Author Topic: hyatt points for a wedding in a hyatt  (Read 9239 times)

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
hyatt points for a wedding in a hyatt
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:51:51 AM »
My sister in law is getting married in a hyatt i want to make sure my in-laws get as many points as they can does anyone know how this works

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: hyatt points for a wedding in a hyatt
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:37:37 AM »
My sister in law is getting married in a hyatt i want to make sure my in-laws get as many points as they can does anyone know how this works

You mean more than paying for it on a Hyatt CC?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:41:44 AM »
I think hes trying to get the points for each room thats going to be used.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:41:55 AM »

Mazal Tov!

If they're negotiating with the hotel, perhaps they should first get the hotel to the lowest price, then ask them to throw in some points. I'm hypothesizing, no experience at all with this.

Those are spend points earned from the CC, not the hotel. It's a good suggestion though.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:51:16 AM »
I think hes trying to get the points for each room thats going to be used.

Ah. I wonder if one can just put in the same GP# into all of the RSVPs...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:17:31 AM »
Ah. I wonder if one can just put in the same GP# into all of the RSVPs...

Don't they check for matching names?

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »
Don't they check for matching names?
This is from TPG regarding weddings:

Do Weddings Qualify?

A lot of people want to know whether or not weddings qualify as meetings, and like many things in the world of meetings, the answer is: it depends. If you are planning on getting married at a hotel, the answer is almost always yes. In fact, many chains and individual properties run special wedding promotions, sometimes involving 100,000 points or more for the happy couple. However, if you are trying to reserve a block of rooms in connection with a wedding elsewhere, the equation changes. Hotel sales managers are very wise to the fact that weddings often cancel for a variety of reasons. So wise, actually, that a lot of properties will outright refuse to sign a contract with you because the risks are too high, and instead will offer you a “courtesy hold” on a block of rooms. In this case, whether or not the block qualifies as a meeting will be at the discretion of the sales manager.

Who Gets the Points?

You have probably heard horror stories from people who attended conferences or events and reported back that they were not allowed to keep their points, and that is often the case. When it comes to earning points for room blocks, the relationship between meeting planners and the people staying in the rooms is almost always: whoever pays gets the points.

If the rooms all go on a single bill, called a “master account,” the meeting planner gets the points. If the people staying in the rooms pay for them individually, they get the points. In future posts, I’ll talk about splitting points between people, and what to do if you work for a company that prohibits you from collecting points. But for now you should assume that whoever pays gets them. This is obviously important to keep in mind when booking your event, and sales managers will always ask whether the rooms are to be billed to a master account or paid for individually. I am aware of only one exception to this rule and it’s Marriott. They allow meeting planners to earn points on the total cost of the room block, even when people pay for their rooms individually.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:33:40 AM »
Thanks for the tips

Offline Afight4ever

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »
i went to a friends wedding and booked several rooms under my hilton diamond number. i got the credit and the points. they got a suit upgrade and nice service.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 11:36:32 AM »
i went to a friends wedding and booked several rooms under my hilton diamond number. i got the credit and the points. they got a suit upgrade and nice service.

But your name was also on those bookings, right?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 12:42:34 PM »
AsherO IME Hilton doesn't require the names to match. I have credited a stay to someone else's HH acct who wasn't even present and it wasn't an issue at all
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline MLM

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:54 PM »
Made a wedding at a Westin during triple weekend and put all charges on the room. Was told I would get 2 base x 3 for promo total is  6 Pts also 2 gold bonus and paid on Spg card so another 2 spend. Total 9 points per dollar.

In the end the hotel only gave me 1 point per dollar on the wedding and cc gave me 2. Still fighting they said even though it was posted to the room it was catering which was excluded. They said I was only entitled to 1 point for every $3 spent and they went above that an gave me 1 for every $1.

Any advice on who to talk to get more is appreciated!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »
Always get stuff like that in writing...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MLM

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »
Always get stuff like that in writing...

100% but what do I do now?

Offline mb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 12:40:32 PM »
A friend of mine has an upcoming wedding at a Westin - Starwood property.  They will be charging approximately $200,000 on their credit card for the wedding, hotel rooms, etc. on their hotel bill.  What is the best card to use for this charge?  (by the way, they also negotiated to get 100,000 starwood points, which are not included in any points they get for the credit card charge of 200g)

Thanks.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »
A friend of mine has an upcoming wedding at a Westin - Starwood property.  They will be charging approximately $200,000 on their credit card for the wedding, hotel rooms, etc. on their hotel bill.  What is the best card to use for this charge?  (by the way, they also negotiated to get 100,000 starwood points, which are not included in any points they get for the credit card charge of 200g)

Thanks.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say... AMEX SPG?  ;)

You will receive two Starpoints® from American Express and two Starpoints (or three Starpoints if you have Starwood Preferred Guest® elite status) from the Starwood Preferred Guest Program for each U.S. dollar of Eligible Spending charged on your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express at participating Starwood properties, standalone retail establishments, and online stores that, in each case, are wholly owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc, and its affiliates. Starwood associates do not receive any additional Starpoints as a Starwood Preferred Guest member for hotel stays and spend.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 12:44:27 PM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say... AMEX SPG?  ;)
Yup, of course.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
yeA but who has anywhere near a 200k cl on an amex spg

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 12:47:57 PM »
yeA but who has anywhere near a 200k cl on an amex spg

Probably not many people. But in any case, it should be the first card maxed out.

Also, you may be able to work with the hotel where you charge X-thousand, pay it off, they charge another X-thousand, pay it off, rinse, lather, repeat, until the balance is paid off in a matter of days.