Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 68719 times)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4134
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Law School
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 06:06:56 PM »
1 doesn't make sense, IMO - what good is the study if it doesn't a) only in NY, and b) doesn't indicate so?

2 I largely agree... My advice is, and has been, if you don't a) get into a t-14 school, and/or b) get a full scholarship, stay away from law school.
If you look at that websites study there are non T14 schools that have better job rate then T14. Is it worth applying to those or just stick to T14?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 06:11:01 PM »
If you look at that websites study there are non T14 schools that have better job rate then T14. Is it worth applying to those or just stick to T14?

If you want to have a chance at getting a Biglaw (top-paying) job, you're usually better off at a T14 school.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »
If you want to have a chance at getting a Biglaw (top-paying) job, you're usually better off at a T14 school.

+1

Definitely worth applying, see option "b" above :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 06:35:03 PM »
Definitely worth applying, see option "b" above :)
what's better a T14 or full ride at say Fordham?

Offline yaakov s

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 08:19:24 PM »
T14. As always there are exceptions to the rule

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Law School
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 08:22:08 PM »
T14. As always there are exceptions to the rule
Rarely
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline yid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 08:52:16 PM »
1 doesn't make sense, IMO - what good is the study if it doesn't a) only in NY, and b) doesn't indicate so?

2 I largely agree... My advice is, and has been, if you don't a) get into a t-14 school, and/or b) get a full scholarship, stay away from law school.
+1

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
Re: Re: Law School
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 11:12:44 PM »
Rarely
that's why it's called an exception  ;)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 09:39:57 AM »

I'd say it depends on a) which t-14, and b) where you want to practice.

Example: if you get into Duke (with no scholarship), and Fordham with a full ride, and want to practice in NYC, that's a pretty tough question.

If it's t-5 or 6, take it and run.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 10:22:56 AM »
Besides, Fordham officially does not give out full rides. Unless it's changed recently.

Several of my friends were offered more money at higher ranked schools as compared to Fordham's offer.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 11:18:04 AM »
I would also add that although your chances of landing big-law at the top ranked schools are far better than at lower tiered schools, it is still a hustle to land the job.

I know several classmates at Columbia who struck out at the 2L EIP/On Campus Interview Program for summer associate positions. This is usually the only window of opportunity to get into big law, as interviews for 3Ls are far more limited.

Moreover, although I did not personally have such an experience, many with "heimishe" undergraduate degrees such as Talmudic Studies, Religious Studies etc. have told me that they found that their interview experience was unsuccessful.

That being said, looking for a job out of Columbia as a 3L seems to be a far more promising process than at other schools. I just want people to understand that you can not expect to walk into big law by default just by attending Columbia or similar schools.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »
+1, and that is especially true in this economy

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »
I would also add that although your chances of landing big-law at the top ranked schools are far better than at lower tiered schools, it is still a hustle to land the job.

I know several classmates at Columbia who struck out at the 2L EIP/On Campus Interview Program for summer associate positions. This is usually the only window of opportunity to get into big law, as interviews for 3Ls are far more limited.

Moreover, although I did not personally have such an experience, many with "heimishe" undergraduate degrees such as Talmudic Studies, Religious Studies etc. have told me that they found that their interview experience was unsuccessful.

That being said, looking for a job out of Columbia as a 3L seems to be a far more promising process than at other schools. I just want people to understand that you can not expect to walk into big law by default just by attending Columbia or similar schools.
Could be more the personality then the degree. Often , these people while smart , don't have the same command of the language skills and social interaction know how , compared to  someone who lived it for many years

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »
Could be more the personality then the degree. Often , these people while smart , don't have the same command of the language skills and social interaction know how , compared to  someone who lived it for many years
Interesting. Although I'd venture to say Chabad guys have an edge because of mivtzoim and being used to striking up a conversation with a stranger who is often a successful professional...

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 11:58:14 AM »
Many law students are coming straight out of undergrad with no work experience, and are equally if not more socially awkward as their yeshiva educated peers.