Topic Wiki

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the extended warranty on your specific Amex card. There are over 50 cards listed, not sure how many variations of of the T&C there are.
For Centurion® Members, please see americanexpress.com/CenturionEWTerms. For Business Centurion® Members, please see americanexpress.com/BusinessCenturionEWTerms
« Last edited by WAM on November 26, 2015, 09:24:19 PM »

Author Topic: Amex Extended Warranty  (Read 242606 times)

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: amex extended warranty
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2011, 11:21:30 PM »
How do they only cover $5? They only extend the warranty to a value of $5?
Also, how does AMEX know that really cost a lot more but that you used GC's? They don't see the GC's on the statement. For all they know, you snagged a great deal
I think it means that they will pay the cost of repair or purchase price, whichever is less.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Re: amex extended warranty
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2011, 01:57:04 AM »
I think it means that they will pay the cost of repair or purchase price, whichever is less.
Seems weird...
A warranty claim could theoretically cost more than the actual product if a bunch of work needs to be done on the product. In that situation, would AMEX just pay the base price and tell you to go buy a new one? I can't imagine...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2011, 02:43:28 AM »
They obviously won't pay more than the cost of the item...they're not stupid!
Nor will they pay for more than you charged on their card.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dwkl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA lifetime platinum
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »
Quite possible. I was just talking about my experience which was asking about going from Platinum to Zync.

Edit: and looks like I am wrong. Per this page, Purchase Protection is actually on all Membership Rewards cards, but coverage for lost items is only on the Platinum card.
coverage for lost items gives you a lot of coverage unless their are lots of clauses and exclusions ?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2011, 12:29:07 PM »
coverage for lost items gives you a lot of coverage unless their are lots of clauses and exclusions ?
It's only for 90 days.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 10:14:15 PM »
Does amex extended warranty work on ebay purchases?

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »
Does amex extended warranty work on ebay purchases?

When I asked them, they told me no

Offline puddles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2012, 04:52:41 PM »
hopefully someone can clarify this for me.  I have searched and not found a concrete answer to whether Refurb (which has a one year warranty) is covered under amex expended warranty. Before you answer please find me a source from Amex.

Offline puddles

• View Profile
Amex Warranty Updated
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »
I know there are numerous posts on this topic but the last time I posted no one responded. Mods can feel free to move this to another post if you would like.
I bought an Apple iPad over a year ago REFURBISHED from apple. in the last few weeks the iPad's battery has been steadily decreasing as well as some apps crashing etc. I called Amex, opened a claim and they told me that I would need my original receipt as well as a repair estimate from the manufacturer. I went to the apple store and they said they do this all the time and it wouldn't be an issue. They ran a diagnostic report for me, said my batter needs to be replaced and that I would benefit from a new iPad since it has not been working so well. The price of a new (or Refurb, i am not sure) from them would be $300 if I were to give them my old one.
Obviously, I was nervous my claim would be rejected since I bought it Refurbished. I scoured forums, blogs, Amex website etc to find an exclusion for Refurb but was unable to find anything. All i found was verbiage of the item being "like new".
Great news is this morning my claim was approved! I thought this would be a great tip for everyone that buying Refurb on an Amex should give you the extra warranty period!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Amex Warranty Updated
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »
Congrats!

<3 AmEx warranties.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »
I know there are numerous posts on this topic but the last time I posted no one responded. Mods can feel free to move this to another post if you would like.
I bought an Apple iPad over a year ago REFURBISHED from apple. in the last few weeks the iPad's battery has been steadily decreasing as well as some apps crashing etc. I called Amex, opened a claim and they told me that I would need my original receipt as well as a repair estimate from the manufacturer. I went to the apple store and they said they do this all the time and it wouldn't be an issue. They ran a diagnostic report for me, said my batter needs to be replaced and that I would benefit from a new iPad since it has not been working so well. The price of a new (or Refurb, i am not sure) from them would be $300 if I were to give them my old one.
Obviously, I was nervous my claim would be rejected since I bought it Refurbished. I scoured forums, blogs, Amex website etc to find an exclusion for Refurb but was unable to find anything. All i found was verbiage of the item being "like new".
Great news is this morning my claim was approved! I thought this would be a great tip for everyone that buying Refurb on an Amex should give you the extra warranty period!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Dan already mentioned  here that it's typically excluded, so either something changed or you got lucky.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2012, 11:06:34 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience, Dan already mentioned  here that it's typically excluded, so either something changed or you got lucky.

I wonder why he said that...

I, too, (having just checked) was unable to find anything about refurbs in the extended warranty T&C.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 11:07:19 AM »
I, too, (having just checked) was unable to find anything about refurbs in the extended warranty T&C.

Might've changed since.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2012, 11:08:10 AM »
Might've changed since.

Seems it has, unless I'm missing something. Also, just notices his post was from 2009.

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2012, 11:17:02 AM »
Its for that reason that I posted this. I wanted everyone to know this might have changed. Also, my receipt from Apple clearly states Refurbished

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2012, 11:17:20 AM »
Congrats!

<3 AmEx warranties.
<3 AmEx warranties... What does that mean?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »
<3 AmEx warranties... What does that mean?

Hehe...

<3 = ♥

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »
Hehe...

<3 = ♥
ahhhh. Yes, trust me there is nothing better. I am just waiting to see if they want me to do anything else. Also, the repair estimate was 299 and they gave me about 325... any explanation for that?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 11:24:19 AM »
ahhhh. Yes, trust me there is nothing better. I am just waiting to see if they want me to do anything else. Also, the repair estimate was 299 and they gave me about 325... any explanation for that?

Once they pay you, I'm pretty sure you can celebrate as there's nothing left to do IME.

As for the $325, is that, by chance, how much you paid for iPad originally?

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Amex Warranty Updated
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »
299+ tax?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.