Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2347459 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #8620 on: March 11, 2018, 02:31:18 PM »
Why would you comment about an article when it's clear you haven't read it?
ROFL
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: March 11, 2018, 03:00:54 PM »
Why would you comment about an article when it's clear you haven't read it?
I made a tangential, pertinent, intelligent observation related to the current political issues.
My point was based on my vast experience working with businesses importing and manufacturing products in China.

If you have any comments related to my comment to post, please go ahead and we can discuss. Otherwise go away.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #8622 on: March 11, 2018, 03:35:10 PM »
I made a tangential, pertinent, intelligent observation related to the current political issues.
My point was based on my vast experience working with businesses importing and manufacturing products in China.

If you have any comments related to my comment to post, please go ahead and we can discuss. Otherwise go away.

Does the article show us anything about North Korea? How about  gun control? Those are also current political issues.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: March 11, 2018, 05:23:36 PM »
I was referring to this and later comments, not your first one
It's a silly article explaining that sneakers cost $2 to make in china. What's the point
That was exactly the opposite of what the author was saying

Online yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: March 11, 2018, 05:47:32 PM »
Competitive advantage. Lol. They work for free. Compete with that?

We have labor laws and slavery was abolished. They don't.
We depend on this.

Believe it or not, the US still exports goods to the rest of the world, including China. I agree that some manufacturing jobs are gone forever, but in cases where the US is still able to compete if there is a level playing field, they should be protecting those jobs with equal tariffs. And something you may not believe- not only are the Chinese willing to pay a mark up for US products, they also pay a huge markup for US branded products that are manufactured in China. American companies have far higher standards (and it's also trendy to buy non-Chinese brands) so it kinda makes sense.
Visibly Jewish

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #8625 on: March 11, 2018, 05:47:37 PM »
I was referring to this and later comments, not your first oneThat was exactly the opposite of what the author was saying
Ok, that was a response to someone who was harrassing me about some random article.
Sorry

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
-- Dan

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: March 12, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »
how to get around paywall?
Amex to woo retailers with biggest fee cut in 20 years
New chief pushes for higher revenues by opening up more venues for customers

Alistair Gray in New York YESTERDAY 14
American Express is planning to cut the fees it charges retailers and other businesses by more than it has done in two decades, as its new chief executive pushes more outlets to accept its cards.

About 1.3m fewer locations in the US allow consumers to pay with Amex than Visa and MasterCard, mainly because it takes a bigger cut of customer payments. The gap is even wider overseas.

Meanwhile, authorities from Europe to Australia have taken a tougher line on card charges. In the US, the Supreme Court is considering an antitrust complaint. The company denies its practices breach antitrust rules.

At a presentation for investors in New York last week, the company said the global average of the fees it charges merchants — known as its discount rate — would decline five or six basis points this year, to about 2.37 per cent.

Each basis point is equivalent to about 11 cents of earnings per share, said Don Fandetti of Wells Fargo Securities.

A fall of six points this year would be the steepest since at least 1998, company filings show. The typical decline in previous years has been between one and three points.

Stephen Squeri, who became chief executive last month, is prepared to forgo as much as $585m in margins this year, according to Financial Times calculations based on analyst projections, as he pushes for higher revenues by opening up more venues at which customers can spend.

The fee cuts for 2018, which are about double previous guidance, are the latest sign of competitive and regulatory pressures on the biggest US consumer finance company by market value.

American Express is facing questions from Wall Street about competition from US banks, which use the rival payment networks Visa or MasterCard. Big-spending Americans have flocked to premium cards issued by banks.

While Amex’s fee margins have eroded steadily for years, the more aggressive reductions suggest the group is breaking from the era of Kenneth Chenault, the company’s 17-year veteran chief executive. Mr Squeri has told investors he is willing to make “conscious trade-offs” to encourage more businesses to take Amex.

Lower charges would be welcomed by consumer-facing businesses, but retailers remain sceptical. Smaller merchants that lacked bargaining clout were particularly reluctant to accept Amex, said Doug Kantor, partner at the law firm Steptoe & Johnson, who represents the Merchants Payments Coalition.

“Any reduction in the fees help — but American Express, and all the major networks, have a long way to go,” he said.

John Hecht, consumer finance analyst at the investment bank Jefferies, said: “Retailers have become really aggressive at pushing back.”

Amex’s corporate partners — the company has tie-ups with Delta, Hilton and other brands — are also demanding more favourable terms, he added.

Mr Squeri has suggested that further declines are on the horizon. “Is five to six the new norm? Or is it two to three? That may go year to year, depending on the opportunities that present themselves.”

“If I put my optimistic hat on, it’s a lever to drive more business, and that’s good,” Mr Fandetti said of the lowered fees. “The bearish case is that they’re in secular decline … and it will be a headwind to revenue growth.”

American Express has long operated a different model to banks. It is more reliant on merchant fees while banks collect more from interest on customer balances.

However, Mr Squeri made clear that he planned to do more lending. Interest generated almost a fifth of the group’s $33.5bn revenues in 2017.

“More places for our card members to use our products means more revenues — from both spending and lending,” he said.

American Express said it was already shrinking the coverage gap with other networks. About 1.5m more places in the US started accepting its cards last year.

Executives are pursuing utilities, healthcare companies and public sector bodies, which are less likely to allow consumers to pay with Amex cards

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: March 12, 2018, 05:16:39 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-12/amazon-is-said-to-seek-office-supply-dominance-with-credit-card

I wonder how different it'll be from an Ink or the Amazon credit cards already in existence. 5x unlimited ur points would be clutch.
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: March 12, 2018, 08:12:17 PM »

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: March 13, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »
Nice
Good to know. You need to sign the ticket under the trusts name..

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: March 13, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »
ye. ill make sure to keep it in mind

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile