Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1109633 times)

Offline Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #3080 on: April 12, 2017, 08:49:21 PM »
Apparently United is providing a refund for every passenger on the now infamous flight with the uncooperative doctor.

Online Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: April 12, 2017, 10:56:05 PM »
Someone I know was scheduled to fly on El Al to Newark, which was delayed 4 and a half hours. They managed to get on a DL flight instead. I presume no compensation, or am I wrong?
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #3082 on: April 13, 2017, 12:08:57 AM »
Anyone has experience with Swiss regarding an EU261 claim?

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: April 13, 2017, 02:06:05 AM »
Anyone get comp for an AA canceled flight? No reason was given and weather was not an issue as I rebooked with United for the same time slot.

Offline elya

• View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: April 13, 2017, 02:38:11 AM »
Anyone has experience with Swiss regarding an EU261 claim?
I had success with OS. (check was from Lufthansa, which is why I imagine it may be relevant info to LX as well)

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: April 13, 2017, 07:50:40 AM »
Anyone get comp for an AA canceled flight? No reason was given and weather was not an issue as I rebooked with United for the same time slot.
Not saying weather was the issue but that doesn't mean weather wasn't the issue.

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: April 13, 2017, 07:54:41 AM »
Not saying weather was the issue but that doesn't mean weather wasn't the issue.
+1

Besides, weather cancellation regulations vary by airline (and pilot). So AA could've deemed it too risky to fly, but UA decided to take an extra chance and flew.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #3087 on: April 13, 2017, 09:26:52 AM »
+1

Besides, weather cancellation regulations vary by airline (and pilot). So AA could've deemed it too risky to fly, but UA decided to take an extra chance and flew.

Other than asking AA, is there a way to determine the official reason for the cancelation?

Also,let's say the reason is mechanical, what type of compensation can I expect?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:38:29 AM by Menachem613 »

Offline Aerial Dag

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: April 13, 2017, 10:07:19 PM »
I had my DL flight on April 6th to Atlanta cancelled with no alternative flights offered. When I called up CS to verify that no alternatives exists, I asked to be compensated and was told no compensations were being offered since it was weather related. Fast forward to today when I got an email survey about my cancellation. I gave them low marks and indicated how bothered I was that I didn't even get compensation for a cancelled flight on a non-stormy day. Just got 2 emails from Delta. One email said that they're giving me 20k Skymiles points and another that said that each ticket holder will get a Delta $200 voucher.

I guess those surveys aren't all useless...

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: April 13, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »
I had my DL flight on April 6th to Atlanta cancelled with no alternative flights offered. When I called up CS to verify that no alternatives exists, I asked to be compensated and was told no compensations were being offered since it was weather related. Fast forward to today when I got an email survey about my cancellation. I gave them low marks and indicated how bothered I was that I didn't even get compensation for a cancelled flight on a non-stormy day. Just got 2 emails from Delta. One email said that they're giving me 20k Skymiles points and another that said that each ticket holder will get a Delta $200 voucher.

They're giving that to everyone.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Aerial Dag

• View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: April 13, 2017, 10:31:08 PM »
They're giving that to everyone.
Thanks for ruining the special feeling of being a unique snowflake  :P

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: April 13, 2017, 10:31:41 PM »
Thanks for ruining the special feeling of being a unique snowflake  :P
Any day
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Aerial Dag

• View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: April 13, 2017, 11:07:00 PM »
According to DoC I should have only received one of the above compensations. I guess time will tell what others receive but glad to have received both!

Offline Aerial Dag

• View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: April 13, 2017, 11:09:12 PM »
In fact, according  to this site
•Customer is on a cancelled flight and they opt not to travel and take the refund: Do not qualify
I should not have received ANY compensation since after I found out my flight was cancelled I called up Delta and cancelled my whole itinerary and got a full refund.

Offline elya

• View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: April 13, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »
What's the EU compensation requirement for lost baggage?

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: April 14, 2017, 01:49:16 AM »

Got the $200 Email today. Flight from FLL to JFK was cancelled, needed to book fll-atlanta-jfk. Major PITA. No 20k miles email though. I did give them bad ratings on the survey and sent an email separately complaining.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline snapit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: April 14, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »

Other than asking AA, is there a way to determine the official reason for the cancelation?

Also,let's say the reason is mechanical, what type of compensation can I expect?
I had an aa flight cancelled for mechanical issues and got $300 in vouchers. then I was rebooked on a flight to a different airport and got another $200 for the extra trouble

Offline Aerial Dag

• View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: April 14, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »
Got the $200 Email today. Flight from FLL to JFK was cancelled, needed to book fll-atlanta-jfk. Major PITA. No 20k miles email though. I did give them bad ratings on the survey and sent an email separately complaining.
Ok I see what happened here. I booked my flight and my colleagues flight. So the $200 rebate that I got was for my colleague (he didn't have a skymiles number) and the 20k points was for me. Looks like I didn't get both compensations.

Offline yoshapiro

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: April 15, 2017, 10:49:41 PM »
I booked a ticket from Israel to New York. It was a 9AM flight to land in JFK 2PM EST. I thought that would be enough time to get in after luggage and everything for Shabbas because I live only 30 min from JFK.
However, right before boarding I realized my flight was going to Newark not JFK. I was so confused I thought I had made a mistake in booking my ticket so I quickly got on my computer and checked and saw I did in fact book a ticket to JFK not Newark. So I quickly ran to the boarding desk and told them that I had booked my ticket to JFK not Newark. They told me that a few hours prior to the flight the JFK flight was cancelled and they put everyone on the JFK flight onto the Newark flight, which was leaving at the same time.
The only problem was, was that I live very far from Newark and I had planned for someone to meet me at JFK not Newark and I couldn't find anyone to pick me up from there so close to shabbas with Friday rush hour traffic. I kept complaining to the lady and she kept telling me there is nothing we can do.
I ended up getting on the flight and thanks to global entry I was outa there quickly an took public transportation to get home and I got home minuted before Shabbas. This was absolutely outrageous to me. It's one thing to switch my flight to a different flight to JFK, but to completely switch me to another airport/ another state without even telling me, absolutely outrageous. Especially ELAL who apparently is so sensitive to "Jewish tradition" didn't care about people's plans for shabbas.

Any advice on what I can do for compensation?
Thanks!

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: April 16, 2017, 01:38:35 AM »
Ok I see what happened here. I booked my flight and my colleagues flight. So the $200 rebate that I got was for my colleague (he didn't have a skymiles number) and the 20k points was for me. Looks like I didn't get both compensations.
Is the $200 voucher from this sellable, or does it need to be used under my name.
I'm not who you think I am.