Topic Wiki

Southwest Companion Pass.

What is it:

The SW CP is arguably the most valuable airline perk available today. It allows you to bring a companion with you for free on any Southwest flight, regardless of whether you are on a revenue or award ticket. All you pay are the government taxes on the ticket. The pass works for all Southwest flights, including international flights. The pass also works on Airtran flights that are sold on Southwest.com. Airtran flights that are not sold on Southwest.com are not eligible.
Like all other Southwest award bookings, the CP is not subject to any capacity controls, and as long as there is still a seat for sale on a particular flight, it is yours.
The pass is valid for the year it is earned in and the entire next calendar year. If you earned your CP in July 2014, your pass will be valid for the remainder of 2014 and the entirety of 2015.

How to get it:

The SW CP is obtained by earning 125,000 Southwest points in one calendar year. For example, if you earned 8k points by flying at the beginning of 2014, you need to earn another 117k points throughout the rest of 2014 in order to qualify for CP. Once 2015 rolls around, the points you've earned in 2014 no longer qualify for earning your CP, although they will still be redeemable points.

The primary method of accumulating Southwest points is CC signup bonuses. The Southwest CC frequently offers 50k point signup bonuses on all 4 flavors of Southwest cards and signup bonuses count towards earning the CP. Get approved for 2 of these cards, meet the 2k spending requirement on each and you are only 21k points away from the CP.

All points earned through the Rapid Rewards shopping mall also count towards SW CP eligibility.
Points transferred from Hyatt, Club Carlson, Marriott, and Wyndham all count towards CP status.
Points transferred from Ultimate Rewards do not count towards CP, although you can transfer can transfer 50K Ultimate Rewards points into 50K Hyatt and 50K Hyatt transfers into 30K Southwest.

Points earned by crediting hotel stays and car rentals to Southwest also count towards CP.

Using the CP:

Using your CP is very simple. Once you book a flight on Southwest, an "Add a companion" button will appear under your reservation. Just fill out the info and pay the taxes and you are done.
It is best to add your companion right when you book your own flight as there have been instances where people have forgotten to add their companion, the flight subsequently sold out and they were not able to add their companion. One thing to keep in mind is that online changes with a companion booked are not possible, you need to cancel the companion, wait 10-15 min, make the change and then add the companion again. You can make the necessary changes over the phone though.
You can change your companion up to 3 times during the life of your CP. (I believe you can change it 3 times per calendar year.)

« Last edited by pointer on January 23, 2020, 03:35:55 PM »

Author Topic: Southwest Companion Pass Master Thread  (Read 316284 times)

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Southwest year long companion pass
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »
i think i gave u all the info u need

looks like if u transfer 45k to southw u get 21,600 sw miles ---

If you convert: 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points you will receive:
2,400 Southwest Airlines® points

Offline askmoses

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »
looks like if u transfer 45k to southw u get 21,600 sw miles ---

If you convert: 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points you will receive:
2,400 Southwest Airlines® points
So wouldn't it just be worth converting an extra 5k Hyatt to get the extra 5k bonus? Meaning 50k will net me 29k SW?

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
So wouldn't it just be worth converting an extra 5k Hyatt to get the extra 5k bonus? Meaning 50k will net me 29k SW?

me --i would never transfer 50k or 45k hyatt to s.w. -- for u it maybe worth it -- u decide!-- if want to transfer 50k

Offline askmoses

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
me --i would never transfer 50k or 45k hyatt to s.w. -- for u it maybe worth it -- u decide!-- if want to transfer 50k
I think for the companion pass it isn't such a high price to pay...

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »
I think for the companion pass it isn't such a high price to pay...

If u are happy with it --that is what counts --i guess if u do a lot of travel with a companion it is worth it --- for me ,not a good idea since for me to get 50k hyatt i need 50k ur  to transfer -- i use ur  for untd and use untd for international travel , 50k united good for one way biz to Europe that would cost me about $1800 one way  --

Offline Dovi84w

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »
The 50k from the signup definitely do count.

I received over 100k rr points through chase personal and business yet showing zero progress toward companion pass. In response to my emails they wrote the following "Thank you for contacting us regarding the purchase of Rapid Rewards Points. We welcome the opportunity to respond.
Companion Pass Qualifying Points can be earned through the completion of revenue flights; however, they also can be earned by using any Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase or through Rapid Rewards Partners. Please understand that purchased points, bonus points, or points earned via a promotion (unless otherwise noted) are not considered Tier Qualifying Points and will not count toward Companion Pass qualification. For additional information, please visit southwest.com."
  Did the rules change? Any advice?

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2013, 11:46:01 PM »
If that is true, ouch :(

Offline magnus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2013, 03:20:55 AM »
Dovi84w, I believe the wording has been this way for a while (just got companion pass with the CC bonuses this year with that wording).

From what I've read, others believe that "bonus points" does not refer to CC bonuses (I forget what they referred to).  Instead, the CC bonus falls under "using any Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase".

Where are you checking for CP progress?  Are you using the CP pull down (and Current year to date) from your "Available Pts Details" page?  When I was short of CP, I saw my CC bonuses appear here (and still do).

Good luck.

Offline Dovi84w

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2013, 02:31:19 PM »
Thanks magnus just like you said, currently 98% there :-)

Offline Danny29

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »
Does anyone know, I currently have 109,000 and change southwest points, and will shortly reach companion pass status. Do I have to maintain a balance of 110,000 points to earn companion pass. Or, can i book a flight now with some of the points, and the fact that I EARNED 110,000 points in a year will suffice? I'd appreciate any info. Thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
No need to maintain, enjoy.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »
I'm 3080 short of 110k, and I'm looking to book with a companion next week.  My next billing doesn't close for nearly a month and I won't hit the spend within the next few days anyway to close the billing period early.  Is there any economical way to achieve companion status?  I have UR, MR, SPG, and UA.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2013, 11:07:15 AM »
I'm 3080 short of 110k, and I'm looking to book with a companion next week.  My next billing doesn't close for nearly a month and I won't hit the spend within the next few days anyway to close the billing period early.  Is there any economical way to achieve companion status?  I have UR, MR, SPG, and UA.

Believe i read , can transfer hyatt points to sw and they count toward the pass -- will need to transfer U R  to hyatt--- may cost u  6k in  U R  points   -- check b4 u do -- ur spg does not transfer to starw as far as i can tell --

try goole for more info

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
Does anyone know, I currently have 109,000 and change southwest points, and will shortly reach companion pass status. Do I have to maintain a balance of 110,000 points to earn companion pass. Or, can i book a flight now with some of the points, and the fact that I EARNED 110,000 points in a year will suffice? I'd appreciate any info. Thanks

It goes by points earned during the calendar year, redemptions don't matter.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »
I'm currently 52k points shy of earning CP status for this year. I can't do another app at the moment and I plan on flying WN enough over the summer to make it worth paying for the points to get the CP.
Dan posted about the Daily Getaway today being up to 70k Wyndham points which transfer into 30k WN points. I can buy the 70k for $405 and another 60k for $324 to get 54k WN points that count towards CP.
$729/54,000 is 1.35cpp which is still a good deal if redeemed for Wanna Get Away fares which provide a minimum of 1.67cpp in value.
Anyone have any input or better suggestions?
Got to figure this out by 1pm :)

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2013, 11:59:33 AM »
I'm currently 52k points shy of earning CP status for this year. I can't do another app at the moment and I plan on flying WN enough over the summer to make it worth paying for the points to get the CP.
Dan posted about the Daily Getaway today being up to 70k Wyndham points which transfer into 30k WN points. I can buy the 70k for $405 and another 60k for $324 to get 54k WN points that count towards CP.
$729/54,000 is 1.35cpp which is still a good deal if redeemed for Wanna Get Away fares which provide a minimum of 1.67cpp in value.
Anyone have any input or better suggestions?
Got to figure this out by 1pm :)
Bump. Anyone? Need to decide within the hour.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »
Bump. Anyone? Need to decide within the hour.
Seems like a good idea, especially if you will be utilizing the CP throughout the summer.
Only potential issue may be if you can't get the Wanna Get Away fare and you need to take a more expensive option.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2013, 08:58:27 PM »
Anyone see the post on the main site about this?
What happened to it?
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
Anyone see the post on the main site about this?
What happened to it?
I ran on update on the Wyndham deal.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2013, 09:35:30 PM »
I ran on update on the Wyndham deal.
Oh, I see that now.
But why didn't the link in the tweet work?
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"