Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1186170 times)

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4520 on: April 17, 2024, 05:23:52 AM »
I bought an accent chair and I don’t seem to like it anymore. It’s past the return window. I have already had a claim last year for $300 for a different item. Is it ok to make a claim again? Is applying for another claim going to raise any flags? I spend a lot on my Amex and don’t want to get shut down.

A lot of us here do more than one claim per year, and it seems that many do quite a few more than that per year. I've never seen any indication that doing one claim per year two years in a row invites any scrutiny from AmEx, let alone shutdowns. Just make sure that the item is in brand-new condition, as they oftentimes ask for photos of items (front, back, left, right, top, bottom, and packaging too) and there was just a post stating that they asked for proof that the customer had attempted to return the item. So it would probably be a good idea to make a phone call to the store or whatever online site that you bought it from, ask them if the item is returnable per their return policy, and then ask the employee's/agent's name and keep a record of it just in case. AmEx Assurance is still approving claims quickly if you can send them all the information that they request from you, but the key there is having everything in order: the item in new condition, proof that it was delivered (basically, the tracking number) if it's an item that was shipped to you, and, just to be safe, the ability to say that you did in fact inquire about returning the item (they rarely ask for this, but it's not a bad idea to place a phone call just to make sure you've got yourself covered in the event that they request this from you). Everything should go smoothly if you can submit whatever they request from you, and, no, you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever claiming one item per year.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #4521 on: April 18, 2024, 06:22:59 PM »
A lot of us here do more than one claim per year, and it seems that many do quite a few more than that per year. I've never seen any indication that doing one claim per year two years in a row invites any scrutiny from AmEx, let alone shutdowns. Just make sure that the item is in brand-new condition, as they oftentimes ask for photos of items (front, back, left, right, top, bottom, and packaging too) and there was just a post stating that they asked for proof that the customer had attempted to return the item. So it would probably be a good idea to make a phone call to the store or whatever online site that you bought it from, ask them if the item is returnable per their return policy, and then ask the employee's/agent's name and keep a record of it just in case. AmEx Assurance is still approving claims quickly if you can send them all the information that they request from you, but the key there is having everything in order: the item in new condition, proof that it was delivered (basically, the tracking number) if it's an item that was shipped to you, and, just to be safe, the ability to say that you did in fact inquire about returning the item (they rarely ask for this, but it's not a bad idea to place a phone call just to make sure you've got yourself covered in the event that they request this from you). Everything should go smoothly if you can submit whatever they request from you, and, no, you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever claiming one item per year.

written by chatGPT?

Offline kickballrubber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: April 18, 2024, 07:29:01 PM »

/thread

Read the threads here before you ask questions that was asked countless times. Excellent information available here.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: April 18, 2024, 09:06:28 PM »
written by chatGPT?

No. Not sure why you'd say that, but, no. I've never used anything AI-related and don't ever plan to, to be honest.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: April 18, 2024, 09:21:30 PM »
No. Not sure why you'd say that, but, no. I've never used anything AI-related and don't ever plan to, to be honest.
Missing out
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline zaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: April 19, 2024, 10:10:32 AM »
Just send them their return policy, see if that will suffice.
Did this, and said that I called and was told to see their policy...
Claim was approved

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: April 19, 2024, 10:11:29 AM »
Did this, and said that I called and was told to see their policy...
Claim was approved
Sometimes it's just KISS.

Happy it worked.

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: April 19, 2024, 10:41:40 AM »
My eyes are hurting.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: April 20, 2024, 05:38:30 PM »
Just to share the data point since I know that people have asked about this in the past, and while others have shared their experiences, this is the first time that I've been in this situation. I had an item that I purchased on a card which I've since closed, so I wasn't sure if I was going to get denied (although others of course have said that it should still work). Anyhow, I submitted the documents last week, and I just received the letter (via e-mail) that my claim was approved. I checked my online account, and the reimbursement has already been posted on the cancelled card (cancelled it in February), so now I just need to chat with them and ask them to transfer the credit balance to an account that's still open. Anyhow, just wanted to share this!

Here's another data point for anyone interested: This is the first time I've submitted a claim for an item I purchased as an authorized user on an account which has since been closed. The account was already closed when I submitted the claim a couple weeks ago, and it was approved last week with no problem. I just received a check in the mail today for the refund. It's the first time I've ever been sent a check for a Return Protection claim. I'm assuming that it's because I was an authorized user, since I had a similar situation on my own closed account (not as an authorized user) a couple of weeks ago, and for that, they simply posted the refund to my closed account instead of sending me a check.

Offline kickballrubber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: April 22, 2024, 09:11:31 PM »
Anyone tried to do RP on laundry washing machine or dryer? I don't think it falls under restriction item 22, which excludes land, buildings, and fixtures. Examples they listed were central air conditioner, built-in kitchen appliance and water heater.

Normally, I would go about doing this, but since it is such a bulky item for my living place I'm wondering if anyone else have tried.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #4530 on: Yesterday at 10:12:39 AM »
Anyone tried to do RP on laundry washing machine or dryer? I don't think it falls under restriction item 22, which excludes land, buildings, and fixtures. Examples they listed were central air conditioner, built-in kitchen appliance and water heater.

Normally, I would go about doing this, but since it is such a bulky item for my living place I'm wondering if anyone else have tried.
@jl75 check RP t&c and write up a process how to make a claim, what notes to take down, and how to expect a payment

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: Yesterday at 01:36:28 PM »
@jl75 check RP t&c and write up a process how to make a claim, what notes to take down, and how to expect a payment

Actually, that sounds more like something you should do since you seem to have so much free time on your hands.   ;)