Author Topic: to dispute or not to dispute  (Read 20934 times)

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: to dispute or not to dispute
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 07:28:27 PM »
I used my brother-in-laws credit card accidently (I carried it in my pocket for the purpose of a different charge) for a AA purchase, to top of an account that was missing a few 1000 miles.

I realized right away, and I called up AA and explained them the situation, and asked them to refund that charge, and reprocess it on my card. and they told me that this has nothing to do with them, because points.com processes this charge. So I called up points.com, which they told me that they cannot do anything, they are just the processors, this request must come from AA.

I told them: "I'm not fighting for my benefit, just for your benefit, because he will dispute this charge, and you'll lose the money". He told me, that this looks to be the only option.

My BIL ended up disputing this charge, and the miles are still on the account (actually no more, because it was redeemed and flown already).

I believe he'll win the dispute, because on the charge there was my name and info. What should I expect? a call from AA to cover the miles? or maybe nothing....
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I used my brother-in-laws credit card accidently (I carried it in my pocket for the purpose of a different charge) for a AA purchase, to top of an account that was missing a few 1000 miles.

I realized right away, and I called up AA and explained them the situation, and asked them to refund that charge, and reprocess it on my card. and they told me that this has nothing to do with them, because points.com processes this charge. So I called up points.com, which they told me that they cannot do anything, they are just the processors, this request must come from AA.

I told them: "I'm not fighting for my benefit, just for your benefit, because he will dispute this charge, and you'll lose the money". He told me, that this looks to be the only option.

My BIL ended up disputing this charge, and the miles are still on the account (actually no more, because it was redeemed and flown already).

I believe he'll win the dispute, because on the charge there was my name and info. What should I expect? a call from AA to cover the miles? or maybe nothing....

It might put the account in the negative if Points.com makes the effort to track it.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 09:33:27 PM »
It might put the account in the negative if Points.com makes the effort to track it.
This account is ready to go in garbage. the passenger has flown, and I do not have any plans to accumulate new miles on this account. this is my question, what will happen if they put this in negative:

1) will they charge me for that?
2) any chances on being banned from AA?
3) expect a phone call from AA

I guess time will tell. I'm just trying to speculate.

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
This account is ready to go in garbage. the passenger has flown, and I do not have any plans to accumulate new miles on this account. this is my question, what will happen if they put this in negative:

1) will they charge me for that?
2) any chances on being banned from AA?
3) expect a phone call from AA

I guess time will tell. I'm just trying to speculate.

Sounds like theft to me.. your brother lent you his credit card for a specific purchase.. By accident you used it again.. you should have just paid him back cash and call it the day.
How did he dispute it, saying what? That someone used his card w/o him knowing? did he need to get a new card?
The cc company may look at that to find out who ripped them off, and the cc company or the sort may come after you.
Pending how much it is of course.. The larger the amount the more likely they would be to come after you.

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 09:56:11 PM »
Sounds like theft to me.. your brother lent you his credit card for a specific purchase.. By accident you used it again.. you should have just paid him back cash and call it the day.
How did he dispute it, saying what? That someone used his card w/o him knowing? did he need to get a new card?
The cc company may look at that to find out who ripped them off, and the cc company or the sort may come after you.
Pending how much it is of course.. The larger the amount the more likely they would be to come after you.
are you by any chance working for any cc company? or you're just not Jewish to be dan lcaf zchus?

1. I used it because I have the same card myself, and I didn't realize the difference.
2. He preferred to dispute, because he wanted to use his credit card for a big purchase, and I used a bit of his limit, and until I would meat him / have cash for him would take too long for him.
3. I have no problem to pay that. that's why I made the 2 phone calls that day, they should right away refund and charge my card instead. They were the ones that gave the green light to dispute.
4. he said that he has does not recognize this charge at all.
5. how could the credit card company come after me?

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 10:09:38 PM »
Why didnt you pay the CC balance from your bank acc and your BIL would have his full CL available on the following buss day? Your arg sounds like a phoney answer for recon...
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:06 PM »
are you by any chance working for any cc company? or you're just not Jewish to be dan lcaf zchus?

1. I used it because I have the same card myself, and I didn't realize the difference.
2. He preferred to dispute, because he wanted to use his credit card for a big purchase, and I used a bit of his limit, and until I would meat him / have cash for him would take too long for him.
3. I have no problem to pay that. that's why I made the 2 phone calls that day, they should right away refund and charge my card instead. They were the ones that gave the green light to dispute.
4. he said that he has does not recognize this charge at all.
5. how could the credit card company come after me?

Why didnt he request a new card? The moment I see something funny on my card I call up and say send me a new one with a new number... I do not work for a credit card company, I am Jewish.
If they gave you the green light to dispute, did you take down their name? If they really gave you the green light, you have nothing to worry about, because you have that information handy if anyone contacts you.
There is so much fraud in the cc business. Im sure if they want to they can call up the merchant (points.com or AA) about the specific charge and say "whos account did you deposit miles into?"

Im not saying they will, I'm just trying to open your mind up a little more.

How long ago did this happen?

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »

Why didnt he request a new card? The moment I see something funny on my card I call up and say send me a new one with a new number... I do not work for a credit card company, I am Jewish.
If they gave you the green light to dispute, did you take down their name? If they really gave you the green light, you have nothing to worry about, because you have that information handy if anyone contacts you.
There is so much fraud in the cc business. Im sure if they want to they can call up the merchant (points.com or AA) about the specific charge and say "whos account did you deposit miles into?"

Im not saying they will, I'm just trying to open your mind up a little more.

How long ago did this happen?
This happened a week ago.
The phone calls with AA and Points.com were both recorded, and I have the name of the supervisor which gave me that green light.
And again, worst case I'll get a call from points.com or AA and they'll ask me to make a new purchase which I'll gladly make. Just I don't want to waste money to purchase miles on a account that is in good standing.
Why didnt you pay the CC balance from your bank acc and your BIL would have his full CL available on the following buss day? Your arg sounds like a phoney answer for recon...
I didn't want to. Simple. I am paying credit cards when they due. not a minute before. For a reason did I not use a debit card.

Offline jblack

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »
Doesn't your card have CDW?
any thoughts on if i can dispute?
not for israel whats the amozon a-z method?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »
Can't imagine why anyone would rent in Israel without MCW with CDW.

Of course you can dispute, what's stopping you?  Doesn't mean you'll win though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline David B

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 08:59:51 PM »

one hour should not lead to flies.

By the way, 1 hour or 12 hours -- flies will not spontaneously generate!  They figured that out in the late 1600's :)

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 09:19:01 PM »
Why didn't you go thru the regular path of Amazon A-Z guarantee?

I did. That's how I won. Now this guy is sending threatening emails. I haven't responded to him yet.

Offline Meno

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 01:29:50 PM »
I ordered Beef and Broccoli for pick-up. I got home and opened it, it was chicken and broccoli with 2 pieces of beef in it. Receipt says "Chicken and broccoli, add beef."

I call the restaurant, they offer 10% off my next order. That's like $1.50, assuming I even go back there - no thanks. Disputed with Chase online once charge posted. Charge reversed instantly.

Who orders Chicken and Broccoli? I didn't even know that existed.

Offline ben89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »
I ordered Beef and Broccoli for pick-up. I got home and opened it, it was chicken and broccoli with 2 pieces of beef in it. Receipt says "Chicken and broccoli, add beef."

I call the restaurant, they offer 10% off my next order. That's like $1.50, assuming I even go back there - no thanks. Disputed with Chase online once charge posted. Charge reversed instantly.

it was a frum store?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2018, 02:12:28 PM »
I do. My 18 month old loves the bobabi.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Meno

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 02:51:49 PM »
it was a frum store?

Not sure what frum means in this context. It was kosher. The guy at the counter was wearing a yarmulke. I believe the guy with whom I spoke on the phone was not Jewish.

I forgot to mention that I told the guy that I was unhappy and that I would dispute the charge and he said something to the effect of "that's your choice"

Offline ben89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »
Not sure what frum means in this context. It was kosher. The guy at the counter was wearing a yarmulke. I believe the guy with whom I spoke on the phone was not Jewish.

I forgot to mention that I told the guy that I was unhappy and that I would dispute the charge and he said something to the effect of "that's your choice"
if it’s jewish store then I wouldn’t dispute assuming your frum

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 03:00:45 PM »
if it’s jewish store then I wouldn’t dispute assuming your frum
That’s your choice and that’s how I would probably act as well... but he has every right to dispute...

Offline Meno

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »
So you would just let it go?

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »
Interesting thread, thanks for bumping it up.