Author Topic: Looking to plan Honeymoon with CO Miles\Starwood Points  (Read 9868 times)

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to plan Honeymoon with CO Miles\Starwood Points
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 11:54:54 AM »
According to this chart: http://www.flexperks.com/credit/rewards.do# , a ticket up to $1000 is 50k flexpoints.

you are correct I for some reason thought it was another 10k per $100, its 10k per $200

But you still cant add any $$ to make up the difference AFAIK, which is bad since at times with the tax you will go over the min a tkt all in will be say $401 so that will cost 30k and not 20k. Id rather pay 20k and $1

havent played all that much with it , also its Unfortunate that we can only indicate Coach or Biz or FC and cant ask for a higher fare basis. say a NY-LA tkt ai is $280 and its a 'Q' yet a 'M' that will yield 1.5 or 2 x on EQMs or immediate Upgrades is $397, Obviously I would want to get the 'M' and not 'Q' but no way to do that

Hey at least we can do Multi-city and thusly some FDs if you know how (FD = Fuel dumping = Saving $$$)

BTW that link will get a # of people off my back who have been PMing me for it but I didnt send it for personal reasons
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:06:06 PM by steve2 »

Offline jack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 09:56:37 PM »
with the $69 travelocity cc you have the option of redeeming 20,000 points for $400 and and paying the $1.  For a $404 ticket you would need to spend $10,000 which converts to 20,000 travelocity points --> you redeem $400  + you pay $4

I am in the middle of researching it - I need a non amex card a.s.a.p. seems like the better of the 2 but I don't have it so I can't be positive.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »
with the $69 travelocity cc you have the option of redeeming 20,000 points for $400 and and paying the $1.  For a $404 ticket you would need to spend $10,000 which converts to 20,000 travelocity points --> you redeem $400  + you pay $4

I am in the middle of researching it - I need a non amex card a.s.a.p. seems like the better of the 2 but I don't have it so I can't be positive.

not being able to pay the difference with the Flex is a down side, but you can get to 20k in pts for all of $2500 in charges albeit the right type and having someone referred approved and spend $500 on their Card, and no annual fee for the 1st yr.Of cause you get to 20k burn them and CX the CC.Or if you cant get a referral forthe 5k then spend $5k on the right charges and thats something most can do over the 1st yr.

That $400 limit will most likely allow you to fly anywhere in the US and sometimes beyond with a trick

Its not an end all as most normal people wouldnt spend enough to get a free tkt every year nor the $24k so as to get the annual fee waviered. But its IMO a great CC to score a very easy free tkt, especially now that Citi has clamped down on the churning and at least with the Flex as the TC pick up some EQMs as well
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 10:12:30 PM by steve2 »

Offline argo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2009, 12:06:23 PM »
I have  very good credit, and I applied for a starwood amex a few months ago and they denied me.  The companies arent giving ccs to everyone these days, and having a plan to sign up for multiple cards at once is tricky if you dont have great credit, or even with it, because one rejection could hurt your credit and then be denied for other cards.  The companies also dont like that you open so many accounts at once. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2009, 06:51:10 PM »
not being able to pay the difference with the Flex is a down side, but you can get to 20k in pts for all of $2500 in charges albeit the right type and having someone referred approved and spend $500 on their Card, and no annual fee for the 1st yr.Of cause you get to 20k burn them and CX the CC.Or if you cant get a referral forthe 5k then spend $5k on the right charges and thats something most can do over the 1st yr.

That $400 limit will most likely allow you to fly anywhere in the US and sometimes beyond with a trick

Its not an end all as most normal people wouldnt spend enough to get a free tkt every year nor the $24k so as to get the annual fee waviered. But its IMO a great CC to score a very easy free tkt, especially now that Citi has clamped down on the churning and at least with the Flex as the TC pick up some EQMs as well
Don't plan on using a fuel dump on the flex card.
The booking system is extremely cumbersome and clumsy, and for whatever reason often prices out identical itineraries much higher that booking the flight with cash.

I have  very good credit, and I applied for a starwood amex a few months ago and they denied me.  The companies arent giving ccs to everyone these days, and having a plan to sign up for multiple cards at once is tricky if you dont have great credit, or even with it, because one rejection could hurt your credit and then be denied for other cards.  The companies also dont like that you open so many accounts at once. 
Getting rejected for a card doesnt hurt your credit any more than getting accepted for a card.
Did you try calling up AMEX card acceptance department and ask why your application wasn't accepted?  It may be too late now, but if you try applying again and call them right after that they may be able to push it through.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2009, 07:51:38 PM »
Don't plan on using a fuel dump on the flex card.
The booking system is extremely cumbersome and clumsy, and for whatever reason often prices out identical itineraries much higher that booking the flight with cash.
Getting rejected for a card doesnt hurt your credit any more than getting accepted for a card.
Did you try calling up AMEX card acceptance department and ask why your application wasn't accepted?  It may be too late now, but if you try applying again and call them right after that they may be able to push it through.

I already went onto Flex and useed Multi-city and it showed me the exact flights out of and back to EWR and then the flight to visit my aunt up North out West. No different then if I was PL or UA. couldnt believe it but it does in fact work.

only I decided to Pig out and instead of flying out on a MS, Ill fly to SEA on 1 tkt and then SEA to MAD on another, 20k in EQMs that will cost me out of pocket $514. I just dont know if I will land in SEA @ 8pm and then grab the 10:30pm flight to IAD -JFK. If I do that its 800 EQMs less for my return.

Due to the MAD flight starting in SEA and it being $433 no Flex since it would be 30k and not 20k . If I did EWR-MAD-EWR & my dump flight that would have been 20k but only 7700 EQMs. I figured its worth the $80 extra to get the extra 12K in EQMs

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »
Im not sure if the discussion above was about the US Bank Flexperks travel Rewards Visa...I just got an offer in the mail for the card. it gives you 10,000 flexpoints after spending $500 in 90 days. Is there any reason not to sign up just for the sign up bonus? Im sure i can find some use for these points and thank goodness its not a chase card so i dont have to worry about the stupid 6 month rule.

Looking for your thoughts on the card.
Here is a link to the website: http://www.flexperks.com/credit/product.do

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 02:29:59 AM »
Im not sure if the discussion above was about the US Bank Flexperks travel Rewards Visa...I just got an offer in the mail for the card. it gives you 10,000 flexpoints after spending $500 in 90 days. Is there any reason not to sign up just for the sign up bonus? Im sure i can find some use for these points and thank goodness its not a chase card so i dont have to worry about the stupid 6 month rule.

Looking for your thoughts on the card.
Here is a link to the website: http://www.flexperks.com/credit/product.do

the min for a free tkt is 20k, but if you buy say 5k in gas a yr or shop at a bonifide supermarket for 5k that will get you 10k = 20k and a tkt up to $400 including the taxes.if the tkt is $402 then you will need 30k. also unlike the Amex Premeir teh 2x is either gas,groceries or tkts. The 1 you spent the most on during that statement gets 2x everything else 1 pt per $

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »
the min for a free tkt is 20k, but if you buy say 5k in gas a yr or shop at a bonifide supermarket for 5k that will get you 10k = 20k and a tkt up to $400 including the taxes.if the tkt is $402 then you will need 30k. also unlike the Amex Premeir teh 2x is either gas,groceries or tkts. The 1 you spent the most on during that statement gets 2x everything else 1 pt per $

Do YOU have the card? Can it be churned?

Offline jack

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 10:57:47 PM »
Is the flex card a good option for heavy spending - I used to stick with spg but without the sheraton plaza and all my flying being in the last minute I keep on shelling out $.
Is there advance needed for redeeming?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 11:13:55 PM »
Do YOU have the card? Can it be churned?

yes I have it since I spent the min $24k no annual fee for the next yr otherwise its $49, Thanks to the Mint, * You can no longer earn Pts for Mint purchases with this CC!

Your pts must be used within 5 yrs of earning them otherwise they go bye-bye

I dont think youd be able to churn it However you are allowed to move pts from 1 acct to another, so just get family members to get it , then before the yr is up transfer their pts into your acct.

Im just shy of 80k a friend has well over 300k. If you are in the right biz Flex gives you 2x on either gas,groceries or plane tkts purrchased whichever you spent the most on each month. So if you have a restaurant or are a caterer etc and buy at a reg supermarket them pts will add up very fast indeed. All other items except for that 1 of those 3 earn 1 pt per $1

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 11:21:17 PM »
Is the flex card a good option for heavy spending - I used to stick with spg but without the sheraton plaza and all my flying being in the last minute I keep on shelling out $.

It depends , keep in mind that if the total fare (w/txs) is $400.45 20k in pts isnt enough up to $400 it would be

so w/o taking into acct some promos they throw out every so often that might yield some extra pts. Spend $20k = a tkt < $400 at best its a 2% refund, if the tkt is $300 then its a 1 1/2% refund. and you will earn miles on those flights to boot.

to redeem you log in and then click Redemption then chose the thingy for tkts and then proceed as if you are at Orbitz.com it will return all flights it found and the amount of pts needed. You can also do Multi-City which might the Carrier you want to pop up more or cheaper.I 1st go onto Orbitz so that I know already what the fares are and then work Flexs system to my advantage.

you can get Intl tkts as well

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 12:12:54 AM »
It all depends what you want.
Personally I like using my points and miles for tickets and hotels that I could never otherwise afford.
I'm flying on a First Class ticket that would normally cost nearly $20,000 and staying at $1,500 per night hotels all on points.
You would need about a million flex points per ticket for my flight, but it only takes 80,000 Starwood points.
To each their own I suppose.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 12:29:37 AM »
Personally I like using my points and miles for tickets and hotels that I could never otherwise afford.
I'm flying on a First Class ticket that would normally cost nearly $20,000 and staying at $1,500 per night hotels all on points.
You would need about a million flex points per ticket for my flight, but it only takes 80,000 Starwood points.

yet what happens in those cases where a person is willing to fly even in Coach and the fares are thru the roof = no award seats either

Im not about to pay $325+ to go to LA but Id have no problem using 20k in Flex pts and earn 7k in EQMs . Or Miami is very expensive at times close to $300+ and all 1 earns from NY is 2200 Eqms at best Hello Flex

Im sure you would agree its a waste to blow 25k for a free tkt to MIA , nor worth paying $350, but 20k in Flex is perfect if you have to go there and alot of times there isnt any free seats avaialble. On top of that Flex I believe doesnt charge anything for aflight thats a couple days away, the fees for cashing in that close is almost the price of the tkt. that 20k Flex can be earned from spending $10k
, I dont know any CC I can spend $10k on and get afree tkt on with the exception of Amex Premeir but not every Carrier is aMR member

for Intl a person can use Flex for a coach fare that will allow them to use miles or a SWU so if played right you get the best of both worlds

Offline jack

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 12:52:53 AM »

Very true except when you
1.travel last minute
2.  in high season
3.  hate flying and r short on time - no stopovers.

I've only been able to use spg for hotel stays - which is absolutely fantastic

also desperately need a non amex card which this qualifies for
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:54:59 AM by jack »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 01:05:29 AM »
Very true except when you
1.travel last minute
2.  in high season
3.  hate flying and r short on time - no stopovers.

I've only been able to use spg for hotel stays - which is absolutely fantastic

also desperately need a non amex card which this qualifies for
It's all fine and good for now, but history has shown time and time again that all of these types of proprietary reward cards (like by Citi or Capital One) over-promise to get people to rack up the points and then devalue the points with little to no warning.  And then they launch a new card to hook people with and the cycle continues.

Just beware that they can decide tomorrow or just after you racked up xxx amount of points that a $400 ticket will now cost 40,000 points and a $401 ticket will cost 60,000 points.

It's happened before and will continue to happen on these proprietary reward systems that have no competition to keep them in line like hotels and airlines do.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 01:48:29 AM »
It's all fine and good for now, but history has shown time and time again that all of these types of proprietary reward cards (like by Citi or Capital One) over-promise to get people to rack up the points and then devalue the points with little to no warning.  And then they launch a new card to hook people with and the cycle continues.

Just beware that they can decide tomorrow or just after you racked up xxx amount of points that a $400 ticket will now cost 40,000 points and a $401 ticket will cost 60,000 points.

It's happened before and will continue to happen on these proprietary reward systems that have no competition to keep them in line like hotels and airlines do.

You mean like Delta did by making it necessary to use more miles for a free tkt as its very hard to find a Low Tkt, or UA or CO does by limiting saver Awards but allowing its top level Elites a larger access so if you arent a Top Gun you can forget about getting something decent

Or our beloved SPG where they knew very well how to raise the Cats to the Hotels when rates were going thru the roof, but when the rates started to sink like a rock in a lake they all of a sudden decdied to use a different method as the means to see if a Hotel will go up or down in Cats , = no across the board lowering in '09 or '10 even thou rates have sunk. Hilton simply rasied all their Hotels almost 1 cat across the board and even Marriott hasnt lowered that many. and added afew to their Cat8

they're all the same just some are more outward with how they go about doing it, while others try very hard to hide it and call it ENHANCEMENTS

take our beloved Ex Plaza which in a course of a yr went from a Cat1 to 2 to 3 and the next yr a Cat4 , had they stayed with *W theyd be a Cat5 today so from 19k for 1 week to 60k as a cat4 , and they werent the only 1 that took that path.

Sorry Dan I do agree with you about the Proprietary CCs but the Airlines and Hotels are just the same but do a great job hiding that they are doing it. so as alot of people are saying The time for hording Pts or Miles is over and Burn baby Burn. most carriers went with the co-pay system on Intl flights when using Miles to Upgrade,as I said they are ALL doing the exact samething just some are doing an excellent job of hiding it

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 02:13:27 PM »
Thanks to the Mint, * You can no longer earn Pts for Mint purchases with this CC!

Are just FLEX point cards not earning, or are there other cards

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 02:43:21 PM »
Are just FLEX point cards not earning, or are there other cards

On FT (FlyerTalk) I believe there were reports of 1 or 2 others as well, dont recall which theyw ere, but most still are OK

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 02:54:25 PM »
You mean like Delta did by making it necessary to use more miles for a free tkt as its very hard to find a Low Tkt, or UA or CO does by limiting saver Awards but allowing its top level Elites a larger access so if you arent a Top Gun you can forget about getting something decent

Or our beloved SPG where they knew very well how to raise the Cats to the Hotels when rates were going thru the roof, but when the rates started to sink like a rock in a lake they all of a sudden decdied to use a different method as the means to see if a Hotel will go up or down in Cats , = no across the board lowering in '09 or '10 even thou rates have sunk. Hilton simply rasied all their Hotels almost 1 cat across the board and even Marriott hasnt lowered that many. and added afew to their Cat8

they're all the same just some are more outward with how they go about doing it, while others try very hard to hide it and call it ENHANCEMENTS

take our beloved Ex Plaza which in a course of a yr went from a Cat1 to 2 to 3 and the next yr a Cat4 , had they stayed with *W theyd be a Cat5 today so from 19k for 1 week to 60k as a cat4 , and they werent the only 1 that took that path.

Sorry Dan I do agree with you about the Proprietary CCs but the Airlines and Hotels are just the same but do a great job hiding that they are doing it. so as alot of people are saying The time for hording Pts or Miles is over and Burn baby Burn. most carriers went with the co-pay system on Intl flights when using Miles to Upgrade,as I said they are ALL doing the exact samething just some are doing an excellent job of hiding it
Yes, hotel and airline programs are going to have devaluations, they are not perfect.  But they can also go up in value, like Continental miles did when they joined Star without any United-style blocking, or like United miles did when they eliminated their expedite fee.

But with nearly every proprietary credit card point system out there, there have been wholesale devaluations many times without notice.  And when they do it's across the board, there's no way to escape it.

True, so Starwood didn't decease hotel categories this year (although they have lowered some hotels).  But there are still so many other uses for Starpoints.  Not happy with the non-adjustments? Go transfer 20,000 of your Starpoints into LAN and get 3 RT tickets to Canada.