Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 997089 times)

Offline mancunian

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Moving Violation Tickets
« on: October 18, 2009, 07:24:28 PM »
Need some help here.

I got a few of them.

Anyone have any experience in ny (or ca?)

No points, cause its a ca license (so i heard).

I need to fight it (them) cause i aint got the gelt - anyone got any ideas how to go about it or know of anyone to call - lawyers or yidelach...

thanks
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:17:09 PM by jj1000 »

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Re: Trafic Tickets
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »
i got points on my ca license from a ticket in nj, not sure about ny

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:18:38 PM »
oooh

they might just take it away then

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 03:33:25 AM »
Don't know about the states, but in a lot of countries where besides the fine they have a point system, you get some 99 year old guy from a different country which will not set a foot on USA soil, and signs (with passport copy) that he was driving your car at the time.

The perfect situation would be a passport from a foreign deceased person.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:40:02 AM »
Don't know about the states, but in a lot of countries where besides the fine they have a point system, you get some 99 year old guy from a different country which will not set a foot on USA soil, and signs (with passport copy) that he was driving your car at the time.

The perfect situation would be a passport from a foreign deceased person.
you only get points for a moving violation so im not sure how that would help

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 02:52:52 PM »
I'm not sure what "moving violation" is, does that mean while driving, such as speeding? if yes, it should still help. If it means that you were stopped by a cop, and they got your papers, then it won't help.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:35:31 PM »
I'm not sure what "moving violation" is, does that mean while driving, such as speeding? if yes, it should still help. If it means that you were stopped by a cop, and they got your papers, then it won't help.
how do you get a speeding ticket without being pulled over?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 05:15:01 PM »
how do you get a speeding ticket without being pulled over?
Red light/speed camera

However AFAIK a ticket by camera is not a moving violation, hence no points.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 05:57:26 PM »
Red light/speed camera

However AFAIK a ticket by camera is not a moving violation, hence no points.
i think there are points for going through a red on camera, but they see who is driving also in the picture

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »
i think there are points for going through a red on camera, but they see who is driving also in the picture
In Cleveland it is $100 for a red light or speeding camera violation ($200 in a school zone) and it is not a moving violation, it is only a civil offense=no points.

From my 2 camera tickets (I contested my most recent violation and won the case) there's no way you can see who is driving the car from the pictures.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 05:59:43 AM »
If you know you would need to rush, people use the following 2 tricks:

* wear a scarf and sun glasses and hat
* if you have a second car driving along, and you drive next to each other, they don't know for who the flash was made, i.e. you can always say you drove normally. (obviously this doesn't help for passing red.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 09:44:04 AM »
 In NY its the car that gets the tkt not the driver with the Cameras. So they dont care who was driving at the time as the owner of the vechile is responsible. Thusly why in NY they dont take a pic of the driver and only the of the car

The owner cant get away with saying I dont know who was driving my car at that time but I know it wasnt me. The judge will still hit them with the Fine, since all NY cares about is if the car went thru the light and not who was driving it thru it.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 11:36:06 AM »
Agreed, but they cant give you negative points on YOUR license, if someone else did it (and agrees that he did it).

You will pay the fine, but you shouldn't get neg points.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 12:01:49 PM »
Agreed, but they cant give you negative points on YOUR license, if someone else did it (and agrees that he did it).

You will pay the fine, but you shouldn't get neg points.

"Top 5 things to know about Red Lights in New York.

2.  A red light camera ticket is not a moving violation.  The camera cannot identify a particular driver and a moving violation summons cannot therefore be issued against a particular person’s driver license.  Red light camera tickets are treated as parking violations and are issued to the registrant.  If you are the registered owner, you are officially on the hook if a camera snaps a picture of your car disobeying a red light regardless of who was driving just like you’d be responsible for a parking ticket regardless of who actually parked the car."

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 03:28:29 PM »
i got a ticket for making a left in brooklyn 86 street by century 21 when there was a sign no left is there points on that? and could i fight it by pleading not guilty?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »
i got a ticket for making a left in brooklyn 86 street by century 21 when there was a sign no left is there points on that? and could i fight it by pleading not guilty?

did a cop stop You or was it a camera? if a cop thats a moving violation and points if found or plead Guilty. If you plead not guilty and are found Guilty the judge can up the amount of the Fine and usually do

samething if caught by a camera going thru a Red Light no pts, if a cop stops you Pts

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 08:35:12 PM »
got stoped by a cop, and what are the chances of not being found guilty do they plea bargin like in upstate ny to a parking ticket

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 09:08:58 PM »
got stoped by a cop, and what are the chances of not being found guilty do they plea bargin like in upstate ny to a parking ticket

unfortunately for You Not at All, its not NJ either where all they really want is your $$$. Howell is notorious for that they will bargain on anything. So you get either no pts or 1 or 2  but pay $100s instead of less then $100

NYC wants your Blood not your $$$

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 09:14:39 PM »
so i guess just plead guilty and hope the points wont affect me i have a clean record

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »
so i guess just plead guilty and hope the points wont affect me i have a clean record
You can try hiring a lawyer if you're worried about insurance rates.  A good one should be able to get you out of the points.