Author Topic: HUGE signup bonus on new Chase visa BA card!!!! 100K!!!  (Read 43955 times)

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
HUGE signup bonus on new Chase visa BA card!!!! 100K!!!
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »
Chase Visa just launched a new sign up promotion on their British Airways card!
Unbelievable 100,000 mile bonus- 50K upon sign up + 50K after spending $2000 in the first 3 months!

This is on top of their recent upgrade of earning 1.25 miles per dollar spent (2.5 per $ spent on BA) so it technically gives you the same value as if you would transfer from SPG to BA except you get the 25% bonus on every dollar spent not only when transferring in 20K increments (of course this is assuming if you plan on using BA anyways... :))

In addition there is also an added bonus that if you spend $30K in any given year you get a 2 for 1 voucher to fly same class on an award ticket! the voucher is valid for 2 years.
To break it down for you- if you spend $30K you will have 137,500 miles in your acct (100K bonus + 30K spending + 25% spending bonus) enough for a round trip ticket NYC-TLV in BA Business and the voucher will allow you to take along a companion! or 2 RT tickets in economy with plus a 3rd on the voucher.
This card has a $75 annual fee
Also take into account that BA taxes and fees on award flights are little above the usual and availability is said to be tight at times.

One more thing for those who aren't familiar with BA- you can have a household account where all members have their own FF# and all the miles get pooled. Husband and wife signup..... do the math ;D

here is the signup link with this bonus;

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/britishairways/hp_postpin

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: HUGE signup bonus on new Chase visa BA card!!!! 100K!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 11:12:18 PM »
sounds to simple! around how much are the taxes and fees?

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 11:18:40 PM »
I have heard they can be as high as $400-$500 but maybe someone else here can confirm for sure.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline fest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 12:08:31 AM »
dan,are we goin aboard?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:11:21 AM »
dan,are we goin aboard?

Did you read my thoughts on the card?
Anyone think I'm wrong?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 05:07:46 AM »
Not wrong, but tlv-nyc isn't the only route, you can use it all over the world except for this europe - usa limitation. And using it on a cathay, Jal, Qantas, etc, where taxes are much less.

Even though more miles are needed, 100k, compared to the regular 25k-30k signups, outweighs it disadvantage.

Offline whatever99

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 11:11:14 PM »
Forgive my ignorance if this is an oft-asked question, I didn't see a FAQ for these boards. When it comes to annual fees for cards like these, is the fee assessed up front? Or at the end of the year? If it's up front, if I cancel the card halfway through the year do I get back a pro-rated amount of the annual fee?

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 01:03:17 AM »
If this hasn't changed, using ba miles for Cathay there is no fuel charge, they dont go to Israel but there other places to fly to

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 04:28:28 AM »
Dan, you know I respect everything you say, but I have to say that on this one I think you are flat out wrong. Just the fact of having 100,000 miles for $75 is HUGE and even though there is a fuel surcharge now, they may abolish it in a few months, or maybe on other carriers it is much less or doesn't apply at all. Even more, maybe I'll need to book a last minute ticket and I would be happy to shell out $800 instead of a fare of $3,500.

Just my 2 cents.
-Eli

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »
Dan, you know I respect everything you say, but I have to say that on this one I think you are flat out wrong. Just the fact of having 100,000 miles for $75 is HUGE and even though there is a fuel surcharge now, they may abolish it in a few months, or maybe on other carriers it is much less or doesn't apply at all. Even more, maybe I'll need to book a last minute ticket and I would be happy to shell out $800 instead of a fare of $3,500.

Just my 2 cents.

Like I said it's possible that I'm wrong here, but I can guarantee that BA isn't dropping their fuel surcharge tomorrow.
I don't find it worth it to collect miles to get a discount on a ticket and I'm offended by programs that do charge rip-off fees on award tickets..

Now whether it's worth collecting BA miles for AA travel is another story, but it's extremely limited in use as you can't use BA miles to fly AA across the Atlantic.

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 06:07:32 PM »
Is it not worth it for flights to europe How many miles would that be? And what about just for upgrades ? 

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »
Is it not worth it for flights to europe How many miles would that be? And what about just for upgrades ?  

I can assure you that no one Including myself on this site is a candidate for an Upgrade on BA.

Why? cause you have to purchase an Extremely expensive Coach tkt in order to upgrade a BA coach tkt using BA miles.

Now I didnt say that I couldnt afford to do it or that no one on this site couldnt afford to do it. I just dont think theres even 1 idiot on this site that would spend so much $$$$ just to beable to upgrade a BA coach tkt. When for alot less $$ they probably could get a Biz tkt via a consolidator or simply buy the number of miles they need off someone and it will cost them alot less then what BA sells its upgradable Coach fares for.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 08:12:57 PM »
Like I said it's possible that I'm wrong here, but I can guarantee that BA isn't dropping their fuel surcharge tomorrow.
I don't find it worth it to collect miles to get a discount on a ticket and I'm offended by programs that do charge rip-off fees on award tickets..

Now whether it's worth collecting BA miles for AA travel is another story, but it's extremely limited in use as you can't use BA miles to fly AA across the Atlantic.

I Agree with you regarding the YQ (fuel surcharge) its not going away any time soon. Heck when oil went down to $35 a barrel BA still charged what they are today. And with oil back around $80 I wouldnt be surprised to see BA raise the amount to boot. Now if oil went to say $15 and stayed there yea BA will lower it but not get rid of it, if they did get rid of it, Im 1000% sure theyd find something new to get the $$ for As BA is hurting very bad at this time

If a person is heading to London anyway , they will be hit with the very high taxes but as long as they dont fly beyond LHR the fuel surcharge will be only for 2 segments, not something Id want to pay but still not the end of the world, just dont forget the CC costs $75. So adding up all the fees a person is a far cry from getting a "FREE" tkt. But they can get a tkt for less then it would cost them if they would purchase it outright, but then no miles are earned on a free tkt

I had a number of people call me today and ask what they should do and I said get it, their main thing was to use the miles for free flights in the US.To the person who wanted the miles to get to TLV I said dont waste your time or $$

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 09:55:56 PM »
 Ok heres the difference between BA & AA for a Coach tkt to Rome (where I happen to be going in a couple of weeks for a few days on an AA free tkt)

BA: 60k in miles & $291

AA: 40k (special off season rate) & $45

a biz tkt is 100k on AA & 120k on BA with the same $ amounts being charged as above

so BA is more  since you have to go via LHR going & coming and LHR has steep taxes and its more miles. Is it a rip, I dont have a clue where I could purchase a tkt to Rome for $291 (ok add the $75 ann fee) still its not that bad but hardly FREE.

Then again I purchased a coach tkt to Rome on UA this past Aug that cost me $508 all in and I earned a ton of miles. And since the plane was oversold in Coach both ways as a 1K, UA OPUPed me to Biz both ways ;D. On top of that my FCO-IAD flight was so late I missed my connection to LGA and had to wait 5 hrs for the next flight. Of cause that RJ was too heavy and they needed a vol, so I ended up with a VDB and a $500 voucher,hotel room at IAD, and $15 meal voucher (sold it for $10) But 1 cant rely on this happening at all.

So to someone who isnt in the Status game Rome for $291 + 75 isnt really that bad at all, for 2 people youd need to charge $20k or another $18k on the card (since $2k must be charged to get the 2nd 50k). Or simply have both husband and wife apply for the Card, find a way to charge the $40k and fly in Biz

London will be slightly less both in miles needed and fees as Rome is 4 segments (1 long & 1 short,(TLV is 2 long each way)) while London is just 1 long each way

Not the Best deal by far, nor the Worst

« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 09:59:23 PM by steve2 »

Online gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
1) are chase cards combinable/downgradable?

2) are chase cards generally churnable?

Offline DG

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 02:38:19 AM »
I don't understand why someone would NOT apply. At the very least, without spending the 2k in three months, you have 50,000 miles to play with. Hawaii is 35k round trip from US cities and I "might as well" take that for free. For the $2k, another 50,000 miles is even more unreal.

If you think that AAdvantage Citicards are a better deal - keep on doing those as well, however, Dan, I don't see why this isn't a good deal.

Even if it isn't great, it's definitely not worth passing up.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 09:23:21 AM »
dan already said because of the surcharges

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 11:54:15 AM »
dan already said because of the surcharges

dont know how to break it to you, but Dan isnt already Right

and I agree with DG the deal is definitely not worth passing up. so much so that my BA CC is on the way to me and already appears along with my other Chase CCs when I looked online

But there will be better things out there for those who would rather Brag about how they got to TLV for little or nothing, but who says you have to use the BA miles to go to TLV
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:56:49 AM by steve2 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 12:00:45 PM »
I never said this isn't a worthwhile deal for the $75 annual fee.

What I wrote was in response to other bloggers who were conveniently leaving off the fact that BA charges obscene fuel surcharges when flying on BA, and that you won't be able to cross the atlantic without avoiding those $$$ surcharges.