AJK's (very long) TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg150317#msg150317

Tzfas's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg271358#msg271358

Yehoshua's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=53999.msg1209038#msg1209038

Other TRs:
Yitzy93,
Moishy36, deals, chuchem, milechazzer, LAXtraveler, fdg9, ChAiM'l, rots5, Ergel, steve L, sy guy, waterpri, MC dvol
CGR

Map of Jewish Paris
Kosher Paris Map
Kosher List-July 2015 or Here.

RESTAURANTS (the best of)

There are hundreds of kosher restaurants in Paris.  The locals generally don't eat the meat under Beis Din as they don't require Glatt meat.  But they will eat everything else under Beis din.

Search for restaurants by cuisine and hashgocha here.

NameLocationMetroTypeHechsherNotes
Darjeeling17thArgentine-1MeatRottenberg
Sar Eden19thOurcq-5BakeryRottenbergOrganic bakery
Charles Traiteur19thOurcq-5BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur20thSaint-Mandé-1BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur11thRue-Des-Boulets-9BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur16thVictor-Hugo-2BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur Halavi17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din Chalavi
Korcarz4thSaint-paul-1BakeryBeth-DinIn the Marais
Ardely’s19thOurcq-5Milk ChocolateKatz
Damyel19thOurcq-5Parve ChocolateRottenberg
L’As Du Fallafel4thSaint-paul-1FallafelBeth-Dinin the Marais
L’Inte Cafe12thMiromesnil-9,13DairyBeth-Din15 minute walk from the Park Hyatt
Kosher pizza4thSaint-paul-1PizzaRottenberg
Le Shine17thPorte Maillot-1ChineseLubavitchnear the Arc
Soumsoum11thVoltaire- 9MeatLubavitchGreat Israeli restaurent, there is a second one in the 8th
Doron ba Laïla19thGare Saint-Lazare 3-12-13-14MeatRottenbergNice meat restaurant
Tibs19thOurcq-5DairyKatz
Thai One2ndSentier-3MeatRottenberg
Le XXV16thTrocadéro-9-6BakeryRottenberg Chalavi
Le XXV8thTernes-2BakeryRottenberg Chalavi

Activities:
-Segway Tour. Please do not PM Ergel with requests for coupon codes. The codes are long dead
-Seine River Tour
-Eiffel Tour (Metro: Trocadero -6,9)
-Versailles Palace and Gardens. Never wait on line to buy tickets. 1. Use museum pass 2. Buy in advance 3. There are vending machines near the bathrooms (you have to poke around to find them) without lines. (if you go during a really busy time and the line seems endlessly long, go to the gardens first and return to the palace in the afternoon when lines are shorter). To get an audio guide, you usually proceed across the Royal Courtyard after passing security. If the lines for the audio guides are long, turn left in the Courtyard, to the Apartments of the daughter's of Louis XV’s. There you'll find another counter where you can get audio guides, with no lines at all. You can then exit the apartments and continue along the tour, bypassing the longer line.
-Louvre Art Museum (Closed Tuesday) (Metro: Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre -1,7) Shushan/Purim artifacts that can be seen at the Louvre, per the book Purim and the Persian Empire.
-D'Orsay Art Museum (Closed Monday) (Metro: Solférino -12)
-Musée de l'Orangerie des Tuileries (closed Tuesday) small museum featuring Monet's lilies (Metro Concorde: -1,8,12)
-Centre Georges Pompidou modern art museum open 11-9. closed tuedays (Metro: Rambuteau -11)
-Tuileries Gardens. (Metro: Tuileries -1)
-Paris sewer museum Smells really bad but an interesting look at the sewer system
-Champs Elysees shopping (Metro: Champs-Élysées - Clemenceau -1,13)
-Arc de Triomphe (Metro: Charles de Gaulle - Étoile -1,2,6)
-Operan National De Paris opera house. tours daily 11:30 and 2:30. Admission included in Museum Pass, tour extra
-Montmartre (Great neighborhood to walk around with boutiques, artists, and great views, and a funicular that kids will love) (Metro: abbesses -12, Anvers -2)
-The Great Synagogue (La Victoria) is beautiful but the main shul is only open on Shabbos mornings for Shacharis, but definitely worthwhile if you're there over Shabbos (Metro: Notre-Dame-de-Lorette -12)

Hotels:
-Park Hyatt Paris (Hyatt cat 7) is an outstanding value for your points. They used to give a phenomenal kosher breakfast but now it's barely even worth requesting.  Still rooms are a decent size for Paris, the Spa facilities are very nice, and the intoxicating smell used throughout the hotel for forever be linked with the romance of Paris. Ideally located between the Opera and Tuileries metro stations.
The Park Hyatt has free parking, though driving and parking elsewhere in Paris is very difficult.
The Park Hyatt has also complimentary bikes for guests.
There is a backdoor for entry on shabbos.

-The InterContinental Paris - Le Grand is not far from the Park Hyatt. It cost 70k IHG points per night or you can use IHG free nights. It is a good alternitive if the PH is not available or if you don't have/don't want to spend 30k Hyatt points per night.

-The Westin (SPG cat 6) is not as luxurious at the Park Hyatt but is located nearby and does the trick if you only have Starpoints and not Chase or Hyatt points.

Shabbos meals:
-Chabad of Champs Elysees has great shabbos meals and you're sure to bump into other tourists there as well to share tips.
It is a 30 minute walk to the Park Hyatt, but the walk is quite lovely via the Tuileries Gardens and the Champs Elysees.
Reservations are required: http://www.chabadchampselysees.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/888847/jewish/Shabbat-at-Chabad-Champs-Elyses.htm
-if you don't/can't eat at Chabad, they suggest getting takeout from Ben & Cook located in the 8th. Hashgacha: rabbinate Lubavitch De France 33 1 45 61 03 95. 35 Euro for 2 challas, 2 dips, meatballs with noodles or veggies for 2. they close at 3pm on Fridays (in the summer). call for more info
- Friday night meals at Grand Synagogue http://www.tiny.cc/chabbat

There is no eruv in Paris. Consider taking the metro to shul with your talis bag along with return tickets for motzei shabbos.

Transport from CDG:
-If you are going to the Opera area you can take the RoissyBus (pronounced Wahsee-Boos as you will get blank stares if you ask for the Royzee-Bus) which goes there nonstop. You can pay by credit card in the RoissyBus waiting station or on the bus.  The cost is €10.  It is a 5 minute walk to the Park Hyatt.

-There are also train options from CDG: the subway is located in terminal 2E/2F, to get to paris its ligne B (Blue) it should take approximately 30minutes to get to Gare Du Nord
it cost 9€10 each way per person

- Mendy Taxi: 0(1133) 6 50 99 82 93 http://mendystransport.com/en/
- Shimon taxi: 0(1133)6 98 27 16 08  Tamidshuttle@gmail.com

- Uber, Bolt are the best option to get to paris cheapest and fastest

Metro:
The subway is fast, efficient, and cheap. A book of 10 tickets is 13,30€ for adults and 6,65€ for kids.
The subway closes between 12:30 and 2am.

Map:
Streetwise Paris cannot emphasize enough, this is really a must. Of course, if you have GMaps and data you don't need this map unless you really like paper.

Guidebooks
Rick Steves' Paris 2013
Fodor's Paris 2013 (Full-color Travel Guide)

Other Tips
-If you plan on visiting several of the items covered by the Museum Pass - make sure to check it out and price out your options.  Many times it is worth it to get a one-day or multi-day Museum Pass to save some money and more importantly, time (see link for more details: http://en.parismuseumpass.com/)
-Double check days when museums/sites are closed as many do close on different days of the week.
« Last edited by yitzy93 on November 27, 2023, 04:50:39 PM »

Author Topic: Paris Master Thread  (Read 947333 times)

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Master Thread
« Reply #2420 on: December 12, 2015, 11:15:52 PM »

Thanks, I was looking at that one. Not sure if it's our taste of food, but always down to try new things...
Thanks! How was the shopping in Montmarte, if you noticed?
Shavuah tov. Hope you're having a great time. I remember a lot of artists and little shops but we weren't really looking to shop as it was Shabbat. Enjoy!

Offline yuguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: December 15, 2015, 04:03:11 PM »
Small TR on my recent trip to Paris--thanks for everyone's input!

Friday
Arrived at CDG around 10:30 AM--went straight to lunch near the Eiffel tower at Bozen. A small sushi place. The food was fine, but in retrospect it wasn't as filling as we needed it to be. I just wanted to be somewhere near the Eiffel tower because of early Shabbas. We went to the Eiffel Tower. The Tower is way better than I thought it would be. Really amazing sight to see. It was a bit drizzly and very foggy (the entire trip) which made it difficult to see the top, but the lack of sun made for some excellent pictures. Knowing my wife (and our time constraints) I didn't purchase tickets to head up. We got our photo opportunities then headed straight to the Park Hyatt.

Friday night we went to the Chabad. Overall an enjoyable experience. The davening is a bit intimidating for a first time chabad-goer, but it's a lot more intimate when you sit down for dinner.

We got a bit lost heading back, but Champs Elysees had a Christmas market set up for a few blocks on both sides. Though being in Paris at this time of year seemed to be off-peak (until next week anyways) the street markets were packed! we couldn't snap any pictures, but the Illuminations were beautiful to see. A lot more white than red/green as is associated with Christmas, as least here in New York.

Shabbas/Saturday Night
Learning from our mistake Friday night, we took the most direct route from PH to the Chabad...Shabbas was uneventfu considering how short it was (and how late we ended lunch)l, but we were able to light our Chanukkah candles motzei Shabbas so that was convenient.

Saturday night we spent some time shopping before dinner. The PH is right by Lafayette Galleries, but it closes at 8:00 pm! So we headed over to Champs Elysees (and everyone there closes early, too--9:00 PM). I guess you get spoiled in New York, but you'd think an international city like Paris would have shopping open late? Anyways, after that we went to L'Inte Caffe for dinner. The food was really good--we're boring and got pasta, but the caramel tiramisu was really good. Highly recommended. We then walked back to the hotel thanks to Sprints Worldwide roaming that gives you free usage of your data and texting while abroad.

Sunday
Sunday was our first and only full day to dedicate to activities in Paris, so we got started early and went to the Louvre. Considering the time and the seemingly off-peak time of our trip, there was really no line getting in. We saw the must-sees (Mona Lisa, Seated Scribe, etc.). The Louvre is, in one word, immense. It's amazing that the museum itself is art. The DW and I found the Apollo Gallery to be more interesting than the paintings. Just our preference.

After that we walked about 20 minutes to Pont des Arts, otherwise known as the "Love Lock Bridge"--see controversy http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/30/travel/paris-love-locks-bridges-feat/... Unfortunately the bridge railings were covered in hard plastic, so we couldn't attach a padlock. We walked a few meters to the next bridge and were able to purchase a padlock for 10 euro. It's a dumb tradition, but cool site to see and i guess it's "romantic". To be honest, I felt a bit bad hurting the bridge and river like that...

From there we went to the Marais for shopping, chocolate, falafel and bakeries. Damyel was wonderful and felt really authentic and Parisian to us. (Perhaps it was the cashier who was stereotypical Parisian--accent, floppy hat, mannerisms, etc.?). It was intense seeing all those armed soldiers, and even though I didn't wear a kippah, went with a beanie or hat, it felt a lot scarier than Israel ever has.

Shopping took up the remainder of the day. We were wiped so we headed back to the Hotel to change and get ready for dinner. We checked out La Fille de Boucher. Overall really solid experience. We were so full and tired from the long day to really order a lot of food, but we were able to get good deli/grilled chicken on the side with baguettes for our flight back.... You can never trust that kosher airline food, especially on united!

Though this was my first time in Europe and I have nothing to compare it to, it felt like a great introduction to Europe. Au revoir pour le moment!

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: December 15, 2015, 04:19:13 PM »
Thanks for sharing! Pics would be appreciated.

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: December 15, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
@yuguy,

Thanks for the report.  Excellent detail. You didn't mention your perception of the PHP. Blown away, or just really nice, or what? Any special treatment?

How were your flights?

Sorry to hear the "apprehension factor" was high.   :(

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2424 on: December 15, 2015, 04:44:31 PM »
@yuguy,

Thanks for the report.  Excellent detail. You didn't mention your perception of the PHP. Blown away, or just really nice, or what? Any special treatment?

How were your flights?

+1 also curious to hear your thoughts on hotel

Offline yuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: December 15, 2015, 04:46:22 PM »
All shot with iPhone 6 or 6s.

Champs Elysees Illumination

Awesome shot of the Eiffel Tower on a foggy night

Love Lock Bridge from far

Love Lock Bridge Upclose

French Macaroons at Damyel

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: December 15, 2015, 04:47:52 PM »
Nice! Thanks for sharing! Besides the PHP, how were those macarons?

Offline yuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: December 15, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »
+1 also curious to hear your thoughts on hotel

@yuguy,

How were your flights?

Because I booked Wednesday night and we left thursday night, the J options were limited. We flew coach (sorry guys!) On AA and took advantage of the currently lenghty period of off-peak to Europe. The flight was very empty. About 40 seats empty! so we both were able to stretch out.

Back was direct, UA J. Nothing amazing, but better than coach for 7+ hours.

Park Hyatt was really a beautiful hotel and what I've come to expect from top tier hyatt hotels. The downsides as a lowly platinum, the "upgrade" wasn't really an upgrade. The rooms are small, but standard in Paris/Europe from what i'm told. B/c we were there for such a short time we literally only slept at the hotels. Sure it was super comfortable and clean, if i didn't have two hyatt sign up nights, i'd probably have used less points elsewhere. I'd say my stay at the Andaz Maui this summer was better. Very different hotels, though.

In fact...Our third night we stayed at the Hyatt Hotel De Louvre, about 15 minute walk from the park hyatt. We actually got a view. the hotel is aged, for sure, but clean and has a very charming character to it. I think it's a famous hotel. You also cant beat that location, especially considering we went to the louvre after checking in at 8am--they actually gave us a room! for 20k points a night, not worth it, but we did cash and points 10k + 112 USD. Not bad.

Offline yuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: December 15, 2015, 04:52:41 PM »
Nice! Thanks for sharing! Besides the PHP, how were those macarons?

The praline ones--the ones that are light brown with little nuts--were unbelievable! We obviously bought a bunch home. They last 3-4 days in the fridge, we were told. Way better than any macaroon i've had in the US.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: December 15, 2015, 05:11:24 PM »
Nice quick report! Glad you had a nice time.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: December 15, 2015, 05:16:01 PM »
The praline ones--the ones that are light brown with little nuts--were unbelievable! We obviously bought a bunch home. They last 3-4 days in the fridge, we were told. Way better than any macaroon i've had in the US.
I had the praline one this summer as well. Indeed tasty. There's a macaron place here in LA that's excellent though a bit more expensive. That's why I prefer to make my own: super cheap and, once you get the hang of it, not too hard.

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: December 15, 2015, 05:44:51 PM »
"The flight was very empty. About 40 seats empty! so we both were able to stretch out."

Ghetto lie-flat, I think is what Dan calls it.  ;)

Can't wait to visit in January.  Probably will be repetitive, but, b'li neder,  I'll post a quick TR if there's interest.

Offline yuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: December 15, 2015, 06:00:56 PM »
"The flight was very empty. About 40 seats empty! so we both were able to stretch out."

Ghetto lie-flat, I think is what Dan calls it.  ;)

Can't wait to visit in January.  Probably will be repetitive, but, b'li neder,  I'll post a quick TR if there's interest.

Haha, yes it was like that!

Please post a quick TR! As I told you, I wasn't going to because there are already so many TRs on paris (just like Hawaii!), but i'm happy I did. I have it for myself and non-DDF family/friends as well.

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: December 16, 2015, 08:49:22 PM »
Haha, yes it was like that!

Please post a quick TR! As I told you, I wasn't going to because there are already so many TRs on paris (just like Hawaii!), but i'm happy I did. I have it for myself and non-DDF family/friends as well.

Ok, will do. At least there will be one reader.   ;D

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: December 20, 2015, 10:54:47 AM »
Besides the 2 hotels in the wiki, any other good hotel redemption options? Preferable next to the Eiffel Tower.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: December 20, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »
Besides the 2 hotels in the wiki, any other good hotel redemption options? Preferable next to the Eiffel Tower.
Probably. Did you check IHG, Marriott or Hilton?

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: December 20, 2015, 12:00:18 PM »
I can't see the wiki but the Marriott on champs elysees is pretty good redemption rate

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #2437 on: December 21, 2015, 10:32:06 PM »
I can't see the wiki but the Marriott on champs elysees is pretty good redemption rate

Very nice hotel. Esecially if you get the suite with the balcony on the champs elysees!! 😍

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: January 05, 2016, 03:15:50 PM »
Hi, I've asked before and gotten no response, so I'll try one last time and make it quick:
Has anyone davened and/or eaten on Shabbat at the Synagogue de la Victoire (Grand Synagogue)?
(Or, if I should just do like everyone else and go to Chabad, that would be a fine answer, too!)
Thanks.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2439 on: January 05, 2016, 03:21:08 PM »
Loved the shabbos at Chabad on the CE.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.