Author Topic: Whoever hates apple, post here!  (Read 54974 times)

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whoever hates apple, post here!
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2008, 01:24:06 AM »
if you have an extra 8 min
there its settled

Online whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2008, 01:51:02 AM »
Macs are not better cause thy cost more, macs are just better, if i paid $500 it will still be better
See, here's Apple's superior advertising at work. "Apple's are just better and that's it. nothing you say can convince me otherwise."

now explain that thing with buying XP? i dont get that Vista is later then XP right? maybe let me but an old mac it will also cost allot less and then i can start saying macs are infact cheaper then PC's.
The fact that Microsoft screwed up with Vista does not make apple better than pc.

And no OS X dose not work on a PC which is one of the any things that make it better, Apple picks there hardware to work together with the software, thy dont want you PC cheap skates putting OS X on a PC
Do I understand you correctly? you're saying it's a GOOD thing that Apple makes you use everything proprietary? needing to do what apple wants instead of what you want makes apple better???

Basically, in my opinion, if you're getting a computer for the iLife functionality (and don't mind spending a little more) you're probably better off with a mac. Even you're getting a computer for any more serious use you're better off with a pc (and as somebody (Mordy?) already pointed out, mac's USED TO BE better for graphics. not any more)

And of course if you're going to hang out at the tea lounge every night, get a mac -you'll need it to fit in :)

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2008, 01:51:49 AM »
there its settled
I though the ending was hilarious. About the "Creative stuff being juvenile", ROFLMAO
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2008, 01:56:26 AM »
And of course if you're going to hang out at the tea lounge every night, get a mac -you'll need it to fit in :)

That is so true, I can't stop laughing. If you frequent starbucks, make sure you get a mac, otherwise your gonna get bullied.

whYME, You bring down some very good points, like I already told scrabble in a PM, Apple uses the same INTEL, NVIDIA, SEAGATE, WD, Or any component for that matter as dell uses. My T9500 is the same on as in the apple, so is my 8600m GT So in reality the only thing you can say is better about apple is OSX (Or iLife) And that DOES NOT warrant being triple the price of a regular pc. Nuff said.
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline corny

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2008, 02:58:03 AM »
there its settled
that was freakin hilarious, maby thats where all the money you pay for a mac go's to, to come up with these adds
[personally i would rather pay for my pc and not for good adds]

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2008, 04:34:05 AM »
that was freakin hilarious, maby thats where all the money you pay for a mac go's to, to come up with these adds
[personally i would rather pay for my pc and not for good adds]
Corny, don't be silly. They can't put ALL the money into ad's, with the extra money, they just line their pockets. Isn't it fun getting rich from stupid Americans, who have nothing to do better with their money.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
OK ENOUGH!!!
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »
Settle down Yitz and scrabble!
The two of you started off as an interesting argument, but now you're getting way too emotionally involved!

Yitz, like I mentioned before, don't hate Apple for catering to a niche market... In fact, Dan even said he respects them for making a marketing move that saved their company financially (even though they sold out in the eyes of Apple fanbois).

And scrable, at some point you're going to need to come to the realization that while Macs are great for a specific demographic, the majority of hardcore users will never recognize it as a viable computing platform for the things they want to do. The things Yitz was talking about doing (hacking together and compiling a customized firmware for our phones and flashing them as new roms) WILL NOT WORK on a Mac, as well as many of the things that I personally do on my PC on a regular basis. I do, however, consider myself a power user, and I recognize that most people won't have the same needs as I do. That's why I recommend Mac OS for certain people- its just not for me.
In fact, I enjoy using Mac OS, even when running on Windows hardware (yes, by the way, you CAN do that. I have a colleague to installs Mac OS on standard PC's all the time as a side job... more info on that: http://uneasysilence.com/os-x-proven-hacked-and-running-on-an-ordinary-pc/), however it still can't run the development environment that I like to tinker in (even in an emulator, I need direct access to the com ports which doesn't work in emulation), nor does it run many of the pro-grade software or hardware that I prefer using for my hobbies or work (real time editing cards, suite of motion capture and animation tools, etc).

The sad truth is that Windows PC's still have far more software and hardware available than Macs do, and the end result is that not all the same things will work on a Mac, however the Windows PC can still do all the things a Mac can. I'm not saying that makes either superior, but if you're going to argue about functionality, scrable, you won't win.

The terminal... I'm having trouble understanding why you think that would convince us that the Mac OS is for "Advanced Users", when the terminal is nothing more than a command prompt, which has existed on every personal computer since the dawn of time.
In fact, the Mac OS terminal, which is based on a BSD Unix command line, is ALSO dumbed down!
Yes, did you know that Apple tried to even make THAT more user friendly by modifying some of the commands, and changing things like case-sensitivity? The end result is that hardcore advanced linux users who think they can now run their favorite BSD compatible scripts are going to run into problems.

As far as hardware goes, Mac hardware isn't superior, not any more at least, as I mentioned earlier, since they use identical hardware. And that laptop review that you linked to (macbook running Vista faster than other PC laptops), was comparing the 2.4ghz macbook pro to a 2.2ghz Gateway laptop. The Macbook used a faster CPU, and cost more, and that's why its faster (and more expensive). I mean, seriously, why would you believe that the same hardware would be faster if it sits inside an Apple branded box? Did you think that because the Apple Rabbi "blesses" the laptop with the Apple insignia, it magically makes the identical Intel chip run faster?
Same hardware + Same software = exact same results.

Scrable, this is an argument you can not win.
Apple makes great mainstream products for the masses, but they ARE more expensive "boutique" computers that are a lot of glitz and glam, and little else. For the average user, this is great. For people like me, its useless.
Yes, iLife exists only on a mac. iLife is merely consumer-grade software, however, which means anyone in the professional industry, or pro-sumer class hobbyists who take their media passion to heart aren't even remotely interested in iLife. I have a few coworkers in the graphics industry who use Macs, mostly because they're fashionable people and want the fashionable product. However, none of them have any use for iLife. Forget garage band and use Pro Tools or Audition, forget iMovie and use Premiere or Avid... see where I'm going with this? iLife is a simple product for simple people.
If you're going to continue to tout THAT as why Macs are better, than clearly you fall into the demographic I have been describing for Apple's computers: a very simple home computer user who wants everything spoonfed. That's fine. That's what they're here for.

Now, back to the topic... should we HATE Apple for creating computers for this demographic?
I say no.
But its very frustrating when people put them up on that pedestal as the greatest computing platform of all time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 05:02:40 PM by Mordy »
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2008, 06:34:56 PM »
Settle down Yitz and scrabble!
The two of you started off as an interesting argument, but now you're getting way too emotionally involved!

Yitz, like I mentioned before, don't hate Apple for catering to a niche market... In fact, Dan even said he respects them for making a marketing move that saved their company financially (even though they sold out in the eyes of Apple fanbois).

And scrable, at some point you're going to need to come to the realization that while Macs are great for a specific demographic, the majority of hardcore users will never recognize it as a viable computing platform for the things they want to do. The things Yitz was talking about doing (hacking together and compiling a customized firmware for our phones and flashing them as new roms) WILL NOT WORK on a Mac, as well as many of the things that I personally do on my PC on a regular basis. I do, however, consider myself a power user, and I recognize that most people won't have the same needs as I do. That's why I recommend Mac OS for certain people- its just not for me.
In fact, I enjoy using Mac OS, even when running on Windows hardware (yes, by the way, you CAN do that. I have a colleague to installs Mac OS on standard PC's all the time as a side job... more info on that: http://uneasysilence.com/os-x-proven-hacked-and-running-on-an-ordinary-pc/), however it still can't run the development environment that I like to tinker in (even in an emulator, I need direct access to the com ports which doesn't work in emulation), nor does it run many of the pro-grade software or hardware that I prefer using for my hobbies or work (real time editing cards, suite of motion capture and animation tools, etc).

The sad truth is that Windows PC's still have far more software and hardware available than Macs do, and the end result is that not all the same things will work on a Mac, however the Windows PC can still do all the things a Mac can. I'm not saying that makes either superior, but if you're going to argue about functionality, scrable, you won't win.

The terminal... I'm having trouble understanding why you think that would convince us that the Mac OS is for "Advanced Users", when the terminal is nothing more than a command prompt, which has existed on every personal computer since the dawn of time.
In fact, the Mac OS terminal, which is based on a BSD Unix command line, is ALSO dumbed down!
Yes, did you know that Apple tried to even make THAT more user friendly by modifying some of the commands, and changing things like case-sensitivity? The end result is that hardcore advanced linux users who think they can now run their favorite BSD compatible scripts are going to run into problems.

As far as hardware goes, Mac hardware isn't superior, not any more at least, as I mentioned earlier, since they use identical hardware. And that laptop review that you linked to (macbook running Vista faster than other PC laptops), was comparing the 2.4ghz macbook pro to a 2.2ghz Gateway laptop. The Macbook used a faster CPU, and cost more, and that's why its faster (and more expensive). I mean, seriously, why would you believe that the same hardware would be faster if it sits inside an Apple branded box? Did you think that because the Apple Rabbi "blesses" the laptop with the Apple insignia, it magically makes the identical Intel chip run faster?
Same hardware + Same software = exact same results.

Scrable, this is an argument you can not win.
Apple makes great mainstream products for the masses, but they ARE more expensive "boutique" computers that are a lot of glitz and glam, and little else. For the average user, this is great. For people like me, its useless.
Yes, iLife exists only on a mac. iLife is merely consumer-grade software, however, which means anyone in the professional industry, or pro-sumer class hobbyists who take their media passion to heart aren't even remotely interested in iLife. I have a few coworkers in the graphics industry who use Macs, mostly because they're fashionable people and want the fashionable product. However, none of them have any use for iLife. Forget garage band and use Pro Tools or Audition, forget iMovie and use Premiere or Avid... see where I'm going with this? iLife is a simple product for simple people.
If you're going to continue to tout THAT as why Macs are better, than clearly you fall into the demographic I have been describing for Apple's computers: a very simple home computer user who wants everything spoonfed. That's fine. That's what they're here for.

Now, back to the topic... should we HATE Apple for creating computers for this demographic?
I say no.
But its very frustrating when people put them up on that pedestal as the greatest computing platform of all time.
Mordy, I respect everything you said, and it was the most truthful speech I've yet to see. I will now admit, I don't HATE apple, I dislike it when the people that use them think they are superior products, just because they paid more, hopefully this ends the argument.

And thank you for repeating what I've been saying in a more fashionable manner, that no matter what you may say, PC's are still the bulk of the market, and are better then apple for people that want raw power.

How would you mind if I copied and pasted what you said in mac forum, ooh that would be fun! LMAO.

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »
Sorry but i do NOT use iLife, it's just something you dont have on a PC, so saying macs are expensive, and only dumb people buy it is wrong, for the most consumer it has all what thy need, for that price, just for you pro consumers dont like it cause you like hacking your way around. i use allot of the adobe pro software, but i use final cut pro as well, ye your obviously going to say that it sucks cause you have Vegas Pro.

Yitzter: Please go and post it on the mac forums, if you dont mined send me a link after it's posted.
Zalman.

Online whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2008, 02:17:23 AM »
Sorry but i do NOT use iLife, it's just something you dont have on a PC, so saying macs are expensive, and only dumb people buy it is wrong, for the most consumer it has all what thy need, for that price, just for you pro consumers dont like it cause you like hacking your way around. i use allot of the adobe pro software, but i use final cut pro as well, ye your obviously going to say that it sucks cause you have Vegas Pro.
1. for you what's the advantage of a mac over a pc?
2. he didn't say only dumb people buy macs. he said that macs are dumbed-down and limited in their functionality. (and many people buy them because it's a "boutique" product)
3. Yes, final cut pro is a great product. but the fact that Apple makes some great software doesnt make a mac better than a pc.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2008, 02:20:15 AM »

Yitzter: Please go and post it on the mac forums, if you dont mined send me a link after it's posted.
Seriously dude, no offense but you sound like thickheaded person. READ THE FREAKING POSTS!

And LEARN HOW TO SPELL.

And last but not least, when I told mordy I'd put it on the mac forums, I wasn't serious. Hence the LMAO. Geeezz.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2008, 10:21:38 AM »
I would never say someone is "dumb" for buying a Mac. This is not the first time you have assumed something improperly in this thread- Remember when you said I hate all things Mac? I have a Mac back home (as well as several other computers)... does that mean I'm calling myself Dumb? Do I hate myself for having one?
I love it, its cute and fun, and little kids can figure out how to use it easily. But I can barely do any of the stuff I do on a regular basis with it, so its really just there as a toy (and a tribute to the fact that I once loved Apple).

Everyone should lay off scrable for a little bit. Especially Yitz... don't go insulting him (thickheaded??). He seems to be confused. Let him be.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
-Eli

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2008, 04:40:25 PM »
heh... cute.

The first link declares it a draw.
The second one is more of an out-of-date analysis ("macs are better for artistic applications... like the Adobe suites"... as I mentioned before, 10 years ago, true. Now, they share hardware and by extension share benchmarks. Also, the Adobe suites are actually cross platform, with updates such as multi-processor support often appearing on the PC end before the mac side of things).

Boo on uneducated consumerism reporting!

:P

Offline YG

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »
Sorry to being this up again.

Not asking to continue the fight, what I would like to know is:
Has the metzius changed in the past five years, or is it all the same and the opinions will be consistent with the way they were when this thread was raging?

Offline Twin

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2013, 07:09:26 PM »
Sorry to being this up again.
Nice find!!!
HATE!!!!

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »
When Apple was superior there was what to hate. Nowadays, many companies are better than them. I'm not talking about the shareholders. They should be happy.

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2013, 07:34:26 PM »
When Apple was superior there was what to hate. Nowadays, many companies are better than them. I'm not talking about the shareholders. They should be happy.
Huh?

Offline Twin

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
Huh?
In 2008 stock was around $120 today its $415

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2013, 07:56:18 PM »
In 2008 stock was around $120 today its $415
Got it! I see you understood my question.