Author Topic: high balance on credit report  (Read 5914 times)

Offline creditor

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
high balance on credit report
« on: January 04, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »
so we know that lenders/cc issuers besides looking at the actual credit score they look at inquiries/late payments/+other factors
in my story I have an excellent credit score, but one credit card we have carried an over CL revolving balance for a while, a term called  'high credit to debt ratio' not a late payment tough since the minimum was always payed,
my question:do lenders get concerned when they see a high credit to debt ratio  of a previous month, eventough the balance currently is zero, this term appears on CR as "high balance" meaning the highest balance you ever had on that CL
again thats the only bad thing on my CR, and its not a late payment,
p.s. please no I thinks/probably/etc.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:15:32 AM by creditor »
I'm just say'in©®

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: high limit on credit report
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 06:33:45 AM »
Why do you feel this is a bad thing? If your card reports the high limit instead of the CL is it a NPSL card?
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline creditor

• View Profile
Re: Re: high limit on credit report
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 07:16:24 AM »
Why do you feel this is a bad thing? If your card reports the high limit instead of the CL is it a NPSL card?
they do report the CL still they also report the highest BALANCE ever on that limit
I'm just say'in©®

Offline 3ZeroT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: high balance on credit report
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
They only focus on the current snapshot of debt to credit ratio.  Not much in that regard can be deduced from a prior high revolving balance (when it was and your available credit at that time, etc.) 

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
They only focus on the current snapshot of debt to credit ratio.  Not much in that regard can be deduced from a prior high revolving balance (when it was and your available credit at that time, etc.)

Not true, one of the reasons I was denied was because I had a high debt to CL ratio and at the time of the application it was all paid up, but the mere fact that I maxed out my limit months before, waived the red flag that I'm a high risk, I borrow all that's available to me.

even if you get your limit raised, it will still say that from x to x the limit was x, just because now the highest you spent is no where near the current CL, but they can see when you spent the highest and what the limit was then!

Offline creditor

• View Profile
Re: Re: high balance on credit report
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »
Not true, one of the reasons I was denied was because I had a high debt to CL ratio and at the time of the application it was all paid up, but the mere fact that I maxed out my limit months before, waived the red flag that I'm a high risk, I borrow all that's available to me.

even if you get your limit raised, it will still say that from x to x the limit was x, just because now the highest you spent is no where near the current CL, but they can see when you spent the highest and what the limit was then!
did it already show on your CR as 00 balance? paying it off doesn't necessarily mean its already updated on CR, it depends when your creditors reporting date is,
I'm just say'in©®

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
Re: Re: Re: high balance on credit report
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »
did it already show on your CR as 00 balance? paying it off doesn't necessarily mean its already updated on CR, it depends when your creditors reporting date is,
Yes, it was a few months later

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 03:05:33 PM »
AFAIK, the the issuing creditor cannot see the past historical activity with any non-issuing creditors when evaluating your credit report/application. As mentioned above, they only see a snapshot.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline creditor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »
AFAIK, the the issuing creditor cannot see the past historical activity with any non-issuing creditors when evaluating your credit report/application. As mentioned above, they only see a snapshot.
doesn't make sense to me, it appears together with the basic account info like date opened/CL/date reported... its not something barried deep on the history
I'm just say'in©®

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
doesn't make sense to me, it appears together with the basic account info like date opened/CL/date reported... its not something barried deep on the history

+1
They don't need to look at lasts' month report.  It shows the previous months dept/spend ratio together with the other basic info.

Offline creditor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »

Sir was the high credit-debt ratio  from the same issuer you applied for a new card from, or two different lenders?
I'm just say'in©®

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 03:56:39 PM »

+1
They don't need to look at lasts' month report.  It shows the previous months dept/spend ratio together with the other basic info.

I'm looking at my credit report right now. Like you said, it shows "Date Open," "Balance Amount" (last month's balance), "Balance Date," "High/Limit."

Where in there would you be able to see if I spent 90% of my limit 6 months ago?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline 3ZeroT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 06:11:46 PM »
AJK is right.   Again they can only see your high balance but they don't know when that was, or what the credit limit was at THAT time.  As an example here is data in my report for a particular card:

High Balance   $27,065.00      
Limit    $2,500.00

Wow, I maxed my card 10 fold! Serious credit risk!  That high balance occurred when the card's limit was $55k, not even 50% utilization - but the limit from that card was reallocated to a new card decreasing the limit to $2500.  But there is no way to see that on the report.   Credit limits can get reduced or shifted around over time for various reasons.    I have other cards with similar scary looking data.  If you add them all up with no context of time, it might look like a million dollars of revolving debt at 100% utilization.  C'mon.  I've never had a lender even bring this kind of stuff up.   If your report is otherwise sound and they are looking at this kind of stuff, then maybe they are just trying to find a reason to deny you.

Offline creditor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 06:23:21 PM »
AJK is right.   Again they can only see your high balance but they don't know when that was, or what the credit limit was at THAT time.  As an example here is data in my report for a particular card:

Limit    $2,500.00

Wow, I maxed my card 10 fold! Serious credit risk!  That high balance occurred when the card's limit was $55k, not even 50% utilization - but the limit from that card was reallocated to a new card decreasing the limit to $2500.  But there is no way to see that on the report.   Credit limits can get reduced or shifted around over time for various reasons.    I have other cards with similar scary looking data.  If you add them all up with no context of time, it might look like a million dollars of revolving debt at 100% utilization.  C'mon.  I've never had a lender even bring this kind of stuff up.   If your report is otherwise sound and they are looking at this kind of stuff, then maybe they are just trying to find a reason to deny you.
you explained AJK good, although he didn't, but wait a minute, your CR doesn't have the slightest indication that your CL has been changed previously?
I'm just say'in©®

Offline 3ZeroT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 06:32:16 PM »
Nope.  It has (current) Balance and Limit.  Then it has High balance.  It would need a"High Limit" or something to report your highest credit limit to go along with high balance, although even those two numbers may have occurred at different times.

In the end lenders want to know that you are someone who will pay back their debt.  One could argue this is demonstrated by having a big number in the high balance field and a current balance of 0 (and no late payments) on any given account.   If anything it should be a positive.

Offline scwam

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 07:09:43 PM »
My Experian report shows (can't remember which) either the balance on most months or the payment amount. It doesn't show it on all cards/loans for every month, as some months go blank. I remember it being in the format of $626 / 18th / ...

It might been the payment amount because I deliberately brought my Saphire to an exact 11k bal  on a 7k line over 4 months and I think I remember it showed 11,000 (as that was the amount of the actual payment).

I always thought that paying off a high amount over the limit would look good on one's file because of the ability to handle large balances (I know utilization has more effect). But for the history I assumed it would favor. I've opened 4 cards, & 1 personal loan since Feb starting with 0% utilization and now at 2% utilization and much lower average age, but my CK FAKO is slightly higher. Other Fico's remained about the same as Feb.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:19:03 PM by scwam »

Offline creditor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 08:57:45 PM »

Limit    $2,500.00

then how would you explain that?

I'm just say'in©®

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »
Very simply: he's wrong.