Author Topic: Using someone's status to Checkin  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Tommy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Using someone's status to Checkin
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:16:06 AM »
I had an idea that I'm sure someone here has done and wanted to see if it is possible.  I'm wondering if it's possible to have someone register for a hotel room with their card because they have higher status to get the potential upgrade and benefits. 

Say for example, I have a reservation for 3 nights at a Hilton and since I have silver status and someone has Diamond status.  If I add their name and card number under my reservation would the room/reservation automatically qualify for Diamond status benefits including upgrades? 

The benefits I see is I would get potentially an upgraded room and the person's status that I borrow would get the miles and stay. 

Is this a good option or is it better to just keep the points and stay on my card to accumulate higher status? 

Offline Charles The Govenor

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
Re: Using someone's status to Checkin
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:25:16 AM »
oldest trick in the books.

Offline Tommy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:28:35 AM »
So can I assume this works then? For people that are staying at hotels that they normally don't stay at, isn't this a better strategy to get upgraded?

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:18:02 AM »
As mentioned above, this trick existed already before hotels were invented.

Say you are called X, and your friend with the "good" card is call Mr Y (Mr, because he has this card).

Mr Y will book a hotel under his name, + you X.

You X, can show up at the hotel together with XX.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:12:45 PM »
 It doesnt always work, at times the Hotel will hold back on the goodies until the person with the Status actually shows up, while other times they will give whatever the person with the status was gonna get anyway.

the odds are you will get the goodies but its not 100%

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 05:52:00 AM »
It doesnt always work, at times the Hotel will hold back on the goodies until the person with the Status actually shows up, while other times they will give whatever the person with the status was gonna get anyway.

the odds are you will get the goodies but its not 100%

Say I'm checking in the hotel, and some other guy used his elite plus card for the booking (if I have another guy with me, I tell him to stay away from the reception at this time), I will pretend that the elite plus guy is also staying in the room, but is coming from a different flight, and has not arrived yet.

This should do it.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 09:25:13 AM »
Say I'm checking in the hotel, and some other guy used his elite plus card for the booking (if I have another guy with me, I tell him to stay away from the reception at this time), I will pretend that the elite plus guy is also staying in the room, but is coming from a different flight, and has not arrived yet.

This should do it.

We can come up with the all ways we want that we feel should work, but they dont always do so.

A friend was heading to Kawaii with 2 nights in HNL on the way back. She wanted to stay at the Hilton Vacation Village since another friend with their kids were

I made the res using my name and hers gave her my Amex HH CC and she felt all she had to do was tell them her husband will be flying in from LA to meet them later taht night.

She was Refused all the Diamond benefits including Upgrade.Lounge access, and free breakfast and was told that once her husband arrives they will more then switch rooms etc etc but till then sorry Nothing.

The reason the last names werent the same was simple she told them for Professional reasons she kept her maiden name. She went back to them a couple of times when she saw someone else was at the desk, no go whatsoever. Of cause my flight was cancelled due to weather so I missed the connecting flight to HNL.

It also happened a couple of times at City locations. doesnt it always not work, nope but then again its not Fail Safe either. As longa s you dont go with a Yamulka and try it or as long as they wont know you are Jewish , no problem trying to do it. But if you look Religious or your wife does, IMO, Its NOT worth the possible Hillil HaShem to grab a couple of nice beenies. it will cost you way too much in the end thats even if they give it to You, as all you need is 1 person to say or think, get aload of those Jews always trying to find a way to get things that arent coming to them.

Now why isnt said or thought when a Goy does it, you got me but ask yourself is it worth it if a HH is done, if you feel its worth it then do it. Ive stopped giving out my CCs and Elite Cards to anyone else

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 03:23:11 PM »
Duno, by me it works so far always, I have a black yarmulke, and that's about it.

Maybe with a triple stroller, crying kids, and you looking like you are between the mikva and shacharis, you are right.

If you look neat, are polite, and make as if its the most normal thing in the world, it should work.

Nothing is guaranteed, but if you show up alone for a double room booking, I don't see why they would give you a headache.