Topic Wiki

Southwest Companion Pass.

What is it:

The SW CP is arguably the most valuable airline perk available today. It allows you to bring a companion with you for free on any Southwest flight, regardless of whether you are on a revenue or award ticket. All you pay are the government taxes on the ticket. The pass works for all Southwest flights, including international flights. The pass also works on Airtran flights that are sold on Southwest.com. Airtran flights that are not sold on Southwest.com are not eligible.
Like all other Southwest award bookings, the CP is not subject to any capacity controls, and as long as there is still a seat for sale on a particular flight, it is yours.
The pass is valid for the year it is earned in and the entire next calendar year. If you earned your CP in July 2014, your pass will be valid for the remainder of 2014 and the entirety of 2015.

How to get it:

The SW CP is obtained by earning 125,000 Southwest points in one calendar year. For example, if you earned 8k points by flying at the beginning of 2014, you need to earn another 117k points throughout the rest of 2014 in order to qualify for CP. Once 2015 rolls around, the points you've earned in 2014 no longer qualify for earning your CP, although they will still be redeemable points.

The primary method of accumulating Southwest points is CC signup bonuses. The Southwest CC frequently offers 50k point signup bonuses on all 4 flavors of Southwest cards and signup bonuses count towards earning the CP. Get approved for 2 of these cards, meet the 2k spending requirement on each and you are only 21k points away from the CP.

All points earned through the Rapid Rewards shopping mall also count towards SW CP eligibility.
Points transferred from Hyatt, Club Carlson, Marriott, and Wyndham all count towards CP status.
Points transferred from Ultimate Rewards do not count towards CP, although you can transfer can transfer 50K Ultimate Rewards points into 50K Hyatt and 50K Hyatt transfers into 30K Southwest.

Points earned by crediting hotel stays and car rentals to Southwest also count towards CP.

Using the CP:

Using your CP is very simple. Once you book a flight on Southwest, an "Add a companion" button will appear under your reservation. Just fill out the info and pay the taxes and you are done.
It is best to add your companion right when you book your own flight as there have been instances where people have forgotten to add their companion, the flight subsequently sold out and they were not able to add their companion. One thing to keep in mind is that online changes with a companion booked are not possible, you need to cancel the companion, wait 10-15 min, make the change and then add the companion again. You can make the necessary changes over the phone though.
You can change your companion up to 3 times during the life of your CP. (I believe you can change it 3 times per calendar year.)

« Last edited by pointer on January 23, 2020, 03:35:55 PM »

Author Topic: Southwest Companion Pass Master Thread  (Read 316342 times)

Offline HahuGavrah

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Southwest Companion Pass Master Thread
« Reply #1320 on: November 21, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »
I was approved for my SW card in October and I want to be sure that I don't get the bonus until after Jan by not completing the spend threshold. 

Well my dw  :( used my SW card to make a big purchase this month $800 which threw me over the top of the required spend. I was concerned that my bonus points will post in 2017. So I went back to the store and they agreed to credit the $800 on this card and charged a different card instead. Both the charge and the $800 credit were done within the same statement period.

Am I safe to assume that the bonus will not post and I can still aim to get the bonus in 2018?

Big trouble now. Help please! Chase didn't claw back the awarded points on a purchase even though I returned the merchandise within the same statement period. Now I am done with the spend threshold and they awarded my points in 2017. I called Chase but they said nothing to do and I should call SW Rapid Rewards. Doesn't sound too good....
Aaaaargh! Any ideas what I can do?

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: November 21, 2017, 03:26:41 PM »
Big trouble now. Help please! Chase didn't claw back the awarded points on a purchase even though I returned the merchandise within the same statement period. Now I am done with the spend threshold and they awarded my points in 2017. I called Chase but they said nothing to do and I should call SW Rapid Rewards. Doesn't sound too good....
Aaaaargh! Any ideas what I can do?
What did they say when you told them you returned the item? If/when they claw back, you can try calling SW and see if someone wants to be nice and undo what was already done, if that's even possible.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline HahuGavrah

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: November 21, 2017, 07:46:25 PM »
What did they say when you told them you returned the item? If/when they claw back, you can try calling SW and see if someone wants to be nice and undo what was already done, if that's even possible.
They said that it automatically posts and they have no control. Do you think they'll claw it back? Maybe before the Dec statement close date?

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: November 21, 2017, 07:47:54 PM »
They said that it automatically posts and they have no control. Do you think they'll claw it back? Maybe before the Dec statement close date?
They have a pretty good track record of clawing back,but you never know. Does your SW account already show that you've earned CP?

Offline HahuGavrah

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: November 21, 2017, 07:50:00 PM »
No, it didn't show up yet but it shows on my statement. I wonder if there's anything to do now, before it actually posts, that I won't be able to do later.

Offline keemster26

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: November 21, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »
No, it didn't show up yet but it shows on my statement. I wonder if there's anything to do now, before it actually posts, that I won't be able to do later.
It shows as pending or it actually posted?

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: November 21, 2017, 07:52:04 PM »
HUCA with chase. They may have to post the points, before they can claw them back. Do your best to make sure you don't get the miles credited.

Offline HahuGavrah

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: November 21, 2017, 07:54:30 PM »
It shows as pending or it actually posted?
Posted and transferred to SW  :(

Offline PillanSmye

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: November 22, 2017, 08:13:54 PM »
update. I finally got it. It took about 2.5 weeks after making the first purchase.

Looking to see if there are any more datapoints about CA residents and the CP issuance.

I made my first purchase several days ago, but my first statement is showing that it will cut until late Dec.  Hoping the spend date is the trigger and not the statement date.

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: November 23, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »
Also I applied with the CA resident CP offer but nothing was stated anywhere in my mail packet.

Offline keemster26

• View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: December 24, 2017, 10:47:25 AM »
Just double checking. If my December statement closed, is it safe to finish spending for bonus? Or should I finish spending in January?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1331 on: December 24, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »
Safe.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline jd399

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: December 25, 2017, 12:16:54 PM »
I know you can change companion 3 times a year. How about changing your profile name under your SW account number??? Can i call and switch back and forth between me and wife depending who is flying with a child who is on a companion ticket??? So basically you or wife can buy a ticket and be with companion person.. Or when you get companion only person X whose name is on the account you were awarded companion can use it????
TIA

Offline keemster26

• View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: December 25, 2017, 12:41:36 PM »

Offline jd399

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: December 31, 2017, 03:01:37 AM »
Anyone know if you can do this?
I know you can change companion 3 times a year. How about changing your profile name under your SW account number??? Can i call and switch back and forth between me and wife depending who is flying with a child who is on a companion ticket??? So basically you or wife can buy a ticket and be with companion person.. Or when you get companion only person X whose name is on the account you were awarded companion can use it????
TIA

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: December 31, 2017, 03:12:04 AM »
Anyone know if you can do this?
I don't believe you can.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1336 on: December 31, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »
TIA
100% not.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline KenZein

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: February 19, 2018, 10:23:44 PM »
I have the companion pass, and booked a companion for a flight taking place in a few days. The website says, "The Member and his/her Companion must check in together and present the Companion Pass in order to travel." Will that be mailed to us? If yes, it most likely won't get to us in time. Is this a problem?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: February 19, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »
I have the companion pass, and booked a companion for a flight taking place in a few days. The website says, "The Member and his/her Companion must check in together and present the Companion Pass in order to travel." Will that be mailed to us? If yes, it most likely won't get to us in time. Is this a problem?
I have never been asked to show my companion pass. Yes, it does get mailed to you at some point.

Offline keemster26

• View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: February 19, 2018, 10:28:07 PM »
You don't need the card. Unless this rule is new