Poll

Is your wife allowed to drive? (Females: Are you allowed to drive?)

Yes
130 (75.1%)
No
43 (24.9%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Author Topic: Why do some Jewish communities prohibit women from driving?  (Read 123789 times)

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Why do some Jewish communities prohibit women from driving?
« Reply #660 on: May 11, 2023, 10:41:39 PM »
I made the assumption because she was crossing route 70 at 10:00 at night with a couple kids. The only frum people I've ever seen cross that road were chassidish women - who I assumed werent drivers. Guess I made the wrong assumption.

all makes sense
she had two teenage daughters with her
also there is a cross walk and light there for a reason and it has been there way before belz was
i see all kinds of people crossing there

Offline WayBackMachine

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 11, 2023, 11:31:04 PM »
I made the assumption because she was crossing route 70 at 10:00 at night with a couple kids. The only frum people I've ever seen cross that road were chassidish women - who I assumed werent drivers. Guess I made the wrong assumption.
they went on a casual walk

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline elazarb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 12, 2023, 12:42:52 AM »
Under rt 70 right next to new hampshire theres actually a tunnel. I used to use it to cross the 70 many years ago. Its probably made for rainwater or something like that and sometimes it would be flooded, but I wonder how much it would cost to repurpose it and (others like it if there are more) to be for everyone to cross the 70 with.

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #664 on: May 12, 2023, 11:22:42 AM »
Before they started construction on Tzomet Bar Ilan, they had a community meeting to discuss the changes. Among other things, they were sending traffic down the nearby side streets because various turns were being prohibited during the construction. Our community was particularly upset because there are more than eight schools and yeshivos in the neighborhood and thousands of kids cross that street daily. When someone brought up a pedestrian bridge, the city rep basically said, "There are 22 pedestrian bridges in Tel Aviv and no one uses them." Just because a bridge exists doesn't mean the people crossing won't take the easy and unsafe way out (and it will be worse if there is no official crosswalk because of the official bridge).
I can't say I agree with the lady but she does have a point. (There were other, more fundamental issues with it or we would have fought harder.)
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 12, 2023, 11:48:02 AM »
Before they started construction on Tzomet Bar Ilan, they had a community meeting to discuss the changes. Among other things, they were sending traffic down the nearby side streets because various turns were being prohibited during the construction. Our community was particularly upset because there are more than eight schools and yeshivos in the neighborhood and thousands of kids cross that street daily. When someone brought up a pedestrian bridge, the city rep basically said, "There are 22 pedestrian bridges in Tel Aviv and no one uses them." Just because a bridge exists doesn't mean the people crossing won't take the easy and unsafe way out (and it will be worse if there is no official crosswalk because of the official bridge).
I can't say I agree with the lady but she does have a point. (There were other, more fundamental issues with it or we would have fought harder.)
that is true there were always people doing something they aren't supposed to be doing
but someone walking with children I assume would put in the extra effort to use the safer option

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #666 on: May 12, 2023, 12:21:10 PM »
I think there is a good chance many women will be afraid to go across a pedestrian bridge there in the middle of the night.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #667 on: May 12, 2023, 12:54:41 PM »
I think there is a good chance many women will be afraid to go across a pedestrian bridge there in the middle of the night.

Is there an option for some kind of automatic safety barriers that would go up whenever the light is red?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 12, 2023, 01:25:20 PM »

10pm is not middle of night and if it is well lit i don't see what the problem would be. That being said don't think anyone should be there middle of the night 

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 12, 2023, 04:03:47 PM »
that is true there were always people doing something they aren't supposed to be doing
but someone walking with children I assume would put in the extra effort to use the safer option
It's a lot of work if you're wheeling a child
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline liosac

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #672 on: September 24, 2023, 10:54:11 AM »
Well, at least those women can't drive ::)
Clearly we can see SA only happening in communities that "prohibit women from driving"
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Online Euclid

• View Profile
Why do some Jewish communities prohibit women from driving?
« Reply #673 on: September 24, 2023, 11:09:19 AM »
Clearly we can see SA only happening in communities that "prohibit women from driving"
SA happened multiple times in taxis to women who can't drive. SA also happens in taxis to women who *could* drive, therefore prohibiting women from driving was not a factor in having these women assaulted. Did I get it right?

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #674 on: September 24, 2023, 11:16:41 AM »
SA happened multiple times in taxis to women who can't drive. SA also happens in taxis to women who *could* drive, therefore prohibiting women from driving was not a factor in having these women assaulted. Did I get it right?
Hence if we stop prohibiting women from driving the SA will stop.
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #675 on: September 24, 2023, 11:35:42 AM »
Uh. SA has happened to zero frum women in taxis in CLE, because the women here all drive.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline liosac

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 24, 2023, 12:44:01 PM »
These women are vulnerable. Most don’t have the capability to track a ride or even record video. The number of women not driving in Monsey has far outstripped supply and that has allowed unvetted lowlife drivers to pick up much of the business. These cars often have tinted windows and unscrupulous drivers. Multiple chassidish women have unfortunately been assaulted in the last short while. One women was assaulted for HOURS. No car tracking or other security measures. No, this does not take place with any sort of frequency in areas where Jewish women drive or use legitimate ride hailing apps.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 12:49:15 PM by liosac »

Online Sam 77

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 24, 2023, 12:54:23 PM »
These women are vulnerable. Most don’t have the capability to track a ride or even record video. The number of women not driving in Monsey has far outstripped supply and that has allowed unvetted lowlife drivers to pick up much of the business. These cars often have tinted windows and unscrupulous drivers. Multiple chassidish women have unfortunately been assaulted in the last short while. One women was assaulted for HOURS. No car tracking or other security measures. No, this does not take place with any sort of frequency in areas where Jewish women drive or use legitimate ride hailing apps.
This conversation is great for a day like today

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 24, 2023, 12:54:40 PM »

Couple that with severe naivety, the girl just started to work and the driver offers her his phone number so she can call him directly for her daily commute at a better price, what can be better?? :(
Either you educate the girls/women of the immense dangers, they should only go with vetted and trackable companies, female drivers etc. or take the tough choice of lifting the driving ban.