Author Topic: I'm 20 years old, and would like to start churning credit cards, how do i start?  (Read 18623 times)

Offline rm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Would there be a card that would be a better choice than my united?

Offline Charles The Govenor

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
Wow I'm suprise no one has said continental yet even though I prefer united.

Danfantoyota

[/quote]
well for starters if you are given say a $1500 limit then thats all you can charge till its paid off. Personally I never suggest a person 1st starting out to constantly prepay the CC off.(This means charging and then paying what you owe off so you can charge some more, oddly they dont like when this happens, and it tells them all you are interested in is getting the pts or whatever).

as for the Coins, just as posted, no one can order them or if you can they arent presently shipping any and maybe wont do so again at least in the way it was done till now. I have $3500 on back-order for weeks and I doubt Id ever get them.Its anyones guess as to what will be, maybe they will start up again but as before only 2 boxes and not unlimited amounts, then they might charge for the shipping which was free till now, they might change how they code the transactions so that it wont go thru as a Purchase. Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply Guessing

Im sorry to tell ya pretty much the Party is over, till the next item comes along. Thats why to me the 2k for the BA CC I will simply buy some Gift Cards that I will use during the year and that comes with a 10% discount. So although Im lying out the $$ as long as I use them up before the end of '10 it would be worthwhile as Im saving 10%

so basically your saying that there is no point in me trying to churn because my credit isnt built up yet, and becuase the coin thingy is over??
isnt there another way to buy things to get the miles besides coins??

i would be soo sad if i could'nt churn, because i just read dans post in which he churned so many AA miles that he became a lifetime member. i'm not saying i want all that, but i just want to get a free ticket to israel for pesach... and i only have like 20,000 miles saved up

:-[  :'(

even if my credit score is 744 i would only get a 1500 dollar limit per month?

Danfantoyota

Wow I'm suprise no one has said continental yet even though I prefer united.

what do you mean?

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

so basically your saying that there is no point in me trying to churn because my credit isnt built up yet, and becuase the coin thingy is over??
isnt there another way to buy things to get the miles besides coins??

i would be soo sad if i could'nt churn, because i just read dans post in which he churned so many AA miles that he became a lifetime member. i'm not saying i want all that, but i just want to get a free ticket to israel for pesach... and i only have like 20,000 miles saved up

:-[  :'(

even if my credit score is 744 i would only get a 1500 dollar limit per month?

wasnt saying that at all.

1- what I tried to tell you is the samething I told a number of people over Shabbos. If the only way they would charge things is via buying the coins then they arrived to the party after the party was over. In a couple of the cases they were turned down for various CCs and dont really have much that they charge per month a couple of hundred, so they were out of luck.

If say you get approved for the Chase BA CC, they give you 93 days from the day you were accepted and not that you 1st used your CC to spend $2k. So lets say they give you only a $500 limit, then youd have to prepay it in order to spend the 2k. Now what if your total expensives any given month is $200 well then over the 93 days that comes to say $500 so youd have to find a way to spend the other $1500. With the coins a person could have made a single purchase of say $2k and been done with the min requirement 1-2-3. The deal with the coins was you never really purchased anything. all we did was charge some money onto our CCs and deposited the coins (money) to the bank and then paid off the CC , so if handled properly you never laid out a single cent yet spent 10s of 1000s or better put 100s of 1000s.

Now w/o the coins a person needs to charge things and then pay for them so they need to have the available cash flow. Personally I dont spend that much per month, so thats why for me Id get the gift cards for a Hotel program I will spend the $$$ at any way during the year, only I will basically be lending that Hotel company $2k in advance. Lets say the company is Motel6 (its not) well if you wont be spending normally $2k at Motel6 per year it doesnt pay for you to get the Gift cards

Now if you usually spend lets say $3000 every month on things then you wont have any problems. I didnt want to ask you what do you spend every month, its none of my Biz!

Now that aside, as for a free tkt to Israel for Pesach Good Luck, unless you are willing to either leave say a week or so before Yom Tov an dcome back either a week or so after or during Hol haMoed. The other option is to pay 2-3x the amount of miles and go on a Rule Buster. eg CO is 75 for coach Saver Pass, or 140k EasyPass which even at that amount isnt always offered to non-Plats, Biz is 115k saver & 300k EasyPass. So if you have no miles then basically you need to spend $75k by say the end of Dec to even have a chance at getting a free tkt for this upcoming Pesach, since you wont have the miles into your acct till sometime in Jan and Pesach is the end of Matrch this yr, if I was you I wouldnt be counting on it, Sorry to inform You.

Now if you have the means to buy $75k worth of stuff and can get a 2% rebate CC youd be better off as thats $1500 coming back to you and then you might be able to purchasea tkt via Europe to Israel for that amount or a couple of 100 more.But then again youd need to spend $75k

3- Credit scores are only 1 part of the mix, your age and what you do and how long you have had a CC or a loan are also a part of the mix. I make up the amount of my yearly income and dont get called on it due to my age, if you put down the same amount they would ask you to send in proff. I have a # of companies that Ive used on my apps and only once was I called on it, I just ignored it and a few months later reapplied using a diffrent company name and Bingo they approved me right then and there online. Go figure.

So Churning has nothing to do with the Coins, the Coins was simply a very easy way to get the min that they required spent to be spent 1-2-3. If you charge say $1k a month on things anyway w/o the Coins, then you should be AOK. If not then you shouldnt apply for too many CCs at once. Last week I received 3 new CCs, gave 1 to a friend who owed me some $$$ and hes using that, the 2nd one, Im using and pushed off paying for some things till I got it and basically am done with that min, leaving me now with the BA CC to cover and a new Citi on its way to me. Planning is important, if you dont usuaully charge a ton every month
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:39:50 PM by steve2 »

Offline Charles The Govenor

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
Everyone on this forum likes co better....

Offline steve2

• View Profile
Everyone on this forum likes co better....

I wouldnt say Everyone, although Ive been a CO Plat the past 6= yrs, and only started with UA this past yr (and made 1k), in '10 I will go after 1k with UA before going after Plat with CO. they both have their good Points, its just I feel UA is much better then CO.

Now if a person usually buys the more expensive Coach tkts where they can get confirmed in 1st at time of purchase due to being an Elite then CO may pay , otherwise I wouldnt count on too mnay free UPs once UA people can get the UPs on CO and vice versa. But surely being Silver is Worthless or almost so, and Gold is only slightly better then Silver. The key is a person has to fly enough to make it to the top level or else Id say fly Jet Blue if they fly into where ever you are based

Danfantoyota

omg!!!!! help!!
i just applied for a citi AAadvantage card with a 25,000 mile bonus and i was DENIED!!
they said:
"
Why we're writing you
 Thank you for applying for the Citi(R) Platinum Select(R) /
 AAdvantage(R) World MasterCard(R) account.  Unfortunately, we
 are unable to approve your request for the account at this
 time because of the following:

o   Too few satisfactory credit references were recorded on
 your credit bureau report."

im terrified, and i dont know what this means!!

i never really apply for cards, but i figured just this one i would try for now

:(

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Take a deep breath, it justmeans you don't have a long enough credit history to start playing the game yet.

There's nothing inherently bad about getting denied-denials aren't a category on a credit report.

Start slowly like with a GAP or other store card, pay it back consistantly and work your up from there.
Or get a parent to add you to their accounts which are in good standing.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
omg!!!!! help!!
i just applied for a citi AAadvantage card with a 25,000 mile bonus and i was DENIED!!
they said:
"
Why we're writing you
 Thank you for applying for the Citi(R) Platinum Select(R) /
 AAdvantage(R) World MasterCard(R) account.  Unfortunately, we
 are unable to approve your request for the account at this
 time because of the following:

o   Too few satisfactory credit references were recorded on
 your credit bureau report."

im terrified, and i dont know what this means!!

i never really apply for cards, but i figured just this one i would try for now

Chill my friend, and welcome to CCs in 2009/2010

All that means is Citi went (like they do with every person who applys) and pulled a copy of your credit history and saw Nothing on it , OK the 2 cards you said you had. And said they wanted no part of you. Now you didnt post what you said you did for a living, how much you made, how long youve been working etc etc.

the Banks are afraid of giving a person even a $1000 limit if they dont think they will get paid.

You could always try and open a checking and savings acct with Citi, and ask when doing so if you can get a Secure AA CC. what that means is you will deposit $$$ into an acct that You cant touch and it turn Citi will give you a CC with a limit almost up to that amount. They arent too worried if  when the bill comes due cause if you dont pay they simply will close the CC down and take what ever amount is owed out from the acct, remember you wont beable to withdraw any of teh money you put in that way Citi is able to sleep at night knowing you cant pull out of town w/o paying your bills. But even today at time sthe banks dont want to get into these types of things or if they sre willing it wont be with an affinity CC such as the AA CCs, but will do it with a simple Visa or MC that may not have any benefits but at least its a start.

Danfantoyota

Chill my friend, and welcome to CCs in 2009/2010

All that means is Citi went (like they do with every person who applys) and pulled a copy of your credit history and saw Nothing on it , OK the 2 cards you said you had. And said they wanted no part of you. Now you didnt post what you said you did for a living, how much you made, how long youve been working etc etc.

the Banks are afraid of giving a person even a $1000 limit if they dont think they will get paid.

You could always try and open a checking and savings acct with Citi, and ask when doing so if you can get a Secure AA CC. what that means is you will deposit $$$ into an acct that You cant touch and it turn Citi will give you a CC with a limit almost up to that amount. They arent too worried if  when the bill comes due cause if you dont pay they simply will close the CC down and take what ever amount is owed out from the acct, remember you wont beable to withdraw any of teh money you put in that way Citi is able to sleep at night knowing you cant pull out of town w/o paying your bills. But even today at time sthe banks dont want to get into these types of things or if they sre willing it wont be with an affinity CC such as the AA CCs, but will do it with a simple Visa or MC that may not have any benefits but at least its a start.

oh thank you for answering!!!
i feel much better now b/c i realize that i only have two chase cc's open 1)the freedom cashback one 2) the chase college one that i lost a while ago, and thats wats causing this denial
phew i feel so much better, and now i will go ahead and open a old navy credit card or something, and start building from there.
how long after i apply for it do you think i can get approved for an AA citi card? any ideas??

thank you steve and dan i really really appreciate your help

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
1) if you have 1-2 cards already i don't see why you should need old navy, just start churning already
2) for the BA card you should be able to hit $2K using statefarm gift cards...

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
1) if you have 1-2 cards already i don't see why you should need old navy, just start churning already
well as u see he got declined for the 1st card so how should he churn he's got to build up the credit

Offline steve2

• View Profile
oh thank you for answering!!!
i feel much better now b/c i realize that i only have two chase cc's open 1)the freedom cashback one 2) the chase college one that i lost a while ago, and thats wats causing this denial
phew i feel so much better, and now i will go ahead and open a old navy credit card or something, and start building from there.
how long after i apply for it do you think i can get approved for an AA citi card? any ideas??

thank you steve and dan i really really appreciate your help

I dont think you were denied due to the colege CC missing, I think you were denied due to not having used it (maybe thats what you meant). Also the Freedom card how much did you charge per month? (dont answer) if not alot thats another why. How much did you put down you earned (if not in teh mid 5 figures another reason< just dont put down 55k cause at your age they ask that you submit your pay stubs and when they dont get them no CC

I think an Old Navy Cc if you shop there or a Kohls CC if you shop there , a store card is only good at that store can help but you really need a reg Visa or MC and tp use it for everything and spend say over $1000 a month and pay it off over say 6+ months so they cans ee you arent a risk

Offline kingkool

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Just to give you an idea:

I'm 23, I have had a mastercard from capitalone for about 3 years with a $2000 limit. Usually spend about $600/mo, pay it off in full, and make about $25K/year. I also have internet/phone under my name. Nothing else on credit (no car, mortgages, loans, etc).  In the past 6 months I started caring about points because I need a ticket to south america so I started reading these threads. In the past 6 mos I have been approved for: SPG AMEX (2000$ limit), Chase Freedom MC (6,000$ limit), and Chase BA Visa (3,000$ limit, I am just going to spend 2K then merge it with the other chase freedom MC).

Just pay off your card for a couple years and have a telephone account on your name. You dont need to spend a lot (as you can see from me) or do anything else crazy.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
Just to give you an idea:

I'm 23, I have had a mastercard from capitalone for about 3 years with a $2000 limit. Usually spend about $600/mo, pay it off in full, and make about $25K/year. I also have internet/phone under my name. Nothing else on credit (no car, mortgages, loans, etc).  In the past 6 months I started caring about points because I need a ticket to south america so I started reading these threads. In the past 6 mos I have been approved for: SPG AMEX (2000$ limit), Chase Freedom MC (6,000$ limit), and Chase BA Visa (3,000$ limit, I am just going to spend 2K then merge it with the other chase freedom MC).

Just pay off your card for a couple years and have a telephone account on your name. You dont need to spend a lot (as you can see from me) or do anything else crazy.

You are assuming some things that might not be true. Could be DFT earns less then you or doesnt even work. spends alot less then you and not always at places that take a CC. Put down student and $0 as their income, not too many CCs will want a part of that

But youre 100% correct in advising them to start slowly and to build their Credit up. Rome wasnt built in a day, although I walked most of it in a day last week.

I dont know too many people that earned $100k for their very 1st job, but after a number of yrs do now

a person cant get up a flight of stairs until they at least pick up their feet and step up to the 1st step

Offline rm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Can some1 explain what churning is? Also, right now I have a united business card with a 10k limit but I dnt want to cont paying the annual fee but I also don't want to lose my credit limit. Any suggest?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
Can some1 explain what churning is? Also, right now I have a united business card with a 10k limit but I dnt want to cont paying the annual fee but I also don't want to lose my credit limit. Any suggest?

Churning is basically cancelling a CC you have and then reapplying for the same CC again in order to get the bonus again, obviously if you pay the fee and dont cancel you cant reapply and get the Bonus Welcome Miles /Pts. You dont cancel and then reapply later taht day but usually wait say 30+ days, depending on which CC you are playing with.

As for switching its alot harder today then it was last yr. Chase doesnt allow a transfer if you are trying to get out of paying the 1st annual fee, in the past it wasnt a problem. Could be if you say switch from a UA CC to a Freedom CC or any non Affinity CC they will do it.Call and ask teh worst thing is they will say No. Then wait a few mins and call back and ask agian

Danfantoyota

You are assuming some things that might not be true. Could be DFT earns less then you or doesnt even work. spends alot less then you and not always at places that take a CC. Put down student and $0 as their income, not too many CCs will want a part of that

But youre 100% correct in advising them to start slowly and to build their Credit up. Rome wasnt built in a day, although I walked most of it in a day last week.

I dont know too many people that earned $100k for their very 1st job, but after a number of yrs do now

a person cant get up a flight of stairs until they at least pick up their feet and step up to the 1st step

y'know the weirdest thing is that after being denied credit at citi, today i just an offer for 50,000 american miles if i open a bank acccount and credit card at citi...

its a shame they wont offer me credit

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
Churning is basically cancelling a CC you have and then reapplying for the same CC again in order to
y do u have to cancel first y not apply then join both