Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2348083 times)

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Online zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #6101 on: January 19, 2017, 10:58:16 PM »

Offline elit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: January 19, 2017, 11:22:07 PM »
Good point which only goes to illustrate that this isn't about the cause, it's about wanting to be morally outraged. Some people get their moral outrage fix by being religious fundamentalists, some get it by being liberals, rationalists, intellectuals, etc. What the Meiah Shaarim stone thrower and the secular, humanist, social justice warrior have in common is that they would both rather be outraged than to actually work along side of people who don't think like them in order to fix problems.

It's like the vort about machatzis hashekel. The middle letter is the tzadik, the inner two letters are cha"i and the outer two letters are mei"s.
Beautifully articulated.
Yeah, go to a baseball game, eat some treifos and neveilas in a bun, kill yourself in the parking lot. Sounds like a typical gentile outing. S'shver tzu zein a Yid.

Offline elit

• View Profile

Offline elit

• View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: January 20, 2017, 01:10:27 AM »
Who thinks Manning was 100% right?
I know I've said otherwise and didn't see others say Manning is innocent.

I hope this is not another straw man.
I stand corrected you did not say that.

Lets see if I have this part right. You believe in what he did? You also believe we need more whistleblowers like him? You think we should make it easier for whistleblowers?

So back to may question. If the government does illegal activity but it stops a terrorist act are you OK with that? Do we need them to do more of that and make it easier for them?

I think this the first time you accused me of a straw man. You normally go with trolling.  :)
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: January 20, 2017, 02:43:14 AM »

If he will give me an exemption to be able to eat lobster I would sign up tomorrow.  :)
why are you so sure it's a "he"?

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: January 20, 2017, 05:32:03 AM »
why are you so sure it's a "he"?
Safe bet?
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: January 20, 2017, 07:05:51 AM »
Safe bet?

Not if it* gives a heter for  a jew to eat lobster.

*I am not verse in gender neutral second person pronouns.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: January 20, 2017, 07:49:31 AM »
Lets see if I have this part right. You believe in what he did? You also believe we need more whistleblowers like him? You think we should make it easier for whistleblowers?

So back to may question. If the government does illegal activity but it stops a terrorist act are you OK with that? Do we need them to do more of that and make it easier for them?

I think Manning was a bit careless with what he leaked and crosssed the line. That being said, people are complicated- Manning did both good and bad with his leaks, and I would like other whistleblowers to continue leaking "good" info and not get punished for it. Manning on the other hand, seems like he was punished for the bad but never credited for the good he has done for this country, until now.

To answer your 2nd question, no, the ends don't justify the means. If you have to commit illegal acts  while trampling on the rights granted to citizens in the Constituion to potentially stop terrorists, then the terrosits have already won by causing citizens to lose part of their freeedom. Whistleblowing -though usually considered illegal by those being exposed- if done right, is essentially giving Americans their freedom that they were constitutionally promised. And I may be a bit extreme, but I do believe in collateral damage here. If the only way to protect Americans freedom is by putting some people in risky positions, so be it. We Americans have never worried about fighting or risking our lives to protect our freedom.
Visibly Jewish

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: January 20, 2017, 07:58:10 AM »
To answer your 2nd question, no, the ends don't justify the means. If you have to commit illegal acts  while trampling on the rights granted to citizens in the Constituion to potentially stop terrorists, then the terrosits have already won by causing citizens to lose part of their freeedom. Whistleblowing -though usually considered illegal by those being exposed- if done right, is essentially giving Americans their freedom that they were constitutionally promised. And I may be a bit extreme, but I do believe in collateral damage here. If the only way to protect Americans freedom is by putting some people in risky positions, so be it. We Americans have never worried about fighting or risking our lives to protect our freedom.
I appreciate the straightforward answer. Not saying this is where you got it from but it is right out of the ACLU playbook.

If the government taps my phone and catches a terrorist then so be it. Also Manning violated the personal liberties of many individuals.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #6112 on: January 20, 2017, 07:58:48 AM »

Who said that a Jew can eat lobster?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: January 20, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »

No need to go there. We are just messing around.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: January 20, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »
I appreciate the straightforward answer. Not saying this is where you got it from but it is right out of the ACLU playbook.

If the government taps my phone and catches a terrorist then so be it. Also Manning violated the personal liberties of many individuals.

I don't care who my views align with, even though I'm no fan of Obama or the ACLU.
The problem with tapping phones and intercepting emails and all communications isn't just about you and me. Do you believe that reporters -who are integral to keeping America free- should be illegally spied on? https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-rare-peek-into-a-justice-department-leak-probe/2013/05/19/0bc473de-be5e-11e2-97d4-a479289a31f9_story.html?tid=pm_pop

Do you think activists like MLK would have been so successful if the government was tapping into all his communications?

Regarding Manning, once again, I don't think he should have leaked everything, putting people in risky positions for no reason. But whatever good info he shared, who did he risk? Soldiers that already promised to defend the freedom of the country even if it means dying? Spies that have promised the same? I may even argue, that it's the government, not the whistleblower that puts these people at risk. So you don't want enemies to know that soldiers or something secret is situated at point XYZ? How about not committing war crimes at XYZ? By committing war crimes they are essentially giving witnesses the moral right of reporting those crimes and proving it with evidence.
Visibly Jewish

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #6115 on: January 22, 2017, 03:05:17 AM »
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/20/news/obama-pension/index.html

"Carter doesn't get health insurance because you have to work for the federal government for five years to qualify."

Seriously?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: January 23, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »

Offline yitz1000

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: January 23, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
We are in good hands knowing they have their priorities in order.
I voted Trump and I have high hopes for what he'll potentially do to fix all that's broken from #44 but IMHO, this guy made the new administration look like babbling idiots on the defensive.

Some things need to be largely ignored in order not to be legitimized.

"THERE WERE MORE PEOPLE AT THIS INAUGURATION THAN EVER BEFORE. THE GRASS WAS COVERED..." Yada yada.

I think he would've done better by saying we don't have the time to waste on this (or Dippin dots).

Pleaaaaase! We have a country to fix here.

Just my opinion..

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: January 23, 2017, 07:29:11 PM »
I voted Trump and I have high hopes for what he'll potentially do to fix all that's broken from #44 but IMHO, this guy made the new administration look like babbling idiots on the defensive.

Some things need to be largely ignored in order not to be legitimized.

"THERE WERE MORE PEOPLE AT THIS INAUGURATION THAN EVER BEFORE. THE GRASS WAS COVERED..." Yada yada.

I think he would've done better by saying we don't have the time to waste on this (or Dippin dots).

Pleaaaaase! We have a country to fix here.

Just my opinion..

Well said.
I think they got over it by now.
Visibly Jewish