Author Topic: Oahu, HI Master Thread  (Read 106735 times)

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Oahu, HI Master Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2016, 03:48:40 PM »
any updated info on hotels that are shabbos ready? Last time we stayed at the hyatt regency which worked out well but I'm trying to stay a little closer to the chabad this time.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2016, 05:53:23 PM »
any updated info on hotels that are shabbos ready? Last time we stayed at the hyatt regency which worked out well but I'm trying to stay a little closer to the chabad this time.
Check out PBoruch's TR,

iirc he stayed shabbos at the closest hotel to chabad

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2016, 05:57:24 PM »
Check out PBoruch's TR,

iirc he stayed shabbos at the closest hotel to chabad

thanks. still not used to separate threads for each TR

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2016, 12:13:13 PM »
My husband are planning our trip for the end of January.  Our 24 year old daughter wants to come.  What hotel would have a suite-like (reasonably priced) room on Oahu? Preferably near Chabad.  And Shabbos friendly.

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline bennnnnooo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »
Anybody in oahu (Waikiki) now that wants two free beach chairs ? Purchased from Walmart, too big to take home. Let me know asap.

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2017, 05:18:01 PM »
My husband are planning our trip for the end of January.  Our 24 year old daughter wants to come.  What hotel would have a suite-like (reasonably priced) room on Oahu? Preferably near Chabad.  And Shabbos friendly.
Check PBaruchs TR he says the Ala Moana hotel is the closest to chabad(& I'm sure he got a suite as they were 5 people )

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2017, 05:24:27 PM »
I stayed in Ala moana but it was pre- DDF so I just had a regular room. Next door to chabad and very helpful with shabbat

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2017, 05:26:31 PM »
I stayed in Ala moana but it was pre- DDF so I just had a regular room. Next door to chabad and very helpful with shabbat

many reports indicate that this is no longer true

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2017, 05:27:26 PM »
many reports indicate that this is no longer true
this was 5 years ago for me. Would never stay there now anyway

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2017, 09:05:53 AM »
Just spent shabbos at the Hilton Hawaiian Village- rainbow tower. The stairwell is shabbos friendly.

Offline Shua

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 01, 2017, 10:47:09 PM »
So I would like to see Pearl Harbor on the way back to NYC from Kauai. The flight from HNL to NYC is at 3PM. Ideally I would like to take a 10:10 AM from kauai that gets me in to HNL at 10:50 AM. That would leave me with a bit over 4 hours to deplane, see pearl harbor and check back in to the airport for my flight back to NYC. I see that pearl harbor is about 15 minutes away from the airport. I also saw on pearl harbors website that a tour last around and hour and 15 minutes (for the USS Arizona memorial). I would like to make the 12PM tour.

So my questions are:

1)If I take the 12PM tour, I would get back to the airport at 1:30-1:45 PM . Is that enough time before my 3PM flight? (I would have checked in in Kauai earlier on in the day). I also have TSA pre.

2)Will my luggage check through from Kauai to NYC? I dont want to shlep my luggage to pearl harbor. All flights are HA.

3)While I see that the minimum time to spend at pearl harbor is an hour and 15 minutes, I will hopefully get there at around 11:30 (as my flight lands at 10:50) so I can check out one of the other museums. That all said is 2 hours too little time? While there are earlier flights from LIH to HNL, it is a) more expensive (about $100 a person) and b) would mean we would have to wake up really early which we would rather not do. Im ok with skipping the bowfin and the Missouri.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #191 on: May 01, 2017, 11:18:33 PM »
If you don't have a reservation in advance Pearl Harbor has long lines and you may need to wait a while for a tour.

I'm skeptical on the feasibility unless you have advance tickets. And your times seem hopelessly optimistic. Off the plane and in a taxi within 10 minutes?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shua

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 02, 2017, 12:15:14 AM »
Agreed, I am going to try to get the advanced tickets. Still more than 2 months out so will hopefully be able to get them. If I do get the 12PM tour, will landing at 10:50 allow me enough time to make it into Pearl Harbor at 12? And am I leaving enough time to catch my 3PM time (if I get back to the airport at 1:45ish?)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #193 on: May 02, 2017, 12:17:18 AM »
Should be doable, assuming you get the tickets.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shua

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 02, 2017, 12:32:22 AM »
Ok thanks. And my luggage should check straight through to nyc from LIH, correct? Only reason why I'm worried is because I saw somewhere that over a 4 hour domestic flight you would have to pick up your luggage (but I think that's if it's different airlines but not 100% sure)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 02, 2017, 12:33:35 AM »
It will go through.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 02, 2017, 10:35:25 AM »
So I would like to see Pearl Harbor on the way back to NYC from Kauai. The flight from HNL to NYC is at 3PM. Ideally I would like to take a 10:10 AM from kauai that gets me in to HNL at 10:50 AM. That would leave me with a bit over 4 hours to deplane, see pearl harbor and check back in to the airport for my flight back to NYC. I see that pearl harbor is about 15 minutes away from the airport. I also saw on pearl harbors website that a tour last around and hour and 15 minutes (for the USS Arizona memorial). I would like to make the 12PM tour.

So my questions are:

1)If I take the 12PM tour, I would get back to the airport at 1:30-1:45 PM . Is that enough time before my 3PM flight? (I would have checked in in Kauai earlier on in the day). I also have TSA pre.

2)Will my luggage check through from Kauai to NYC? I dont want to shlep my luggage to pearl harbor. All flights are HA.

3)While I see that the minimum time to spend at pearl harbor is an hour and 15 minutes, I will hopefully get there at around 11:30 (as my flight lands at 10:50) so I can check out one of the other museums. That all said is 2 hours too little time? While there are earlier flights from LIH to HNL, it is a) more expensive (about $100 a person) and b) would mean we would have to wake up really early which we would rather not do. Im ok with skipping the bowfin and the Missouri.

Keep in mind that you can't bring in any bags, regardless of size. They have a bag check, but you'd need to factor time for that as well.

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 03, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »
Keep in mind that you can't bring in any bags, regardless of size. They have a bag check, but you'd need to factor time for that as well.
This.  You'd need to bag check all carry on, which likely includes KSML for the long way back.  I can't remember the form of the bag check as I didn't use it (maybe there are lockers?), but possible Halachic issues? 
44/50, 46/63

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 03, 2017, 07:24:34 AM »
This.  You'd need to bag check all carry on, which likely includes KSML for the long way back.  I can't remember the form of the bag check as I didn't use it (maybe there are lockers?), but possible Halachic issues?
Only if you don't deal your food. Also, not a problem unless red meat anyway.

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 03, 2017, 01:11:59 PM »
if one flies with united from ny to hnl and on same ticket continues to maui.
will luggage be checked through to ogg? or you have to recheck?
does it make a difference if connection is hawaiin airlines or island air?
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)