Recommended Hotels:
Great experience:

Good Value:

Shabbos/Yom Tov In Florence:

Recommended Activities:

Trips Reports:
jj1000, Eli, Chapshnell, @Yehuda, @Mootkim
« Last edited by Mootkim on December 10, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »

Author Topic: Florence Italy master thread  (Read 110644 times)

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Florence Italy master thread
« on: May 18, 2012, 05:31:54 PM »
I can't believe that Florence doesn't seem to have its own thread, just assorted mentions in the Venice and Rome forums. Looking for Florence for 2 days midweek - am I correct that there's no minyan there except on Shabbos? And I see Ruth's Kitchen, but it's under the supervision of the local Chief Rabbi. Does anybody have any information about whether it's reliable or better to stay away?

Any recommendations for lodging? And as far as activities, I'm planning to see Ufizzi and Academie, Pitti Palace, Ponte Vecchio, and the shul/museum. Any other must sees? Thanks!

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Florence Italy master thread
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 06:05:42 PM »
I can't believe that Florence doesn't seem to have its own thread, just assorted mentions in the Venice and Rome forums. Looking for Florence for 2 days midweek - am I correct that there's no minyan there except on Shabbos? And I see Ruth's Kitchen, but it's under the supervision of the local Chief Rabbi. Does anybody have any information about whether it's reliable or better to stay away?

Any recommendations for lodging? And as far as activities, I'm planning to see Ufizzi and Academie, Pitti Palace, Ponte Vecchio, and the shul/museum. Any other must sees? Thanks!
I was recommended to stay away, YLORMV.

I think you got everything.

In my pre ddf days I stayed at hotel axial in the middle of the pedestrian area in the middle of town for $115/night. Nothing special but it got the job done
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline moish

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Re: Florence Italy master thread
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »
theres a market not too far from the shul that sells and heats up prepackaged rustichelli meals

i would download rick steves free city audio guide for a tour which ends at ponte vecchio. you can also get a nice view from the bell tower near the cathedral

there is also a jewish tour of florence, but as i didnt go on it, i cannot recommend either way

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »
I took a city tour, interesting and reasonably priced.
Also there it's a hill overlooking the city which is pretty

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 02:38:18 PM »
An excerpt from my trip report: "    Florence- A beautiful city. Some would call it the art capitol of the world. There is no full time shliach only on Shabbos and tourist season. There is a kosher restaurant called Ruth’s and around the corner a kosher market that sells sandwiches and sometimes pizza (hechsher?). Didn’t eat at either so I can’t report on the food. The 3 most famous museums are the Uffizi, pitti, and achedamia. I was fortunate to get there for culture week when every museum in Italy is free so I am not sure about prices for these museums. Uffizi has more sculptures than I knew existed in the world. There were some notable ones that I am sure everyone knows from gemara and Jewish history so those are cool to see and put a name with a face. The ceiling is stunning too it is an amazing museum although a bit repetitive and long. Don’t get me wrong I would encourage everyone to go there it is really amazing how detailed and realistic these thousands of years old sculptures are. The Pitti is a modern art museum, (do not be confused with the modern art of nowadays when they say modern they mean the time period of the the 1800’s). The art was very nice. The whole museum can probably be done in 30 min. maybe stretched out to an hour in general I always skip portraits because they bore me to death. The museum Achedamia is one of the reasons I went to Florence to see Michelangelo’s famous David. David definitely lived up to expectations it was the most beautiful sculpture I have ever seen in my life and this is after seeing about 500 at the Uffizi. The rest of the city is just plain pretty with a river flowing through the middle random sculptures all over and a ton more museums which I unfortunately did not have time to see… The Ponte Vecchio Bridge is famous nice walk but nothing to special in my opinion, just a ton of expensive jewelry I will never buy. Parking is a bit hard to find but it’s not too expensive once you do. The Portuguese shul is right next to the kosher places and is stunning definitely a must see. The leather market is very neat. There is one vender who is in love with Jews especially if you are wearing a yalmuka. He literally sold me stuff 30 euro cheaper than everyone else even with bargaining. You may need to shmooz with him but it’s worth it. IIRC His name is Marko just ask for him, he is the one that loves Israel. There may be 2 leather markets so make sure you are at the one closest to the Uffizi museum. There is also an antique market but it’s not nearly as large and varied as the one in Warsaw. I wish I had more time for other museums in Florence. I heard there is an amazing museum full of different types of war armors. Next time…"
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Mtl18

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:48:56 AM »
I'm planning on taking an early Thursday morning train to Florence (from Rome) and getting in one day there before moving onto venice.

I'd like to see the Accademia, Uffize and the synagogue, and then probably do a rick steve self guided tour/walk.

Q) I'll be in Venice from Friday morning to Tuesday noon. Do you suggest staying overnight in Florence Thursday night or moving onto venice thursday night instead?

How does it work to see the shul? are there tours? about how long should I put aside for this?

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
I would recommend staying overnight in Florence. It's a gorgeous city with a lot of charm and lots to see, and I wouldn't want to have to fly through it in order to make a train to Venice, especially if you're waking up that morning in Rome.

When we were there in the spring the shul didn't have guided tours. You just paid your admission fee and explored yourself. You don't need more than an hour to see it all, but also keep in mind that it's not in the same part of Florence as many of the other attractions and is a solid 10-15 minute walk each way from most everything else.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »
I would recommend staying overnight in Florence. It's a gorgeous city with a lot of charm and lots to see, and I wouldn't want to have to fly through it in order to make a train to Venice, especially if you're waking up that morning in Rome.

When we were there in the spring the shul didn't have guided tours. You just paid your admission fee and explored yourself. You don't need more than an hour to see it all, but also keep in mind that it's not in the same part of Florence as many of the other attractions and is a solid 10-15 minute walk each way from most everything else.
+1, especially since as it is in think you have too much time in Venice
Keep in mind the shul is only open every other half hour (the other half hour you cash check out the museum but not that much to see)

Offline Mtl18

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 12:18:52 PM »
A stayover it is. Hotels are much cheaper in Florence, could find for <40$ a night :) I saw Ruths mentioned above. Is it reliable hechsher?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »

+1

Also I like your plan for the city that's basically the most important stuff. I would suggest being on one of the bridges for sunset to watch it over the river I got some beautiful pictures there. If you plan on going to the leather market I posted in my trip report the name of a guy who loves Jews and will sell you at basically cost value if you shmooze with him.

A stayover it is. Hotels are much cheaper in Florence, could find for <40$ a night :) I saw Ruths mentioned above. Is it reliable hechsher?

I saw many frum people eating there. Although I'm not sure who the hechsher is under.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 12:21:36 PM »
Depends who you ask

Offline Yossi.

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 12:25:09 PM »

+1 but it is a very nice walk through the smalls streets... don't forget to grab a bite at Ruth (on the same street as the synagogue). I'm not sure if they still have it (I was there 3 years ago) but they had a great student lunch with pizza or pasta and desert and drink for 10 euros :)

I also did not get a guided tour of the synagogue but I saw a group inside with a guide (not sure if it was a guide from the synagogue or the group itself though...) Anyways, if you go upstairs, there is a lady that just loves talking to visitors and she can explain you whatever you want...

Offline world2see

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 02:51:40 PM »
when i was there a couple years back there was a minyan on mondays and thursdays in the small room to the side of the main shul, the shul itself is really nice. there was a small kosher grocery up the block from the shul. as for the town it can all be done in one day,not too large,really nice. the Westin was a nice hotel if your looking

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »
With the three museums mentioned above, would it be crazy to only spend 1/2 day in Florence (as well as overnight)?

We're planning on going in the early summer so I expect crowds, but is it worth battling them to see David at the Academie?

Can anyone report back on the Rick Steve's guided tour? Was it good?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 06:12:30 PM »
With the three museums mentioned above, would it be crazy to only spend 1/2 day in Florence (as well as overnight)?

We're planning on going in the early summer so I expect crowds, but is it worth battling them to see David at the Academie?
Yes.
I would dedicate a full day or most of it. Take a city tour. See the David. See the shul.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »
Yes.
I would dedicate a full day or most of it. Take a city tour. See the David. See the shul.

So it's worth it to try to get to Florence early morning and spend most of the day instead of spending more time in Tuscany?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 06:43:45 PM »
So it's worth it to try to get to Florence early morning and spend most of the day instead of spending more time in Tuscany?
Never been to Tuscany but those three activities plus getting to the lookout point over the city are must do's in Florence. Depends on your priorities. I happen to favor nature over city stuff so maybe more time in Tuscany

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 07:04:54 PM »
Never been to Tuscany but those three activities plus getting to the lookout point over the city are must do's in Florence. Depends on your priorities. I happen to favor nature over city stuff so maybe more time in Tuscany
+1 to nature. I guess I have time to plan the exact details. Where did you stay in Florence?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »
My pre-DD days
Hotel name: Axial Hotel Florence
Address:
Via dei Calzaiuoli, 11
Florence, IT 50122
$232 total for two nights with Orbitz coupon
Got there late Wednesday night. Left Friday morning

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 07:31:16 PM »
My pre-DD days
Hotel name: Axial Hotel Florence
Address:
Via dei Calzaiuoli, 11
Florence, IT 50122
$232 total for two nights with Orbitz coupon
Got there late Wednesday night. Left Friday morning
Would you stay there now it at the Westin Excelsior Florence for 25k/night? Was the Axial nice?