Topic Wiki

This is the thread where you can ask any random question you have. Feel free to ask even the most basic questions that you otherwise might be embarrassed to ask. This is the thread for beginners, so veterans here will treat you nicely. Ask a beginner's Q in some other threads and no guarantee of that same treatment. ;)
People here want to help, so just have some patience, follow the tips below and hopefully someone will help you when they have a chance.

If you looking for a particular thread you once saw and can't find it, this is not the place to ask. Check out Help Me Find It and ask there.

How to ask a question in this thread:
Click the blue reply button at the top or bottom of the page, type your question, and click post!

Some helpful tips for eliciting answers from other members:
- Keep your question short and precise. No one wants to read a megillah.
- The more questions you ask in one post, the less likely any will be answered. People are willing to answer a question or two, but if you ask all the questions that apply to your particular issue, you're expecting to be spoonfed. Members don't like holding out the spoon, so ask accordingly.

If you Need Help booking Flights?
Need Help Finding a Paid Ticket
Need Help Finding a Award Ticket

« Last edited by DoreshEmes on April 11, 2019, 03:54:27 AM »

Author Topic: Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!  (Read 1754568 times)

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!
« Reply #860 on: April 05, 2013, 01:12:31 AM »
Ah okay. I understand- theres a closing date, when the cycle ends. And a due date- when you have to pay it by in order not to incur fees.
(is that right?)
Thanks alot for you clarification!
Yes.

Some advice, be on top of it as much as possible, you won't regret it ;)

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #861 on: April 05, 2013, 01:17:28 AM »
Yes.

Some advice, be on top of it as much as possible, you won't regret it ;)
Thanks!
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline Fan of Dan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 05, 2013, 03:08:47 AM »
Booking a ticket for me and a friend. Know month and year but not day. Domestic travel on AA using BA miles. Can I just make up a date?

Online sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 05, 2013, 08:45:34 AM »
Booking a ticket for me and a friend. Know month and year but not day. Domestic travel on AA using BA miles. Can I just make up a date?

Birthday?

Yeah.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 05, 2013, 09:15:23 AM »

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 05, 2013, 11:05:04 AM »
After booking a ticket using BA miles on AA I did not get an email from BA. I did however manage to search for it on AA's website and it said ticketed and allowed us to choose seats. Any need for concern?

Online sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 05, 2013, 11:09:15 AM »
thanks
After you get the correct date I'd call up and fix it.

Online sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 05, 2013, 11:09:41 AM »
After booking a ticket using BA miles on AA I did not get an email from BA. I did however manage to search for it on AA's website and it said ticketed and allowed us to choose seats. Any need for concern?

How long did you wait? It takes a good couple of minutes IME.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 05, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
How long did you wait? It takes a good couple of minutes IME.
I booked it ten hours ago, hence my concern.

Offline MEIR613

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 05, 2013, 11:11:54 AM »
Check your spam

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: April 05, 2013, 11:13:33 AM »
Check your spam
Yeah thanks just checked it and there it was. So wierd cause I always get their emails.

Offline joey123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Location: Modern Mashgiach at Chovevei (YCT) #ResidentMashgiach
  • Programs: Daven for the Chayalim #IStandWithIsrael
« Reply #871 on: April 07, 2013, 05:29:49 PM »
I am a beginner and just opened up my first student credit card, so please forgive me if i don't use the proper DDF terminology. Based on some reading, I have gathered that its ideal to pay most of your Credit off after it posts and not wait until it shows up on the statement. This will of course help one keep his credit utilization low. It seems that ideally, one should only spend up to 20-25 percent of his spending limit.

So, lets take a case where someone has an $1000 spending limit. Would it be prudent for him to spend 750, pay off 600 immediately when it posts and then allow for 150 to show up on his statement? This will therefore ensure that only 150 is reported to the credit bureau at the end of the month. Or shd he just spend the $150 on the card and then pay at the end of statement.

In essence, I am asking the following. If a person pays off his credit immediately after it posts and never waits until the statement, will he ever improve his credit? It would seem to me that the credit bureaus will never see any usage of his cards?!

If someone can please confirm that i am understanding this properly, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if someone has some more advice on good ways to build your credit, please let me know. 
To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Online sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 07, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »
I am a beginner and just opened up my first student credit card, so please forgive me if i don't use the proper DDF terminology. Based on some reading, I have gathered that its ideal to pay most of your Credit off after it posts and not wait until it shows up on the statement. This will of course help one keep his credit utilization low. It seems that ideally, one should only spend up to 20-25 percent of his spending limit.

So, lets take a case where someone has an $1000 spending limit. Would it be prudent for him to spend 750, pay off 600 immediately when it posts and then allow for 150 to show up on his statement? This will therefore ensure that only 150 is reported to the credit bureau at the end of the month. Or shd he just spend the $150 on the card and then pay at the end of statement.

In essence, I am asking the following. If a person pays off his credit immediately after it posts and never waits until the statement, will he ever improve his credit? It would seem to me that the credit bureaus will never see any usage of his cards?!

If someone can please confirm that i am understanding this properly, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if someone has some more advice on good ways to build your credit, please let me know.

Always leave a bit that's due when the statement closes. It seems to me you get the idea.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #873 on: April 07, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
Frankly, I never worry about paying off right when I swipe. Definitely more trouble than it's worth.

The one exception would be right before a round of apps, where the closer your util % to 1-10% the better.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline joey123

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 07, 2013, 05:37:24 PM »
Thanks.

So basically, I don't need to worry about using %70 of spending limit if at the time of the statement, its down to %10. correct?
To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #875 on: April 07, 2013, 05:38:50 PM »
correct

Offline MEIR613

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 07, 2013, 05:39:03 PM »
Thanks.

So basically, I don't need to worry about using %70 of spending limit if at the time of the statement, its down to %10. correct?
You got it.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #877 on: April 07, 2013, 05:39:28 PM »
Thanks.

Again, I don't worry about such things. And, different issuers report at different times, so you trying to payoff before the "statement date" maybe be a fool's game too late.

Having 70% usage, though not recommended, is really irrelevant unless, as I mentioned above, you're doing a round of apps in the near future, or you're super sensitive to the possibility of A/A or FR.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #878 on: April 07, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »
Would a negative balance (meaning the CC company owes me money on the card)  help your credit score or me owing them $1 is better?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline joey123

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 07, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
@AJK I got it thanks.

One more quick question: I am a college student and as i wrote above, I just opened my first card. How many months should i wait before i start applying for the non-student cards? In other words, how many months does it take to start building your credit?