Author Topic: Citi has matched an offer!! (or at least came close)  (Read 6112 times)

Offline joeb1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
Citi has matched an offer!! (or at least came close)
« on: February 16, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »
Not sure what thread this belongs in but i dont think it belongs in retention so here is a new thread.

Well this  is my third experience with citi matching an offer.

1)my first experience came when i applied for the citi preffereed card 50k link on dans site. There was a $125 annual fee that was NOT waived for the first year. A week later citi put out a public offer for the same card with 50k bonus and 1st yr FREE so I called them up and asked them to waive the fee so they said spend 3k and ull get it waived so I paypald 3k and that statement got the fee credited back and than refunded the paypal.

2)i got the hilton card with the 40k bonus on dans site and saw a link for a 50k offer. I smd them and they happily gave me the 10k additional points ( despite the fact that the 50k was targeted to silver members which i was not and i did not even reach the min spending for the 50k offer)

3)TODAY: I had the citi aa visa and couldnt get the amex bec i was an existing card member and they would not budge from allowing me to get that card than recently they started offering the amex to existing cardmembers with a sign up bonus of 25k and $50 credit 9not a great offer) and FREE for as long as you have the visa (which of course the $85 is waived every year thankx to retention)
So I spent the 750 spending and I bought an aa ticket and on this statement I got the 25k and $50 credit. So I called them last nt and asked them to match and they said they will look into it. Than i smd them and here is the response:

Dear joeb1,
Our records show you applied with a promotional offer that included 25,000 bonus miles, a $50.00 statement credit and an additional .2 bonus miles per dollar on purchases for 18 months. We received your request to apply the new account offer to your existing account. Our solicitations are used as a way to encourage new business or to offer an additional account to our customers. Therefore, we are unable to apply the incentives mentioned in your solicitation to your existing account. As a courtesy, we added 20,000 miles to your account. Our adjustment will appear on your next statement.

45k is not bad after $750 spending (and yes I know ppl got 75k a million times but I was unsuccessful several times so I will definitely take the 45k as a consolation prize)

So it seems citi does match a drop. Until of course this is abused like everything else.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Re: Citi has matched an offer!! (or at least came close)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »
When I called about my Citi Dividend card, they gave me an extra $100 due to some other offer they had going on at the time.
Recently, after threatening to cancel, they gave me 5% cb for 6 months on the card.

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »
When I called about my Citi Dividend card, they gave me an extra $100 due to some other offer they had going on at the time.
Recently, after threatening to cancel, they gave me 5% cb for 6 months on the card.
SWEET! Same card (Dividend)?
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Red

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:32:45 PM »
Iv'e had the dividend card open for a few months, the offer I got then was for $150. I tried to see if they would give me anything if I threatened to cancel instead I ending up having the strangest argument with a cs rep. ever. He wanted to transfer me to a certain dept. but claimed he couldn't because they were only open from 6 am to 12 am and being that it was now 5:50 pm CST they were obviously closed (this was about 20 min. ago at 5:10 EST). I tried explaining to him what time it actually was and that even if he had the time right they should still be open. Nothing seemed to penetrate, I could not believe the intelligence of this guy I mean this was even worse than Cap1. I did end up closing the card which I have no need for now anyway. Overall a strange experience.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »
SWEET! Same card (Dividend)?
Yea, but max of $300 of cb every calendar year, unless you go through their mall, in which case it's unlimited.
Now I just need to maximize the $300, but I have more pressing AARP spend to do.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:57:46 PM »
Iv'e had the dividend card open for a few months, the offer I got then was for $150. I tried to see if they would give me anything if I threatened to cancel instead I ending up having the strangest argument with a cs rep. ever. He wanted to transfer me to a certain dept. but claimed he couldn't because they were only open from 6 am to 12 am and being that it was now 5:50 pm CST they were obviously closed (this was about 20 min. ago at 5:10 EST). I tried explaining to him what time it actually was and that even if he had the time right they should still be open. Nothing seemed to penetrate, I could not believe the intelligence of this guy I mean this was even worse than Cap1. I did end up closing the card which I have no need for now anyway. Overall a strange experience.
ROFLM@O thats why I'm willing to pay and keep my plat amex...
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »
I got approved for the Citi AAdvantage Visa Signature Card in Feb. with the 30k offer for spending $750 in 3 months. I recently met it and they gave me the 30k. I sent a SM yesterday asking to match me to 50k and this was their response:
We have added 20,000 AAdvantage miles to your account. Our adjustment will be included with the monthly miles reported on your next statement that will cycle on May 15, 2012.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Citi has matched an offer!! (or at least came close)
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 02:40:16 PM »
I got approved for the Citi AAdvantage Visa Signature Card in Feb. with the 30k offer for spending $750 in 3 months. I recently met it and they gave me the 30k. I sent a SM yesterday asking to match me to 50k and this was their response:
We have added 20,000 AAdvantage miles to your account. Our adjustment will be included with the monthly miles reported on your next statement that will cycle on May 15, 2012.

Good stuff!
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline normallyavoyeur

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Citi AAdvantage Gold - 20K Extra Miles from Secure Message
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »
I know that there are a lot of secure message threads but I think this is somewhat unique.

I signed up for the Citi AAdvantage Gold card, which has a 30k promotion.

I then saw here that there was a 50k promotion for Citi AAdvantage cards, but that the gold card which I signed up for was not on the list (Platinum is on the list, which has a higher annual fee)

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=10923.msg183775#msg183775

I decided to send a secure message anyway to see if they would match it and this is how they responded:

We have added 20,000 bonus miles to honor the offer you have mentioned. Please allow 1-2 billing cycles for those miles to reflect on your statement.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
Citi seems to be rejecting applications. When was the last time you guys applied for a Citi card or is this the 1st time.

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »
Citi seems to be rejecting applications. When was the last time you guys applied for a Citi card or is this the 1st time.
This was my first time. They rejected one other app.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline normallyavoyeur

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 11:06:04 PM »

I applied about a month ago.  I had been rejected for a different citi card which had no annual fee but I had no problem getting this one.

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 07:34:16 AM »
This was my first time. They rejected one other app.
Have you been approved lately on a Citi CC