Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 61577 times)

Offline Aerial Dag

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #1755 on: February 16, 2017, 08:42:46 AM »
Yup. Because 99.9% of YLS grads would get Big Law jobs if they actually wanted one (read: had the balls to withstand the public shaming that goes on at YLS for going straight into the private sector).

They're definitely represented in big law. Just look at wachtell, cravath, etc. they have a smaller student body so obviously there will be fewer of them out there.

And as for potus and scotus representing a small portion of the student body, of course that's true but that's because the job openings are so rare. But the fact remains those elite jobs tend to go to Harvard and Yale grads so, again, not sure how you can have a top 5 list and exclude YLS from it.
Not to mention that they have some of the best professors and extremely accomplished students.

Maybe they did the ratings based on neighborhood safety?

Online jj1000

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4133
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1756 on: February 17, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »
Any guys in HLS now?

There is a cool talk on 2/20 by JLSA, being given by my BIL.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:07:36 PM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: February 17, 2017, 03:47:50 PM »
Any guys in HLS now?

Only girls.

You mean ddfers?

Online Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
    • Bill Kristol Taunts Kayleigh McEnany: 'You're Embarrassed To Support Trump'
« Reply #1758 on: February 20, 2017, 12:46:22 PM »
@JJ and other Penn students:Their website lists March 1st as the application deadline but also lists March 15th as the deadline to complete the application. Anyone know what is included in the latter deadline?
A man you wouldn't for a second in your personal life tolerate...a bully...really a man of genuinely bad character...

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: February 20, 2017, 12:56:28 PM »
@JJ and other Penn students:Their website lists March 1st as the application deadline but also lists March 15th as the deadline to complete the application. Anyone know what is included in the latter deadline?

If you apply close to deadline, chances are pretty bad on getting in anyway. They've been mailing out acceptances for months.

Online Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: February 20, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »
@henche Will it hurt my application for next year? Are you currently in Penn?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:15:41 PM by Thingywingy »
A man you wouldn't for a second in your personal life tolerate...a bully...really a man of genuinely bad character...

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: February 20, 2017, 02:39:33 PM »

I was there a few years ago. I recall that you can access new applications only until March 1. An accessed application must be completed by March 15. Getting all the application materials together may take a couple days, so they give the extra time. I may be corrected by someone with more recent experience though.

Online jj1000

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1762 on: February 20, 2017, 02:42:24 PM »
I was there a few years ago. I recall that you can access new applications only until March 1. An accessed application must be completed by March 15. Getting all the application materials together may take a couple days, so they give the extra time. I may be corrected by someone with more recent experience though.
That sounds right to me.

Online CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: February 20, 2017, 03:03:27 PM »
As others have said, I would think about waiting another year to apply and submitting on the day that applications opens. Chances aren't great if you apply this late in the game unless you have a killer LSAT score/application.

Online Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: February 20, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »
That sounds right to me.
So the LOR's, personal statement, and any additional essays can be added until the 1st?

As others have said, I would think about waiting another year to apply and submitting on the day that applications opens. Chances aren't great if you apply this late in the game unless you have a killer LSAT score/application.
I have heard conflicting reports as to whether applying after getting denied will hurt me. Any thoughts?

Offline Ephcc90

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: February 20, 2017, 09:37:17 PM »
So the LOR's, personal statement, and any additional essays can be added until the 1st?
I have heard conflicting reports as to whether applying after getting denied will hurt me. Any thoughts?
Are you a bubble candidate or do you have killer numbers/app?

Online Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: February 20, 2017, 09:44:37 PM »
Closer to the former.

Online CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: February 21, 2017, 06:19:27 AM »
Can't speak from personal experience on this. Sorry.

Offline Cls2020

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: February 26, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
Hi first time poster here. Just spent the last few days reading through the whole thread. Pretty interesting stuff.  ;)
Anyways, I'm a BTL guy starting Columbia this year and as I was reading through I noticed that a few times people mentioned that after a few years you have to transition out of BigLaw, and how that is mostly inevitable and difficult. Can I ask why that is? Even though I assuredly won't make partner, why wouldn't a firm want to keep me as long as I am useful until I am able to leave on my terms?

( I know there is a good chance I am being naive and all that, gettin waaay ahead of myself etc. )

Online jj1000

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: February 26, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »
Hi first time poster here. Just spent the last few days reading through the whole thread. Pretty interesting stuff.  ;)
Anyways, I'm a BTL guy starting Columbia this year and as I was reading through I noticed that a few times people mentioned that after a few years you have to transition out of BigLaw, and how that is mostly inevitable and difficult. Can I ask why that is? Even though I assuredly won't make partner, why wouldn't a firm want to keep me as long as I am useful until I am able to leave on my terms?

( I know there is a good chance I am being naive and all that, gettin waaay ahead of myself etc. )
I hope you do make partner and if you go in with the attitude you won't make partner you'll probably be leaving sooner than later.

But the pay v hours worked is just not a very good lifestyle without that huge bump in salary to partner. You can find similar paying positions for in house or on your own for less hours or better pay.'

But what do I know...