Topic Wiki

CR ratings:

Ratings key
Infant 22 pound and greater than 22 pounds ratings.
40 pound convertible ratings.
Greater than 40 pound convertible ratings

Local and/or state laws regarding car seats and child restraint systems (booster seats).

New York's Occupant Restraint laws require the following:

• Children up to the age of 4 must be properly restrained in a federally approved child safety seat that is attached to a vehicle by a seat belt or universal child restraint anchorage (LATCH) system.
  • Children less than age 4 but weighing more than 40 poundsmay be restrained in a booster seat with a lap/shoulder safety belt. However, a child safety seat that accommodates higher weights can be used.
  • Children ages 4, 5, 6 and 7 must be properly secured in an appropriate child restraint system, one for which the child meets the height and weight recommendations of the child restraint manufacturer.*
  • An appropriate child restraint system is one that meets the child's size and weight recommended by the manufacturer.
  • A vehicle's safety belt is NOT a child restraint system.
  • Children riding in booster seats must be secured with a combination lap/shoulder seat belt, NEVER secure a child in a booster seat with only a lap belt.
  • From the age of 8 until they reach their 16th birthday, children must be restrained in a seat belt whenever they ride in a vehicle. All Front seat passengers must be properly restrained at all times, regardless of age.
  • Children 12 years and younger should ride in the back seat. By simply buckling up your child in the back seat reduces his/her risk of death by 33%.

*It is recommended that booster seats be used until your child is 4 foot 9 inches tall or weighs 100 pounds.[/li][/list]

New Jersey law going into effect 9/1/2015

Author Topic: Car Seat Master Thread  (Read 96715 times)

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: GREAT convertable carseat deal...
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2012, 12:32:16 AM »
I'm pretty much down to Safety 1st OnSide Air Protect and Graco ComfortSport.
Anybody own any of these two?
The main thing I'm looking for is that it should be as light and compact as possible. Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:40:42 AM by Dan »
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2012, 04:40:46 AM »
Does anyone know about this model - Maxi Cosi Priori 2 people recommended it to me
http://m.albeebaby.com/maxi-cosi-priori-convertible-car-seat-in-corniche.html. Go rather for this model its a 2011 make (mine was made in July 2011) and the color is a really nice black n grey. I liked the seat it's most DEF worth 90$ but u can't compare the quality to the britax marathon seat.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »
http://m.albeebaby.com/maxi-cosi-priori-convertible-car-seat-in-corniche.html. Go rather for this model its a 2011 make (mine was made in July 2011) and the color is a really nice black n grey. I liked the seat it's most DEF worth 90$ but u can't compare the quality to the britax marathon seat.
Thanks. I did come across this one. Can't remember why I eliminated it.. it rates not bad on CR as well.
The only downside is that it weighs 19.5 lbs. as opposed to the Safety 1st (posted right above) it weighs 12 lbs. The Graco ComfortSport (posted right above) the shipping weight is 17.2 lbs. but I saw in some other website that the actual product is just 12 lbs.
Other than that I like the fact that the Maxi-Cosi reclines (front facing as well?) and it looks pretty compact which is also a plus...
Help deciding?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »
Still not wrapping my head around all the different seat options, but this weighs just 11 pounds:

I haven't done the research yet, but why not just get something like this that works for 20-100 pounds once you're done with an infant seat?
www.amazon.com/dp/B004GXA6Y2/?tag=cl03f-20
www.amazon.com/dp/B006PB2CQS/?tag=cl03f-20
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
I have the Maxi Cosi Priori in Corniche - It's really black (linked to above).

It's a great carseat, the fabric washes well, and I am very happy with it and I know a lot of people who have it and are happy.

Many reviews said that the crotch strap was too small (or they thought it looked too small) however many other comments said in reality it's not a problem. Basically, the crotch strap is somewhat short but that's because the other straps are longer and come down to meet it and clip in a lower position than in some other seats.

My son is almost 3 and it will still fit him for a long time. One of the great features is the ability to recline it (only in forward facing). Many of the other car seats out there can only be reclined by stopping the car and taking the child out and reclining it. This can be reclined while the child is in it in one easy motion. Great for when on a trip and your kid is looking sleepy!!!

To weigh in on the earlier discussion of what size infant carseat to get - originally I thought like Dan to get a seat that fits up to 30 pounds to keep the convenience factor in. I then realized like other posters mentioned that with a 28 pound child and the heavier 30 pound carseat, it's pretty inconvenient to lug around so it's much easier to just ditch the 'carrying baby in carseat' mode and just take the kid out.  Once my son was like 18 pounds it was starting to get to heave to lug around with him in it.
Keep in mind that although with a newborn they will stay sleeping while you snap the carseat in and out of the car, with a one year old they will anyways wake up so you don't gain anything by keeping them strapped in when coming into the house.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »
Still not wrapping my head around all the different seat options, but this weighs just 11 pounds:

Convertible?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »
My kid is 22 pounds.  Why is it a lug to snap it out of the car and plop in onto the stroller base? 
It's a huge convenience for us, I'm pretty sure we'll keep using it until the 30 pound capacity.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
@MarkS: Do you have the Maxi-cosi Priori XP or SPS?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2012, 12:24:13 PM »
My kid is 22 pounds.  Why is it a lug to snap it out of the car and plop in onto the stroller base? 
It's a huge convenience for us, I'm pretty sure we'll keep using it until the 30 pound capacity.
When I go shopping in a store I carry the carseat across the parking lot until I find a cart. Going from the house to the car you carry it up or down steps and out to the car.

Your 22 pound kid + 7.5 pound seat = 29.5 pounds (or if you get the one that goes up to 35 pounds it weighs 9.7 pounds!)

Once your kid is 28 pounds you're carrying 35.5 pounds!!

I agree that from car to stroller is not an issue, but from car to shopping cart and into cart and from car to house gets pretty heavy.

Does your kid ever stay sleeping anymore while transfering? (That's one of the main benefits aside from the ability to strap him in indoors and not restrap until you get back home). Also, once a kid starts moving around more they don't want to be confined in that carseat the whole time and prefer siting in the shopping cart or a more expansive stroller.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:06:03 PM by MarkS »

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »
@MarkS: Do you have the Maxi-cosi Priori XP or SPS?
I'm not sure. I have this one. What's the difference between them?

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2012, 12:29:46 PM »
I'm not sure. What's the difference between them?
No clue. I'm also trying to figure that out..

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
When I go shopping in a store I carry the carseat across the parking lot until I find a cart. Going from the house to the car you carry it up or down steps and out to the car.

Your 22 pound kid + 7.5 pound seat = 29.5 pounds (or if you get the one that goes up to 35 pounds it weighs 9.7 pounds!)

Once your kid is 28 pounds you're carrying 35.5 pounds!!

I agree that from car to stroller is not an issue, but from car to shopping cart and into cart and from car to house gets pretty heavy.

Does your kid ever stay sleeping anymore while transfering? (That's one of the main benefits aside from the ability to strap him in indoors and not restrap until you get back home). Also, once a git starts moving around more they don't want to be confined in that carseat the whole time and prefer siting in the shopping cart or a more expansive stroller.
Yup, Rafi does stay sleeping, when being transferred. We don't have any steps coming in through the front door or from the garage to go into our house.  In the store it's with a store basket underneath the UB.
Granted without those factors the equation does change.

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2012, 01:28:40 PM »
My kid is 19 lbs. My wife cant carry her in the car seat.  ;) Even though its not a big deal to snap in in the stroller base, but to carry the kid from the house is a pain.

@MarkS - thanx for your input on the Maxi Cosi, I am leaning a lot towards that one. I want the feature that it could recline, on long trips (to Cleve) it gotta be comfortable for my kid

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »
My kid is 19 lbs. My wife cant carry her in the car seat.  ;) Even though its not a big deal to snap in in the stroller base, but to carry the kid from the house is a pain.

@MarkS - thanx for your input on the Maxi Cosi, I am leaning a lot towards that one. I want the feature that it could recline, on long trips (to Cleve) it gotta be comfortable for my kid
I'm pretty sure my wife may be stronger than me now with all the 30 pound lifting she does.  Honestly though she swears by it.

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »
My son is 30 lbs now. He's like a log. And still insists I carry him sometimes..... I must be very strong by now I sometimes don't even realize I'm lugging him around.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »
What's wrong with buying this one made in 2010?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »
What's wrong with buying this one made in 2010?
Umm, 1 year older and $20 more expensive doesn't do it?

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2012, 07:46:56 PM »
Umm, 1 year older and $20 more expensive doesn't do it?
Nicer..
Although I just realized the difference between XP and SPS and probably won't go for it anyways..

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2012, 07:50:10 PM »
Nicer..
Although I just realized the difference between XP and SPS and probably won't go for it anyways..
what is the diff... and at the time when i bought the carseat the 2010 model was much more money.. they all went down in price since. i would have prob tried out the 2010 model- it can also be its made in 2011 like the cornice model-which btw their all confused as to which year the style came out.. some say in 2008.. no idea. anyhow i would order all and return if thats an option and than u can see what ur gettin...

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »
what is the diff...
The XP has a belt tensioner to ensure extremely secure installation. ($200+)
The SPS (the one you suggested) doesn't.
I still like the fact that the SPS reclines but now that I found out that it doesn't have the tensioner, I'm not that excited about it anymore, Also due to the fact that it weighs 19.5 lbs..
I DID find you that the Graco ComfortSport weighs about 12 lbs., same as Safety 1st OnSide Air so now they are really head-to-head.
The Safety 1st is 65 on CR as opposed to the Graco 59. On http://www.cheapism.com the Safety 1st has a gold medal as opposed to the Graco which got a silver. On Amazon the Safety 1st has 4 1/2 stars as opposed to the Graco which has only 4 stars.
OTOH, the Safety 1st looks a bit outdated, out of style? Or is it just my impression? (that's an important factor for my wife  ;) )...
Help deciding? Is it out of style?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:28:14 PM by txtmax4 »