Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1098867 times)

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #3540 on: December 29, 2017, 10:51:58 AM »
Why so little? 14 hour delay?
What do you estimate can ask for?
Which method is best to contact? phone email? twitter ?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline a good yeshiva bachur

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: December 29, 2017, 11:14:22 AM »
WiFi not working on UA SFO-BOS. Got 5,000 UA.
took UA SFO-EWR in October and wifi didnt work is it too late to complain?

Offline ludmila

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #3542 on: December 30, 2017, 12:10:56 AM »
What do you estimate can ask for?
Which method is best to contact? phone email? twitter ?
I had better results using twitter .
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: December 31, 2017, 08:12:16 AM »
I would TARB.  Takes five minutes to fill out the form online.

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: January 01, 2018, 05:38:12 PM »
TARB??

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: January 01, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »

• View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: January 01, 2018, 08:36:14 PM »
Any link?

Maybe someone can update wiki
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 10:00:30 PM by a good yeshiva bachur »

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: January 01, 2018, 08:49:21 PM »
Try And Report Back.
Thanks, this was a new one to me.

Offline jmz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: January 05, 2018, 11:45:55 AM »
Hope this is the right thread

I flew from tlv-zrh-fra-ord

The last leg was UA and a milage ticket 

Arrived last night and one bag was missing. Went to file claim and they said the bag was scanned in Ord. They said either someone stole it or it was around just and just lost because of the influx of diverted flights from NY.
I did read that due to it being  a milage ticket that Amex won't cover 
I went to nordstrom and bought a few things and will try to claim from UA.
 I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do.
What are my options if I didn't get this right?  Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: January 07, 2018, 01:55:02 PM »
I flew to costa rica on united and they left my bag in Newark! So i have no clothes or anything. I booked on Amex platinum. Who can i get compensation from amd reimbursement for clothes that i need to buy? How much can i get? Thanks

• View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: January 07, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
Well thanks for the advice
I got an e-mail just now and here’s their reply (let’s see what it’s worth)

Offline zagguru

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: January 07, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »
Anyone get compensation for delays on Hawaiian?

Bump on this.

Sent them an email over a week ago, no reply.

• View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: January 07, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »
Bump on this.

Sent them an email over a week ago, no reply.
Give them time I filled out form online and got email today....

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: January 09, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
I flew to costa rica on united and they left my bag in Newark! So i have no clothes or anything. I booked on Amex platinum. Who can i get compensation from amd reimbursement for clothes that i need to buy? How much can i get? Thanks

The delivered it after 2 days what can i do?

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: January 09, 2018, 03:36:19 PM »
The delivered it after 2 days what can i do?
aside from airline you should file with your CC as well
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline New guy 2014

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: January 10, 2018, 10:34:49 AM »
Airline: Air Canada
Flight: BWI-YYZ-FRA-TLV
Class: Economy (glitch tickets)
Incident: Flight delays/rebooked on wrong flight/terrible customer service
Compensation: $600 (CAD) and reimbursement for expenses in Toronto.

Any thoughts I whether I should push this for more compensation? Detailed history and emails below

--------------------------

My mail to Air Canada on 12/8/17:

--MESSAGE--
Subject: Terrible experience
I am writing to convey my utter disappointment and dissatisfaction in the customer service experience that my family and I suffered two weeks ago with Air Canada. Air Canada’s employees’ indifference and ineptitude towards a situation that they created caused us much grief and financial loss. As detailed below, the BWI desk/group and customer service line of Air Canada has some lazy employees that will give my family pause to ever flying with Air Canada from BWI in the future. I hope that my issues will be addressed quickly and fully.

We (me, my wife and our 1 year old) were scheduled to depart from Baltimore (BWI) on Thursday, November 22 at 6:30 PM on Air Canada Flight 7357, arriving in Toronto at 7:54 PM. The booking reference number for this trip was  ------. We were scheduled to connect to Air Canada Flight 876, departing at 9:40 PM to Frankfurt. We were scheduled to spend the day in Frankfurt, having a hired a driver to visit relatives, and then fly via Star Alliance member Lufthansa to our final destination, Tel Aviv. As detailed below, we never made the trip to Frankfurt.

We arrived at the check in counter in Baltimore around 3:15 PM, but there were no Air Canada employees present. At 3:45, a considerable line had grown, but still, no Air Canada employees were present. Finally, at around 4:00, an Air Canada employee who was wearing a reflective vest (i.e., someone who did not appear to have the job of dealing with passenger check-in, etc.). explained to us that the check-in crew was dealing with a delayed departure and would be with us soon. He explained to us that earlier in the day one of the Air Canada planes was discovered to have a faulty ice sensor. Per Air Canada policy, they would have to import the sensor from Canada (instead of obtaining one locally at BWI). This obviously delayed flights for this route considerably. After several more minutes, this employee felt bad for the growing line and decided to starting checking people in for the flight. At this point our flight was still scheduled to depart on time.

We proceeded through security and to our gate where we noticed on the screen that the departure time had now been delayed by one hour. (In hindsight this notification should have been made much earlier, as the plane we were going to use was still sitting in Toronto). It was obvious to us that a one-hour delay would not permit us to make our connecting flight in Toronto, as 40 minutes (and dwindling) would not be enough time to clear customs and allow for bag transfers. We approached the gate counter and asked for assistance with our flights. The employee working the counter was not very helpful to say the least. In a voice barely above a whisper, the best she could offer us was to inform me of Air Canada’s toll-free customer service line. She gave off a very lazy impression.

Left with no choice we called customer service, which had a 20-minute waiting time. I finally reached a representative who advised me that since we were already checked in, no changes would be made to the itinerary until were already in the air, despite his admission that we would clearly not make our connecting flight to Frankfurt. He said that our only other option was to uncheck, physically retrieve our bags, and only then would he make a change to our itinerary. At this time he informed us that he could rebook us on various Star Alliance routes (through EWR on United) leaving shortly from BWI. He would not wait with us on the phone to retrieve our bags to rebook the trip.

We went back to the gate agent and waited in line behind another frustrated customer who was also being advised by the agent of Air Canada’s toll-free customer service number. When it was our turn I requested that she uncheck us from the flight and have our bags send to the baggage carousel. This she was able to do.

When we retrieved our bags, we called back the customer service line, waited 20 minutes for a representative and explained the situation. The agent, who spoke a barely intelligible English offered zero assistance helping us rebook our flights. At this point we were prepared to miss our Frankfurt connection and get to Tel Aviv anyway possible, however, she claimed that every flight was book, both on Air Canada and through Star Alliance. I could see online that we there was plenty of space on the flights. She said should would not help us and hung up the line.

Left with no choice we went back to the check in our counter, to see that it was being stationed by the same agent who was previously working the gate counter. I told her that this situation was getting ridiculous, that I now had no flights, had been sitting in the airport for 3 hours and would she please help us. She said fine, I will make a call. She made a call to some at Air Canada and explained the situation (I must add, she was on the phone for over 30 minutes and spent at least 20 minutes or so chit-chatting about her personal trainer and other personal matters right in front of me – this was one employee who just did not care about customers!). After quite some time, she told me that that the only option was to fly to Toronto, connect later that night to England, spend 8 hours in England and then fly to Tel Aviv. I said we would accept that itinerary. (As an aside, I explained that we needed to be in Tel Aviv by Friday morning since are Sabbath observant). We checked in (again) and were given new boarding passes, but only for the first leg of the trip. She explained she “couldn’t figure out how to do the rest of the trip” and so therefore our luggage would not go straight to England (even though we were taking an Air Canada flight), and that he had do full customs and retrieve our bags and recheck everything once we landed in Toronto. (As another aside we overhead other employees saying that part of the delays was because their manager showed up late that day).

With a hungry and crying baby in hand, we (re)proceeded through security and to our gate. We arrived there just as the other incoming flight from Toronto had landed, and so we were about 10-15 minutes from boarding. On a whim, I checked my email for the new itinerary from Air Canada. When I looked closer at it, I realized that the inept and lazy gate/check-in counter and her counterpart had made an awful mistake. We were not actually scheduled to travel on Nov 22 to London, but a full 24 hours later on November 23 at 11:55 PM! Not only was our travel time now increased to 50 hours, but this has us flying on the Sabbath, which I had specially advised them I couldn’t do!

I called Air Canada for the umpteenth time (there was no way I was going to speak the gate agent again) and explained the awful situation. I explained that I could not accept this itinerary and would not board the flight unless a change could be made within the next several minutes. Magically, this agent only took 10 minutes and was able to rebook us onto the direct flight the next day at 5:00 PM from YYZ to TLV. This was even though the previous phone representatives told us that the flight was fully booked (it wasn’t, and I know so because we took it) and despite us being “checked in”). My only gripe with this agent was that she didn’t advise us to go to the connections desk in Toronto to be booked at hotel.

We boarded our flight and landed in Toronto shorty thereafter. The only good lining from the gate check in person’s inability to get things right was that we were able to get our luggage since she couldn’t figure out how to tag it to England and onto TLV. When we got our luggage I when to the connections desk on my own accord and said that I really thought we should be put up in a hotel, considering that our flight was not until tomorrow. Finally, at 12:00 AM, almost 9 hours after we had arrived in BWI for a short 1:30 flight time, we arrived in a hotel for the night.

Of course, it wasn’t rosy from there. We had to leave the hotel by 11 AM, and so I needed to rent a car to hold our luggage for the day (as it would be too difficult to chase a 1 year old around an airport for 6 hours). This add considerable costs to our trip, along with the driver we had hired (and memories) and now missed in Frankfurt. Finally, at 5:00 we boarded our flight to TLV and the nightmare was over.

At the very least I would like Air Canada to acknowledge the grief and costs it caused and compensate and reimburse me and my family for our troubles. I would be happy to provide you with all my iteniary information and speak to anyone about my experience. My goal is for the this to be addressed quickly, fully and quietly. I would also appreciate a commitment be to made towards reeducation for the BWI Air Canada employees, so that I may feel comfortable flying Air Canada from BWI in the future.

My contact information is below.

Very truly yours,

----------------------------------------------

I spoke with an Air Canada rep on 12/12/17. They agreed to comp us $600 CAD for the hassle and advised me to submit receipts for expense in Toronto.

-------------------------------------------

This was their follow up email:

Your case number is: -------------

Dear Mr. -----------,

Thank you for speaking with me today. I wanted to follow up our call so that we may address your concerns.

As mentioned, at your earliest convenience, please provide the receipt for the car rental through one of the acceptable formats:
-pdf, docx, doc, jpeg, png

Furthermore, as goodwill gesture, I am pleased to provide you with an eCoupon in the amount of $600.00. Below, I have provided its details of use and how to apply it to a new booking.

I look forward to resolving this matter with you shortly

Sincerely,
Joshua Jackson 
Customer Relations

------------------------------

My response:

Dear Mr. Jackson:

I apologize for my delayed response. I have attached a.pdf printout of the the purchases I made in Canada, including the rental car. Please note the amount paid in US dollars, versus what was charged in Canadian dollars. Please also clarify whether the $600 ecoupon for the hassle at BWI was issued in US or Canadian dollars. Thank you.).

I also wanted to bring to your attention compensation I am owed in addition to the above for the delay itself. As you are undoubtedly aware, Article 19 of the Montreal Convention provides that "the carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay in the carriage by air of passengers, baggage or cargo. As a direct result of Air Canada's mechanical issues and insistence on flying replacement parts to BWI from Canada, I arrived in Tel Aviv on November 24th at around 10:00 AM, around 11 hours after my scheduled arrival (of November 23rd at 11:00 PM. Had I stuck with the rescheduled flight through London I would have arrived in Tel Aviv on Saturday at 3:30 AM, 28 and half hours after my scheduled arrival). Clearly, Article 19 of the Montreal Convention is applicable to this lengthy delay.

In terms of compensation for the 11 hour delay for me, my wife and my son, I believe that European Union Regulation (EC) 261/2004 provides a fair benchmark for compensation for delayed flights. Per the regulation, for delays 3-5 hours, each passenger is entitled to 600 euro.

As a result, in accordance with Article 19 of the Montreal Convention, I respectfully request that Air Canada issue compensation to me, my wife and my son in the amount of 600 euros per passenger (approximately 708 US dollars). Thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding in this matter.

Sincerely yours,

------------------
Their reply on 12/2/17

Dear Mr. -----------,

Thank you for providing the receipts.

I have requested that you be reimbursed the full amount for the rental and meal expense. A draft in the amount of USD79.97 should be issued promptly, however, please allow a minimum of four (4) weeks for processing and delivery.

The Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council “EU Regulations you are referring to are not applicable to the flights you have contacted us about. As your flight was departing from a Canadian airport and your flight from the EU was not affected, we cannot offer the compensation you have requested. The $600.00 CAD eCoupon was offered as a goodwill gesture and we are unable to offer further compensation.

Thank you again for allowing us the opportunity to review this with you. We hope to welcome you and your family on board again soon.

Sincerely,
Joshua Jackson 
Customer Relations

--------------------
my reply:

Dear Mr. Jackson:

Thank you for your reply and for taking care of the reimbursement. With respect to the flight delays, I never requested that EU rules be applied, only that they be used as a benchmark for compensation. The applicable rules are found in Article 19 of the Montreal Convention, which provides that "the carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay in the carriage by air of passengers, baggage or cargo."

As a direct result of Air Canada's mechanical issues and unreasonable insistence on flying replacement parts to BWI from Canada, I arrived in Tel Aviv on November 24th at around 10:00 AM, around 11 hours after my scheduled arrival (of November 23rd at 11:00 PM. Had I stuck with the rescheduled flight through London I would have arrived in Tel Aviv on Saturday at 3:30 AM, 28 and half hours after my scheduled arrival). Clearly, Article 19 of the Montreal Convention is applicable to this lengthy delay.

I only referred to the EU rules as they provide a good benchmark for compensation, requiring airlines to pay 600 euros per passenger for delays that exceed 3-5 hours. In my case my delay was far lengthier, 11 hours, and my offer to accept 600 euros per passenger is more more than fair.

If you are unable to offer me this compensation, I will be left with no choice other than to litigate this dispute in the United States, filing a claim against Air Canada under Article 19 of the Montreal Convention. If I take this course of action, I will demand attorney's fees, greater compensation for 11 hours I was delayed, losses due to not landing in Frankfurt and other costs associated with this delay. I am confident that any court, including the court of public opinion, will find that the reason for the delay -  Air Canada's unreasonable insistence on flying replacement parts to BWI from Canada - was unfair to passengers and will agree with my demands in this matter.

Please advise me whether you intend to accept this offer.

Sincerely yours,

------------------------

their final reply on 1/2/17

Dear Mr. ----------,

We truly regret your dissatisfaction. We believe the goodwill compensation we have offered is fair, and we’re unable to offer additional compensation.

In our previous emails, we provided our explanations. Respectfully, we consider this matter closed.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you on board in the future.

Sincerely,
Joshua Jackson 
Customer Relations

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: January 10, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »
Are you not eligible for either IL or EU compensation, even if it was the first leg of a connecting flight?

Offline mijo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA: 1K, HHonors: Dia, IHG Plat
« Reply #3557 on: January 10, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »
Went to file claim and they said the bag was scanned in Ord. They said either someone stole it or it was around just and just lost because of the influx of diverted flights from NY.

Did you get a PIR (Property Irregularity Report) from the Baggage agent?

Offline New guy 2014

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: January 10, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »
Are you not eligible for either IL or EU compensation, even if it was the first leg of a connecting flight?
Definitely not EU, since the flight did not originate in the EU and Air Canada is not an EU airline. I am not sure regarding IL rules.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: January 10, 2018, 11:30:36 AM »
Definitely not EU, since the flight did not originate in the EU and Air Canada is not an EU airline. I am not sure regarding IL rules.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure if a flight was due to be touching EU it would be eligible. The question is about the first leg of the connection that didn't touch the EU.