AJK's (very long) TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg150317#msg150317

Tzfas's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg271358#msg271358

Yehoshua's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=53999.msg1209038#msg1209038

Other TRs:
Yitzy93,
Moishy36, deals, chuchem, milechazzer, LAXtraveler, fdg9, ChAiM'l, rots5, Ergel, steve L, sy guy, waterpri, MC dvol
CGR

Map of Jewish Paris
Kosher Paris Map
Kosher List-July 2015 or Here.

RESTAURANTS (the best of)

There are hundreds of kosher restaurants in Paris.  The locals generally don't eat the meat under Beis Din as they don't require Glatt meat.  But they will eat everything else under Beis din.

Search for restaurants by cuisine and hashgocha here.

NameLocationMetroTypeHechsherNotes
Darjeeling17thArgentine-1MeatRottenberg
Sar Eden19thOurcq-5BakeryRottenbergOrganic bakery
Charles Traiteur19thOurcq-5BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur20thSaint-Mandé-1BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur11thRue-Des-Boulets-9BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur16thVictor-Hugo-2BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur Halavi17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din Chalavi
Korcarz4thSaint-paul-1BakeryBeth-DinIn the Marais
Ardely’s19thOurcq-5Milk ChocolateKatz
Damyel19thOurcq-5Parve ChocolateRottenberg
L’As Du Fallafel4thSaint-paul-1FallafelBeth-Dinin the Marais
L’Inte Cafe12thMiromesnil-9,13DairyBeth-Din15 minute walk from the Park Hyatt
Kosher pizza4thSaint-paul-1PizzaRottenberg
Le Shine17thPorte Maillot-1ChineseLubavitchnear the Arc
Soumsoum11thVoltaire- 9MeatLubavitchGreat Israeli restaurent, there is a second one in the 8th
Doron ba Laïla19thGare Saint-Lazare 3-12-13-14MeatRottenbergNice meat restaurant
Tibs19thOurcq-5DairyKatz
Thai One2ndSentier-3MeatRottenberg
Le XXV16thTrocadéro-9-6BakeryRottenberg Chalavi
Le XXV8thTernes-2BakeryRottenberg Chalavi

Activities:
-Segway Tour. Please do not PM Ergel with requests for coupon codes. The codes are long dead
-Seine River Tour
-Eiffel Tour (Metro: Trocadero -6,9)
-Versailles Palace and Gardens. Never wait on line to buy tickets. 1. Use museum pass 2. Buy in advance 3. There are vending machines near the bathrooms (you have to poke around to find them) without lines. (if you go during a really busy time and the line seems endlessly long, go to the gardens first and return to the palace in the afternoon when lines are shorter). To get an audio guide, you usually proceed across the Royal Courtyard after passing security. If the lines for the audio guides are long, turn left in the Courtyard, to the Apartments of the daughter's of Louis XV’s. There you'll find another counter where you can get audio guides, with no lines at all. You can then exit the apartments and continue along the tour, bypassing the longer line.
-Louvre Art Museum (Closed Tuesday) (Metro: Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre -1,7) Shushan/Purim artifacts that can be seen at the Louvre, per the book Purim and the Persian Empire.
-D'Orsay Art Museum (Closed Monday) (Metro: Solférino -12)
-Musée de l'Orangerie des Tuileries (closed Tuesday) small museum featuring Monet's lilies (Metro Concorde: -1,8,12)
-Centre Georges Pompidou modern art museum open 11-9. closed tuedays (Metro: Rambuteau -11)
-Tuileries Gardens. (Metro: Tuileries -1)
-Paris sewer museum Smells really bad but an interesting look at the sewer system
-Champs Elysees shopping (Metro: Champs-Élysées - Clemenceau -1,13)
-Arc de Triomphe (Metro: Charles de Gaulle - Étoile -1,2,6)
-Operan National De Paris opera house. tours daily 11:30 and 2:30. Admission included in Museum Pass, tour extra
-Montmartre (Great neighborhood to walk around with boutiques, artists, and great views, and a funicular that kids will love) (Metro: abbesses -12, Anvers -2)
-The Great Synagogue (La Victoria) is beautiful but the main shul is only open on Shabbos mornings for Shacharis, but definitely worthwhile if you're there over Shabbos (Metro: Notre-Dame-de-Lorette -12)

Hotels:
-Park Hyatt Paris (Hyatt cat 7) is an outstanding value for your points. They used to give a phenomenal kosher breakfast but now it's barely even worth requesting.  Still rooms are a decent size for Paris, the Spa facilities are very nice, and the intoxicating smell used throughout the hotel for forever be linked with the romance of Paris. Ideally located between the Opera and Tuileries metro stations.
The Park Hyatt has free parking, though driving and parking elsewhere in Paris is very difficult.
The Park Hyatt has also complimentary bikes for guests.
There is a backdoor for entry on shabbos.

-The InterContinental Paris - Le Grand is not far from the Park Hyatt. It cost 70k IHG points per night or you can use IHG free nights. It is a good alternitive if the PH is not available or if you don't have/don't want to spend 30k Hyatt points per night.

-The Westin (SPG cat 6) is not as luxurious at the Park Hyatt but is located nearby and does the trick if you only have Starpoints and not Chase or Hyatt points.

Shabbos meals:
-Chabad of Champs Elysees has great shabbos meals and you're sure to bump into other tourists there as well to share tips.
It is a 30 minute walk to the Park Hyatt, but the walk is quite lovely via the Tuileries Gardens and the Champs Elysees.
Reservations are required: http://www.chabadchampselysees.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/888847/jewish/Shabbat-at-Chabad-Champs-Elyses.htm
-if you don't/can't eat at Chabad, they suggest getting takeout from Ben & Cook located in the 8th. Hashgacha: rabbinate Lubavitch De France 33 1 45 61 03 95. 35 Euro for 2 challas, 2 dips, meatballs with noodles or veggies for 2. they close at 3pm on Fridays (in the summer). call for more info
- Friday night meals at Grand Synagogue http://www.tiny.cc/chabbat

There is no eruv in Paris. Consider taking the metro to shul with your talis bag along with return tickets for motzei shabbos.

Transport from CDG:
-If you are going to the Opera area you can take the RoissyBus (pronounced Wahsee-Boos as you will get blank stares if you ask for the Royzee-Bus) which goes there nonstop. You can pay by credit card in the RoissyBus waiting station or on the bus.  The cost is €10.  It is a 5 minute walk to the Park Hyatt.

-There are also train options from CDG: the subway is located in terminal 2E/2F, to get to paris its ligne B (Blue) it should take approximately 30minutes to get to Gare Du Nord
it cost 9€10 each way per person

- Mendy Taxi: 0(1133) 6 50 99 82 93 http://mendystransport.com/en/
- Shimon taxi: 0(1133)6 98 27 16 08  Tamidshuttle@gmail.com

- Uber, Bolt are the best option to get to paris cheapest and fastest

Metro:
The subway is fast, efficient, and cheap. A book of 10 tickets is 13,30€ for adults and 6,65€ for kids.
The subway closes between 12:30 and 2am.

Map:
Streetwise Paris cannot emphasize enough, this is really a must. Of course, if you have GMaps and data you don't need this map unless you really like paper.

Guidebooks
Rick Steves' Paris 2013
Fodor's Paris 2013 (Full-color Travel Guide)

Other Tips
-If you plan on visiting several of the items covered by the Museum Pass - make sure to check it out and price out your options.  Many times it is worth it to get a one-day or multi-day Museum Pass to save some money and more importantly, time (see link for more details: http://en.parismuseumpass.com/)
-Double check days when museums/sites are closed as many do close on different days of the week.
« Last edited by yitzy93 on November 27, 2023, 04:50:39 PM »

Author Topic: Paris Master Thread  (Read 956655 times)

Offline SweetPea

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Master Thread
« Reply #2400 on: November 14, 2015, 10:25:05 PM »
160 pages on Paris? I have scanned through it and I think I'm going a bit crosseyed. Oy! We will be heading to Paris in the near future and will be renting an apartment in the 2nd Arr. Does anyone have have a recommendation for Judaica stores, grocers, bakeries, and possibly butchers in central Paris, probably in the 9th arr?

Thanks!

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: November 14, 2015, 10:30:13 PM »
160 pages on Paris? I have scanned through it and I think I'm going a bit crosseyed. Oy! We will be heading to Paris in the near future and will be renting an apartment in the 2nd Arr. Does anyone have have a recommendation for Judaica stores, grocers, bakeries, and possibly butchers in central Paris, probably in the 9th arr?

Thanks!
I think all the relevant places are on the wiki. At least I couldn't find any place that I went to that isn't there if it met the criteria of the wiki.

Stay safe!

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: November 14, 2015, 10:32:46 PM »

Offline SweetPea

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: November 14, 2015, 10:45:36 PM »
I think all the relevant places are on the wiki. At least I couldn't find any place that I went to that isn't there if it met the criteria of the wiki.

Stay safe!

The wiki covers restaurants, hotels, attractions, Shabbat meals, transportation, etc. However, it does not list boulangeries, patisseries, boucheries, epiceries, and similar shops.

We will stay safe. I think my Israeli heritage has given me a little more courage and chutzpah to deal with these situations.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: November 15, 2015, 12:06:11 AM »
The wiki covers restaurants, hotels, attractions, Shabbat meals, transportation, etc. However, it does not list boulangeries, patisseries, boucheries, epiceries, and similar shops.

We will stay safe. I think my Israeli heritage has given me a little more courage and chutzpah to deal with these situations.
Korcarz in the 4th was our favorite bakery. Charles Traiteur was also very good.  They have locations around the city. See my TR for all the places we visited and my review of them.

Offline eliraps

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: November 17, 2015, 11:46:07 AM »
The 4th has lots of Jews and is closer to things. When we were in London we stayed in the city and didn't even go to GG once. If you want to stay somewhere that has shuls/restaurants and is close to where things are happening then the 4th is definitely the place to stay.

As a data point for future travelers to Paris who do not have an overload of Hyatt or Starwood points, we had decided on staying at the Campanile. Seemed decent and about 100Euro per night. Next up would have been "My hotel in france.

My hotel looks like a slightly better location and right next to kosher bakery. However they do not offer baby cribs and their elevator seems too small for a stroller...

Both had very helpful phone reps.

(In the end, a relative who lives right in that part of town happens to have an extra bedroom for that week, so I won't be able to give a full report on those hotels...)

Offline eliraps

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: November 29, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »
Just some notes form our trip, focusing on things that i have not seen discussed up-thread.

1) Petit Bateau make excellent quality stuff, their stuff on Amazon have 4.5+ star ratings. The confusing thing about them is that their sizes are very small (18 month may fit your 9-months-old), and that the same size (e.g. size 18 month) will be different for different garments (e.g. IME pajamas are bigger than undershirts). But their quality is second to none, my son has stuff that I and my younger brothers all used and is still in good condition.

There is a store in Paris that sell Petit Bateau old stock for a fraction of the regular price (look for the stuff with the trimmed labels...). I bought 7 undershirts with under-snap, 3 pajamas, 2 outfits and a scarf for 85 Euro. When you go there, take with some other clothes to measure against.

Located at 50 Rue Oberkampf, 75011 Paris, a 15-20 minute walk form the 'Pletzel'.

2) To plan your trips in Paris don't use Googlemaps. They are missing a lot of important info, especially bus routes which are ever so useful if you have a storller. Use RATP

To be continued IYH

Offline D93

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: November 30, 2015, 03:25:18 AM »
There's no thread for France, so I'll ask it here.
Is there any minyan in the French alps in the winter?

Offline yuguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: December 10, 2015, 09:54:51 AM »
Does one need a photo ID to get into the Chabad for shabbas? I assume no b/c of the lack of eruv, but the security situation makes me ask...Thanks!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: December 10, 2015, 10:19:56 AM »
Does one need a photo ID to get into the Chabad for shabbas? I assume no b/c of the lack of eruv, but the security situation makes me ask...Thanks!
You may need to show ID to get in Erev Shabbos, but you don't need to show anything on Shabbos day.

Offline yuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: December 10, 2015, 10:44:08 AM »
Going to Paris tonight for a quick weekend... Here's my itinerary so far. Any suggestions for Sunday afternoon would be appreciated!

Friday:
Arrive 10:30 AM, head straight to lunch at Bozen (within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower). Go to Eiffel Tower (my wife just wants pictures, she doesn't actually care to go up).

After customs, lunch and the Tower it'll probably time to get ready for shabbas--we'll head to PHP hopefully to check in a bit early. Get ready for Shababs and head to the Chabad for mincha and chanukah lighting.

Saturday
- Shabbas day at Chabad
- Saturday night shopping/window shopping along Champs-Élysées
- Dinner afterwards at L'inte Caffe

Sunday
- Louvre opens up at 9:00AM--first activity of the morning.
- Lunch: Open to suggestions for whats relatively close by
- Don't have any afternoon activity--maybe the river Siene tour (it's supposed to be in the high 40s)
- Dinner: Open to suggestions as well!

Monday
Go home!

Thanks in advance!

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: December 10, 2015, 10:55:50 AM »
Sounds fun! I suggest against the river tour. The river is set below the city, so you barely can see what the voice-recorded audio guide is referring to.

Offline yuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: December 10, 2015, 11:12:18 AM »
Sounds fun! I suggest against the river tour. The river is set below the city, so you barely can see what the voice-recorded audio guide is referring to.

Thanks for the advice. Is the hop on/off bus tour a better way to see the city?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: December 10, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »
I'd suggest ThaiOne for lunch after the Louvre. It's a 20 min walk and it was great food. Not open for dinner though, so it'll be perfect for lunch. We really liked the segway tour we took (an idea for Sunday afternoon for you).

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: December 10, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »

Going to Paris tonight for a quick weekend... Here's my itinerary so far. Any suggestions for Sunday afternoon would be appreciated!

Friday:
Arrive 10:30 AM, head straight to lunch at Bozen (within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower). Go to Eiffel Tower (my wife just wants pictures, she doesn't actually care to go up).

After customs, lunch and the Tower it'll probably time to get ready for shabbas--we'll head to PHP hopefully to check in a bit early. Get ready for Shababs and head to the Chabad for mincha and chanukah lighting.

Saturday
- Shabbas day at Chabad
- Saturday night shopping/window shopping along Champs-Élysées

Sunday
- Lunch: Open to suggestions for whats relatively close by
- Don't have any afternoon activity--maybe the river Siene tour (it's supposed to be in the high 40s)
- Dinner: Open to suggestions as well!

Monday
Go home!

Thanks in advance!
This sounds great, with the amendments that have already been suggested.  We are planning a similar long weekend in January.
Staying at PHP.
We were thinking of Chabad for Friday night but maybe the Grande Synagogue for Shabbat morning. Wonder if others have done that and can opine?

Also high on our list is to return to Darjeeling. Maybe Friday lunch.

The Segway tour sounds great --on our agenda, too.

A few years ago we ended up staying in Montmartre. I don't recommend staying there (although the nearby Chabad was very welcoming, accommodating, heimische), because it is kind of far from most of your destinations. However, it is a fun place to stroll. Others have described the funicular but we did not ride as it was Shabbos.

Offline SRM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: December 10, 2015, 12:25:20 PM »
Darjeeling is a fun experience...maybe not the best restaurant but it's a fun and interesting option. Il Conte is dairy restaurant that I really like (I also really enjoyed L'inte Cafe).

On my last trip we decided to try a free walking tour. There is a group called Sandemans who offer free walking tours in many cities across the world. Take a look at their site for information on the Paris tour (there are a few, most are free but they expect you to tip the guide). I was very impressed with my tour. The guide was excited and knowledgeable, overall a very nice tour. It was long however (about 3 hours)so some of my friends tired out/lost interest about halfway through. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes and I'm sure you can skip out on the tour if you get bored with it.

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: December 10, 2015, 12:31:56 PM »
Darjeeling is a fun experience...maybe not the best restaurant but it's a fun and interesting option. Il Conte is dairy restaurant that I really like (I also really enjoyed L'inte Cafe).

On my last trip we decided to try a free walking tour. There is a group called Sandemans who offer free walking tours in many cities across the world. Take a look at their site for information on the Paris tour (there are a few, most are free but they expect you to tip the guide). I was very impressed with my tour. The guide was excited and knowledgeable, overall a very nice tour. It was long however (about 3 hours)so some of my friends tired out/lost interest about halfway through. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes and I'm sure you can skip out on the tour if you get bored with it.

The walking tour sounds like a great suggestion -- thank you!

In 2013, we went to Darjeeling's mostly-take-out branch, but we're intending to visit the "real" restaurant this time. I didn't realize it was a nice setting -- we were just interested in the food, which was excellent last time -- so that sounds like a bonus.

Offline SRM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: December 10, 2015, 12:37:30 PM »
I didn't realize it was a nice setting -- we were just interested in the food, which was excellent last time -- so that sounds like a bonus.

Don't expect elegant...it's more fun/interesting than fancy.

Offline yuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: December 10, 2015, 12:46:04 PM »
I'd suggest ThaiOne for lunch after the Louvre. It's a 20 min walk and it was great food. Not open for dinner though, so it'll be perfect for lunch. We really liked the segway tour we took (an idea for Sunday afternoon for you).

Thanks, I was looking at that one. Not sure if it's our taste of food, but always down to try new things...
A few years ago we ended up staying in Montmartre. I don't recommend staying there (although the nearby Chabad was very welcoming, accommodating, heimische), because it is kind of far from most of your destinations. However, it is a fun place to stroll. Others have described the funicular but we did not ride as it was Shabbos.

Thanks! How was the shopping in Montmarte, if you noticed?

Offline yuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: December 10, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »

Friday:

Saturday
- Shabbas day at Chabad
- Saturday night shopping/window shopping along Champs-Élysées /Arc de Triomphe

Sunday
- Pont des Arts/Love Lock Bridge, a ten minute walk from the Lovure.
- Lunch: Thai One, Or, not as close, but there's lots of places in the la Marais area that sound interesting. It's not a very far walk, about 25 minutes(?) or can even metro.
- Unless I get convinced to shop again, I'd like to check out the museum with Monet's Lillies. I hear it isn't super busy.
- Dinner: Thinking O'You or La Fille du Boucher. I'll ask the Chabad what they think

Monday
Go home!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for all the helpful tips! I think i've rounded it out a bit. Edits in bold.