Pbaruch's Motorhome Adventures in Utah and Arizona
ShlockDoc's Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming
VacationLover's Sedona and the Grand Canyon TR
drewsky9's Arizona Trip Report

Activities

Phoenix

Lucky Strike Lanes
Octance Raceway- Extremely fast Go-Karting
Nordstrom Last Chance - Only one in the world. Amazing deals and great finds! (Close to Segal's)
Phoenix Coyotes
Arizona Diamondbacks
Phoenix Suns
Bearizona
Encanto Park

Grand Canyon
South Kaibab Trail- One of the top rated trails for the GC
Skywalk
Grand Canyon National Park Lodges

Tucson
Saguaro National Park

Restaurants

Phoenix

King Solomon's Pizza - Great food, try the zeplins! Menu Address closed
Segal's Oasis Grill- Best ribs I've ever had! Menu Address
Samarkand Restaurant Map
LaBella Pizzeria and Restaurant- excellent food! http://www.labellapizzeriaandrestaurant.com
phenomenal pizza @ great prices... pizza and dairy 8/10... sushi 6/10
Milk & honey @JCC great food but not cholov yisroel
Zabari Grill - Israeli (Shwarma/falafel) clean pleace for AZ... food 6/10   [/size]http://zabarigrill.c[/color][/size]om/
613 Grill

[/size]Scottsdale
Kitchen 18

Groceries[/color]

Segal's One Stop Kosher Foods Map
Imperial Market & Deli Map

[/size]Shuls[/i]

Ohr Hatorah Congregation- Located in Phoenix Map
Chabad Jewish Center of North Phoenix Map
Ahavas Torah:The Scottsdale Torah Center Map

yuneeq's Maps

Activities, Restaurants, Shuls, and some other stuff in Phoenix
http://goo.gl/maps/OFL8z
Full day trip from Phoenix to Grand Canyon with a stop off at Sedona
http://goo.gl/maps/qy0hy

Going to AZ in the summer? Trying to beat the heat? Pack a sweater. Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon and most of Utah are usually in the 40s at night, even in August!

Other & More Info Click Here

Author Topic: Arizona Master Thread  (Read 94241 times)

Offline DXD

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Master Thread
« Reply #825 on: January 01, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »
Any suggestions on where to spend shabbos in AZ? Preferably in the PHX area.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 02, 2018, 11:38:50 PM »
Is the end of January a decent time to travel to the Grand Canyon and Phoenix areas? Is the weather okay then?? Thanks!

Offline gubevo18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 03, 2018, 12:30:31 AM »
Is the end of January a decent time to travel to the Grand Canyon and Phoenix areas? Is the weather okay then?? Thanks!
grand canyon will be quite cool and phoenix can be very nice then but not always guaranteed. I went last year that time and the weather was beautiful. The week before I was there, I was told, was "frigid" ( on PHX standards of course).

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 03, 2018, 02:20:18 PM »
grand canyon will be quite cool and phoenix can be very nice then but not always guaranteed. I went last year that time and the weather was beautiful. The week before I was there, I was told, was "frigid" ( on PHX standards of course).

Thank you!

Offline MosheP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 25, 2018, 09:34:58 PM »
I'll be at the Grand Canyon with the family next week. We have several young children, so hiking is out. We're traveling in from Flagstaff for a day trip. Can anyone recommend a route, listing the various places we should stop and have great views? Is the glass Skywalk worth the visit? Anything else we should do in the area?

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #830 on: January 28, 2018, 03:41:29 AM »
Any suggestions on where to spend shabbos in AZ? Preferably in the PHX area.
kierland villas is about a 45 minute nice walk to shul, but they have kitchens etc and are pretty good value.

I'll be at the Grand Canyon with the family next week. We have several young children, so hiking is out. We're traveling in from Flagstaff for a day trip. Can anyone recommend a route, listing the various places we should stop and have great views? Is the glass Skywalk worth the visit? Anything else we should do in the area?
with young kids we really did basic main entrance area and a walk down to ice cream, took the train from flagstaff and back which the kids really enjoyed (and was easier for parking etc).

Offline miles lover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 28, 2018, 10:52:55 AM »
What are the options for Hotels in Phoenix, Scottsdale or anywhere close by ? Any good values for points bookings ?

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 29, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »

How old are your kids? Definitely hit the south rim grand canyon visitor's center and look at the view points (Mathis Point). If your kids are at least 4, they can do the junior ranger program and get a badge. There's also the Yavapai geology museum (nothing special, but it's a great spot for indoor viewing) and you can walk the rim trail (it's a paved path). You can also stop at the El Tovar and look at the beautfiul historic hotel.  I can't comment on the skywalk. You can walk a little into the canyon on the bright angel trail and then come back up. I took my 8 and 9 year olds this week and my younger kids totally could have done it.

In the Flagstaff area, there is a ton of things to do. We went to Sunset Crater National Park (and walked through lava fields), Wupatki National Park (saw pueblos), Meteor Crater, stopped at the corner in Winslow Arizona, went to Homolovi State Park....we wanted to get to the Painted Desert but didn't have time.  All the parks out there have plenty of room for kids to roam free.

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 29, 2018, 08:09:44 AM »
I just came back from a vacation in Arizona and here are some of my comments:

Tucson: We spent a lot of time at Old Tucson. My kids loved it - it's an old studio for western movies and they have live performances all day long.  We also love Saguaro National Park .

Phoenix: Hole in the Rock is a really fun, quick hike with a great view.  The Desert Botanical Gardens is pricey and only ok. We also went to Pueblo Grande Museum which is small but a nice stop to learn a bit about Pueblos.

Sedona:
Pink Jeep Tours live up to their hype and price.
Palataki Ruins - great place to see cliff dwellings/cave drawings but you need a reservation during popular times

Flagstaff:

There's a new Residence Inn in Flagstaff that was a great place to stay. The staff was super friendly and accommodating, they had plenty of kosher breakfast options and the rooms are spacious. The prices were ridiculously cheap too ($88-93/night) for a double queen with pull out couch and kitchen (no oven, just convection microwave  and fridge). The pull out couch is small so if you want 6 people in your room, make sure they are small kids.

There are so many things to do in the area besides the Grand Canyon. Here's what we did:

See the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook
Homolovi State Park - walk to a pueblo ruin and hunt for pottery shards. You can walk anywhere in the structure but you can't take pottery. My kids had a blast digging around in the ruins. It's really peaceful and quiet.
Winslow Arizona - stand at the corner, see La Posada
Meteor Crater - it's a little expensive, but really interesting to see the huge crater formed by a meteor.
Sunset Crater National Park - you can hike (or drive) through lava fields from an old volcano. It was really unexpected!
Wupatki National park - lots of Pueblo ruins to see including ball courts. These are really accessible and don't require hiking if that's not your thing.
Lowell Observatory - great place, lots of interesting lectures and information on space. The best programs are in the evening. There really isn't anything for younger kids though. They have a really cheap family membership ($70 for 2 adults/4 kids)  which can be used at many other science centers.
Montezuman's Well - we stopped here on the way back to Phoenix. It was a nice stop - cliff dwellings with a watering hole. It's right off the highway too.

Offline rileywiles23

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 06, 2018, 12:18:55 PM »
Is it worth it to go to arizona if I wont be able to due major hiking ?
What would be the best way to plan our route if we are arriving thursday and leaving the following tuesday night ?
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 07, 2018, 06:48:40 AM »
Is it worth it to go to arizona if I wont be able to due major hiking ?
What would be the best way to plan our route if we are arriving thursday and leaving the following tuesday night ?

Yes. There is a ton to do if you can't hike. What do you like to do?

Offline upside down

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 12, 2018, 08:28:13 PM »
Looking for a recommendation for a SPG hotel to go to for 3-4 days in March. Going Just me and wife, no kids. Just looking to relax and nothing else. preferably a place with a nice pool and a place that we can basically stay on premises most of the time and chill. Also would be a big plus if near some kosher food and a shul.
Phoenician good? Canyon suites?
Any other good ones?

Offline SerV

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 12, 2018, 10:13:03 PM »
Looking for a recommendation for a SPG hotel to go to for 3-4 days in March. Going Just me and wife, no kids. Just looking to relax and nothing else. preferably a place with a nice pool and a place that we can basically stay on premises most of the time and chill. Also would be a big plus if near some kosher food and a shul.
Any other good ones?
Stayed at the canyon suites summer '17, had an amazing time, perfect place just to relax... Relatively close to kosher food.
If you have any questions pm me

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 14, 2018, 12:35:47 AM »
Any other good ones?

Westin Kierkand Villas are great for chilling and relaxing (that is basically all we do when we go to AZ) and close to the Scottsdale shul and restaurants. :)

Offline gubevo18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 14, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
Westin Kierkand Villas are great for chilling and relaxing (that is basically all we do when we go to AZ) and close to the Scottsdale shul and restaurants. :)
+1 stayed there twice and was very happy both times.