Author Topic: HELP!! I was reported negatively to the credit bureau!!  (Read 17828 times)

Offline Fefferkorn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
HELP!! I was reported negatively to the credit bureau!!
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:24:40 AM »
I moved about a year ago and forgot to pay the last Con Edison bill and, without any warning, I recently discovered that a collection agency named "VAN RU CREDIT CORPORATION" (anyone know/has dealt with them?) placed a negative report for a $270 balance on my credit report.

I spoke both with Con edison as well as with VAN RU and they each say that it's the others' responsibility to remove the negative account, does anyone know how this works?!?!

I want the whole thing UPROOTED from my credit report, is that even possible? The guy at the collection agency says that it will NEVER come off the report, but if I pay it will show "positive" instead of "negative", is he lying?

He also told me that if I settle for less than $270, Con Edison will NEVER EVER give me any more service for as long as I live. Is that true?

Can somebody please help me? I have an otherwise IMPECABLE credit report with over 10 years of perfect history, can't let those bastards spoil it! HELP!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:21:14 AM by Fefferkorn »

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!! I was reported negatively to the credit bureau!!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:38:48 AM »
I moved about a year ago and forgot to pay the last Con Edison bill and, without any warning, I recently discovered that a collection agency named "VAN RU CREDIT CORPORATION" (anyone know/has dealt with them?) placed a negative report for a $270 balance on my credit report.

I spoke both with Con edison as well as with VAN RU and they each say that it's the others' responsibility to remove the negative account, does anyone know how this works?!?!

I want the whole thing UPROOTED from my credit report, is that even possible? The guy at the collection agency says that it will NEVER come off the report, but if I pay it will show "positive" instead of "negative", is he lying?

He also told me that if I settle for less than $270, Con Edison will NEVER EVER give me any more service for as long as I live. Is that true?

Can somebody please help me? I have an otherwise IMPECABLE credit report with over 10 years of perfect history, can't let those bastards spoil it! HELP!

Never ever trust a "collections guy" do some homework and read up on the legalities they must work with. I once had some fun with that one when I demanded written proof and the guy started telling me that it could take time etc... I reminded him that its the law.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:39:56 AM »
Just about everything you were told is BS. What you want is PFD (pay for delete). You agree to pay a certain amount with the guarantee the collection will be removed from your credit report. Everything needs to be in writing first because they will lie to you. If you want detailed information your best bet is creditboardsDOTcom.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:41:23 AM »
Never ever trust a "collections guy" do some homework and read up on the legalities they must work with. I once had some fun with that one when I demanded written proof and the guy started telling me that it could take time etc... I reminded him that its the law.
Just about everything you were told is BS. What you want is PFD (pay for delete). You agree to pay a certain amount with the guarantee the collection will be removed from your credit report. Everything needs to be in writing first because they will lie to you. If you want detailed information your best bet is creditboardsDOTcom.
Where can I read up on that for legit sources?
I actually demanded written proof that they will take it away from "negative accounts" and he said it's against the law for them to send me such a letter..
Will I ever get out of this?

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:44:10 AM »
I personally know someone who had a negative mark removed from their credit report by the agency/issuer who put it there.

But in that case, it was a CC company who put it, and then removed it.

Your case is a bit interesting in that it seems ConEd referred/sold your apparently delinquent account to this Credit Company who nailed you in the hopes you'll pay. But IME that agency can remove it.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
I personally know someone who had a negative mark removed from their credit report by the agency/issuer who put it there.

But in that case, it was a CC company who put it, and then removed it.

Your case is a bit interesting in that it seems ConEd referred/sold your apparently delinquent account to this Credit Company who nailed you in the hopes you'll pay. But IME that agency can remove it.

+1
Happened to me. Long story. Details are irrelevant. (Yes, it was before I joined ddf).

Just for data points,  Amex reported account as delinquent.  After much fighting,  Amex deleted the entire account off of my cr.
I learned from that - that anything's possible.

I think I wrote the whole story on here somewhere.  If I find, I'll link.

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 01:14:11 AM »
Will talking to the credit bureaus help to remove it?
I can tell them that I had no warning, and all the mail got lost (pretty much the truth of what happened)...

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 01:19:05 AM »
I will make this simple. Head over to CB and they will give you detailed help. Nothing against DDF but CB is the go to place for this.

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 01:20:26 AM »
I will make this simple. Head over to CB and they will give you detailed help. Nothing against DDF but CB is the go to place for this.
I do thank you for this advice but I've been trying to navigate CB and cannot find any info pertaining to the issue at hand. Care to share the specific link?
Thanks.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 01:30:57 AM »
I don’t post there much anymore. Did you try searching VanRu? The best thing would be to start a thread. They are very noob friendly unlike FWF where they chew noob’s up and spit them out. 

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 01:32:07 AM »
Will talking to the credit bureaus help to remove it?
I can tell them that I had no warning, and all the mail got lost (pretty much the truth of what happened)...

IME speaking to the bureaus does zilch.  They will not remove it. They will tell you to contact the lender that reported it.

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 01:41:38 AM »
IME speaking to the bureaus does zilch.  They will not remove it. They will tell you to contact the lender that reported it.
I cannot dispute it? Saying it was without warning? I was told that it is illegal for someone to report you unless they SPECIFICALLY WARN YOU ABOUT REPORTING YOU beforehand. Could that be?

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 01:52:23 AM »
I cannot dispute it? Saying it was without warning? I was told that it is illegal for someone to report you unless they SPECIFICALLY WARN YOU ABOUT REPORTING YOU beforehand. Could that be?
You can dispute it but it will be verified so dispute will be denied.
Without warning is not a reason.
Who ever told you that they need to warn you first does not know what they are talking about.

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 01:55:53 AM »
You can dispute it but it will be verified so dispute will be denied.
Without warning is not a reason.
Who ever told you that they need to warn you first does not know what they are talking about.
Thanks for your response. So, bottom line, what do I do?

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 01:56:51 AM »
Side question: Although, as I said before, I want this UPROOTED from my credit report, does the small amount of $270 negative cause less damage than bigger amounts owed in regards to credit score or is it the same as owing $1000's?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 01:58:19 AM »
Side question: Although, as I said before, I want this UPROOTED from my credit report, does the small amount of $270 negative cause less damage than bigger amounts owed in regards to credit score or is it the same as owing $1000's?

AFAIK, issuers don't like negatives, period, whatever the amount. It tends to show a character trait banks are wary of.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 01:59:54 AM »
Thanks for your response. So, bottom line, what do I do?
Are you willing to pay the 270?

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 02:11:48 AM »
Are you willing to pay the 270?
Absolutely. I sincerely missed those bills and NEVER miss a payment that I'm aware of.

Offline yossi781

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »
I had this experience with a doctor bill. They sold the debt to as collection agency and killed my wife's credit (it was about 800). I got nowhere with the collection agency so i contacted the doctor. I negotiated the debit and got the doctor to request that the report be removed. The collection agency does not have to do it but since they do business with in your case Con Ed they should remove it if Con Ed requests it.