Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2348843 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #6701 on: March 26, 2017, 08:09:58 PM »
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: March 26, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »
I belong to a union and I am not a big fan of them but this is why they are needed.

wait. I thought you were a MS for parnossah cat.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #6703 on: March 26, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »
I belong to a union and I am not a big fan of them but this is why they are needed.

I don't think it's the Unions that are needed. I think OSHA is dropping the ball and giving slap on the wrist fines.

This is one area where I think even libertarians, that advocate for small government, would agree that it is the government's role to set AND STRONGLY ENFORCE (real) safety rules (to the exclusion of senseless speed limits that have nothing to do with safety, and everything with generating revenue).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:26:00 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: March 26, 2017, 08:27:46 PM »
I don't think it's the Unions that are needed. I think OSHA is dropping the ball and giving slap on the wrist fines.
Their fines are a joke but they don't have a lot of power. With out the unions backing the workers are afraid and do stupid things like in this case. If someone gets hurts at our place IMHO it is 100% their fault.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #6705 on: March 26, 2017, 08:33:42 PM »
Their fines are a joke but they don't have a lot of power. With out the unions backing the workers are afraid and do stupid things like in this case. If someone gets hurts at our place IMHO it is 100% their fault.
Just shows you how backwards things are. Ask an accountant what happens to a business that fails to obtain required Worker's Compensation coverage, even in a very low risk clerical occupation.

So the DOL has power (with draconian penalties, regardless of risk) but OSHA has no power, even in high risk occupations?

Sounds just like the speed limits. If they would care about safety, they would install speed bumps, or use other means to make roads naturally slower. But they care about revenue, not safety!
-- Dan

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: March 26, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
Seems like can be dealt with in tort law.  If convince jury that company is being reckless too save money,  should get a large enough verdict to undo the savings

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: March 26, 2017, 08:48:39 PM »
Seems like can be dealt with in tort law.  If convince jury that company is being reckless too save money,  should get a large enough verdict to undo the savings
In this case I hate to say it but it seems the worker was being reckless.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: March 26, 2017, 08:50:51 PM »
Did you read through the article? Didn't seem to help here.

Also, why wait until after the tragedies occur? Those large verdicts won't bring back lives or lost limbs! What price would you be willing to accept in order to lose a limb (or even just a finger)?

OSHA'S job is to prevent unsafe work environments.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:56:55 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: March 26, 2017, 08:54:38 PM »
In this case I hate to say it but it seems the worker was being reckless.
Not sure which one of the cases in the article you are referring to.

From the article it seems like the plants lacked appropriate training, staff, procedures, etc.

Where's the public outcry like the one's we hear about apparel manufacturers, or others with unsafe supply chains?
-- Dan

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: March 26, 2017, 09:00:26 PM »
Not sure which one of the cases in the article you are referring to.

From the article it seems like the plants lacked appropriate training, staff, procedures, etc.

Where's the public outcry like the one's we hear about apparel manufacturers, or others with unsafe supply chains?
I am talking about the girl getting crushed by the robotic arm. I don't mean to sound cold but she had no business trying to fix it. I understand she did it because she was under pressure to meet quota. The company is not required to train every employee on lockout/tagout procedure.

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: March 27, 2017, 11:17:07 AM »
Did you read through the article? Didn't seem to help here.

Also, why wait until after the tragedies occur? Those large verdicts won't bring back lives or lost limbs! What price would you be willing to accept in order to lose a limb (or even just a finger)?

OSHA'S job is to prevent unsafe work environments.

I did not read it.

But if a court didn't agree after weeks of expert testimony, why should I stick my head in?

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: March 27, 2017, 02:37:47 PM »
I did not read it.

But if a court didn't agree after weeks of expert testimony, why should I stick my head in?
Where I am disagreeing with you is whether this should be a tort law issue, or a regulatory issue.

Tort law (if I understand correctly) could address issues AFTER THE FACT, whereas the regulatory/supervisory regime is about avoiding (or minimizing) the tragedies.

The penalties for not providing/maintaining adequate safety procedures, training, etc. should be steep, and include jail time in certain instances. If the owners/managers of the plants reported in the article were to face mandatory jail time, I am sure the working environment would turn much safer (or we would lose the jobs to countries where human lives are unimportant, and it's cheaper to do business, unless we enforce it throughout the supply chain down to the consumer product).
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: March 28, 2017, 04:58:23 PM »
It's based in Alabama?

It's not so fast, whoever it is, and wherever it is based, had to come to the municipalities with a presentation, then they have to enact laws, and only once those "hurdles" are crossed, do they begin installing the cameras cash registers, and they all enjoy the money flowing in.
I allowed a family member from OOT to use my car last week, and got a notice in the mail yesterday (42mph in 30mph zone - Linden BLVD which should really be at least 35mph based on it's layout).

In any event, my takeaway from the notice was the it's not based in Alabama, but rather in Arizona (see ATSOL.com and remember the name James D. Tuton, when he appears on a Forbes list, remember his genius in how he made his money).
-- Dan

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: March 28, 2017, 06:36:25 PM »
I allowed a family member from OOT to use my car last week, and got a notice in the mail yesterday (42mph in 30mph zone - Linden BLVD which should really be at least 35mph based on it's layout).

In any event, my takeaway from the notice was the it's not based in Alabama, but rather in Arizona (see ATSOL.com and remember the name James D. Tuton, when he appears on a Forbes list, remember his genius in how he made his money).
IIRC Linden still has 35MPH signs. If that is the case then you're allowed 45 by law before camera ticket.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #6717 on: March 30, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
another good reason to keep kosher while traveling: https://www.popsugar.com/food/Gordon-Ramsay-Least-Favorite-Food-43370658
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.