Topic Wiki

Southwest Companion Pass.

What is it:

The SW CP is arguably the most valuable airline perk available today. It allows you to bring a companion with you for free on any Southwest flight, regardless of whether you are on a revenue or award ticket. All you pay are the government taxes on the ticket. The pass works for all Southwest flights, including international flights. The pass also works on Airtran flights that are sold on Southwest.com. Airtran flights that are not sold on Southwest.com are not eligible.
Like all other Southwest award bookings, the CP is not subject to any capacity controls, and as long as there is still a seat for sale on a particular flight, it is yours.
The pass is valid for the year it is earned in and the entire next calendar year. If you earned your CP in July 2014, your pass will be valid for the remainder of 2014 and the entirety of 2015.

How to get it:

The SW CP is obtained by earning 125,000 Southwest points in one calendar year. For example, if you earned 8k points by flying at the beginning of 2014, you need to earn another 117k points throughout the rest of 2014 in order to qualify for CP. Once 2015 rolls around, the points you've earned in 2014 no longer qualify for earning your CP, although they will still be redeemable points.

The primary method of accumulating Southwest points is CC signup bonuses. The Southwest CC frequently offers 50k point signup bonuses on all 4 flavors of Southwest cards and signup bonuses count towards earning the CP. Get approved for 2 of these cards, meet the 2k spending requirement on each and you are only 21k points away from the CP.

All points earned through the Rapid Rewards shopping mall also count towards SW CP eligibility.
Points transferred from Hyatt, Club Carlson, Marriott, and Wyndham all count towards CP status.
Points transferred from Ultimate Rewards do not count towards CP, although you can transfer can transfer 50K Ultimate Rewards points into 50K Hyatt and 50K Hyatt transfers into 30K Southwest.

Points earned by crediting hotel stays and car rentals to Southwest also count towards CP.

Using the CP:

Using your CP is very simple. Once you book a flight on Southwest, an "Add a companion" button will appear under your reservation. Just fill out the info and pay the taxes and you are done.
It is best to add your companion right when you book your own flight as there have been instances where people have forgotten to add their companion, the flight subsequently sold out and they were not able to add their companion. One thing to keep in mind is that online changes with a companion booked are not possible, you need to cancel the companion, wait 10-15 min, make the change and then add the companion again. You can make the necessary changes over the phone though.
You can change your companion up to 3 times during the life of your CP. (I believe you can change it 3 times per calendar year.)

« Last edited by pointer on January 23, 2020, 03:35:55 PM »

Author Topic: Southwest Companion Pass Master Thread  (Read 316327 times)

Offline chofetzchaim

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Southwest year long companion pass
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2013, 03:06:44 PM »
Is this a real post? :o

Why would it not be a real post? As you can see from the subsequent discussion, not everybody knows the answers to these questions. As I have not yet qualified for the pass and have an upcoming flight that I already booked, I was wondering if it is kedai for me to try to get the pass before that flight or if there will be complications with that.

Offline listen2learn

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2013, 12:13:41 AM »
Any good methods for getting 6,000 additional SW miles for the CP?

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2013, 02:15:34 AM »
I haven't used my pass all year, any chance they'll renew it?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2013, 09:24:02 AM »
I haven't used my pass all year, any chance they'll renew it?
When did you get your pass?
You have it for the remaining year you earn it and another full year.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2013, 12:00:23 PM »
When did you get your pass?
You have it for the remaining year you earn it and another full year.
I finished last December

Offline listen2learn

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2013, 07:03:38 PM »
Can a friend transfer SW into my Hyatt account and then into my SW account and have it qualify towards my CP?

Offline listen2learn

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2013, 02:10:38 PM »
Called SW and they said that it doesn't count, they also said promotions don't count. But they are counting for me currently as I am very close to CP Status. SW said that they signed up for a new points program in June 2013 and that it didn't update yet, which seems to be the case. So I am going to send those points over to Hyatt and into my SW account and see what happens. I'll let you guys know.

Offline Danny29

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »
I was wondering if the following wiould work (hang on. Little confusing).
Can I book a ticket and add my companion. I've been told that if you book with points, and tou just don't show up, they redeposit your points in your account. So. Let's say I check in for the flight, which allows my companion to check in as well, and then, I just don't show up. Officially, they are supposed to ask to see the companion pass, but I've flown a few times and they never ask to see it, and the companion,s boarding pass is a reg boarding pass. So if this would work, my companion could fly virually for free. Any idea if this loophole would work. Hypothetically of course ;)

Offline Marco Polo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »
Can I book a ticket and add my companion. I've been told that if you book with points, and tou just don't show up, they redeposit your points in your account. So. Let's say I check in for the flight, which allows my companion to check in as well, and then, I just don't show up. Officially, they are supposed to ask to see the companion pass, but I've flown a few times and they never ask to see it, and the companion,s boarding pass is a reg boarding pass. So if this would work, my companion could fly virually for free. Any idea if this loophole would work. Hypothetically of course ;)
Even if you check in but don't fly, you get the points back?
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Danny29

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »
Yes. Thats what I heard, and seems to be what i find from google. Even if, after you chweck in, you decide not to fly. We may need Dan's expertise to chime in on this

Offline Danny29

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »
Can I book a ticket and add my companion. I've been told that if you book with points, and tou just don't show up, they redeposit your points in your account. So. Let's say I check in for the flight, which allows my companion to check in as well, and then, I just don't show up. Officially, they are supposed to ask to see the companion pass, but I've flown a few times and they never ask to see it, and the companion,s boarding pass is a reg boarding pass. So if this would work, my companion could fly virually for free. Any idea if this loophole would work. Hypothetically of course ;) Anyone?

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2013, 01:00:56 AM »
Can I book a ticket and add my companion. I've been told that if you book with points, and tou just don't show up, they redeposit your points in your account. So. Let's say I check in for the flight, which allows my companion to check in as well, and then, I just don't show up. Officially, they are supposed to ask to see the companion pass, but I've flown a few times and they never ask to see it, and the companion,s boarding pass is a reg boarding pass. So if this would work, my companion could fly virually for free. Any idea if this loophole would work. Hypothetically of course ;) Anyone?
Add me as your companion and I'll let you know :)

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2013, 01:02:05 AM »
Even if you check in but don't fly, you get the points back?
Yes i missed my flight and got back points

Offline smiles

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2013, 05:13:02 PM »
Can someone please clarify for me how long the pass is good for? I spoke to 2 different representatives and they said it's active for one year from the date you get it.

But I've seen people say just for the calendar year, or the rest of the year plus the next year?

Sorry if this is already answered somewhere, can't seem to find it.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2013, 05:14:49 PM »
Can someone please clarify for me how long the pass is good for? I spoke to 2 different representatives and they said it's active for one year from the date you get it.

But I've seen people say just for the calendar year, or the rest of the year plus the next year?

Sorry if this is already answered somewhere, can't seem to find it.

AFAIK it's good until the end of the year in which you receive it and then until the end of the following calendar year.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Shmulyg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2013, 12:04:37 AM »
AFAIK it's good until the end of the year in which you receive it and then until the end of the following calendar year.
+1

Offline askmoses

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2013, 12:55:41 AM »
Confirmed

Offline yankel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »
Add me as your companion and I'll let you know :)

I know that SW recently started a policy of not refunding when you are a "No Show". http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/09/southwest-airlines-new-no-show-policy-takes-effect-today.html/

Search the SW TLC's, but it sounds like you can cancel after check in just before plane actually takes off.
In my experience I had points refunded at the airport because I accidentally double booked the flight.

I have another question in these vein.

I am flying with lap child, but I like have a confirmed seat (just not willing to pay for it). What I'm thinking of doing for my next flight, is booking the flight for my infant using points. Then when I get to the airport I'll ask if they're any "extra seats" if their are, I'll just try cancelling my infants ticket by phone and make it a lap child, Then I'll just get the seat for free!.

Am pretty sure this will work, my only question is what happens if I cancel after checkin, I imagine there's no way of doing this because then I wont have the lap child boarding pass. Just thinking out loud if there is a way to do this.

Offline askmoses

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2013, 10:29:17 PM »
I know that SW recently started a policy of not refunding when you are a "No Show". http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/09/southwest-airlines-new-no-show-policy-takes-effect-today.html/

Search the SW TLC's, but it sounds like you can cancel after check in just before plane actually takes off.
In my experience I had points refunded at the airport because I accidentally double booked the flight.

I have another question in these vein.

I am flying with lap child, but I like have a confirmed seat (just not willing to pay for it). What I'm thinking of doing for my next flight, is booking the flight for my infant using points. Then when I get to the airport I'll ask if they're any "extra seats" if their are, I'll just try cancelling my infants ticket by phone and make it a lap child, Then I'll just get the seat for free!.

Am pretty sure this will work, my only question is what happens if I cancel after checkin, I imagine there's no way of doing this because then I wont have the lap child boarding pass. Just thinking out loud if there is a way to do this.
Might work. In my limited Southwest experience, the flights I flew on were full with a nice long standby line as well. 

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2013, 10:42:18 PM »

With the way Southwest's seating works, unless the flight is completely sold out, you should be able to get a seat for your infant as they allow families to preboard and no one will know whether you purchased a seat or not unless they need your infant's seat for a paying passenger.