you disagree please present logical arguments as to why you disagree without the need for hyperbole.
Him backtracking and watering down the usage of addiction clarifies it.

I believe that the definition of addiction refers to an overwhelming physical craving for something e.g. drugs , gambling , internet ,even shopping . Which even when you want to stop you just cant . Its something that destroys people and families. Does the author really think that every morning  Chabadnikim around the world wake up and say today I will break free , yet neurologically they are propelled toward another day of turning the pages of who knows what ? I highly doubt it. It sounds like a serious issue of peer pressure , bad planning , misguided advice . Similar to the Litvishe worlds Kollel issue and the Chasidisher worlds job training issue . ( Sorry MO not familier with your world) Very important communal problems, and if not addressed can and has caused many problems. Yet no one thinks that one is addicted to Flaums delivery truck driving or B &H or addicted to "officially"staying in learning.

While in conversation ,when used liberally, it might pass muster  . When you are trying to write about something you perceive to be a serious communal issue , using hyperbole like addiction doesnt strengthen your message but weakens it. When he quoted Dr Twerski he tried doing that , nonwithstanding him whitewashing it later on.

Offline Nitantnel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:30:29 PM »
A Chasidisher Yungerman straight out of Kolel can't get a job earning more than 8 dollars an hour these days, unless he schleps to B & H; there too I am not sure if he will be making more than that. I therefore think that this Op-ed intertwines heavily with the recent college op-ed's.

BTW, is it because this is a serious issue in your eyes that it did not get posted in JS?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:36:47 PM »
I therefore think that this Op-ed intertwines heavily with the recent college op-ed's.

BTW, is it because this is a serious issue in your eyes that it did not get posted in JS?

both points +1

good comment on crownheights.info

But my child's shidduch!?! Who will want to marry our bochurim if they aren't the best? There will always be some condescending attitude towards those who don't call themselves shluchim.. Let's not fool ourselves. Our dogmatic lifestyles have led us to focus on “shlichus” “chassidishkeit” and various other stigmas. Meanwhile the many of those in lubavitch have completely forgotten about real life. That is, life's difficulties as they present themselves. Ironically, this article reffers to shlichus as an addiction.
Well addiction just happens to be one of those “issues” that get slipped under the rug in our community.
Quit fantasizing. Get a job. Those who should get shlichus will in fact do just that. Everyone else, provide for your families some other way. Don't worry, your're not bad if you don't go on shlichus. Hashem's plan is always better than ours.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:46:17 PM by jj1000 »

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 04:15:11 AM »

And I agree with the author's assertion that b/c of the shlichus or bust indoctrination over 8 years in the chabad system that the vast majority who don't go on shlichus put too much focus on the gashmius because they'll never be looked up to in ruchnius as they're not shluchim. 

I never thought of it this way. That's a very interesting observation.

I think the (anon) author makes some good points, but calling it an addiction makes him lose credibility.
I don't usually turn to CH.info for my news either. It's a pretty sick and hateful site which mixes some good into it to get validity.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 08:45:41 AM »
It's a pretty sick and hateful site which mixes some good into it to get validity.
Any more than col?
I don't go to either anymmore, but a link to this was posted on FB.

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 09:38:24 AM »
Any more than col?

Yes, much worse then COLlive. The latter are more responsible in what they post. I'm not a big fan of them either, but the best thing they've done so far is make another news outlet which take the masses away from CH.info.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »
I don't go to either anymmore, but a link to this was posted on FB.

Care to share why? -I don't either.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »
Care to share why? -I don't either.

It's a tabloid... At least avak-lh"r IMHO.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 08:25:37 PM »
Yeah, I didn't like how collive pushes an agenda.

They edit comments! Try writing something that doens;t fit with the Chabad-light model their trying to project and the'll simply delete it!

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 01:35:01 PM »
Is this a solution to our system? http://collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=21053&alias=who-is-worrying-for-our-children
I don't agree with many of his points, but the premise that tuition is stifling cannot be argued and is an embarrassment.
That a zal (where you learn with a chavrusa for 90%+ of the day) should charge $20,000 is a downright abomination.
But I don't need a handout from merkaz, I want accountability for that kind of tuition.

If smicha programs can make a go of not charging tuition based on learning with the community for a small part of the day then why not a zal as well?

Offline WhyAich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 01:49:27 PM »

or Antarctica.

I went to Vilnius and it still didn't work ... so there's no guarantees....

as a person that was burned on shlichus, (disclaimer: it's was an amazing opp. and would never take it back!) the main issue is money, and unfortunately even if a shliach has money today, who know what will tomorrow. i know someone that is a shliach and works under someone and he told me last year that he can count how many guys are working under a shliach and still are there after 5 years.

Today this shliach is already not working by his boss anymore...no money. His boss was able to pay for 6-7 years, but family got bigger etc and the boss couldn't pay....

sad but true...

So is there no hope?

either you are family, or you MUST BE independent in some way. HAve some programs that you get money for, have ability for fundraising yourself....

AND PS.... shlichus is wherever you are it's an attitude not a location!
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 11:13:18 PM »
+1
The Rebbe emphasized this constantly.
And, if you look at the generation of people currently ~50, there are many who wanted to go on Shlichus, and can certainly be regarded as "Shlichus material", and the Rebbe told them to go into business, and that would be their Shlichus.
Hearing a Shliach farbreng with the Bochurim is usually different than hearing the same Shliach farbreng with Yungeleit.
I have attended many farbrengens, where the Shluchim farbreng with Yungeleit about making their job a Shlichus.

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 12:24:01 AM »

either you are family

and even that is no guarantee of parnassah...

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 11:07:48 AM »

+1