Topic Wiki

Kauai Overview/DansMeals:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/39185

Trip Reports:
Dan 2014
Dan 2009, Auntiemus, Benarroc, Westman812, Hudi, Yellow, Lechaim2life, DanFan2010, Jmansour, Something Fishy, Rivky, chuchem, dealvr, Amusch,
Tzadik Nistar, an613, @Yehuda, @Ygygold, Wizmanison 2017, CGR

Dan's concierge packet.

Related DDF Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread

Before you go:

How long should I go for?
You could spend 10 years on Kauai and not get your fill. That being said, the bare minimum to enjoy your stay is 4 days on the ground. A week is ideal.

It's possible to do a short trip by leaving early Sunday morning, getting there in the afternoon, and then leaving Thursday night and being back home for shabbos.

Do I need a guide book?
Very definitely. Sure you could find most info online, but nothing compares to a good, written-by-a-local, guide book. Kauai Revealed is by far the best option, and will possibly be the best $16 you spent on your trip.

What about Shabbos?
Some authorities hold that there's a dateline issue with Shabbos.
The local communities keep shabbos on Saturday.
Definitely ask your LOR before you go - some hold simply that Shabbos is on Saturday, some hold that you have to keep Shabbos on both Friday and Saturday, and some hold that you have to keep D'oreisas on Friday and full Shabbos on Saturday.

If you must keep 2 days, remember that there are many questions that could come up (such as when to light Shabbos candles, how to warm up food, etc.), so make sure to discuss it all with your LOR.

There have been books written about the Chabad opinion of keeping shabbos only on Saturday. Rabbi Aharon Dovid Gancz gives an absolutely fascinating pilpul on the topic, if you get a chance to attend one please record it (with permission) and upload the video online.

Getting there and getting around:

Air:
The main airport is in Lihue, and is designated LIH.
You could fly directly from the mainland to LIH from
DEN (UA)
LAX (AA, DL, HA, UA)
OAK (AS, HA)
SAN (AS)
SEA (AS)
SFO (UA)
SJC (AS)
PDX (AS)
PHX (US)
YVR (WestJet)

There are no direct flights from the East coast, so you will stop in one of these cities.
Alternately, you could fly directly to Honolulu (HNL) and continue to LIH from there.

Hawaiian, Go, and Island Air fly interisland to LIH from HNL and OGG. There are no direct flights between LIH and the Big Island (ITO/KOA).

You can also use 5K AA or, 6k UA, or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.

Car:
A car is necessary on Kauai. All major companies have branches, mostly at the airport. There are also some local companies.

National has Executive Aisle/Selection at the airport, but Hertz doesn't have Gold Choice. Avis also has a desk at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. Check out www.discounthawaiicarrental.com - they book from the major brands, and are worth a try.

There's nothing like a convertible on Kauai, but a 4WD is better (sometimes even necessary) for certain places such as Polihale Beach or Milolii Ridge Road. Taking a convertible for most of your stay and a 4WD for a day or two is a good idea.

Where to stay:

There are 3 major areas where to stay. The South side is drier so good weather is more or less guaranteed. The North side is far prettier, with sheer cliffs and a backdrop of lovely green mountains. However, the weather in winter could be rainy and it can be buggy as well.
The rain typically doesn't last long, and is usually accompanied by numerous rainbows, so it's usually not too bad. However, it's something you should take into account. The East side has the cities of Lihue and Kapa'a, alone with countless hotels and resorts. This area isn't as beautiful and the North or South side.

When choosing an area also consider how far it is to your chosen activities, not just the weather, For example, it takes about an hour from the Grand Hyatt to Waimea Canyon, but over two hours from the St. Regis.  On the other hand the St. Regis is much closer to north shore activities.

Here are some places that are discussed in this thread:

NameAreaMore InfoComments
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Grand Hyatt KauaiSouth sideWebsiteGenerally considered to be the top hotel on Kauai, and countless DDF'ers have stayed there. The weather is perfect year-round, it's right by Poipu beach, and you drive through an awesome tree tunnel to get there. There are countless pools and exotic birds all around.
St. Regis PrincevilleNorth sideWebsiteAnother beautiful hotel, this is an SPG category 7. The setting of the SRP is absolutely breathtaking, with the ocean crashing on the cliffs below and the waterfall-filled mountains in the background. The views from the rooms are unparalleled, but most rooms have no balconies.
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas North sideWebsiteSPG category 6.
Sheraton Kauai Resort South sideWebsiteSPG category 5.
"Get your own place"AnywhereWebsiteThere are countless condos, timeshares, or villas available to rent on the island. The advantages are that you get more for your money - a couple of bedrooms, living/dining rooms, and a full kitchen. There will usually be a pool, sometimes even a private one. Additionally, they're often cheaper than a hotel. There are many places to find them -
 HomeAway Kauai
VRBO Kauai
Airbnb Kauai, etc.

What to do:

Beaches:
There are countless beaches on Kauai, and all are public. Most offer amazing snorkeling. The East and South side beaches are safe for swimming / snorkeling year round, while some North and West beaches could be deadly in winter. Here are some popular ones, in no particular order:

NameAreaComments
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
PoipuSouth sideThis beach is right by the GHK. Full amenities (lifeguard, showers, etc.). Snorkeling is amazing here, especially in the morning. Sea turtles and the critically endangered Hawaiian monk seal are commonly seen here. Gorgeous sunsets.
Ke'eNorth sideThis beach is the gateway to the famous Kalalau Trail. The view from here is amazing, looking out over the majestic Na Pali cliffs. Great snorkeling, with a large fringing reef. This beach could be deadly winter, when 20-foot waves crash onto shore. However, at times it's perfectly calm. Use common sense. The beach is part of Hāʻena State Park
TunnelsNorth sideBeautiful crescent beach, with a lovely view of "Puff the Magic Dragon" mountain. Great snorkeling, and beautiful sunrises. May be dangerous in winter.
LumahaiNorth sideVery pretty beach, where they filmed South Pacific. Extremely dangerous winter.
PolihaleWest side17 solid miles of uninterrupted sand. Fairly remote, and accessible only via dirt and sand road, so 4WD is preferred. Unswimmable most of the year, but the area called Queens Pond is safe all year round. Since it's so huge, you could easily find a secluded spot. Great view of the south side of Na Pali, with amazing sunsets.
Queen's BathNorth sideThis is a rocky beach by the cliffs under Princeville. Very cool during the summer, when you could swim in a rock pool with the fish, but absolutely deadly during the winter (people die there all the time).
KalalauNorth sideOne of the most beautiful beaches in the entire world. Unfortunately, it's only accessible via one of the most difficult and most dangerous hikes in the world, the Kalalau Trail.
HonopūNorth sideAnother one of the top ten beaches in the world. The only way to get there is by swimming - from Kalalau beach :o!
Hanalei BayNorth sideA beautiful crescent beach with wonderful views. Mediocre snorkeling, but safe even in the winter. Very predictable waves, so this is the top spot for learning to surf or paddle. Breathtaking sunrises and sunsets.
SecretNorth sideRelatively secluded beach, and needs a bit of a hike to get there.
LydgateEast sideA fully protected beach, with pretty good snorkeling. Great for little kids, but is usually very busy.
NawiliwiliEast sideBoring beach, but the park of the the side is a nice place to stop for lunch and watch the kitesurfers.
Kapa'aEast sideAnother relatively boring beach, but a nice place to have lunch if you're in Kapa'a.

Hiking:
There are a tremendous amount of great hikes on Kauai. Check the Kauai Revealed book for detailed info on all of them, with maps, difficulty ratings, etc. These are just a few which are discussed in this thread:

NameAreaComments
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hike 1Area 1Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Hike 2Area 2Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Other activities:

ActivityComments
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Helicopter toursEasily the most expensive activity on Kauai, and easily the most amazing. You get to see otherwise inaccessible places - among others, you fly into Waimea Canyon, along the stunning Na Pali coast, and into the crater of the extinct Mount Waiʻaleʻale, now the wettest place on earth. It's an experience that could simply not be matched. Blue Hawaiian is the most popular and usually recommended. Jack Harter also flies amazing doors-off tours, which are wet, windy, and exhilirating :D.
Powered hang glidingThis is a unique flight lesson (counts a flying time for a pilot's license) in what's basically a motorized tricycle with wings. Supposed to be tremendous fun. Offered by Birds in Paradise.
Waimea CanyonLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Kalalau Valley overlookLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Hanalei Valley overlook
Kayaking
Biking
ATVing
Horseback riding
Ziplining
Cruises
4 Wheel Driving

Shopping:
  • Costco in Lihue has some kosher food, as well as the cheapest gas on the island
  • Wal-Mart, also in Lihue, also has some kosher food

« Last edited by cgr on February 24, 2022, 09:16:59 PM »

Author Topic: Kauai, HI Master Thread  (Read 823920 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Kauai, HI Master Thread
« Reply #1120 on: August 27, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »
Leave it for "Shmuel"
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Kauai, HI Master Thread
« Reply #1121 on: August 27, 2014, 03:28:06 PM »
Leave it for "Shmuel"
Happy to, if I actually know someone will come claim it and it won't just get tossed.
Otherwise I might as well keep it for our last day in the north and then get rid of it myself.
Hard to believe no one else is coming..

Offline yankel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: August 27, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »
Im coming to GHK on friday sep 5

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: August 28, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »
Happy to, if I actually know someone will come claim it and it won't just get tossed.
Otherwise I might as well keep it for our last day in the north and then get rid of it myself.
Hard to believe no one else is coming..

Can you get a permit for a 6-month time capsule? I'll dig it up when I get there :)

Offline arid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 28, 2014, 09:02:17 PM »
Anyone? Bueller?
is it too much to ask the chabad to hold onto it for the next person? in turn ppl will donate $10 per use to chabad. this can last all year.....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1125 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:15 PM »
is it too much to ask the chabad to hold onto it for the next person? in turn ppl will donate $10 per use to chabad. this can last all year.....
GHK to Chabad is over an hour drive.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 28, 2014, 09:09:32 PM »
ah yes yes. ju st got back from kauai. i started writing a trip report. its LOOOOOOONNNGGGGGG. stay tuned.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1127 on: August 28, 2014, 09:37:50 PM »
ah yes yes. ju st got back from kauai. i started writing a trip report. its LOOOOOOONNNGGGGGG. stay tuned.

The longer the better :)
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: August 28, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1129 on: August 28, 2014, 09:40:04 PM »

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 28, 2014, 09:41:58 PM »
The longer the better :)
you're gonna regret that........

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1131 on: August 28, 2014, 09:42:44 PM »
you're gonna regret that........

Try me  ;D

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »
Try me  ;D
whats the best way to post many pics to the forum? I feel like a dropbox or box.com link is the best way

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1133 on: August 28, 2014, 09:57:28 PM »
whats the best way to post many pics to the forum? I feel like a dropbox or box.com link is the best way

I use Flickr.

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 28, 2014, 10:00:36 PM »

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1135 on: August 28, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 28, 2014, 10:11:05 PM »
Do guys really like super detailed TR's here?

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 28, 2014, 11:56:39 PM »
Some might say this trip report is long winded, but I prefer to call it very detailed, something I personally was looking for when reading others’ trip reports. I think this trip had a great balance of chilling and activities. There really is so much more to do than this but I think I really hit up the main one's.

We took off Sunday 9:30 AM on Delta from JFK to LAX on lie-flat seats, LAX to HNL in cattle-car-class ($92 of course) and took a Hawaiian Airlines flight to LIH.  They were able to check the bags through to Kauai. If someone tells you otherwise, speak to a manger. We got in at about 8:15pm Hawaii time (after about 18hrs of travel). I found the interisland tickets on HA website to be over $10 less than Orbitz so we got a $100 credit from Orbitz using their Best Rate Guarantee. We checked in to Grand Hyatt Kauai.

-The check in process: It was very hard to get a step by step help from ppl on the forum on how to do this by buying free-night certs. Basically, I bought 2 free nights from 2 separate people, plus one cash+points award from my account for a total of 5 nights. The first 2 nights i was a “second guest” with a diamond member so we emailed before hand requesting a suite. We got it. Not the most insane one I’ve ever seen but very nice and spacious. Wife waited in the car till I was all checked in. Met me in the room. I felt like 007. Once checked in, i would call in between check-ins/outs to make sure i don't need to change rooms. They never gave me a problem.

-The hotel: It’s pretty amazing. The views, the vibes, the rooms, the facilities were all great. It almost seemed like a waste staying there bec we spent so much time away from the hotel. It is worth the money if you have the $200-250/night to buy the award nights. If not, don't beat yourself up. The Sheraton is nice too for 9k/night SPG’s and maybe a fellow dansdealer would share their room number so you could get towels & use the facilities. I was actually thinking of doing this but some one didn't respond. (you know who you are.....(cough cough))

-The car: A friend of mine got some random corporate code at Avis so we got a wrangler for 5 days for $282 (including taxes/fees). If that didn’t work we had a backup reservation with Costco Travel for $354, the cheapest I was able to find.

Itenerary:

-Sunday night we gave the hotel chef our suitcase of frozen food and gave him 2 Chap-A-Nosh meals from Gourmet Glatt (5Towns) to heat up. Had them deliver it to the rooms. Meals were very good and I particularly liked the poppers and potato knishes.

-Monday: We were up by 630am due to jetlag. We started off the day with Oahu Kosher pancakes and waffles, complements of the Regency Club. Pancakes were better than the waffles which were pretty dry (probably one freezes better than the other). They charged us $4 to have it delivered to the room. 
We were in Costco by 10am opening to buy a toaster oven and Blue Hawaiian Helicopter gift cards. After confirming several times, you cannot combine the gift cards with the $210 internet price. So for $400 we got 5 $100 GC. Two full-price tickets is about $480 and we used the leftover credit (plus $5) to buy the video. I’m glad I got the video but quality is very weak & doesn't do it justice. Out of all the things we did, THIS IS A MUST DO. Do not bother coming if you don’t do this! I did a plane ride over TBI and didn't feel i was missing out. But in kauai, you have to do the heli bec a plane ride wont cut it. It is a real-life IMAX experience. Warning: if you are a fatty like me, don’t plan on getting a front seat. Seems the best you could hope for is back seat, second from the right. You can see it all no matter where you sit but for picture taking (which won't be great bec of glare) it’s the worst you can get. Another warning: If you are 5 pounds fatter than me (255lbs) then they make you buy a seat and a half. If you are 262, they wont bust your chops. Up to 265ish, they assume your boych wont throw the helicopter off course. After that, who know what will happen!!?
We went back to chill at the hotel pool. Wow what a crazy pool area.
We stopped at the Glass Sand Beach on the way to Salt Pond State Park for BBQ supper and sunset with mokellman and wife. They have picnic tables and covered gazebos with lights. The best view of the sunset is either by the rocks on the water or if you leave the park and make a right, you can catch more of a view. At the beach, we joined an authentic Hawaiian kumzitz. A bunch of locals with guitars and smelly food were singing the night away. They were very welcoming and offered us some of their pig brains and tongue.They claim to do this every night there. It was a very authentic experience.

-Tuesday: We got Regency Club breakfast again. We hung out in the Anara Spa for the morning. They have a nice lap pool, comfy beach chairs, jacuzzis, wet and dry saunas and lava outdoor showers (cool rainbows bouncing off you in the sun). Nothing really special, just much quieter and relaxing than the busy pool.
At about 1pm we head out to Waimea Canyon. A great tip from the Revealed app was to take Waimea Canyon Road up the mountain, not Kokee Rd. A lot of the really nice views are on the way up on random shoulders on the road, not always at the official lookouts. The nicest one, the Pu’u o Kila Lookout is aaaalllllllll the way at the end. I couldn't believe my eyes. Wow. We stopped at the Kalalua Lookout, and all the other major ones along the way. We also did the 4WD Miloloi’i Ridge Road. It’s definitely fun to drive. When you get to the end by the satellite dishes, start to climb down a bit for a better view. We started doing that and it started raining so we got back in the car.I regret not waiting it out. Also, make sure to have primary insurance bec we scratched the car up pretty bad towards the end of the road, though we haven't heard from Avis.
At about 5ish we high tailed outta there to Polihale State Park for sunset. The 5 mile dirt road can be done in any car. There are no major potholes or anything like that. Just 15 min of annoying vibrating. Even though I bet the wrangler would be able to handle the beach sand, it’s really not worth the risk considering the cost of towing, on the small chance you get stuck. Beautiful sunset and nice swimming. That night we heated up a pan of corned beef we brought with some sides, in our toaster oven.

-Wednesday: We got a late-ish start to the day. We left GHK 10:30ish and made to to the Kalalua Trail by 12:45. We planned on doing the first 2 miles till Hanakapiai Beach. Now I don't care what anyone says but for your average guy with a baalabatishe boych and does not exercise besides the occasional Thursday or Saturday night ball game, this hike was very difficult! Far from impossible but very challenging. You climb straight up 600+ feet and go straight down the same to the beach, over the course of 2 miles.  Essentially, you climb and descend 50-something flights of stairs and do it again on the way back. Again, not impossible but hard. The beach and the sites along that way are amazing and yes, it is worth it. Three 1.5 liters of water was enough for my wife and I. It took us 1:20 to get there. spent a little over an hour chilling/swimming (be careful, waves are strong) and about 1:20 to get back. We planned on snorkeling at Ke’e Beach (which is right there) after but we skipped it bec we were pooped.
We drove back to Po’ipu Beach park for sunset and another BBQ. Genius mokellman lost the grate for the grill so we had to drive out to walmart to get another so we ended up grilling at Kalapaki Beach. Nothing special there.

Thursday: We were at the Kamokila Hawaiian Village by 9:30am and there were still plenty of kayak/canoes (or canaks as they like to call them). No reservations needed, they told us to show up before 10 and we’ll get one. mokellman and wife were still sore from kayaking for 45+ min the day before so we knew to start at Kamokila which was a 10 min kayak trip from the beginning of the Secret Falls Trail. Unless you are into kayaking, it’s a big mistake to start anywhere but here. The trail to secret falls was a walk in the park compared to Kalalua. The trail was very muddy, like 2 inches of mud at some points. If you just embrace it in the beginning and don’t spend time trying to avoid the mud, you’ll enjoy the hike more and save time. Though I can't explain why i suddenly had a crazy craving for thick gewey chocolate cake……..  At one point you need to walk across a river, about 2 feet deep and there’s a rope across to hold onto. The falls were cold and very nice. I think the hike to Waipio Falls on The Big Island has ruined all other hike/falls for us bec that was the best one we’ve seen. It is still my favorite thing I’ve done on all the islands (now that I’ve been to all of them). 
Once back, we drove to the Wailua Falls, right off the road. Park, take a few pictures and leave.
Then we drove to Tunnels Beach to snorkle. There are 2 access points to get in. Parking is miserable but I used my NY ninja parking skills to park in a spot e/o else was passing by. The snorkling and the beach was very nice, just nothing compares to the Molokini snorkeling we did in Maui where you see 40 feet down in the water, clear as day. But this was nice too and we saw lots of fish, though no turtles :-/  .
Once up there we called the Chabad rabbi, Michoel Goldman just to say shalom alechem. Really nice guy with a great story and doing some wonderful things. We made it back to Po’ipu Beach Park for sunset again. Very nice.

Friday:  We spent the morning walking around the GHK and saw even more of this amazing place. We chilled by the pool though even at 10am, it was hard to find 2 beach chairs together. Seems that everyone comes down to puts towels on the chairs to reserve them and then goes to eat breakfast or do whatever. It’s disgusting but I would do it next time, as it really is the only way to get good chairs.
At checkout I told the lady that we had a leak and wet carpet in the suite the whole time. Engineering was in there like 4 times trying to fix it and by Thursday they offered to switch rooms which we weren’t gonna do when we’re checking out the next day. She went to the back room and came back to tell me “you have no charges”. They forgave the resort fee and other fees and charges to the room! A little over $200 was waived, a more than fair resolution. We went to airport to go to Honolulu for shabbos. 

Shabbos in Honolulu: Both myself and mokellman reached out several times to book with  JJ@dansdeals.com  to get the 2 free bags on interisland flights. No response, so I’m not sure that they do that anymore. Maybe someone can clarify.
Anyways, I again found flights $12 cheaper on Hawaiian Air so i got another $100 credit from Orbitz so it sort of defrayed the $50 cost of 3 bags I paid (less bec i signed up for their mileage program). We got a CTS from Hertz  HNL upgraded from a Maxima.
The second I pulled into traffic in Honolulu, I could feel all the relaxation from Kauai melt away and the tension in my neck and shoulder muscles tense up. Welcome to the big city. Originally we made reservations by the Ala Manoa hotel where the Chabad is. The rabbi told me they don't do shabbos accommodations anymore so the Modern and Prince hotels are the shabbos friendly one’s.
We had a voucher to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. This place was a zoo. It’s like 5 hotels in one with one check/lobby area. Soooo many Japanese. Seriously, I would say about 70% of the whole Waikiki Beach was Asian (not that there’s anything wrong with that #seinfeldreference). I called ahead and the manager said they are familiar with shabbos and would accomodate. They put us in the 5th floor of the Diamond Tower which helped, and the stairwell had no sensors and constantly lit. The hotel was 15-20 min walk away from Chabad. Chabad was $70pp for the whole shabbos, I guess it’s a small price to have all minyanim and hot kosher food in the middle of no where. Motzi Shabbos, we just chilled at one of the hotel bars with nice live music.

Sunday: we were on the north shore getting a surf lesson from Buttons Surf School by 10am. We got lessons from a groupon. It was ok and our instructor, AL,  was eh. The waves were better in a reefy area so we got a little scraped up so maybe bring water shoes just in case. My back and neck were killing by the end from staying in the position and paddling so much. My wife got up on the board a few times and I kinda did once. Happy I did it, but maybe it was just the waves or our particular instructor. Tip: drink a lot before hand and use ALOT of sunscreen.
From there we went to tripadvisors #1 beach in America and #8 in the world, Lanikai Beach. Parking here too was horrific but my NY ninja parking skills once again came in handy and we got a good spot. The water was a special type of green/blue that I've never seen before and the mountains in the background really make it something unforgettable.
From there we went to Pearl Harbor. We werent gonna be from the first ones there to go on a tour, so we just walked around the plaza, read a few signs, saw a few missiles and left. It just felt too unAmerican to go and not see Pearl Harbor.
Then we went back to the hotel to chill by the pool. We made good use of their hospitality room (reservation required), got yummy chicken sandwiches from Oahu Kosher and off to the airport for our 9:15pm flight.
They were asking for volunteers to be bumped ($400+free night at hotel and economy comfort on next flight) and I imagine the 915 to LAX is always the busiest. Had we not been away from our kids for a week, we probably would have taken the bump offer. Our flight back was uneventful other than getting Kosher for Passover meals on our business class flights from LAX-JFK. Nothing a $50 Delta voucher cannot solve…..

Some thoughts from this trip
1) If you only experience of Hawaii was the Island of Oahu, you’ve never truly experienced Hawaii.
2) My favorite Islands are ranked in this order: A tie between TBI & Kauai, then Maui, Oahu with Oahu a distant 4th
3) for 5 days I was the the last jew in America (maybe the world) to daven mincha (espeicially on the day I was at Polihale for sunset). Everyone’s favorite tuneh bygul mokellman might say he was but davening after shkia in my book doesn't work  ;-)

Here is the link to some of the pics i took. Disclaimer: these pics DO NOT do justice to what we saw. I am not a good photographer. Also, in the background of a couple of pictures are ppl and they may be not be dressed like bais yaakov girls. I tried to use pics without ppl but kauai is not a deserted island. I put in the description some narrative so u could keep track of what i took pics of
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11746148@N05/sets/72157646972324292/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:33:06 AM by arid »

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 29, 2014, 12:18:07 AM »
Nice TR!

Offline arid