Author Topic: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread  (Read 112584 times)

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
Re: Kosher Symbol?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 07:02:15 AM »
That's the problem, no one wants to talk about anything.  Most Kashrus agencies "don't comment" on the reliability of other certifiers, so we hit a brick wall.  No body to talk to...
What type of stories?  I haven't heard them.
As I said I don't know the details of the "major" story that prompted most rabbanim to get up in shul and say that people should not rely on them, but they did have a bunch of the regular stories of owners getting busted doing what they weren't supposed to do. Most agencies have a few of these stories, but I guess either Va'ad had more than acceptable, or the rabanim felt they were being negligent. I really don't know much about the issue, except that when I was a kid, over the course of a few weeks in every frum shul in Flatbush the Rav got up and said there is a problem with them
Create professional looking itineraries.
Free trial! Check out eliteitinerary.com
Code:DD

Offline Shotguns

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 07:53:09 AM »
Anyone know if ikc is a reliable hechsher

Offline Shotguns

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 07:54:02 AM »
It stands for international kosher council

Online moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 08:20:16 AM »
I don't know about Gournish,
i once heard that gornish is good - but only for gornisht, such as spring water, aluminum pans etc.

can anyone confirm?

Offline Ebaystores

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 08:23:40 AM »
Having dealt with Kehillah Kashrus I will say one of the things that makes them stand hand and shoulders aboveothers is that they are ran by a few rabbonim, chassidish & litvish, and they do not get paid! To them it is strictly about the community service / kashrus. Therefore they are not afraid of losing business by stripping hashgacha off a place.
I am doing the first week of Bike 4 Friendship. http://sponsor.bike4friendship.org/mendy

Offline robi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 10:02:58 AM »
@ebaystores, I just received an email from star k that they don't recommend angry orchard...
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline Ebaystores

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
@robi I am waiting for a call back from them to find out why that is so. I believe its just a miscommunication but I will get back to you.
I am doing the first week of Bike 4 Friendship. http://sponsor.bike4friendship.org/mendy

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »
@robi I am waiting for a call back from them to find out why that is so. I believe its just a miscommunication but I will get back to you.
tnx. appreciate it

Offline Ebaystores

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 01:44:07 PM »
@Robi at this time a complication has arose and I don't recommend this product. I will keep you posted as I hope it is resolved.

Offline Ebaystores

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »
If a mod can remove my previous post I would appreciate it. (The one where I said it is fine)

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »
@Robi at this time a complication has arose and I don't recommend this product. I will keep you posted as I hope it is resolved.
thnx

Offline Ebaystores

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »
np, I hope the status on it changes.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Kashrus
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 03:24:01 PM »
I know there has been talk of starting a Kashrus Master Thread. I searched and couldn't find a thread dedicated to Kashrus. I choose GD over JS to keep this thread civil and informative.

I have a question about a Kashrus orginization in Mexico called ka-kosher, link to their website. See below for a picture of their stamp/seal. It says on the website that the Rav Hamachshir is R' Chaim Cohen, a graduate of BMG and used to work for the OK. HAs anyone heard of him/them? Are they reliable?

I asked my friend from Mexico today about the Hechsherim there.

He says that there are basically 2 Hechsherim that are trusted, KMD which is approved by Star-K and is the Hechsher of the Syrian community ie; the majority of religious Jews living there. The second one he mentioned is the אא Hechsher from the Ashkenazi community.  When I looked again at the logo I figured he meant the one posted on this page. After some searching though, I found this page that has info of a different Hechsher that also uses the אא symbol, also known as the Orthodox Vaad Ha Kashrus of the Ashkenazi Kehila in Mexico. I am sure my friend was referring to the KVאא Hechsher, and not KA Kosher.

I made this post a little lengthy as some may mistake one Mexican אא Hechsher for another.
Live forever or die trying.

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
FYI for what ever its worth.
Our Rav gave a drasha in shul this past shabbos here in Israel.

He said that the shmura matza with the Eida Chareidis Badatz hechsher he bought last year had a bunch of matza kefulos, and some other issues. When he called them up, they said that he had to read their kashrus handbook which said that all the matzos have to be checked, even if they have have their hechsher on it. So he said to not trust a product simply due to the hechser on it.

He also said that he met with a group of them to ask questions, and he asked about relying on the rabbanut hechsher for fruits and veggies. He was told that "Since we are from the Eida Chareidis, we can't tell you that you can rely on their hechsher, even though you are allowed to rely on their hechsher."  :)   (approx quote since I couldn't write it down on shabbos)

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2013, 03:59:35 PM »
He also said that he met with a group of them to ask questions, and he asked about relying on the rabbanut hechsher for fruits and veggies. He was told that "Since we are from the Eida Chareidis, we can't tell you that you can rely on their hechsher, even though you are allowed to rely on their hechsher."  :)   (approx quote since I couldn't write it down on shabbos)

Welcome to Israel.

And welcome to realizing that the Eida Chareidis was always one big facade, pretending like they are so Machmir that they won't touch anything from any other Hechsher.

And B"H for realizing the fact that they aren't Machmir every. single. chumra. as they pretend to be.
Live forever or die trying.