Author Topic: Share your longest / craziest / most memorable DRIVES here  (Read 42671 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Share your longest / craziest / most memorable DRIVES here
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2012, 10:22:23 PM »
On the way here: (the major stops)
NY > MKE > ORD > Bryce Canyon NP > Zion NP > LAX > Berkeley

For the way back I'll probably do
Berkeley > Yellowstone / Grand Teton > Mt Rushmore (maybe Wind Cave if there's time) > Badlands > MKE > NY > Cape Cod

Wow- sounds like a great trip!:)
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
You're lucky it wasn't NY, some "giants on bikes" could get violent after such an incident...

...and I could reverse and drive again....

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2012, 04:23:38 PM »
Passed 220 KMPH on the Fernch-Swiss border on a motse shabbos at 5am.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline creditor

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Share your longest / craziest / most memorable DRIVES here
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2012, 04:42:04 PM »
Passed 220 KMPH on the Fernch-Swiss border on a motse shabbos at 5am.
hope you didn't to that on 220 kmph :))
I'm just say'in©®

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2012, 11:46:14 PM »
Have a bunch
Longest non stop was Toronto-Cincinnati (490 miles) in 6:45

Drove Toronto - Monsey and back in a 28 hour span (solo driver)

NYC-Toronto -

1)Last year during Chanukah got stuck in a blizzard a third of the way into the trip drove behind a snow plow for close to a 100 miles (the trip took about 14 hours) only driver

2)Erev shavuos coming from a freinds wedding did the trip in 8:45 including hour and 15 min. Shacharis stop. The car did not have cruise control so down 1 hill I was doing about 85 (didn't notice till after) and drove right past a cop who had his radar gun pointing @ me. B"H and for reasons I will never know he didn't pull me over.

More stories to come

Offline lfas25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
I've got many of these... my most recent was a few years ago, riding my motorcycle (CBR600RR) from Lakewood to Virginia Beach. It took 12 hours as my friends that checked the weather didn't check through out the trip only starting and ending points.... we left as it was getting dark, and it started pouring rain and temperature of about 40 going down. Coming back was a great nice ride of mid 80's and sunshine, did it with just 3 stops for gas & food in about 5 hours.
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline lfas25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
The beauty of a V1.. Back in the day I did Lakewood to Monsey in about 50 minutes. Palisades from GWB to exit 11 in about 15 min (cruising at 115 I kid you not). Eventually I got pulled over at gunpoint (I KID YOU NOT).

I have a V1 as well, paid itself off quiet a few times already!
Speaking about guns... I got stopped for speeding on the way back from a shooting range. Scared the cop (as I had guns in my trunk) and that got me off my speeding ticket  :)
If you want to hear the entire story I could type it up.
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2012, 02:10:50 PM »
Most Memorable Drive - The Cabot Trail around Cape Breton at the northern tip of Nova Scotia.  Most beautiful drive I've ever done, with some hiking opportunities and interesting artisan shops along the way.  Takes about 5 hours if you drive the speed limit and make no stops, but believe me you will want to make stops.  I even found seder plates and kiddush cups at some glass artist shop.

Pictures are here:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/566922877gMUvFG

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
Most Memorable Drive - The Cabot Trail around Cape Breton at the northern tip of Nova Scotia.  Most beautiful drive I've ever done, with some hiking opportunities and interesting artisan shops along the way.  Takes about 5 hours if you drive the speed limit and make no stops, but believe me you will want to make stops.  I even found seder plates and kiddush cups at some glass artist shop.

Pictures are here:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/566922877gMUvFG

I'm in.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2012, 02:28:24 PM »
I forgot to mention that the Cabot Trail was part of a 3,000 mile road trip I took starting and ending in Monsey, NY.  We also hit up Acadia National Park, Halifax NS, and Prince Edward Island as well as several stops in New Brunswick and Maine.

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2012, 02:31:21 PM »
Longest
CLE-Monsey
10.5 hours (traffic)
10-5-2009

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »
Scariest drive ever was in a small rental car in New Zealand. They were having the largest blizzard in 80 years, was all over the news and I had to drive about five hours each of the first 2 days. When I landed I went into a gas station to get the weather, and when I said where I was going they said drive now and drive fast to beat the blizzard. Shortly after I crossed that mountain pass the road got closed for an entire week!

The next morning snow was everywhere and I still had one large pass to cross. Was told by several locals not to go but I didn't want my trip ruined so I went for it. As I entered the mountains I saw a sign which said CHAINS ESSENTIAL! Meaning snow chains but I didn't have for my little Getz. I distracted my wife as we drove past the sign so she shouldn't see it and we went way up into the mountains during this snowstorm. No phones or anything. We crossed this really high pass with these crazy cliffs in the falling snow. I averaged about 10 KM per hour.

Later that day that road closed for the week! I finally bought chains at the next town and have them stored in New Zealand for when I go back!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2012, 02:34:57 AM »
Later that day that road closed for the week! I finally bought chains at the next town and have them stored in New Zealand for when I go back!

Wow, nice.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2012, 09:29:57 AM »
Longest must have been one of the many times i drove Chicago/New york. Though I didn't keep stats.
Craziest: when I was learning in New Haven we would go back and forth to NY few times a week, I once topped 110MPH on the I-95, then proceeded to get pulled over 20 minutes later for going 70, go figure...
Most memorable was probably up Mount Washington NH or the grand loop road in Yellowstone.

Now if you want to broaden the deffinition of drive to include a walk I think http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=20422.0 should count for all 3 ::)

Offline Ebaystores

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
Craziest trip for me: I was driving to Atlanta from NY 10 years ago to register my car there, I left wed. night with only my 13 year old brother for company, got a ticket for speeding and got to Atlanta at 6 am. Spent the day hanging out and then headed back that night with only an hours sleep and needing to get back to NY for shabbos. So as soon as it got dark, I feel exhausted, and keep needing to pull onto the shoulder for catnaps.  So I took some nodoz, but that didnt help. So by the next truck stop I asked them for something that would wake me up saying nodoz didnt help. They said yeah, it never worked for me, try this and gave me something called "black Ice" an over the counter natural thingie. WEll I took it, and 20 minutes later pulled over for another nap. Next thing I know, I am driving in the left lane, and my mind seemed brain washed, my mind kept telling me "nothing is true except you can slow down under 60 or go over 75, at which point I realized that this is insane but couldnt seem to get out of this mode for what felt like hours! After I managed to "deprogram" myself  I realized I was driving like that for 5 miles based on the mile marker where I pulled over for my nap. Ever since then I avoid all those "natural" pills. Although for the record, A friend of mine, who I told the story to purposefully tried to take no doz and black ice together but did not get any reaction.
I am doing the first week of Bike 4 Friendship. http://sponsor.bike4friendship.org/mendy

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2012, 02:22:42 AM »
Craziest: when I was learning in New Haven we would go back and forth to NY few times a week, I once topped 110MPH on the I-95, then proceeded to get pulled over 20 minutes later for going 70, go figure...

Lucky. Getting clocked at 110 on the i-95 would be bad, really bad...
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2012, 12:13:16 PM »
Lucky. Getting clocked at 110 on the i-95 would be bad, really bad...
Yeah that's when I was young and stupid (believe it or not i used to be :P ). Still I couldn't have helped thinking at the time "Dand if he would have cought me 20 minutes ago boy would I have had a story"  >:( :-\

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2012, 03:35:24 PM »
Craziest: when I was learning in New Haven we would go back and forth to NY few times a week, I once topped 110MPH on the I-95
meh I used to cruise 110-115 on the I-95 when I learned in Baltimore. Highway is as straight as a runway, it's hard not to speed.

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2012, 11:22:50 AM »
...Highway is as straight as a runway....

There's a reason for that! 

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2013, 03:12:05 AM »
My new craziest drive was earlier in the summer driving cross-country with my wife and kids.

But we'll see how long that holds, I expect my drive back (starting tomorrow iy"h) to be even crazier...
What was your route?
On the way here: (the major stops)
NY > MKE > ORD > Bryce Canyon NP > Zion NP > LAX > Berkeley

For the way back I'll probably do
Berkeley > Yellowstone / Grand Teton > Mt Rushmore (maybe Wind Cave if there's time) > Badlands > MKE > NY > Cape Cod
I guess this update is a few months overdue...
That drive back from CA to NY is definitely my current craziest drive.

My itinerary ended up being
Berkeley > Yellowstone / Grand Teton > Mt Rushmore (+ some smaller attractions in the black hills area) > Badlands > MKE > NY (for a few hours) > Cape Cod
What made it particularly crazy was that we left Berkeley Tues. evening and didn't stop (other than for the attractions, gas etc.) until we hit Milwaukee Friday morning. -which wouldn't have been so crazy in of itself, had I not done it with my wife and 3 small children. (ages barely 2 - 6 at the time)