Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 398301 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #1760 on: February 20, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »
@henche Will it hurt my application for next year? Are you currently in Penn?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:15:41 PM by Thingywingy »
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: February 20, 2017, 02:39:33 PM »
@JJ and other Penn students:Their website lists March 1st as the application deadline but also lists March 15th as the deadline to complete the application. Anyone know what is included in the latter deadline?

I was there a few years ago. I recall that you can access new applications only until March 1. An accessed application must be completed by March 15. Getting all the application materials together may take a couple days, so they give the extra time. I may be corrected by someone with more recent experience though.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1762 on: February 20, 2017, 02:42:24 PM »
I was there a few years ago. I recall that you can access new applications only until March 1. An accessed application must be completed by March 15. Getting all the application materials together may take a couple days, so they give the extra time. I may be corrected by someone with more recent experience though.
That sounds right to me.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: February 20, 2017, 03:03:27 PM »
@JJ and other Penn students:Their website lists March 1st as the application deadline but also lists March 15th as the deadline to complete the application. Anyone know what is included in the latter deadline?
As others have said, I would think about waiting another year to apply and submitting on the day that applications opens. Chances aren't great if you apply this late in the game unless you have a killer LSAT score/application.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: February 20, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »
That sounds right to me.
So the LOR's, personal statement, and any additional essays can be added until the 1st?

As others have said, I would think about waiting another year to apply and submitting on the day that applications opens. Chances aren't great if you apply this late in the game unless you have a killer LSAT score/application.
I have heard conflicting reports as to whether applying after getting denied will hurt me. Any thoughts?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Ephcc90

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: February 20, 2017, 09:37:17 PM »
So the LOR's, personal statement, and any additional essays can be added until the 1st?
I have heard conflicting reports as to whether applying after getting denied will hurt me. Any thoughts?
Are you a bubble candidate or do you have killer numbers/app?

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: February 20, 2017, 09:44:37 PM »
Closer to the former.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: February 21, 2017, 06:19:27 AM »
Can't speak from personal experience on this. Sorry.

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: February 26, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
Hi first time poster here. Just spent the last few days reading through the whole thread. Pretty interesting stuff.  ;)
Anyways, I'm a BTL guy starting Columbia this year and as I was reading through I noticed that a few times people mentioned that after a few years you have to transition out of BigLaw, and how that is mostly inevitable and difficult. Can I ask why that is? Even though I assuredly won't make partner, why wouldn't a firm want to keep me as long as I am useful until I am able to leave on my terms?

( I know there is a good chance I am being naive and all that, gettin waaay ahead of myself etc. )

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1769 on: February 26, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »
Hi first time poster here. Just spent the last few days reading through the whole thread. Pretty interesting stuff.  ;)
Anyways, I'm a BTL guy starting Columbia this year and as I was reading through I noticed that a few times people mentioned that after a few years you have to transition out of BigLaw, and how that is mostly inevitable and difficult. Can I ask why that is? Even though I assuredly won't make partner, why wouldn't a firm want to keep me as long as I am useful until I am able to leave on my terms?

( I know there is a good chance I am being naive and all that, gettin waaay ahead of myself etc. )
I hope you do make partner and if you go in with the attitude you won't make partner you'll probably be leaving sooner than later.

But the pay v hours worked is just not a very good lifestyle without that huge bump in salary to partner. You can find similar paying positions for in house or on your own for less hours or better pay.'

But what do I know...

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: February 26, 2017, 01:02:47 PM »
Thanks for the response!
Law is something that I think I would find interesting and stimulating and I would definitely put in any work that is required of me. I think I would work very hard to be as successful as I can be.  But being realistic as a frum Jew  I know my chances of making partner are probably somewhat less than if I wasn't religious. I am OK with that and I will take my chances. However, I have spoken to lawyers who have mentioned to me that once you have the big law on your resume there are many other opportunities that are open to you with better hours like you mentioned. So my question was  is it a environment  that they throw out associates or do you have opportunities to leave on your own terms?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: February 26, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »
Thanks for the response!
Law is something that I think I would find interesting and stimulating and I would definitely put in any work that is required of me. I think I would work very hard to be as successful as I can be.  But being realistic as a frum Jew  I know my chances of making partner are probably somewhat less than if I wasn't religious. I am OK with that and I will take my chances. However, I have spoken to lawyers who have mentioned to me that once you have the big law on your resume there are many other opportunities that are open to you with better hours like you mentioned. So my question was  is it a environment  that they throw out associates or do you have opportunities to leave on your own terms?
They aren't firing associates if that's what your asking. It's just a natural transition when they stop increasing your pay and you work the same hours. Basically after 8 years you either make partner or you keep working with no raise which I think is when most people leave if they didn't already...

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: February 26, 2017, 01:21:18 PM »
They aren't firing associates if that's what your asking. It's just a natural transition when they stop increasing your pay and you work the same hours. Basically after 8 years you either make partner or you keep working with no raise which I think is when most people leave if they didn't already...
But do opportunities tend to arise in big law to switch out?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: February 26, 2017, 02:28:35 PM »
But do opportunities tend to arise in big law to switch out?
I'm sure it depends on the person their connections and area of law.

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: February 26, 2017, 02:31:59 PM »
I'm sure it depends on the person their connections and area of law.
Ok thanks!

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #1775 on: February 26, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
R' JJ's right as to many law firms, but there are more than a handful that dont follow the classic biglaw rules but still pay market. just need to really discriminate and figure out which firm fits your plan. I went to a smaller biglaw place where people are generally more normal/less gunners and we are happy to have and keep people who do good work and make clients happy, even if they dont bring in new business. counsel positions make more than associates, and grow each year basically in line with the associate raise scale, but with bigger bonus opportunities and values for bringing in business (if u do). and if u are really lucky (and this is probably rare and requires special circumstances with rainmakers/imp partners loving u), u can even make equity partner without bringing in your own business, and even with a yarmulke! That will require lots of sacrifice (working all night when needed, going the extra mile for the client to make their job easier etc), but i make much more than most of my inhouse counterparts (based on equiv seniority), and they work prob 2/3s as much as i do. and i dont have a normal 9/5 and can work from home/unlimited vacations etc, being more of a hired gun without 9/5 annoying requirements that inhouse people suffer with.

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: February 26, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »
R' JJ's right as to many law firms, but there are more than a handful that dont follow the classic biglaw rules but still pay market. just need to really discriminate and figure out which firm fits your plan. I went to a smaller biglaw place where people are generally more normal/less gunners and we are happy to have and keep people who do good work and make clients happy, even if they dont bring in new business. counsel positions make more than associates, and grow each year basically in line with the associate raise scale, but with bigger bonus opportunities and values for bringing in business (if u do). and if u are really lucky (and this is probably rare and requires special circumstances with rainmakers/imp partners loving u), u can even make equity partner without bringing in your own business, and even with a yarmulke! That will require lots of sacrifice (working all night when needed, going the extra mile for the client to make their job easier etc), but i make much more than most of my inhouse counterparts (based on equiv seniority), and they work prob 2/3s as much as i do. and i dont have a normal 9/5 and can work from home/unlimited vacations etc, being more of a hired gun without 9/5 annoying requirements that inhouse people suffer with.
That sounds pretty reasonable. But is your experience more of an exception in your firm (or others), or is it something that they would allow most anyone to do provided they put it the quality work that you do?

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #1777 on: February 26, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »
That sounds pretty reasonable. But is your experience more of an exception in your firm (or others), or is it something that they would allow most anyone to do provided they put it the quality work that you do?
I have had lots of crazy luck at my firm, but there are others like mine, and at worst u can move somewhere else where they will value u (depending on practice and market timing). u gotta think of yourself as a rookie looking to be a star on a sports team or something similar (except aging probably helps with experience for a longer period before drop off when u can no longer turn docs overnight). if u do good work and are willing to put in the time (sometimes at the expense of family etc), there will always be a market for u, and u just have to know that and confidently push for what u think your value is. At most non-lockstep firms there are at least a few big rainmakers who recognize when their associates/counsel make the client happy/get the client to give more work and praise. those guys usually have lots of sway in excess of their pure cut of profits and they can push those they feel they need to keep happy to get some of that gravy. To be clear, its not just quality work, its client service, doing everything to make the client's life easier and to make them (the inhouse peeps) look good to their "clients". that means helping on a nonbillable basis where needed, anticipating what they will need before they ask for it etc.

inhouse people in smaller places generally have much less leverage as a cost center, unless/until they push themselves into a stronger business role (esp with corporate lawyers, learning to negotiate all terms of a deal and understanding economics etc, i.e. quitting from the more general inhouse lawyer job) and become a senior exec, which sometimes can be hard and is a much harder "competition" when there is only 1-2 spots. In bigger places, there is a significant fear of being the first cost center and being kicked out right when u join (LIFO) bc the company needs to cut costs, which i saw with a couple friends.

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: February 26, 2017, 03:32:11 PM »
I have had lots of crazy luck at my firm, but there are others like mine, and at worst u can move somewhere else where they will value u (depending on practice and market timing). u gotta think of yourself as a rookie looking to be a star on a sports team or something similar (except aging probably helps with experience for a longer period before drop off when u can no longer turn docs overnight). if u do good work and are willing to put in the time (sometimes at the expense of family etc), there will always be a market for u, and u just have to know that and confidently push for what u think your value is. At most non-lockstep firms there are at least a few big rainmakers who recognize when their associates/counsel make the client happy/get the client to give more work and praise. those guys usually have lots of sway in excess of their pure cut of profits and they can push those they feel they need to keep happy to get some of that gravy. To be clear, its not just quality work, its client service, doing everything to make the client's life easier and to make them (the inhouse peeps) look good to their "clients". that means helping on a nonbillable basis where needed, anticipating what they will need before they ask for it etc.

inhouse people in smaller places generally have much less leverage as a cost center, unless/until they push themselves into a stronger business role (esp with corporate lawyers, learning to negotiate all terms of a deal and understanding economics etc, i.e. quitting from the more general inhouse lawyer job) and become a senior exec, which sometimes can be hard and is a much harder "competition" when there is only 1-2 spots. In bigger places, there is a significant fear of being the first cost center and being kicked out right when u join (LIFO) bc the company needs to cut costs, which i saw with a couple friends.
You knew all this information about your firm before you started working there? You selected to work there over other offers? (With a yamulka)

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: February 26, 2017, 03:40:57 PM »
Hey I'm in at Cls as well. Did you apply ED or you just know already you are attending?