Author Topic: Hyatt vs. Starwood vs. Marriott  (Read 9628 times)

Offline jkchan83

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hyatt vs. Starwood vs. Marriott
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:47:08 AM »
I searched and couldn't find a good comparison thread. I'm trying to determine how to best optimize my limited hotel stays. Due to limited stays, most of my points will be earned via credit card spending. My wife and I are planning a British Isles trip and would like the most bang for our buck on the hotel. I also participate in Ultimate Rewards, so I can shift points to Hyatt or Marriott (but mostly use it for miles on UA).

I recently got a UA Club card which gives me Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum. If I were to get a Hyatt card, I would wait until my status kicked in to get better sign-up rewards.

Most people feel that Starwood points are the best value. However, given limited stays, I am not likely to reach Gold level. It also appears that the current SPG Amex does not guarantee a higher level, but only offers a 20% reduction in the stays or nights to reach Gold level.

Lastly, I have been a Marriott Rewards member in the past when I did a lot more business traveling. (Lost my Elite status 2 years ago.) The Chase Marriott CC offer seems appealing for up to 6 free nights and the minimum Silver Elite level.

So, the question I am posing is this: on which hotel rewards program should I focus my spending and stays? Is the value of Hyatt Platinum or Marriott Silver Elite worth more than the Starwood base-level points?

One more detailed question: I have some business travel coming up to San Antonio for a conference. The conference hotel choices are 2 Hyatt's and 2 Marriott's. There is a Four Points (cheaper) nearby as well as a Westin (similar price to conference hotels). What would you pick?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Re: Hyatt vs. Starwood vs. Marriott
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 01:08:27 PM »
I'm the last person to look at for hotel advice, but some things to consider.
1) A base SPG point is the most valuable, followed by Hyatt.
2) There are tons of bonus's out there for stays, so your first step should be to research those. Mommy Points just had a great example of how she maximized this for some stays.
3) Try to book through the UR portal (or s/t similar) to maximize the miles on the stay.

Now I'll let the experts chime in.

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 01:11:20 PM »

Most people feel that Starwood points are the best value. However, given limited stays, I am not likely to reach Gold level. It also appears that the current SPG Amex does not guarantee a higher level, but only offers a 20% reduction in the stays or nights to reach Gold level.

Thanks in advance.
You can become Gold by just calling and asking nicely.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 01:42:10 PM »
Those 6 free Marriott nights are not at the higher category hotels. Something to consider.
Also where do you plan on travelling? There are fewer Hyatt hotels than the others. Also something to take into account.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »
A QUICK PHONE CALL TO SPG (Sorry about CAPS) can many times get you Gold free. I myself called them and told them that Im getting married... I want gold.... Im Platinum in Priority Club, Marriott Silver, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold,  Hyatt Diamond and the SPG Challenge is very nice, but Im not going to cut it..... Ok we will makre you gold free for a year.
Then I called in again on another account and made a reservation.... I told them the person that is going to be in the room with me id SPG Gold can you do anything for me. He said no.... please.... OK I got an email a second later... Welcome... your Golden!

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 03:09:33 PM »
A QUICK PHONE CALL TO SPG (Sorry about CAPS) can many times get you Gold free. I myself called them and told them that Im getting married... I want gold.... Im Platinum in Priority Club, Marriott Silver, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold,  Hyatt Diamond and the SPG Challenge is very nice, but Im not going to cut it..... Ok we will makre you gold free for a year.
Then I called in again on another account and made a reservation.... I told them the person that is going to be in the room with me id SPG Gold can you do anything for me. He said no.... please.... OK I got an email a second later... Welcome... your Golden!
Like I said
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »
a litytle more descriptive

Offline jkchan83

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 07:01:43 AM »
Those 6 free Marriott nights are not at the higher category hotels. Something to consider.
Also where do you plan on travelling? There are fewer Hyatt hotels than the others. Also something to take into account.

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to start with my travel plans and work backward. My wife and I are planning a trip to London, Scotland (prob. Edinburgh), and Ireland. Hyatt vs. Starwood for those destinations?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 07:39:18 AM »
AFAIK there is no hyatt in Ireland.
In Dublin there's a nice Sheraton, see a trip report on thepointsguy.com
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline jkchan83

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 09:15:31 AM »
AFAIK there is no hyatt in Ireland.
In Dublin there's a nice Sheraton, see a trip report on thepointsguy.com

There's also no Hyatt in Scotland. The closest is in Birmingham, England. Lastly, it seems like the Hyatt rewards required is much higher than Starwood. Guess we are going with SPG.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 03:26:29 PM »
There are many good Radisson options at the places you are are going to including The Mayfair in London (One of the top hotels) and Radisson Blues in all 3 places. If you need Club Carlson points PM me and I'd be happy to sell or trade with you.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 01:49:09 AM »
There are many good Radisson options at the places you are are going to including The Mayfair in London (One of the top hotels) and Radisson Blues in all 3 places. If you need Club Carlson points PM me and I'd be happy to sell or trade with you.
If you go this route, don't forget about the promo that Carlson is running now. You can get enough points for a free night stay, by staying only one night.