Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1098838 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Airline Compensation Master Thread
« on: January 29, 2012, 07:29:23 PM »
Airline: Continental
Flight: IAH-HNL
Class: BusinessFirst (award ticket)
Incident: No kosher meal (despite confirming KSML online and 3 additional times by phone)
Compensation: $200x2 passengers=$400 of CO vouchers.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 07:51:10 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
Flight: TLV-EWR
Incident: broken controller
Compensation: 10,000 miles

Airline: Delta
Flight: MIA-MSP
Class: Coach
Incident: Called ahead and was told I was on confirmed standby and when I arrived they told me there was no such thing. (This was at the time when NW and Delta were in the middle of merging. )
Compensation: $50 + 5,000 miles
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:05:25 PM by sky121 »
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline goodenglewood

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Platinum, *W Platinum, AA Gold, Hertz Platinum, National Executive
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 07:59:03 PM »
Flight: TLV-JFK
Class: BusinessFirst
Incident: Original flight canceled after sitting on plane for four hours, then rescheduled for next night and then canceled again due to maintenance issues. Ended up making a one way award ticket with LH on my own, while some of my other not so lucky friends didn't get home for another day. Fired off a nasty email from the FRA Lounge.
Compensation: An standard email apology, including $200 of E-Certs, and a roundtrip ticket anywhere DL flies. Not enough in my opinion. Their version of the events that unfolded were totally skewed from the truth... was 10x worse than it sounds from the email.

Dear M,

RE: Case 916479

On behalf of Delta Air Lines, I would like to offer you my immediate and sincere apology for the inconvenience caused when Flight 269 from Tel Aviv (TLV) to John F. Kennedy (JFK) cancelled on July 7, 2010.  Further, I regret the additional impact to your travel when extra section Flight 9856, scheduled to depart that evening was also cancelled and you incurred a second overnight stay in TLV.  I recognize how upsetting and inconvenient these flight disruptions were for you, and again, I apologize. 

Please allow me to offer some additional details regarding this incident.

- On July 7, 2010 Delta Flight 269 experienced a hydraulic leak.  As it was anticipated this would be corrected prior to scheduled departure, a
decision was made to board the aircraft.       
- Unfortunately this did not occur, and continued attempts were made to address the maintenance issue while the passengers were onboard.
- This "creeping delay" along with crew restrictions ultimately rendered the crew unable to transport the passengers to JFK.
- Flight 269 was cancelled and extra section Flight 9856 was created to depart that evening.
- Passengers were provided hotel accommodations, meal vouchers, and rebooked on Flight 9856 or on an alternate flight.
- Boarding of Flight 9856 was delayed approximately an hour due to a runway issue.
- Upon completion of boarding, the flight was further delayed due to mechanical problems.  These items were resolved, the aircraft departed the gate, only to return due to another maintenance issue. 
- Once again, on-going delays and crew restrictions necessitated the cancellation of the flight, and extra section Flight 9860 was created to transport the passengers to JFK on July 8, 2010.
- Passengers were provided hotel accommodations, meal vouchers, and rebooked on Flight 9860 or on alternate flights.
- Flight 9860 departed as planned. 

As a gesture of apology for the inconvenience caused by these flight disruptions, in addition to the Electronic Transportation Credit Voucher
(eTCV) gesture already provided, attached is a roundtrip system-wide international ticket that has been reserved for you.  Please keep the document numbers and the Terms and Conditions since the numbers are required for redemption.  Both the eTCV and ticket must be redeemed within one year from the date of issue.  There is no Direct Ticketing
fee for reservations made online at delta.com.   

For details regarding the eTCV gesture, questions regarding the complimentary ticket, or assistance in redeeming either document towards future travel, please contact Delta Reservations at 800-221-1212.

I pledge to you that we are dedicated to providing dependable transportation.  We look forward to a future opportunity of serving your air travel needs.  Thank you for your understanding and for flying Delta Air Lines.

Sincerely,

Toby Broberg
Director, Customer Care
Delta Air Lines/KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »
Flight: JFK-TLV
Class: Economy (regular ticket).
Incident: flight the way going was delayed by 3 hours. but was notified a few weeks in advance. The way back it was delayed for over 12 hours.
Compensation: $200 in airline vouchers ($100 for the issue on the way going. $100 for the way back). Plus 35,000 skymiles. in addition to the hotels - meals overnight they honored.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:15:51 PM »
Just checked my inbox and can add a new one to the list here -  :)

Incident: flight delayed over 9 hours.
Compensation: $300 voucher per person.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »
Airline: United
Flight: JFK-SFO
Class: First (Award business ticket upgraded by airline).
Incident: Flight Attendant felt bad for how crappy the kosher food was
Compensation: $150x2 in airline vouchers

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »
Airline: United
Flight: JFK-SFO
Class: First (Award business ticket upgraded by airline).
Incident: Flight Attendant felt bad for how crappy the kosher food was
Compensation: $150x2 in airline vouchers
The FA gave you vouchers?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
The FA gave you vouchers?
well she gave us something that was good for vouchers or miles that was back before my days of knowing about this stuff so we took the vouchers dont remember how many miles we could have gotten

Offline daganster

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »
Flight: GUA- ATL
Class: Coach
Incident: FA was very rude screamed at me for going to the bathroom when they were preparing  for landing.
Compensation: 2 * $100 and 2 * $75 voucher.
PS. I sent 2 emails, hence got compensated twice ( Not intentionally for those referring me to the ethical board)

Flight: NYC  NAS
Class:Coach
Incident Denied me boarding and charged me $50 to book another flight. I officially arrived less than an hour before the flight.
Compensation: $200x2 passengers=$400 of Delta vouchers.

Airline: Lufthansa
Flight: TLV - NYC
Class: Business (award ticket)
Incident: No kosher meal
Compensation: $50 ( Pretty lousy)

Offline mguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »
Incident: broken controller
Compensation: 10,000 miles
Pardon my ignorance - What's a controller? The entertainment system?

(I was recently on a CO AMS-EWR in BusinessFirst where my entertainment system was completely broken. Didn't get anything yet.)

Offline MnM1130

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 09:40:06 PM »
Flight: TLV-NYC
Class: Economy
Incident: Delayed baggage for 2 days
Compensation: 500$ cash, and 400$ vouchers
this was before the days i knew much about travel compensation.. but faxed and emailed letters about twice a week.. till they gave us our moneys worth.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 09:42:25 PM »
I was recently on a CO AMS-EWR in BusinessFirst where my entertainment system was completely broken. Didn't get anything yet.
Did you write to them?

Offline mguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 09:48:30 PM »
Did you write to them?
You bet (through continental.com/feedback)! Didn't get ANY response yet. Was going to call to follow up soon.

And BTW - Anyone find that elite status actually results in bigger compensation? I am currently Platinum.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 09:50:02 PM »
You bet (through continental.com/feedback)! Didn't get ANY response yet. Was going to call to follow up soon.

And BTW - Anyone find that elite status actually results in bigger compensation? I am currently Platinum.
Took them almost 2 months to get back to me.

Offline mguy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 09:53:04 PM »
Flight: MXP-EWR
Compensation: measly 2000 miles x 2 passengers

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 09:57:16 PM »
Flight: NYC-TLV
Class: Economy
Incident: long wait time. Third baggage wasn't aloud to go on flight, because it budged into the hour before flight. we had to leave it behind.
Compensation: 15,000 Skymiles x 2.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 09:58:20 PM »
Airline/Flight: Lufthansa (CDG-FRA-VCE), Swiss (VCE-ZRH-TLV)
Class: Business/Coach (award ticket)
Incident: Busted suitcase, placed broken pieces and only half its contents in a plastic bag, TLV airport wouldn't deliver the delayed broken suitcase.
Compensation: $4,400 cash.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 09:59:09 PM »
Flight: MXP-EWR
Compensation: measly 2000 miles x 2 passengers

It's all in the writing of the letter :)

Offline Shmelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 10:00:33 PM »
Airline: AA
Flight: JFK-ZRH
Class: Coach (Paid)
Incident: Anti semitic flight attendant
Compensation: 20,000 miles

Flight: LGA-ATL
Class: Coach (Paid)
Incident: Lost luggage
Compensation: $1400
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline MLM

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »
Flight: TLV-JFK
Class: BusinessFirst
Incident: Original flight canceled after sitting on plane for four hours, then rescheduled for next night and then canceled again due to maintenance issues. Ended up making a one way award ticket with LH on my own, while some of my other not so lucky friends didn't get home for another day. Fired off a nasty email from the FRA Lounge.
Compensation: An standard email apology, including $200 of E-Certs, and a roundtrip ticket anywhere DL flies. Not enough in my opinion. Their version of the events that unfolded were totally skewed from the truth... was 10x worse than it sounds from the email.

Dear M,

RE: Case 916479

On behalf of Delta Air Lines, I would like to offer you my immediate and sincere apology for the inconvenience caused when Flight 269 from Tel Aviv (TLV) to John F. Kennedy (JFK) cancelled on July 7, 2010.  Further, I regret the additional impact to your travel when extra section Flight 9856, scheduled to depart that evening was also cancelled and you incurred a second overnight stay in TLV.  I recognize how upsetting and inconvenient these flight disruptions were for you, and again, I apologize. 

Please allow me to offer some additional details regarding this incident.

- On July 7, 2010 Delta Flight 269 experienced a hydraulic leak.  As it was anticipated this would be corrected prior to scheduled departure, a
decision was made to board the aircraft.       
- Unfortunately this did not occur, and continued attempts were made to address the maintenance issue while the passengers were onboard.
- This "creeping delay" along with crew restrictions ultimately rendered the crew unable to transport the passengers to JFK.
- Flight 269 was cancelled and extra section Flight 9856 was created to depart that evening.
- Passengers were provided hotel accommodations, meal vouchers, and rebooked on Flight 9856 or on an alternate flight.
- Boarding of Flight 9856 was delayed approximately an hour due to a runway issue.
- Upon completion of boarding, the flight was further delayed due to mechanical problems.  These items were resolved, the aircraft departed the gate, only to return due to another maintenance issue. 
- Once again, on-going delays and crew restrictions necessitated the cancellation of the flight, and extra section Flight 9860 was created to transport the passengers to JFK on July 8, 2010.
- Passengers were provided hotel accommodations, meal vouchers, and rebooked on Flight 9860 or on alternate flights.
- Flight 9860 departed as planned. 

As a gesture of apology for the inconvenience caused by these flight disruptions, in addition to the Electronic Transportation Credit Voucher
(eTCV) gesture already provided, attached is a roundtrip system-wide international ticket that has been reserved for you.  Please keep the document numbers and the Terms and Conditions since the numbers are required for redemption.  Both the eTCV and ticket must be redeemed within one year from the date of issue.  There is no Direct Ticketing
fee for reservations made online at delta.com.   

For details regarding the eTCV gesture, questions regarding the complimentary ticket, or assistance in redeeming either document towards future travel, please contact Delta Reservations at 800-221-1212.

I pledge to you that we are dedicated to providing dependable transportation.  We look forward to a future opportunity of serving your air travel needs.  Thank you for your understanding and for flying Delta Air Lines.

Sincerely,

Toby Broberg
Director, Customer Care
Delta Air Lines/KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

My Uncle was on that flight and ended up getting to LAX 24 hours later. He was also going business. What should he fight for?

Was your free flight in Business? Also is it transferable?